#1 Posted by MattadorD (70 posts) -

So after watching the quick look on the latest Fire Emblem game I had a rush of memories and nostalgia for Fire Emblem. But I don't own a 3DS and probably won't be getting one anytime soon. So I'm asking my fellow duders and dudettes to give me a hand. What are some games that can scratch that same itch Fire Emblem does? Just to help people out I have a Vita, PS3, and a pretty old laptop. Also I have XCOM and have really enjoyed it. Thanks for you're help guys!

#2 Posted by el_tajij (709 posts) -

Never played a Fire Emblem game but I hear Valkyria Chronicles has a lot in common with it. It's also an incredible game anyway.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

About 75% of strategy RPGs made before Tactics Ogre should do it.

#4 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1633 posts) -

Record of Agarest War and it's other games are good, in my opinion. I believe they're on the ps3 as well

#5 Posted by MattadorD (70 posts) -

@el_tajij: Yeah I played through the first one a bit, but for whatever reason I just never finished it. Then I either gave it to a friend or lost it. Was the one for the PSP any good?

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

@el_tajij said:

Never played a Fire Emblem game but I hear Valkyria Chronicles has a lot in common with it. It's also an incredible game anyway.

I too throw my hat in for Valkyria Chronicles as a fan of Fire Emblem.

#7 Posted by AFTERLIFEJOSH (23 posts) -

Since you have a Vita and PS3 I would strongly suggest the Disgaea games.

#8 Posted by MattadorD (70 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: That was one that I kept looking at. I'm just afraid it'll have complex systems and stuff. For example I tried to play Final Fantasy Tatics for the PSP and I was just lost for the most part. Though it could have just been my dislike for that series bleeding through and making me hate that game.

@AFTERLIFEJOSH: Oh how could I forget about those games! My friend used to play that all the time when we were younger. Any suggestions on which one I should pick up.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -
@AFTERLIFEJOSH

Since you have a Vita and PS3 I would strongly suggest the Disgaea games.

Aside from the basic genre similarities, Disgaea and Fire Emblem don't have much in common.
#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@MattadorD:

Different school of strategy RPGs.

#11 Posted by MattadorD (70 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Ah well that makes me feel better about that one then. Thanks!

#12 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I second Valkyria Chronicles. You can also get Valkyria Chronicles 2 and load it onto the Vita through the PS3. It's not technically a Vita supported game. It won't show up in PSN when you're browsing it with the Vita, so you'd need to download it on the PS3 and then transfer it. But as far as I can tell, the game works perfectly. It's also back to $20 in the US, from $40. Unless that was a mistake on Sega's part.

#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -
#14 Edited by mosespippy (4116 posts) -

I haven't played a Fire Emblem game but the quick look reminded me a lot of Jeanne D'Arc for PSP.

The PSP Valkyria Chronicles games have terrible plots and characters but better strategy and improved game mechanics than the original.

#15 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

If you can get access to a Wii, you can use the Virtual Console to get Shining Force 1 & 2, but they feel horribly simplified and antiquated compared to even the GBA Fire Emblems. I know people love that series dearly, but they have some serious nostalgia blinders on.

#16 Posted by MattadorD (70 posts) -

Thanks to everyone that answered. I'll take a look at all the stuff that was recommended. Thanks again!

#17 Posted by el_tajij (709 posts) -

@MattadorD: Yep, Valkyria Chronicles 2 is also awesome. As was mentioned before, you can get it on your Vita and it's very cheap!

#18 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Tactics Ogre is actually more dense than FFT; I'm pretty sure the Vita can play PSP games (?) if so there's quite a few out there; Jeanne D'arc is probably the best "Simple, yet elegant" tactical game on that system. Valkyrie Profile 1 is also reasonably solid and fairly tactical (though not nearly as much as its sequel). Disgaea can be fun but you really need to enjoy grinding.

#19 Posted by AFTERLIFEJOSH (23 posts) -

@MattadorD: Disgaea 3 is my personal favorite and the Vita version is a great version.

#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11625 posts) -

Japanese Fire Emblem is a pretty fantastic choice if you like Fire Emblem.

#21 Posted by MattadorD (70 posts) -

@AFTERLIFEJOSH: Alright thanks. I'll check it out then.

#22 Posted by sonicrift (296 posts) -

Yggdra Union was pretty good. I played it on the GBA, but there's an updated PSP version for $10 on PSN.

#23 Posted by Solh0und (1765 posts) -
#24 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

Tactics Ogre is actually more dense than FFT; I'm pretty sure the Vita can play PSP games (?) if so there's quite a few out there; Jeanne D'arc is probably the best "Simple, yet elegant" tactical game on that system. Valkyrie Profile 1 is also reasonably solid and fairly tactical (though not nearly as much as its sequel). Disgaea can be fun but you really need to enjoy grinding.

The Valkyrie Profile games aren't tactical RPGs, aside from Covenant of the Plume on the DS, which I haven't played, but haven't heard positive things about.

#25 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@Hailinel: Valkyrie Profile 2 is definitely a tactical RPG in just about every way, it even has a grid with about 25000 tiny squares (optional to turn it on) adjusted to your positioning, it's possible to avoid every attack in the game due to it being constructed in that fashion. It's also possible to position your guys in such a way that they attack from either side of the enemy in unison like you would in a tactical RPG; just because it's not overt doesn't make it apart from the genre.

The element of timing and precision with the attacking process is not similar to a standard JRPG at all so it winds up somewhere inbetween Vagrant Story combined with a tactical RPG and a much better platforming element than the first game. If you don't move then the enemy can also not move and yours and their attacks are limited to specific ranges, much like a tactical RPG. If anything it is far more interesting than most tactical RPGs for having additional elements stacked on top of the "map phase." The storyline also has a bit of the warring nations type of vibe that most good tactical RPGs have; though it's warring divinities and races moreso.

#26 Edited by Daveyo520 (6681 posts) -

Advanced Wars is pretty great. Does anyone know of any for PC? Or even Android.

#27 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

Right now I'm playing Yggdra Union on the PSp. So far it reminds me of Fire Emblem and it's available on the PSN store for $8, I think. The game is done by Atlus and it has the same artwork as Knights in the Nightmare and Riviera.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Hailinel: Valkyrie Profile 2 is definitely a tactical RPG in just about every way, it even has a grid with about 25000 tiny squares (optional to turn it on) adjusted to your positioning, it's possible to avoid every attack in the game due to it being constructed in that fashion. It's also possible to position your guys in such a way that they attack from either side of the enemy in unison like you would in a tactical RPG; just because it's not overt doesn't make it apart from the genre.

The element of timing and precision with the attacking process is not similar to a standard JRPG at all so it winds up somewhere inbetween Vagrant Story combined with a tactical RPG and a much better platforming element than the first game. If you don't move then the enemy can also not move and yours and their attacks are limited to specific ranges, much like a tactical RPG. If anything it is far more interesting than most tactical RPGs for having additional elements stacked on top of the "map phase." The storyline also has a bit of the warring nations type of vibe that most good tactical RPGs have; though it's warring divinities and races moreso.

Though the combat is more tactical than VP1, it's still not what I'd classify as a tactical RPG. It lets you move about the battlefield, avoid enemies, and take advantage of weak points, but over all, it's still not as tactical as a Fire Emblem or Valkyria Chronicles.

Also, I despise Valkyrie Profile 2 with all my soul and would never recommend it to anyone, but that has nothing to do with the gameplay.

#29 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Go back and play Advance Wars. If you have a jailbroken iPhone or an Android device you can emulate it for more convenient tactical goodness.

@Daveyo520 said:

Advanced Wars is pretty great. Does anyone know of any for PC? Or even Android.

There's some really good GBA emulators for Android, not sure about the DS.

#30 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@Hailinel: Well, it's uh a completely flawless game; I'd assume your reason for despising it has something to do with nostalgic memories of VP1 and the einherjar or you found it too difficult; both are largely invalid reasons as the difficulty is perfectly balanced (like God of War, Resident Evil 4 perfectly balanced; challenging yet always fun) and VP1's story is pretty bad especially compared to how great the second one is. Now it's still not quite as good as Vagrant Story but it's still absolutely magnificent and a must for likers of the tactical RPG genre as well as the standard JRPG fare. Apart from everything else the game has 51 difficulty settings, and that is damned impressive.

#31 Posted by BeachThunder (11834 posts) -

X-Com 1 and Terror From the Deep; I'd personally say that TFTD is the better game, if you have to pick just one.

Also, chess.

#32 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Hailinel: Well, it's uh a completely flawless game; I'd assume your reason for despising it has something to do with nostalgic memories of VP1 and the einherjar or you found it too difficult; both are largely invalid reasons as the difficulty is perfectly balanced (like God of War, Resident Evil 4 perfectly balanced; challenging yet always fun) and VP1's story is pretty bad especially compared to how great the second one is. Now it's still not quite as good as Vagrant Story but it's still absolutely magnificent and a must for likers of the tactical RPG genre as well as the standard JRPG fare. Apart from everything else the game has 51 difficulty settings, and that is damned impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_TKQdfbwCc

Nope. The game invalidates the entirety of the original game from the timeline because time travel bullshit. I consider the ending of the original game one of my favorite game endings of all time, and VP2 was nothing more than a slap in the face. Fuck Valkyrie Profile 2 forever. I don't care how well it plays.

#33 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@Hailinel: Well it's just not that great of an ending bud; doesn't matter which ending you're talking about. There's also multiple timelines so it's entirely possible the universe of VP2 is completely separate from the one in VP1. VP1 has all sorts of "old JRPG" issues that aren't present at all in the second game and the climactic fight vs Hrist and Arngrim is immediately followed by one of the best climaxes in any video game; fucking everyone has crazy ass batshit secrets and you don't even realize it apart from the obvious one. So wondrous! Shame it got boring after 180 hours, oh noes (well, seraphic gate runs are still pretty fun actually)

#34 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Hailinel: Well it's just not that great of an ending bud; doesn't matter which ending you're talking about. There's also multiple timelines so it's entirely possible the universe of VP2 is completely separate from the one in VP1. VP1 has all sorts of "old JRPG" issues that aren't present at all in the second game and the climactic fight vs Hrist and Arngrim is immediately followed by one of the best climaxes in any video game; fucking everyone has crazy ass batshit secrets and you don't even realize it apart from the obvious one. So wondrous! Shame it got boring after 180 hours, oh noes (well, seraphic gate runs are still pretty fun actually)

The plot in VP2 is just tri-Ace being their usual clusterfuck plot-twist selves. They make great games, but in the PS2 era especially they got up their asses with Shyamalan moments (see Star Ocean 3 for another example). Whatever you might think of it, I feel that Valkyrie Profile's best ending is one of my favorites of all-time, just as I consider the game itself one of my all-time favorites. Valkyrie Profile 2 is more advanced in its gameplay, but its story is garbage.

#35 Edited by eliochip (6 posts) -