#1 Posted by cosi83 (392 posts) -

I have been playing games for twenty years but turn based and the FF games never really caught my interest. Only Devil Survivor on the DS did i complete

A bunch of FF games are on sale on PSN. So I'm asking if you FF fans think this game will hold up today or should I wait on a possible revamp?

On a related note, Dragons Dogma is the best game of the year! Eh...guess it's not really that related but I had to get that out there!

#2 Posted by mosespippy (4043 posts) -

I first played it in 2005 and I can still go back to it so I think it holds up. The issue with FF7 is that a lot of people find it starts slow and they don't like it due to that first impression. I certainly had trouble at the start (since it was my first RPG). The manual (which is viewable on the PSN version) has a walkthrough up to the first boss and without that I probably wouldn't have made it past the opening act. I feel like you need a good 4 or 5 hours uninterrupted to start that game off.

#3 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Bargain at that price. People say the graphics are bad but I disagree, the hand painted backgrounds and towns still look great. And if you got a PSP its great for that. The intro to the game is fantastic, I remember playing it in 1999 for the first time, spent like 10 hours in the first city thinking this was were the whole game took place, then finding out there was a whole world outside the city really blew my fucking mind at the time.

#4 Edited by Brad (2875 posts) -

Might be worth waiting for that new PC version to see how improved it is, but then again, for that price you could just get both.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Bargain at that price. People say the graphics are bad but I disagree, the hand painted backgrounds and towns still look great. And if you got a PSP its great for that.

All the backgrounds are CG, unless there's something I'm forgetting.

Staff
#5 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

At that price it would be great to buy it even if you end up not liking it, just for academic purposes alone.

#6 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

it is not a bad game, it is confusing, and melodramatic, and not good looking. But I would totally pay $3.00 for it.

#7 Posted by mwng (921 posts) -

Out of interest, why start at VII?

Also, this thread might help with some informed purchasing decisions. Minimum PSN spend is £5, so may as well get 2 right!

#8 Posted by AlisterCat (5483 posts) -

Don't hold out for a remake but if you PC game maybe wait for the PC version. Won't look better, but it'll run on modern hardware.

#9 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Brad said:

Might be worth waiting for that new PC version to see how improved it is, but then again, for that price you could just get both.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Bargain at that price. People say the graphics are bad but I disagree, the hand painted backgrounds and towns still look great. And if you got a PSP its great for that.

All the backgrounds are CG, unless there's something I'm forgetting.

They all look like drawings to me replicated on a PC I know you hate the game and people say it looks bad but the backgrounds of towns etc still look great to me.

#10 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@mwng said:

Out of interest, why start at VII?

Also, this thread might help with some informed purchasing decisions. Minimum PSN spend is £5, so may as well get 2 right!

I would guess 1, 4, and 7 would be the games you start with when you start FF right? Like the most popular ones that marked an era in the FF franchise?

#11 Edited by ThunderSlash (1561 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: The backgrounds are CG stills. Remember how the game would seemlessly transition to a movie from gameplay and the backgrounds would move around?

Edit: In response to the topic, I'd say the game is worth a shot for that little money. You might end up liking it.

#12 Posted by Izbaadin_Islamabad (71 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@mwng said:

Out of interest, why start at VII?

Also, this thread might help with some informed purchasing decisions. Minimum PSN spend is £5, so may as well get 2 right!

I would guess 1, 4, and 7 would be the games you start with when you start FF right? Like the most popular ones that marked an era in the FF franchise?

Skip 1, go to 4 or 6(the latter), play Chrono Trigger and you're pretty much done with the genre.

#13 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@ThunderSlash said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: The backgrounds are CG stills. Remember how the game would seemlessly transition to a movie from gameplay and the backgrounds would move around?

Edit: In response to the topic, I'd say the game is worth a shot for that little money. You might end up liking it.

I know this but they look really great compared to the Characters on the screen. Hand Painted is not the right word but they sure looked that way.

#14 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@mwng said:

Out of interest, why start at VII?

Also, this thread might help with some informed purchasing decisions. Minimum PSN spend is £5, so may as well get 2 right!

I would guess 1, 4, and 7 would be the games you start with when you start FF right? Like the most popular ones that marked an era in the FF franchise?

Skip 1, go to 4 or 6(the latter), play Chrono Trigger and you're pretty much done with the genre.

God no, Chrono Trigger is a really simple first RPG. You would miss out on the 3D JRPGs, 7,8,9,10 and Lost Odyssey all fantastic,

#15 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@mwng said:

Out of interest, why start at VII?

Also, this thread might help with some informed purchasing decisions. Minimum PSN spend is £5, so may as well get 2 right!

I would guess 1, 4, and 7 would be the games you start with when you start FF right? Like the most popular ones that marked an era in the FF franchise?

Skip 1, go to 4 or 6(the latter), play Chrono Trigger and you're pretty much done with the genre.

Why would people take the advice of someone like you who clearly doesn't enjoy the genre enough to name more than 3 or 4 games?

#16 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

Absolutely. You know what? FF7 is a great game.

For one thing, I don't think the materia system has been beaten in terms of being simple to learn but having really complex possibilities. So that's interesting to get into. I like the big party you build up, and most of the characters therein. It may be really over-wrought at times, but it also has a sense of humour about itself quite often. It's a cool game.

#17 Posted by mwng (921 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos: You're probably right. I've always found it an interesting question though; Where to start in a series of 13 (give or take a few) stand alone (again give or take) games, in a series you have no knowledge of. (Though we are limited to VI, VII, VIII and IX in this case).

I took the far less pragmatic approach and just bought the most recent one at the time when I finally jumped ship from Sega to Sony.

Which is why the evil nostalgia goggles make IX my favorite.

#18 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@mwng: To me FF7 was the first game I played that had a interesting story. I had only really played Sierra adventure games and Tekken up until that point. So I am really biased when it comes where to start. 9 is probably the most simple game as it plays like a snes JRPG, not alot of depth to the fighting system. But 7 just has the best story and characters IMO.

#19 Posted by camp7203 (121 posts) -

You could always start with 14, arguably the worst one ever (they made it free to play for close to a year it was so bad), then work your way back to the good ones. 14, 6, 11, 12, 10, 9, 7, and 8.

#20 Edited by hawkinson76 (355 posts) -

My first thought is no.

However, If you've played 4-6 and/or 8-9, enjoyed them, want more, and can tolerate chunkiness, then maybe.

If you just want polygons wrapped around a FF real time battle system, get the FF4 remake on the DS (but you may want to cheat, because that game is a bitch).

Edit: Now that I have reread the OP, I see that you are looking at Playstaion 1 games. In that case, I would skip 7 and try 8 and 9 if they are available (I can't believe I'm writing that, I hated 8, but it has aged better), but better choices may be Xenogears and Suikoden. I wouldn't suggest anything else from that generation.

#21 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@mwng said:

@SethPhotopoulos: You're probably right. I've always found it an interesting question though; Where to start in a series of 13 (give or take a few) stand alone (again give or take) games, in a series you have no knowledge of. (Though we are limited to VI, VII, VIII and IX in this case).

I took the far less pragmatic approach and just bought the most recent one at the time when I finally jumped ship from Sega to Sony.

Which is why the evil nostalgia goggles make IX my favorite.

When I was writing to you I was legitimately asking a question since I'm not a huge fan of the FF franchise not acting like a smartass. Looking back it might've seemed like I was talking to you matter of factly. I think today in Final Fantasy it's harder to do with you did since FF isn't what it is now. The newest game is FFXIII-2 which came after FFXIV. FFXIII had mixed reactions, FFIV is a failed MMO, and FFXIII-2 is a sequel to FFXIII with mixed reactions. By starting with the older ones that have received critical praise and defined/redefined their franchise, wouldn't it make more sense?

#22 Posted by Izbaadin_Islamabad (71 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@mwng said:

Out of interest, why start at VII?

Also, this thread might help with some informed purchasing decisions. Minimum PSN spend is £5, so may as well get 2 right!

I would guess 1, 4, and 7 would be the games you start with when you start FF right? Like the most popular ones that marked an era in the FF franchise?

Skip 1, go to 4 or 6(the latter), play Chrono Trigger and you're pretty much done with the genre.

Why would people take the advice of someone like you who clearly doesn't enjoy the genre enough to name more than 3 or 4 games?

Because it's a terrible genre suffering from videogame-progeria and I decided to point out the Essential Gamings of that list?

Like if you wanted shooters should I name 3 or 4 shooters to look into to get a sense of the genre or do you prefer someone going "oh you need to play Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare Black Ops, Modern Warfare 3, Modern Warfare 4 AND Battlefield 3 + plus 100 level multiplayer in all of them" no, cut it short, kick up the essentials and don't sweat the details.

#23 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@mwng said:

Out of interest, why start at VII?

Also, this thread might help with some informed purchasing decisions. Minimum PSN spend is £5, so may as well get 2 right!

I would guess 1, 4, and 7 would be the games you start with when you start FF right? Like the most popular ones that marked an era in the FF franchise?

Skip 1, go to 4 or 6(the latter), play Chrono Trigger and you're pretty much done with the genre.

Why would people take the advice of someone like you who clearly doesn't enjoy the genre enough to name more than 3 or 4 games?

Because it's a terrible genre suffering from videogame-progeria and I decided to point out the Essential Gamings of that list?

Like if you wanted shooters should I name 3 or 4 shooters to look into to get a sense of the genre or do you prefer someone going "oh you need to play Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare Black Ops, Modern Warfare 3, Modern Warfare 4 AND Battlefield 3 + plus 100 level multiplayer in all of them" no, cut it short, kick up the essentials and don't sweat the details.

How about you name what you think are the essentials and then let the guy decide wether or not JRPG's are worth his time based on his experience playing those games? People have different tastes from you. Maybe people, I don't know, really like the genre and don't believe it's a piece of shit because it's more tailored towards their tastes? No, you're right, you know everyone will agree with you because you're right about everything gaming. Everyone who disagrees with you is wrong forever.

#24 Posted by Izbaadin_Islamabad (71 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@mwng said:

Out of interest, why start at VII?

Also, this thread might help with some informed purchasing decisions. Minimum PSN spend is £5, so may as well get 2 right!

I would guess 1, 4, and 7 would be the games you start with when you start FF right? Like the most popular ones that marked an era in the FF franchise?

Skip 1, go to 4 or 6(the latter), play Chrono Trigger and you're pretty much done with the genre.

Why would people take the advice of someone like you who clearly doesn't enjoy the genre enough to name more than 3 or 4 games?

Because it's a terrible genre suffering from videogame-progeria and I decided to point out the Essential Gamings of that list?

Like if you wanted shooters should I name 3 or 4 shooters to look into to get a sense of the genre or do you prefer someone going "oh you need to play Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare Black Ops, Modern Warfare 3, Modern Warfare 4 AND Battlefield 3 + plus 100 level multiplayer in all of them" no, cut it short, kick up the essentials and don't sweat the details.

How about you name what you think are the essentials and then let the guy decide wether or not JRPG's are worth his time based on his experience playing those games? People have different tastes from you. Maybe people, I don't know, really like the genre and don't believe it's a piece of shit because it's more tailored towards their tastes? No, you're right, you know everyone will agree with you because you're right about everything gaming. Everyone who disagrees with you is wrong forever.

But I did name the essentials? Check the games out before they were destroyed by super-long summons, insane fans, load times and later on: linearity that would make Call of Duty envious.

#25 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

But I did name the essentials? Check the games out before they were destroyed by super-long summons, insane fans, load times and later on: linearity that would make Call of Duty envious.

No, you named your essentials and made a snide remark about the genre afterwards.

#26 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

The issue with FF7 is that a lot of people find it starts slow and they don't like it due to that first impression.

i've never heard this, and i can't imagine how a terrorist bombing of one of the government's lifestream-draining mako reactors is a slow start! it's so epic! ahhhhhhh

#27 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@mwng said:

@SethPhotopoulos: You're probably right. I've always found it an interesting question though; Where to start in a series of 13 (give or take a few) stand alone (again give or take) games, in a series you have no knowledge of. (Though we are limited to VI, VII, VIII and IX in this case).

I took the far less pragmatic approach and just bought the most recent one at the time when I finally jumped ship from Sega to Sony.

Which is why the evil nostalgia goggles make IX my favorite.

When I was writing to you I was legitimately asking a question since I'm not a huge fan of the FF franchise not acting like a smartass. Looking back it might've seemed like I was talking to you matter of factly. I think today in Final Fantasy it's harder to do with you did since FF isn't what it is now. The newest game is FFXIII-2 which came after FFXIV. FFXIII had mixed reactions, FFIV is a failed MMO, and FFXIII-2 is a sequel to FFXIII with mixed reactions. By starting with the older ones that have received critical praise and defined/redefined their franchise, wouldn't it make more sense?

the answer of where to start is VI.

#28 Edited by Izbaadin_Islamabad (71 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

But I did name the essentials? Check the games out before they were destroyed by super-long summons, insane fans, load times and later on: linearity that would make Call of Duty envious.

No, you named your essentials and made a snide remark about the genre afterwards.

No, I named the essentials in regards to Square and pointed out the rotting corpse of the genre.

But please, enlighten us about all the games you played and recommend the OP to play them all next week. Or do it like me and keep it short and name 3-4 games he should look into if he's curious about the genre.

#29 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

But I did name the essentials? Check the games out before they were destroyed by super-long summons, insane fans, load times and later on: linearity that would make Call of Duty envious.

No, you named your essentials and made a snide remark about the genre afterwards.

No, I named the essentials in regards to Square and pointed out the rotting corpse of the genre.

But please, enlighten us about all the games you played and recommend the OP to play them all next week. Or do it like me and keep it short and name 3-4 games he should look into if he's curious about the genre.

You didn't understand me. Give your recommendations on what games to play and then let the dude decide if that genre is something he'd be interested going deeper into. In fact doing what I'm saying is shorter since you name the games and get the fuck out instead of making some pointless comment about something subjective.

Like this:

Play 4, or 6, and Chrono Trigger.

Hey look, it's shorter than what you wrote. And it leaves the dude/dudette room to make their mind up on their own. Amazing.

#30 Posted by Izbaadin_Islamabad (71 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

But I did name the essentials? Check the games out before they were destroyed by super-long summons, insane fans, load times and later on: linearity that would make Call of Duty envious.

No, you named your essentials and made a snide remark about the genre afterwards.

No, I named the essentials in regards to Square and pointed out the rotting corpse of the genre.

But please, enlighten us about all the games you played and recommend the OP to play them all next week. Or do it like me and keep it short and name 3-4 games he should look into if he's curious about the genre.

You didn't understand me. Give your recommendations on what games to play and then let the dude decide if that genre is something he'd be interested going deeper into. In fact doing what I'm saying is shorter since you name the games and get the fuck out instead of making some pointless comment about something subjective.

Like this:

Play 4, or 6, and Chrono Trigger.

Hey look, it's shorter than what you wrote. And it leaves the dude/dudette room to make their mind up on their own. Amazing.

So no opinions, right? Just throw a minimalistic line out into the ether? Do you post on GameFaqs?

#31 Posted by mosespippy (4043 posts) -

@killacam said:

@mosespippy said:

The issue with FF7 is that a lot of people find it starts slow and they don't like it due to that first impression.

i've never heard this, and i can't imagine how a terrorist bombing of one of the government's lifestream-draining mako reactors is a slow start! it's so epic! ahhhhhhh

I'm not talking about the plot, but rather the gameplay. You start off with only attack and lightning as an option in battle. It doesn't explain the materia system or equipment slots and other key gameplay aspects that you need to know until you can wander around in the slums and meet the tutorial guys, which you can completely miss. So for people who have no idea how to play, it starts confusing and slow especially if they die on the first boss because they didn't use lightning and had to redo the start.

I know at least three people who never made it up to the market slums due to the start.

#32 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

But I did name the essentials? Check the games out before they were destroyed by super-long summons, insane fans, load times and later on: linearity that would make Call of Duty envious.

No, you named your essentials and made a snide remark about the genre afterwards.

No, I named the essentials in regards to Square and pointed out the rotting corpse of the genre.

But please, enlighten us about all the games you played and recommend the OP to play them all next week. Or do it like me and keep it short and name 3-4 games he should look into if he's curious about the genre.

You didn't understand me. Give your recommendations on what games to play and then let the dude decide if that genre is something he'd be interested going deeper into. In fact doing what I'm saying is shorter since you name the games and get the fuck out instead of making some pointless comment about something subjective.

Like this:

Play 4, or 6, and Chrono Trigger.

Hey look, it's shorter than what you wrote. And it leaves the dude/dudette room to make their mind up on their own. Amazing.

So no opinions, right? Just throw a minimalistic line out into the ether? Do you post on GameFaqs?

Considering you didn't really back up your opinion I don't really know what your saying. You said play those three games. Didn't really give your two cents on why that person should play those games then you stated that the rest of the genre could fuck off (paraphrasing here) without any explanation as to why. So either just name the essentials and get out or explain your reasoning as to why those games and not any other within the genre.

#33 Posted by Izbaadin_Islamabad (71 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

But I did name the essentials? Check the games out before they were destroyed by super-long summons, insane fans, load times and later on: linearity that would make Call of Duty envious.

No, you named your essentials and made a snide remark about the genre afterwards.

No, I named the essentials in regards to Square and pointed out the rotting corpse of the genre.

But please, enlighten us about all the games you played and recommend the OP to play them all next week. Or do it like me and keep it short and name 3-4 games he should look into if he's curious about the genre.

You didn't understand me. Give your recommendations on what games to play and then let the dude decide if that genre is something he'd be interested going deeper into. In fact doing what I'm saying is shorter since you name the games and get the fuck out instead of making some pointless comment about something subjective.

Like this:

Play 4, or 6, and Chrono Trigger.

Hey look, it's shorter than what you wrote. And it leaves the dude/dudette room to make their mind up on their own. Amazing.

So no opinions, right? Just throw a minimalistic line out into the ether? Do you post on GameFaqs?

Considering you didn't really back up your opinion I don't really know what your saying. You said play those three games. Didn't really give your two cents on why that person should play those games then you stated that the rest of the genre could fuck off (paraphrasing here) without any explanation as to why. So either just name the essentials and get out or explain your reasoning as to why those games and not any other within the genre.

"I would guess 1, 4, and 7 would be the games you start with when you start FF right?"

I said skip 1, play 4 and 6 and Chrono Trigger so I was just tweaking his selection right?

And if you want to argue about the evolution about JRPGs I'm giving you a podium here. I'll give you a jump start about how they have evolved from my suggestions:

Point 1: ...

Point 2: ...

The rest is up to you, now you have enough fodder right?

#34 Edited by Cybexx (1153 posts) -

FFVII hasn't aged that well. It has an amazing inconsistent art style, as I understand it they brought on an American CG company half way through production to do the high quality stuff but they didn't have time to redo all the scenes so the quality of the pre-rendered stuff varies drastically from scene to scene and they can never decide if they want to use the chibi art style or not.

Design wise its not Final Fantasy's best, its no FFII but the Materia system isn't great, it results in every party member becoming just kind of samey with the only difference between them being limit breaks once you get that Long Range materia.

FFVII is a game resting on a lot of nostalgia, it was a lot of people's first JRPG, and it holds a special place for a lot of people. That said if your curious about the hub-bub and you can go in with the mindset that this was made in 1997, it was breaking a bunch of new ground and they of course made some mistakes, then you can probably find a lengthy enjoyable experience in it. I myself only got around to actually finishing it a few years ago after restarting it multiple times during the prior decade.

#35 Posted by laserbolts (5313 posts) -

4 bucks dude just buy it.

#36 Posted by Boboblaw (272 posts) -

I bought 7 and 8. I would buy 6 but I'd rather play the SNES version. 
 
Bought 8 because I got to like the third disc in it years ago, and enjoyed it quite alot, but had to give the game back to a friend as I was borrowing it from him. Also I've never played 7 and I probably won't get around to it for a while if ever.

#37 Posted by cosi83 (392 posts) -

@mwng said:

Out of interest, why start at VII?

Also, this thread might help with some informed purchasing decisions. Minimum PSN spend is £5, so may as well get 2 right!

I have £4 left after buying Flower. I heard VII was the best

#38 Posted by cosi83 (392 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

At that price it would be great to buy it even if you end up not liking it, just for academic purposes alone.

Agreed but I am selling my PS3 in late August, as I'm fleeing for PRC and need money for the flight. I may put what I have left towards God Hand, which would mean having to add more funds. I clearly need to waste more of my precious time and give this some more thought

#39 Posted by Fattony12000 (7068 posts) -

Great game. Play the other Final Fantasy games whilst you're at it.

#40 Posted by SharkEthic (1005 posts) -

@cosi83 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

At that price it would be great to buy it even if you end up not liking it, just for academic purposes alone.

Agreed but I am selling my PS3 in late August, as I'm fleeing for PRC and need money for the flight. I may put what I have left towards God Hand, which would mean having to add more funds. I clearly need to waste more of my precious time and give this some more thought

Wait, what? Don't want to stray too much for the path, but...you're fleeing to China? Or am I not getting the PRC acronym?

#41 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

IV, VI, VII and IX are probably the best in the series and all worth playing through at some point.

The translation for VII is a little patchy and the graphics aren't exactly top tier. But it holds up pretty well, I don't think any of the gameplay feels particularly dated and the characters and story are all pretty good.

Edit: The PS1 versions of IV and VI are horrible though, stay away from those.

#42 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (698 posts) -

Parasite Eve.

#43 Posted by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

I'm partial to FFIX, but yeah, give it a shot. It's very popular to hate on FFVII, but the fact of the matter is that it was a pretty important game in the industry. I don't know how well it holds up today, but it's worth playing if only for its cultural significance.

#44 Posted by mwng (921 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos: Apologies, I read anything written on the internets as having a smartass subtext.

Still, your reasoning seems pretty sound for picking VII.