Final Fantasy X or XII?

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By calf_exercises

So I have never played a final fantasy game and know very little of the series but I want to give it a crack and try and see what all the fuss is about because we all know how big of a fan base the series has. So I thought I would enter the series with either one of these games and I was just woundering which one is better and would be better for someone new to the series. Any comments would be apriciated.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By lordofultima

X, definitely.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By KamasamaK

Any are fine for someone new to the series considering how different most are. If you want to know about the games it'd probably be best to check reviews. I can tell you that if you prefer free-roaming battles, non-random encounters, and only controlling one character at a time while the others use a ruleset you define then FFXII is probably the way to go. There are a lot of things I like about both, so it's difficult to decide.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

I recommend not playing any of the 3D ones except IX. Do yourself a favor and play the best one, VI.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Do youself a favor and don't start with VI, it hasn't aged well. If you really don't want to play the PSX games (because you're crazy, or a graphics whore, or both?) then I guess you'll need to play X. It's pretty okay.

XII is good if you're not interested in story.

CurryIsHot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CurryIsHot

FFVII, VIII or IXPureRok said:

"I recommend not playing any of the 3D ones except IX. Do yourself a favor and play the best one, VI."
Uh FFIX was in pre-rendered BG fashion just like VII and VIII were.. Anyway give FVII, FVIII or IX a go.
logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By logson

X has a turn-based battle system, while XII has a battle system that I would describe as a somewhat-automated MMO battle system. Two very different games. Read some reviews!

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PureRok
CurryIsHot said:
"FFVII, VIII or IXPureRok said:
"I recommend not playing any of the 3D ones except IX. Do yourself a favor and play the best one, VI."
Uh FFIX was in pre-rendered BG fashion just like VII and VIII were.. Anyway give FVII, FVIII or IX a go."
Yes, but the characters and battles were still in 3D. It doesn't matter that the backgrounds are pre-rendered, 3D is 3D.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BoG

Neither of the games is a good starting point, as X is atrocious, and XII is pretty complex title. The best starting point would probably be VI, VII, or IX.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By ZenaxPure

Simply put you are going to get a lot of diverse answers here since:

a) Its Final Fantasy, so everyone has their favorite and will try to push it onto you
b) Regarding Final Fantasy and the internet... People tend to get way to rabid regarding the series for some reason going to some extremes when talking about them.

I suggest doing your own research (avoid reviews as well, just read wikipedia or something) and make up your own mind. In short though if you want to skip that. Final Fantasy X is more true to the past games in that its story focuses a lot more on characters instead of the grand scale of things and battles are random that take place on a different screen. Where as XII is exactly the opposite with a more grand scaled story and while it still has turn based combat, it all takes place in real time so you are given control of only one character at a time, however, you can still tell exactly what you want your party members to do.

Personally though, I suggest both. They are both pretty cheap now and two of my favorite games ever. Also one last personal thing of mine I tend to reccomend. The later you go in the series the better. Thats not to say the old games are bad or anything but the games like X and XII are more "modern" in that they feature voice acting, better graphics, etc and just generally easier (as far as the main storyline is concerned, the side quests in both games, however, are a different story). Its harder for someone who has never played one of the games to enjoy one of the older ones, because for all purposes the newer games are more advanced in every aspect.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne

I regard voice acting and giving the player control of the camera as a steps backwards in RPG storytelling quality. : )

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo

IX is the best starting point, and end point. Awesome game.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Hexpane
PureRok said:
This is the correct response.  Although I liked FF7

The 3D FFs are ok, and I really like the IDEA of FF12, but it just doesnt work.  It's way too slow and it's easy to forget what the plot even is w/ so many hours spent roaming around.

FFX = final fantasy on EASY MODE.  90% of the game can be completed by pressing the X button.  The only tough battles are totally optional, the voice acting is insultingly bad, and the character design is Meg Ryan = little whiny bitch boy who plays soccer.

IMO the best part of FFX is the blitzball.  Its like turn based water polo, and its quite fun to recruit players and eventually pwn the league.

FF12 = single player MMORPG.  This means lot of options during battle, real time look w/ turn based invisible background.   Fran is uber hawt, and the pirate dude is cool han solo clone.  But unless you have 100 free hours to roam around kiling tomatoes, you will probably get bored to tears.

I'd give FFX 8/10 simply beause its very playable, has a great mini game and you can follow the childish nonsense story easily without forgetting "what and I suppoed to care about again"  Its Final Fantasy popcorn style

FF12 id also give 8/10 simply because of the huge world, great graphics and wonderfully deep gameplay.  Unfortunately many of the characters suck dirty cabbage, VAAN is a flaming emo loser whiney bitch boy, and the story goes no where very slowly.   Not to mention the whole chess board skill tree means instantly overpowered characters
Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

Final Fantasy X was decent, it's still able to be called a Final Fantasy game.
Highs are the Soundtrack, story and graphics for that time.
Lows are basically everything else. ReTarDedFisHy wasn't exactly a fan of the Sphere Grid.
It's still a pretty decent game worth a play, though the "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA" may force you to throw your controller at your PS and/or break your FFX disc into a thousand pieces due to utter frustration. This is all before you gouge your eyes out and cut your ears off.