This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -

Hi Giantbomb!

My name is Ashar and I am creating my own indie video game. I order to do some things that are very hard for me to do, I sometimes use tools, free ones, but now, the time has come to PURCHASE tools. Why?, due to the crappyness of the free ones. Anyways, I needed money to purchase these tools and I don't have any money. So I created a indiegogo page to raise money. Please help us donate! We need $500! the link to it is: http://www.indiegogo.com/backinbattle

Thanks! Oh, and we got some neat perks over their! They range from $1 to $35!

EDIT::

We got some stuff planned like:

1. Actions effect the outcome in Campaign
  2. Choose from a list of names to be your name in the campaign
  3. Some multiplayer maps have lighting cycles, so when the power is out, you can turn on a flashlight, but other players will see the flashlight, so they can hide and attack in the dark.
  4. Player viewable database of all the players ever played

As you can see, they aren't very awesome! Currently, we are taking ideas from the community. What do YOU want to see?

#2 Posted by Morningstar (2047 posts) -

Good luck.

#3 Edited by h0lgr (892 posts) -

All you really need is dedication in this business.
Good luck.

#4 Posted by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -

Thanks! What type of dedication, exactly?

#5 Posted by LikeaSsur (1430 posts) -

Sell me on your product. What about this shooter is going to be different than the dozens of other shooters that came out this generation?

#6 Posted by Sjosz (482 posts) -

@asharahmed10: That thousand yard stare. The willingness to accept that you may very will not see a dime of profit on the game you make. The love you have for videogames to see things through from start to end. (trust me, that saying about the last 20% of development being the biggest 80%? Totally true)

#7 Posted by ESREVER (2574 posts) -

Those are some Counter-Strike sounding sound assets for sure. Silenced M4 and AK to be specific.

#8 Posted by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -

hmmmm... we are currently in pre-alpha so we haven't really thought about what stands out. good question. we got some planned, but they aren't really that big, I need some help giantbomb! I need some creative thing that will blow everyone away!

#9 Posted by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -

@ESREVER: Well, with the money, we can get better assets and sounds!

#10 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1562 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

Sell me on your product. What about this shooter is going to be different than the dozens of other shooters that came out this generation?

Or the thousands of people raising money right now without proven credentials or even tangible assets to show off?

#11 Posted by runnah555 (148 posts) -

Come to me with a business plan, a well thought out concept with a story outline and key game mechanics, then I will open the wallet.

#12 Posted by bushpusherr (714 posts) -

Please, take this lesson from fictional character, Ari Gold:

I believe in you.

#13 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I want to see an Indie Developer who doesn't beg for money.

#14 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

If you guys have to beg for 500$ than you might as well give up now.

#15 Edited by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -

Ok, I just don't know how to promote this thing! We have a video on the indiegogo page!

Alright, looks like I need a good guy that knows business, and as you can see, im not very businessy. So, of all the people that believe in me. I need help. I'm not begging, im asking. Shoot me a PM and we'll talk how I'll we will work this out.

#16 Posted by SSully (4059 posts) -

@asharahmed10 said:

hmmmm... we are currently in pre-alpha so we haven't really thought about what stands out. good question. we got some planned, but they aren't really that big, I need some help giantbomb! I need some creative thing that will blow everyone away!

Oh hey, I have this super creative idea that I thought of, I will PM it to you so you can use it and profit from it.

Also if you are a first time developer, you shouldn't be crowd sourcing funds. You should be busting your ass gaining experience through other means. If this works out for you great, but it seems like a bad way to do this.

#17 Edited by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -

@SSully: Ok. Shoot the idea my way!

#18 Edited by w1n5t0n (121 posts) -

Looks like you mostly need the money for assets. That seems like something you can wait on until the mechanics and code are done. I also think that Ultimate FPS script is on sale for 10 dollars today.

#19 Posted by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -

Alright, got some ideas for the campaign. Here's the link to the ideas:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T9UzFfHfhZxK0eVDhg25Baa7y2OowfV8zvwaU7iFLdI/edit

#20 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Why don't you use the free tools that are available to develop a playable prototype? If that's at least interesting, surely getting 500 dollars should be easy!

#21 Edited by fuzzypumpkin (380 posts) -

@asharahmed10

@asharahmed10 said:

Oh hey, I have this super creative idea that I thought of, I will PM it to you so you can use it and profit from it.

Also if you are a first time developer, you shouldn't be crowd sourcing funds. You should be busting your ass gaining experience through other means. If this works out for you great, but it seems like a bad way to do this.

I think SSully was fucking with you.

#22 Posted by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -
@nintendoeats: We already have a video on that! It's right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kp9Mp-PTak&feature=plcp
#23 Posted by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -
@fuzzypumpkin: in what way?
#24 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@asharahmed10 said:

@nintendoeats: We already have a video on that! It's right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kp9Mp-PTak&feature=plcp

Ok, let me put this another way: we need to see that you are making something interesting. If you SHOW us something interesting then we'll know that you are worth funding. If all of your ideas are things that go in the metagame, then that's not enough. You need something in the moment-to-moment gameplay that is compelling. Imagine that you were in an arcade full of lots of flashing lights and interesting games. You need to make something in your game that stands out and says "I'm different, play me". if you look at Pac-Man or Donkey Kong you can immediately tell that it's different.

All you need right now is that first impression, you can worry about the stuff around it later.

#25 Posted by NickyDubz (263 posts) -

Have you made any games in the past? what is your skill set?

#26 Posted by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -
@nintendoeats: It's the creativity thing that hits me in the nuts. I don't have a creative idea right now. But when I get one, I'll post it here. One big thing we have planned is: Actions effect the ending of the game. 
#27 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

You don't need a business guy, you need a ( more complete ) game.

Your game is way too early to ask for funding. At the moment, it strongly seems like a project that would never come to be, no matter how much funding it receives.

Also, you picked a really, really poor choice for a initial game.

3D is hard to pull off in a way that looks good - which is why most indie developers focus on 2D games. If they do go 3D, they pick a artstyle which lets them stand out from the crowd without requiring much. Look at minecraft for example.

Then ... a shooter. That's pretty much the hardest genre for you to succeed in. You will have a extremely hard time selling your game because the shooter market is so chock-full already.

Unless you come up with some truly game-changing ideas that really make your game be new and something worth being excited for, I don't see it working out. Sorry.

#28 Posted by NickyDubz (263 posts) -

That's real creative...moral choices in a fps maybe you should just make a game and get your chops up to snuff realease this for free and then come up with a more unique idea. Maybe go find a team that's working on a game and see if you can help. Honestly I want nothing to do with the game you feel is worth my money.

#29 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@asharahmed10 said:

@nintendoeats: It's the creativity thing that hits me in the nuts. I don't have a creative idea right now.

Well then why would we fund you instead of somebody who does? That really is the crux of the matter.

#30 Posted by Baillie (3954 posts) -

If every character has my face, I will give you $100.

#31 Posted by NickyDubz (263 posts) -
@asharahmed10 this just sounds like such a scam. You have this super crazy idea but no prototype of it an you want people to just give you money for a product that isn't even guaranteed to exist. Take my advice make some small free games get your name out there ten come back to this because your ideas are so late there is no way you can accomplish what you want if this is your first project
#32 Posted by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -

That's it! I give up! I'm a failure. I will never get this funded. Let get this straight, I'm just a kid who will never succeed. My dream will never come true. 

#33 Posted by NickyDubz (263 posts) -
@asharahmed10 call me old fashion but I don't see how that crude unity engine clip is worth any money. None of your gameplay ideas are shown off you just said look I made a really crummy world and still some generic assets in it . How is that any indication you can even pull off these grand features of moral choice and player customization and of its that dear to you 500 is like one paycheck from a basic job I made 350 working a s apart time dishwasher in Ohio maybe that's your best bet
#34 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

@asharahmed10: Not trying to bring you down, but what is that video supposed to show us, exactly ?

It looks to me like the super-early stages of a HL1 mod. It shows blurry textures without anisotropic filtering, pixelated foliage without anti aliasing and a completely empty map save for.. I guess some testing assets that were put up ?

It's so vague that I can't form a positive opinion at all. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I see nothing of the features you've mentioned. No realism, no story, no interesting map design, nothing. There is no artistical or technical prowess, there is no unique ideas .. there is essentially nothing of value in that video.

#35 Posted by NickyDubz (263 posts) -
#36 Posted by asharahmed10 (12 posts) -
@Bio2hazard: With the money, we can fix that!
#37 Posted by DeadVillager (77 posts) -

I'm going to level with you. If you haven't made a single game yet and you are already saying you don't feel like you have any good ideas, you might as well quit. You have nowhere to go. You're trying to enter an industry that is fueled primarily by passion, and it takes more than just being willing to get the boulder moving far enough along with a project to throw out a prototype that could be accomplished by any person diligent enough to use a Unity tutorial in order to make it anywhere.

If you're just starting my advice would be just to spend your time right now practicing. If you think you've made something worth sharing by the end of a project, distribute it for free. Accept criticism with an open mind, and move on to the next one. Over that time you'll not only be able to develop games more efficiently, but you'll be learning what does and does not work in games and why, what makes them fun, what to avoid, and other necessary skills that will make something you produce worth something.

Think about it in the same light that you might look at painting. You're not going to shell out anything for some watercolor picture of a house and a flower some grade-schooler made, but if that same kid spends the next five years doing nothing but painting, they might have enough experience by that point to make something worth buying.

#38 Edited by Live2bRighteous (306 posts) -

I remember this one time on Facepunch... some guy asked for money because "his grandmother was dieing and she needed support."

Overtime, I think people donated like $400-$500ish in total. Fast forward a month or two, it turns out he used the money to buy himself a new PC. Of course, the people who donated got all his information and ordered him 500 pizzas... those were good times.

After seeing that, I really don't trust anyone on the internet begging for money. It seems like a cheap way in too... taking money from people you don't know, online.

EDIT: Haha...haha... you guys may want to take a look at the video he put up on his indiegogo page. If you guys are looking to donate to a CoD clone, have fun with that.

#39 Posted by NickyDubz (263 posts) -
@asharahmed10 I'm done trying to be nice go get a job then and make the money your self your idea is bad it's that simple b-a-d bad. 0 new ideas nothing new being done for the genre. You dont even have a story. why should I care about this shooter that makes darkest of days look like cod4? So go make the money yourself if you want to push on with this atrocity of a video game.
#40 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

@asharahmed10:

No. No you can't. No amount of money can fix that.

Look, I've been programming for 7 years. I started making my own indie game, a mobile oriented roguelike with a focus on playability ( controlling well on mobile devices ) and moddablility about 2 months ago. I've been using the free 60 day trial of adobe flash builder, a old version of Photoshop and free to use graphic assets for game development. My game is in mid-alpha at this point, with graphics engine, randomized level generation, melee & ranged combat system, movement system, time unit system, elemental system, attack properties, inventory system, color-coded loot system and enchanted items all in working order. I'm not gonna lie and say that it's perfectly optimized, as I will do that during beta, but it all works and works well.

Photoshop was only used to resize images, so you could just as well have used gimp for it.

Total cost of my project so far? $500 - money I used to support myself for these 2 months. And I paid that from my own savings.

What I'm trying to say is that you have your order of doing things TOTALLY wrong. You don't show off what amounts to essentially nothing, ask for money with a promise to make something. You show of something that already has potential, but can't mature to a great product unless it gets a boost.

What you should do, is make a compelling game or level of the game using the "crappy" tools that you have. Make a interesting and playable demo - even if it has crappy assets. If people can play your game and find value in what you are trying to do with it, they will support you.

For example, Giant Bomb recently had a article featuring screenshots and a video of a super-early version of Darksiders, as it was pitched to a publisher for funding. It didn't feature textures aside from graph-paper, I believe it didn't have any sound or music, but it was enough to convey their pitch and get funding.

#41 Posted by mtcantor (922 posts) -

Best of luck to you, but you have a long way to go before you should ask anyone to invest in your project.

#42 Posted by Gamer_152 (13970 posts) -

@asharahmed10: I'd like to quote the forum rules here which state that the following is prohibited: "Developers creating threads to advertise their games, and advertisements of personal sites for personal gain (monetary or otherwise)". On a more personal note I'd be happy to give you some advise on this kind of thing via PM, but the Giant Bomb forums are not meant to be used as a place for people to just show up and ask for money, they're meant to be a place of discussion.