Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Andorski

Forgotten, you say?

With games like Splinter Cell: Conviction, Heavy Rain, and Bioshock 2 receiving the 'extra polish' treatment and getting pushed back to the first half of 2010, the current fall line-up of 2009 initially looks a bit anemic.  With few games to choose, it seems like every gamers' "Must Buy List" for the rest of the year centers around the two juggernauts of '09: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Modern Warfare 2.  Don't get me wrong, these games definitely deserve the attention they garner, but  these two titles also completely blanket other games brave enough to be released in their shadow this year.  So this list is here to give some attention to those games that even the most avid gamer might have forgotten as they look forward to hunting treasures and terrorists.

5. Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony

With GTA IV proper and The Lost and Damned already released, it seems like Rockstar North has gotten the "we want to tell a serious, gritty, real story" out of their system. The next DLC expansion, The Ballad of Gay Tony, looks to be going back to the roots of prior GTA games on the PS2, which is a melody to the ears of many fans of the series. Parachuting out of helicopters, stealing subway trains, and participating in fight clubs all hearken back to the sillier days of Grand Theft Auto, when the imaginative aspect of the gameplay wasn't limited by its "real" setting and storyline. 

4. Assassin's Creed II

While the first Assassin's Creed sold better than Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, it was criticized by many reviewers for its repetitive gameplay and awkward mission structure, leaving gamers to simply write off the sequel. It seems like Ubisoft agrees with these complaints, as Creative Director Patrice Désilets specifically stated "Assassin's Creed 1 is Assassin's Creed 1. It is what it is. [But] Assassin's Creed 2 is what we really wanted to do with the first." By adding several ways to kill your target (including using mercenaries as back up or the general public as a distraction) and increasing the repertoire of weapon combat, it looks like the gameplay in this sequel is reaching the potential of the franchise's original concept.

3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

"The Wii has no games" is a common statement thrown around by people absorbed in HD gaming. Games like Red Steel 2 and No More Heroes 2 beg to differ, but unfortunately these games won't be out 'til next year. Until then, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is here to fill the void until the spring. While a 4-player 2D side-scroller might not seem like much, consider this: LittleBigPlanet is another multiplayer 2D side-scrolling game that was well received by critics and PS3 owners, but even fans of the series can attest to the pure amount of crap you have to scrummage through in order to play a decent level. While I'm sure there are a handful of great levels in the game to experience (if you have to time sift through them all), can you really compare them to the Nintendo-quality levels that Miyamoto & Co. produce? I don't think so.

2. Brutal Legend

Why is this on the list? EA has been pushing the marketing for this game feverishly, and every preview and feature written about the game is glowing with praise. The game is on the list specifically for PS3 owners, as it will be released on the same exact day as Naughty Dog's behemoth, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Tim Schafer's games don't exactly sell out the store in the first place, so having the most anticipated game in 2009 to go up against doesn't exactly make matters better. So I implore PS3 owners to not forget about this game. In fact, I would suggest getting Brutal Legend before Uncharted 2. Brutal Legend's multiplayer will most likely die out after a couple of months (while Uncharted 2 will last well beyond next year), so take this time to experience a multiplayer game that is truly unique. It's an action game, an RTS game, and a vehicular combat game all mixed into one. Leave it to Tim Schafer to create a multiplayer component that doesn't require you to shoot someone with a gun.

1. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

With Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac exclusively making games for Sony, the PS2 had the triple threat in the platforming genre. Then the era of the PS3 came, and with that, a change in Naughty Dog's leading character. They traded up from some 'emo' elf-like guy to Nathan Drake, a man that even makes Indiana Jones a bit jealous. Since then, it seems like Ratchet and his robotic pal Clank have been riding in the back seat of Sony's busload of franchises. With barely any marketing muscle, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time is set to release a mere two weeks after Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. While not as bad as Brutal Legend's release date, this game will only be available on PS3. With Uncharted 2 set to have a complete multiplayer experience (both competitive and co-op), I doubt that PS3 owners will be ready to buy another game once A Crack in Time is released. Insomniac has pushed the combative craziness in Ratchet's portion of the game to an immeasurable scale and added an intriguing time warping mechanic to Clank's levels, making them more than just an inferior version of Ratchet's levels. Other additions like space exploration and new weapons will make A Clank in Time a worthwhile venture if you find it possible to take Uncharted 2 out of your PS3's disk drive.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Andorski

Forgotten, you say?

With games like Splinter Cell: Conviction, Heavy Rain, and Bioshock 2 receiving the 'extra polish' treatment and getting pushed back to the first half of 2010, the current fall line-up of 2009 initially looks a bit anemic.  With few games to choose, it seems like every gamers' "Must Buy List" for the rest of the year centers around the two juggernauts of '09: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Modern Warfare 2.  Don't get me wrong, these games definitely deserve the attention they garner, but  these two titles also completely blanket other games brave enough to be released in their shadow this year.  So this list is here to give some attention to those games that even the most avid gamer might have forgotten as they look forward to hunting treasures and terrorists.

5. Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony

With GTA IV proper and The Lost and Damned already released, it seems like Rockstar North has gotten the "we want to tell a serious, gritty, real story" out of their system. The next DLC expansion, The Ballad of Gay Tony, looks to be going back to the roots of prior GTA games on the PS2, which is a melody to the ears of many fans of the series. Parachuting out of helicopters, stealing subway trains, and participating in fight clubs all hearken back to the sillier days of Grand Theft Auto, when the imaginative aspect of the gameplay wasn't limited by its "real" setting and storyline. 

4. Assassin's Creed II

While the first Assassin's Creed sold better than Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, it was criticized by many reviewers for its repetitive gameplay and awkward mission structure, leaving gamers to simply write off the sequel. It seems like Ubisoft agrees with these complaints, as Creative Director Patrice Désilets specifically stated "Assassin's Creed 1 is Assassin's Creed 1. It is what it is. [But] Assassin's Creed 2 is what we really wanted to do with the first." By adding several ways to kill your target (including using mercenaries as back up or the general public as a distraction) and increasing the repertoire of weapon combat, it looks like the gameplay in this sequel is reaching the potential of the franchise's original concept.

3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

"The Wii has no games" is a common statement thrown around by people absorbed in HD gaming. Games like Red Steel 2 and No More Heroes 2 beg to differ, but unfortunately these games won't be out 'til next year. Until then, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is here to fill the void until the spring. While a 4-player 2D side-scroller might not seem like much, consider this: LittleBigPlanet is another multiplayer 2D side-scrolling game that was well received by critics and PS3 owners, but even fans of the series can attest to the pure amount of crap you have to scrummage through in order to play a decent level. While I'm sure there are a handful of great levels in the game to experience (if you have to time sift through them all), can you really compare them to the Nintendo-quality levels that Miyamoto & Co. produce? I don't think so.

2. Brutal Legend

Why is this on the list? EA has been pushing the marketing for this game feverishly, and every preview and feature written about the game is glowing with praise. The game is on the list specifically for PS3 owners, as it will be released on the same exact day as Naughty Dog's behemoth, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Tim Schafer's games don't exactly sell out the store in the first place, so having the most anticipated game in 2009 to go up against doesn't exactly make matters better. So I implore PS3 owners to not forget about this game. In fact, I would suggest getting Brutal Legend before Uncharted 2. Brutal Legend's multiplayer will most likely die out after a couple of months (while Uncharted 2 will last well beyond next year), so take this time to experience a multiplayer game that is truly unique. It's an action game, an RTS game, and a vehicular combat game all mixed into one. Leave it to Tim Schafer to create a multiplayer component that doesn't require you to shoot someone with a gun.

1. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

With Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac exclusively making games for Sony, the PS2 had the triple threat in the platforming genre. Then the era of the PS3 came, and with that, a change in Naughty Dog's leading character. They traded up from some 'emo' elf-like guy to Nathan Drake, a man that even makes Indiana Jones a bit jealous. Since then, it seems like Ratchet and his robotic pal Clank have been riding in the back seat of Sony's busload of franchises. With barely any marketing muscle, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time is set to release a mere two weeks after Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. While not as bad as Brutal Legend's release date, this game will only be available on PS3. With Uncharted 2 set to have a complete multiplayer experience (both competitive and co-op), I doubt that PS3 owners will be ready to buy another game once A Crack in Time is released. Insomniac has pushed the combative craziness in Ratchet's portion of the game to an immeasurable scale and added an intriguing time warping mechanic to Clank's levels, making them more than just an inferior version of Ratchet's levels. Other additions like space exploration and new weapons will make A Clank in Time a worthwhile venture if you find it possible to take Uncharted 2 out of your PS3's disk drive.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ
  1. Very much enjoyed GTAIV, but I don't plan on buying the DLC for the game.
  2. I'm not totally sold on Assassins Creed II, even though I enjoyed the first one (4/5). It will have to impress me in reviews
  3. It's funny that you mention LittleBigPlanet when talking about NSMB wii, because they both suffer from a similar problem; they are too floaty. The character physics are just off. It's why I will probably never own either game. 
  4. Brutal Legend was a fun demo at PAX, though I have expressed concerns about the short axe he wields. it leaves the player open to getting attacked quite a lot. That said, the style is palpable.
  5. I haven't enjoyed previous games in the series, and I can't see Crack in Time being much different
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By KowalskiManDown

2009 still has an awful lot to show.

You forgot to mention Borderlands and Dragon Age though!

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

5.  Haven't played GTA IV since I've completed it to 100%, wouldn't mind getting the package that'll include that episode along with the previously released one.
4.  Actually enjoyed the first Assassin's Creed, but not too excited about its sequel.  Might want to wait for reviews on that one like AgentJ said.
3.  I've got New Super Mario Bros. for the DS.  I haven't even finished the game.  All I do is play minigames on it.
2.  Hoping to play the demo soon.  Enjoyed Shafer's Psychonauts.
1.  Not a big platformer-junkie, really.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By GunstarRed

I really don't think anyone has forgotten AC2 , im pretty certain the first game sold a fuckton. 

Ratchet definately has been downgraded by someone at sony, Tools was the weakest of the insomniac made games by a mile . but im still excited for it, I own the PS3 because of R&C and I'm hoping it will have more in common with quest for booty which I personally think was more enjoyable (although brief) than the full game.           

I found the comments on the bombcast  really strange though, the first three games definately got better as they progressed.
ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ryno9881
@marioncobretti: I 100% agree with you. Ratchet and clank up your arsenal was the best game in the series and one of the best games of last generation.
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By coonce

this is an awesome blogpost dude~ 

did you throw this in the boards?

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Brunchies

5. I might get it but not really sure on that. 
4. I'll wait on reviews but my brother will most likely get it because he liked the first one. 
3. That one looks pretty great but I don't have a Wii.
2. I'm not so sure on the Gameplay side, I was never really into RTS's but the story and atmosphere might draw me in. 
1. I'm not that much of a fan the gameplay and a little of the story. 

T_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By T_Prime

5) Never played a GTA game and don't own a 360. 
4) Maybe, I'll likely rent it first. 
3) Don't own a Wii but have told Wii-owning friends to buy it. 
2) Demo was fun; will likely rent or borrow, not so sure about the meshing of genres. 
1) Never played a R&C game, but I can still be won over.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Willy105

These titles are forgotten!?! No they aren't!

Whatever happened to Excitebots, Punch-Out, Infamous, Halo Wars, Nostalgia, and every other game released in the first half of this year?

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By septim

I think the only game that legitimately belongs on that list is Ratchet and Clank. Otherwise all those games have had AAA development and marketing behind them.

Insomniac has a habit of releasing really good games directly behind amazing games. (FTD after Halo 3, RES 2 after GOW2, and now right after Uncharted).

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Andheez

These are all pretty heavily touted releases, not sure people have lost them in the shuffle.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nixium

The thing with this list is how can you forget about them before they are out...maybe they are forgettable games. 

And yes I know brutal legends is out and no I haven't played it so I'm not judging it yay or nay.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Meowayne

Joke thread?

Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Xanth93

I only agree with Ratchet. It is competing with Uncharted 2; therefore, it is an underappreciated game. However, it looks very good. I just don't have the money to buy it. (Yes, I bought Uncharted 2.)

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By therabidfrog

So lets not forget this list of best selling games?