• 61 results
#1 Edited by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -

Basically, what's the first game you ever bought without your parents buying it for you? Allowance from your parents counts because, well, it could be argued, but doing chores is technically a job.  

AAAAAH I DON'T REMEMBER!

#2 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

I think it was a copy of X-Com on floppy disk.

#3 Posted by Karmum (11518 posts) -

Hm, let's see. Since I don't have a job, or an allowance, or get paid for my chores...I'd say NFL Street 2. Either 2005 or 2006, I don't remember. Saved up some money for it and bought it. Yeah, doesn't sound too long ago, and whilst it isn't, look at the circumstances. I think I was 12 or 13 at the time, and me buying games with my own money prior to that?

Unlikely. I can't even remember now.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -

I think it was Crystalis on the NES.  Why isn't that game on the Virtual Console yet?  It was awesome.

#5 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I remember walking into a video game store when I was around 8 years old. I had a Genesis and had saved up my allowance. My parents were getting mad at me for not being able to make a decision (there was so much to choose from!), so I grabbed a random Genesis game. Turns out that game was M.U.S.H.A.!!!
#6 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -
@Karmum: Holy shit, I just remembered! You and I bought the same first game!!! (Though, I bought it with a copy of NBA Courtside and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, all on eBay).
#7 Posted by JokerClown88 (1051 posts) -

If I remember correctly, It was Jurassic Park on the Game Boy.  Good times.

#8 Posted by Karmum (11518 posts) -
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" @Karmum: Holy shit, I just remembered! You and I bought the same first game!!! (Though, I bought it with a copy of NBA Courtside and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, all on eBay). "
Well, NFL Street 2 was pretty awesome. I'm sure it wasn't my first, but I don't remember.
#9 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

When i grew up i basicaly played whatever my brother got and never asked for a specific game (i didnt know of any) then for one of my birthdays (the year my bro left for college and took the gamecube, nes, n64 etc. with him) my parents got me a ps2 with NBA (w/e year it was >_>) and my bro bought me sly cooper.. (played both of them to death)

anyways the first game i bought myself was kingdom hearts and i thought it was absolutely amazing :D

#10 Posted by Crono (2652 posts) -

It was StarCraft for me.  Diablo set the foundation for my Blizzard fandom.

#11 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -
@Karmum said:
" @Emandudeguyperson said:
" @Karmum: Holy shit, I just remembered! You and I bought the same first game!!! (Though, I bought it with a copy of NBA Courtside and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, all on eBay). "
Well, NFL Street 2 was pretty awesome. I'm sure it wasn't my first, but I don't remember. "
Hell yeah it was! Especially when I first rented it, when I saw my dude do a fucking wall-run I distinctly remember saying "WHOA SWEET!"
#12 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

WWF Attitude for the PS1 

#13 Posted by Grud (29 posts) -

Super mario 64, that game was great.

#14 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Probably saved my allowance for a couple of years to purchase a SEGA Saturn with Panzer Dragoon Zwei. Worth every penny.

#15 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

I was ten, and it was Pokemon Blue. Certainly not the worst purchase I've ever made.
#16 Posted by Ghost_of_Perdition (735 posts) -

I think it was X-Men 2: Clone Wars. Never beat it until years later when I was able to get the cheats.

#17 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -

Oh now I remember! It wasn't NFL Street 2, it was Pokemon Red! I was one of those weird kids that never liked Pokemon. But even though I say that, I must have easily wasted 50 hours on that game. Red version sucks because it hurts your eyes, buy Blue or Yellow.

#18 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

The earliest I can remember at the moment was the PC version of Star Wars: KotOR. I already had the Xbox version, but I think I bought it for cheats and mods (mostly for cheats, I had very little knowledge of mods when I purchased it). That was a damn good game... I wonder if I still have it somewhere....
#19 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

I think i stole a copy of mario kart for the snes from my local shop .....

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

It must have been WWF No Mercy for the N64 or some shit.

#21 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i don't remember. i think it might have been a NES game or something.

#22 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1593 posts) -

It was either Pokemon Red or some Mega Drive game I don't remember 
Now I have a craving to get the Mega Drive out...
#23 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

Resident Evil 2, my uncle was kind enough to already supply me with the original 8)
#24 Posted by Time_Lord (714 posts) -

Final Fantasy 7 platinum for 30

#25 Posted by watsonphys (18 posts) -

Blades of Steel for the NES.

#26 Posted by kennybaese (663 posts) -

I saved up my allowance for like a year for my very first video game purchase. I bought myself a GBA and Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World for it. 

First purchase after I got my first job, a GCN and Metroid Prime

#27 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

Sonic and Knuckles
#28 Posted by Feigr (186 posts) -

That's a hard one to remember. It might have been Diablo or Fallout.

#29 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it was this: 

US Box Art
That game is not very good.
#30 Posted by JDM006 (113 posts) -

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

#31 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

You said allowance, and technically this money was a gift from my grandmother.  I bought the following among other handhelds, before I even had a Gameboy or NES (only had my TI) :

#32 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I'm a very lazy human being so none :(

#33 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

Fuck, I have no idea.  I've been playing games forever so it's hard for me to remember my first game.

#34 Edited by quantumshift5 (415 posts) -

I played games when I was young but never bought one, so I would say, my first official purchase was back in 2001, when I bought Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. Wait never mind, that was my first console game, my first game period was Pokemon Blue(yes I know the gameboy is a console:p). As I said, I wasnt really into games not until I came to the age of 8 or 9.
#35 Posted by Grimace (376 posts) -

Pokemon Red.

I didn't even own a Gameboy!

#36 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
#37 Posted by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -

I believe the first game I bought completely with my own money was Worms 2

#38 Posted by MattyFTM (14365 posts) -

Crash Bandicoot 2. I remember saving up for it for ages because I really loved the first one.

#39 Posted by PenguinDust (12483 posts) -

I have no solid idea, but if I had to guess, it was probably something from Activision for the 2600.  I'd guess (total guess) Stampede or Chopper Command.

#40 Posted by DirtyFuture (73 posts) -

Either Sim City 3000 (Awesome game), or The Sims (Slightly less awesome, but still a great game)

#41 Posted by Vegeta187x (19 posts) -

Wow, I'm drawing a huge blank. My mind keeps on drifting back to the original Metal Gear Solid, although I'm not sure why. I didn't have to buy my own games for awhile. Sometimes being a single child in the midst of a separation and a divorce can be a good thing. At least for gaming.

#42 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

wow... uhhh I don't remember. But the feeling was strange that much I can remember

#43 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

Jak 3 it took me a month to save up
Most games I buy with birthday cash (It's my one payday of the year)

#44 Posted by FongGhoul (233 posts) -

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on the NES.  That actually might have been the first thing I ever saved up for.  I was so pumped.

It was at least $40, and may have been $49.99.  It's pretty nuts how expensive games were then.  I also remember saving up $70 for Final Fantasy II on the SNES.
#45 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts

#46 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

Delta Force Trilogy for $20  

#47 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

I feel like I've said this a hundred times. 

I DON'T FUCKING REMEMBER.

#48 Posted by Jeust (10538 posts) -

Duke Nukem yeahhhhh
#49 Posted by TooWalrus (13155 posts) -

Mario Party 1

#50 Posted by Najaf (295 posts) -

First game I bought for a console with my own earnings. (not allowance or whatnot)