Final Fantasy XIII vs. DiRT 2 vs. Warcraft III

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Aus_azn

As one who doesn't normally trust game reviews other than for a baseline of the game, I was initially going to buy the game. However, recent reviews have been tempting me to cancel my pre-order in favor of the "Warcraft III Battle Chest" (which, for no good reason, I have not yet played) or Colin McRae DiRT 2. Here are my pros and cons: 

FF13 pros: 
It's a FF game. And word on the street says that it's similar to FF10, which I liked.
I like Yun Fang. A lot.
As a proud Aussie, now displaced, I am really liking most of the VAs for this game, despite my usual distaste for English VAs in JRPGs. 

FF13 cons: 
I've heard a disgusting amount about raw linearity. I could take the linearity of past games like FF8 and FF10, but the gameplay I've seen seems to take this to an extreme. 
I am getting this on Xbox 360. Seeing as how the reviews are all for the original PS3 version, porting technicalities will surely mess with the game's quality, probably to the detriment of the gamer. 
I would still like the Japanese seiyuu VAs, even though I like the English ones. Currently, I do not know if this game has multilingual support, especially on the Xbox. 
And finally, My Hands. What were they thinking? 

I do not have as many reservations about the other two; I have played DiRT 2 at a friend's house, and I am absolutely enamored with it. I was deeply annoyed when I discovered that Steam had a sale a week earlier, but the past is the past. Despite not owning it, it is my laureate for "Racing game of 2009", topping Forza Motorsport 3, which I do own.
WCIII is WCIII, and every single person I've asked said it's terrific. But that's what everyone said about Fallout 3, and I didn't really like that very much. I don't know if it helps, but I like WoW. I'm not obsessed (maybe no more than 4 hrs into the game on a private server), so how will that bode? 

I would appreciate it if you listed the respective pros and cons of each game in your eyes, and hopefully I will be able to gain insight from your advice, helping me to decide what to purchase. Thanks! 

PS: It may help to say that I loved FF8 and despised FF7. And that I think Starcraft is pretty fun but is hindered by a lack of GUI and key-binding customization options. And the only game review sites that I genuinely trust are GiantBomb and Zero Punctuation.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

Duder, if you haven't play WCIII yet and have ANY interest in that franchise, get that shit. I don't know about Dirt 2, however. The Battle Chest is also $40, so maybe you can save up for FFXIII quicker.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Yukoei

Get Final Fantasy XII. Watch this video, its what made me preorder the game.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

I can't attest for FFXIII (haven't played it obviously) but regardless, I can tell you that Dirt 2 is an amazing game that you'd have to be crazy not to enjoy.  

Pros:  

Great blend of arcade and sim, cars feel authentic yet playable 
Awesome style
Great soundtrack 
Large variety of tracks, events 
Some of the real life racers like Dave Mirra and Ken Block, and real life locales as well
Multiplayer 
Best graphics in a racing game to date 

Cons:  

Lacks some of the more fundamental rally racing aspects

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I have no interest in Final Fantasy or Warcraft, but Dirt 2 is a totally awesome game.

RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By RedHerb
@Aus_azn said:

I've heard a disgusting amount about raw linearity

I heard about that too. I heard that's is pure, uncut and unadulterated linearity that's not for the weak of heart. I heard that there is so much Linearity in this game it's banned in several Australian states plus that one territory (you know the one i mean)! It's off the linearity chartz, way past the x,y and z axis'!

But seriously, if you like FFX, this one was targeted at people who like FFX, if you know what i mean ;). As for dirt 2, you know more about then me, and warcraft 3 well, it's a RTS that heavy on resource collecting with a slower pace then starcraft i believe. But I only played through to the midpoint of the Orc campaign when it got too difficult for a sap like me.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aus_azn

@Yukoei: 
Yes, I've seen all of the preview materials for FF13. It is all what had convinced me initially to pre-order. The shadows of doubt cast by several reviewers, though, is making me hesitant about a purchase. 

I am still waiting to see if anyone knows whether the Xbox 360 one has Japanese voiceovers, and if anything has been heard about technical problems created by the porting process.

@Geno: 
Out of the three, I'd definitely swing up DiRT 2 the fastest, but it just seems as if the price is going to be cut soon , so I am trying to hold off on it.  

And just generally, I was contemplating buying WCIII in anticipation of Starcraft II. I've never played a RTS short of original Starcraft (which I'm definitely not too good at, but the storytelling was quite compelling), so I'm sure the issues in the original game have been worked out for SCII.