#1 Posted by Nodima (1124 posts) -

I'm sure there are decent guides/wikis out there, but being that I typically use my TV for gaming purposes I figured this would be the best place to ask. I'd have looked for older threads but TVs seem to change so fast I felt a new thread would be best.

I've been using an LG 50PT350 for the better part of a year now thanks to helping my father out with his living situation. But he moved out a couple months ago and warned me this weekend that he's probably going to be ready to move the TV out of here sometime in the next month. With new consoles and, of more immediate importance to me, GTAV on the horizon this is terrifying timing. I used to be someone who said the difference between a 22-inch CRT with component and 50-inch plasma with HDMI wasn't a huge deal but...no. That dream is dead.

Unfortunately, HDTVs also seem to remain prohibitively expensive for a person making what I make, but I am prepared to cut back heavily on socializing for a couple months to make this happen. I just don't know what to look for. This TV has a 600Hz refresh rate and puts out in 720p; I'm beginning to gather that's more valuable than, say, 1080p at 120Hz, but at the end of the day I really don't know. 50" obviously would be ideal but I could be talked down to a high-30s to mid-40s TV if enough people have love for one.

So, gamers, what TVs do you game on or are looking hard at gaming on this holiday season? TV experts, what currently produced televisions would you say compare favorably to the 50PT350?

#2 Posted by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

I'm back to a 32" crt and for stuff like Joe Danger it's tons better than any LCD. Until a month ago I was using a crt monitor which was amazing because HD with no lag is wow. Then all sorts of smokey badness happened and even though I've replaced some burnt components it's still baaaad.

And yup, I've got a 1080p telly but all the time I'm using it I'm thinking about that lovely smear free crt. My advice is cruise the streets looking in skips for an old monitor, or go to the e-waste section of your rubbish tip.

Know none of this is useful to you or going to happen but it's genuinely a good thing.

#3 Edited by Spoonman671 (4566 posts) -

It's like spotting a wild unicorn.

#4 Edited by Nodima (1124 posts) -

I don't have eyes discerning enough for that. Hell, when the Bomb guys are complaining about framerates in Quick Looks, or screen tearing, most of the time I have no idea what they're referring to. The Saints Row IV QL made it abundantly clear, but without that stark contrast I don't really see it.

I had no issues with the XCOM: Declassified QL for example.

#5 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1032 posts) -
#7 Posted by rachelepithet (1350 posts) -

You didn't say how much you wanna spend. For $500 there's a 50" Samsung and Panasonic plasma (the same model the GB staff own without the 3D or built in apps, yet better game lag).

Westinghouse makes okay edge LED (the worse kind but still better than old fashioned LCD) TVs in the 32"-42" range. The 32" would be 720p, 42" 1080p. At the size though, 720p was fine. While it retailed for $299 I think, I got my 32" Westinghouse at Best Buy for $179. I believe I saw the 40" one in the $250-300 range since then. They won't always be on sale or clearance but they're worth a shot.

#8 Posted by Fattony12000 (7101 posts) -
#9 Posted by Nodima (1124 posts) -

@irrelevantjohn thanks that was pretty helpful. Yea my price range tops out at $500 though I'd like to spend less...the model equivalent of this LG typically runs $800 it looks like, but that Samsung for $500 does look pretty equivalent if not better as the man says.

My dad used to sell TVs too so he says he can get me a deal, and he probably knows what to look for, I just figured I'd see what the GB community is gaming on these days.

#10 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -
#11 Edited by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

The biggest thing I suggest looking out for is screen glare. I got my TV and it's perfect in every way but one; the screen glare. If there's even the tiniest bit of light in the room it reflects everything on the screen and it drives me nuts to the point that I never use it unless it's pitch black in my room because I hate seeing reflections in the screen. It's my understanding this is mostly a plasma thing, but keep it in mind as I find it's something that doesn't always get brought up in reviews and is obviously not something you can find in a spec sheet somewhere.

#12 Edited by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -
#13 Edited by billymagnum (737 posts) -

stay away from plasma. lg is ok but samsung is unbeatable in imho. when buying a tv, the secret to my success has Amazon.com. they will match prices up to a month after you purchase the tv. shipping is also usually free for non-prime members. if you live in a state that amazon doesnt charge tax in, even more of a bargain.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

The biggest thing I suggest looking out for is screen glare. I got my TV and it's perfect in every way but one; the screen glare. If there's even the tiniest bit of light in the room it reflects everything on the screen and it drives me nuts to the point that I never use it unless it's pitch black in my room because I hate seeing reflections in the screen. It's my understanding this is mostly a plasma thing, but keep it in mind as I find it's something that doesn't always get brought up in reviews and is obviously not something you can find in a spec sheet somewhere.

#15 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -
#16 Edited by Slaegar (695 posts) -

You could always look into a computer monitor and sit closer rather than buying a larger screen if you are only playing by yourself and don't intend to watch regular ass television with it.

Something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P-23-6-Inch-Full-HD-LED-Lit/dp/B005BZNDS0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1378069595&sr=8-5&keywords=24+inch+1080p+monitor

and a cheap pair of desk speakers like these

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000417-Speakers-Z130/dp/B003CP0OT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378069727&sr=8-2&keywords=desk+speakers

Console games might look rougher than usual since you will be sitting closer, but you will also see the action better. If the next consoles do 1080p by default (though who knows considering what is happening to Battlefield 4) they will look quite nice on a computer monitor.

Don't worry about things like 120Hz or 600Hz or whatever. Unless you plan on playing 3D games or PC games with a high frame rate it won't really matter.

Keep in mind if you go with this set up you need some way to sit close to the screen, within 2-3 feet.

editish: There are televisions close to this price range, but most of them will be 720p only.

#17 Edited by Nodima (1124 posts) -

I do watch a lot of Netflix, and I am a Mac user, so computer monitors don't interest me.

I already have Klipsch ProMedia speakers running through component cables connected to the PS3 while the video runs HDMI.

And the TV I have already is a 720p plasma and has suited me more than fine, I think it looks great. I'm basically looking for the same exact TV for as cheap as possible, and maybe 5 inches smaller if that'll cut one or two hundred dollars off the MSRP.

Also, I already (like Jeff) sit way too close to my TV. I rotated my iMac 90 degrees and snapped a photo of my general viewing angle, though obviously I am sitting directly in front of the TV.

#18 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

It all depends on how much you want to spend on it. Honestly, you can get any decently priced TV that will do the job fine, if you want it for video games. You could look at Samsung or Sony TVs, those are really good. I don't know too much about them, but husband is a real A/V whore, so whatever he chooses, I know it's good. So in conclusion, any Samsung, Sony, or LG TV should do the job.

#19 Edited by bigjeffrey (4817 posts) -

R U A UNICORN ???

#20 Edited by CaLe (3916 posts) -

I just bought this TV: Sony KDL42W653

A large part of the reason I chose it is because of the low input lag. I'll be using it as both a PC monitor (+PC gaming) and a console gaming TV. This from a review:

Sony’s 2013 Bravias have proven to be superb gaming TVs, and the W65 is no exception. With [Scene Select] set to “Game“, the 42W653A effortlessly smashed through our existing input lag record (held by another Sony – the W8), posting a jaw-dropping figure of 14.6ms on the Leo Bodnar lag tester. Engaging [LED Motion Mode] – should you wish to do so – barely increased the lag by a mere 6ms to 20.5ms which is an excellent level of responsiveness no other non-Sony HDTVs have been capable of matching to date. Add full 4:4:4 reproduction (in [Game] and [Graphics] mode) to the equation, and we’re convinced you won’t find a better flat-screen television on which to play video games at the moment.

Full Review Here

#21 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -