• 118 results
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (3035 posts) -
#2 Posted by Gahzoo (361 posts) -

*vomits*

#3 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I'm trying very hard to disagree with you and it isn't working.

EDIT: Wait a fecking minute...is this all one big ploy to get people to hook up an OnLive box to their TVs?

#4 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

That's a fucking terrible controller.

#5 Posted by Khann (2906 posts) -

Yay, OnLive!

Oh wait, it doesn't work in most of the world.

#6 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -
Reminds me of this "wonderful" design.
#7 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

I can't wait for the shitstorm when this thing crashes and burns.

#8 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

I kinda wish they had stuck with that design (at least as a secondary option) because I fucking HATE the Dualshock design. My hands cramp after using it for about a half hour without fail. It's one of the main reasons I favor the 360 so much.

As for the Ouya controller, it looks fine. D-pad design has only been a factor for me when I played fighting games. And since I don't really play fighting games anymore it doesn't matter in the slightest.

#9 Edited by deerokus (567 posts) -

Terrible. Aside from the shape, and the terrible d-pad, who thought up the names of those face buttons? 'To sprint, press O, to reload, press O, to switch weapons, press O, to bring up the system menu, press O'. Will be unusable for colour-blind people, and ridiculous for the rest of us.

Considering the people involved, it's astonishing they're making basic mistakes like that.

#10 Posted by ErgoMeSmart (41 posts) -

@deerokus said:

Terrible. Aside from the shape, and the terrible d-pad, who thought up the names of those face buttons? 'To sprint, press O, to reload, press O, to switch weapons, press O, to bring up the system menu, press O'. Will be unusable for colour-blind people, and ridiculous for the rest of us.

Considering the people involved, it's astonishing they're making basic mistakes like that.

If you read the update on Kickstarter they state the O's are only a placeholder, as they haven't decided what they're using on their facebuttons yet.

#11 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

You don't really have to use this controller. If you own a USB or Bluetooth controller (of course you do), you can use that.

#12 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

They should have came up with an updated version of the genesis six button controller. OH WELL TOO LATE

#13 Posted by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -

The close up of the buttons looks really good, but I don't know about the wings. Of course I thought 360 controllers were huge and goofy as fuck as well. I thought the original PS1 controller was ridiculous when I first touched it. Now that controller has pretty much inspired all controller design after it.

Really with any controller it's more about the throw on the buttons than the shape.

#14 Posted by Zenogiasu (193 posts) -

Ohhh boy. My faith in OUYA is fairly low as is, and this doesn't help. For their sake, I hope it sees some revisions before launch. And, y'know, it probably will. Controllers tend to go through a lot of redesigns before they hit the shelves.

#15 Edited by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

That is a wonderful design, and this is why:

Sony totally should have stuck to their guns and not caved in to pressure from internet know-it-all's who hadn't even held the controller. Just because it looks weird and different, doesn't mean it's uncomfortable and rubbish. The Ouya controller doesn't look great, and they don't have the budget of Sony behind them so I doubt they've made amazing changes to controller ergonomics, but I'll reserve judgement until I've actually held one.

#16 Posted by bemusedchunk (711 posts) -

I hope Ouya tanks.

Then people will finally realize that Android is a great platform for phones and for tablets, and not necessarily the best "console".

In fact, what makes Ouya different than a tablet/phone hooked up to a tv via hdmi? The controller? Rather use a dualshock 3 instead...

#17 Posted by Warchief (658 posts) -

Guys dont worry the console is never coming out

#18 Posted by Dixavd (1367 posts) -

Didn't they say that they aim to put the entire power of the console into a cube the size of a rubix cube? That means the controller will be bigger than the console!

As for the actual controller; I don't really care about the asthetic for it so that doesn't bother me - but I like to use the "claw" way of holding them so my thumb can be on the right stick with my index finger able to press some of the four buttons (this way I can move the camera while running in games like Assassin's Creed) and this controller seems to make it even harder to do that with the arms of it sticking out more and the flat edge in the middle restricting the thumb more.

In any case though, there should be the option to use other controllers so this is really a non-issue, and there is so many other things to be questioning than the controller.

#19 Posted by believer258 (12100 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@Cincaid said:

Sony totally should have stuck to their guns and not caved in to pressure from internet know-it-all's who hadn't even held the controller. Just because it looks weird and different, doesn't mean it's uncomfortable and rubbish. The Ouya controller doesn't look great, and they don't have the budget of Sony behind them so I doubt they've made amazing changes to controller ergonomics, but I'll reserve judgement until I've actually held one.

I can't say that I entirely agree with either of you, but I can't help but feel like it would have been interesting to see the Boomerang controller and actually use it for a little while. It doesn't look horribly uncomfortable.

Still, the 360 controller is the best I've ever used. Perfect weight, perfect triggers, perfect design, and best of all, no bloody motion controls at all.

#20 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

@MattyFTM: Was mostly making fun about the look of it. But point taken! :)

#21 Posted by bemusedchunk (711 posts) -

We all know the Dreamcast had the best controller...

Or at least the best VMU.

#22 Posted by KaneRobot (1787 posts) -

@Jams said:

They should have came up with an updated version of the genesis six button controller. OH WELL TOO LATE

They did. It was released with the Saturn a few years later. The model 2 version, not the model 1.

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

I'll reserve judgement until I've actually held one.

But we're on the internets. Snap-judgments based on zero personal experience is how we roll.

#24 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

@bemusedchunk said:

Rather use a dualshock 3 instead...

As I understand it, you can. You could even use a DualShock 3 controller on Android right now if you really wanted to.

#25 Posted by bemusedchunk (711 posts) -

@LordAndrew: That's what I was trying to say...albeit in a roundabout way...

#26 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

@KaneRobot said:

@Jams said:

They did. It was released with the Saturn a few years later. The model 2 version, not the model 1.

they = ouya;

#27 Posted by Rapid (1386 posts) -

Three analog sticks?! Ouya says up yours Nintendo! =P

Looks cheap and like its going to easily break when you throw it as delicate as a smart phone.

#28 Posted by Sackmanjones (4784 posts) -

Burn the abomination!

#29 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

@bemusedchunk said:

We all know the Dreamcast had the best controller...

Or at least the best VMU.

Oh man. I'd love a Dreamcast controller with an extra analog stick and two extra shoulder buttons. Besides the Duke, the Dreamcast controller was the most comfortable for me. The VMU was/is awesome too. They should totally bring that back. USB flash drives with a little LED screen on it that plugs into a controller.

#30 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

The fuck? What's with the asymmetrical analogue sticks?

#31 Posted by Driam (166 posts) -

Boy, that sure looks like a CG mock-up that won't end up being what the final product looks like.

#32 Posted by Marokai (3114 posts) -

The hate for this device continues to be really weird and reactionary. 

Also the controller doesn't really look that bad. But okay, it's the worst thing ever designed in the history of man.

#33 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@Marokai said:

The hate for this device continues to be really weird and reactionary. Also the controller doesn't really look that bad. But okay, it's the worst thing ever designed in the history of man.

isn't 99.99% of all hate on the internet weird and reactionary.

#34 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3082 posts) -

It's a Cylon fighter!

#35 Posted by Metal_Mills (3035 posts) -
@Marokai said:
The hate for this device continues to be really weird and reactionary.  Also the controller doesn't really look that bad. But okay, it's the worst thing ever designed in the history of man.
Well, it gets hate because they took over 5 million dollars and all we've gotten is renders of what it might be. Of course people are going to be skeptical. And that d-pad looks shocking.
#36 Posted by Marokai (3114 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
@Marokai said:
The hate for this device continues to be really weird and reactionary.  Also the controller doesn't really look that bad. But okay, it's the worst thing ever designed in the history of man.
Well, it gets hate because they took over 5 million dollars and all we've gotten is renders of what it might be. Of course people are going to be skeptical. And that d-pad looks shocking.
What you're basically saying is that it's getting hate because it' Kickstarter was successful and it generated a lot of excitement. Think about that for a moment. It's one thing to be skeptical but there are people in this thread that are openly hoping for it to fail for no reason other than they heard the word Android. We know almost nothing but the basics about what the Ouya will be, let's not pretend the weird vicious hatred for it right now is anything well-grounded.
#37 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

haha I saw that originally and thought it was the actual controller PS3 ended up shipping with, until a while later I played my friend's. It sucked ass obviously, but it's not like the same old thing was spectacular either.

#38 Posted by lightsoda (541 posts) -

Look and feel is not the same thing.

#39 Posted by K9 (621 posts) -

There is nothing wrong with how the controller looks. By the way what video card is in this this console? I did a google search but it didn't lead me to any useful results. I can't imagine the card is all that powerful if the console is only 100 bucks.

#40 Edited by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

Speaking of chitty controllers I advise every one not to get a Afterglow controller.

I had 2 controllers break on me after maybe 25 hours of use.

I should have paid the extra 10$ for a real Xbox controller.

#41 Posted by StriderNo9 (1144 posts) -

Really ugly.

#42 Posted by Levio (1785 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@MattyFTM said:

I'll reserve judgement until I've actually held one.

But we're on the internets. Snap-judgments based on zero personal experience is how we roll.

exactly. No one is more invested in the fate of this console than the naysayers.

#44 Posted by geirr (2680 posts) -

It's an android device. I'm sure you can plug in your 360 controller and have it work fine.

#45 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

I'm just curious (as I'm not a backer of this kickstarter), but haven't they said there will be some sort of touch-control on the controller as well, so you'll be able to play a lot of smartphone games? Or am I pulling that out from thin air?

#46 Posted by rmanthorp (4046 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@Cincaid said:

Dat Spider-Man font.

#47 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2778 posts) -

@Gahzoo said:

*vomits*

Damn, first reply nailed it.

#48 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

What's with all that wasted space in the middle?

#49 Posted by betterboulder (190 posts) -

@Cincaid: They did. Supposedly its that black portion on the upper part of the controller

#50 Posted by Khann (2906 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

What's with all that wasted space in the middle?

I assume that is a really awful touch pad.