Flame war erupts on Twitter between Wil Wheaton and GamePolitics

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for theblindchessman
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheBlindChessman

Wil Wheaton Vs GamePolitics
Wil Wheaton Vs GamePolitics
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Wil Wheaton is not to be fucked with. 

How dare you question his commitment to our culture. 

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Leptok

wtf, he flew off the fucking handle for almost nothing.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Pardon my ignorance, but who are these people?  :I

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jadeskye
@Leptok said:
" wtf, he flew off the fucking handle for almost nothing. "
Wheaton was in the right there. He's an important dude and a keynote speaker at PAX with close friendship with the penny arcade guys as well as a Dungeons and dragons player AND contributer to DnD. 

And thats just what i know about.
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish
@mylifeforAiur: Exactly.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jadeskye
@mylifeforAiur said:
" Pardon my ignorance, but who are these people?  :I "
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @mylifeforAiur: Exactly. "
Wil Wheaton is an actor (you might remember him as wesley crusher from star trek). He's also closely afiliated with a number of high tier gaming organisations (including penny arcade). One of the most important members of our sub-culture. His blog is pretty interesting stuff as are his books i'm told.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@jadeskye: Thanx for the info. Never was a Star Trek fan ;)
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheBlindChessman
@jadeskye said:
" @Leptok said:
Wheaton was in the right there. He's an important dude and a keynote speaker at PAX with close friendship with the penny arcade guys as well as a Dungeons and dragons player AND contributer to DnD.  And thats just what i know about. "
But the GamePolitics guy was just asking about what he'd campaigned for, it seemed like a legitimate question, why Wil Wheaton reacted like that I have no idea. The fact that he's spoken at Pax, is friends with Penny Arcade and plays DnD has nothing to do with what the GamePolitics guy asked. It just seemed like Wil got all "how dare you, don't you know who I am!"
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadeskye: I know who Wil Wheaton is, I just think he over estimates his importance. 

He's a cool guy and all, but it isn't like he does all that much for 'our culture,' or at the very least he isn't very overt about it.
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Djeffers03

Ok I don't really understand what's going on but Wil Wheaton seems like he's been a giant dick head.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Leptok
@jadeskye said:
" @Leptok said:
Wheaton was in the right there. He's an important dude and a keynote speaker at PAX with close friendship with the penny arcade guys as well as a Dungeons and dragons player AND contributer to DnD.  And thats just what i know about. "
No he was not in the right there. Asking somebody what they stand for does not give them a reason to act like a total self important asshole. I really enjoyed him on PADND, but shit, this makes him look like a total spoiled bitch.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jadeskye
@TheBlindChessman said:

" @jadeskye said:

" @Leptok said:
But the GamePolitics guy was just asking about what he'd campaigned for, it seemed like a legitimate question, why Wil Wheaton reacted like that I have no idea. The fact that he's spoken at Pax, is friends with Penny Arcade and plays DnD has nothing to do with what the GamePolitics guy asked. It just seemed like Wil got all "how dare you, don't you know who I am!" "
a fair observation. I think the major thing he was pissed at was the game politics dude's incompetance. If he googled wil wheaton and read the first page of his website that would have told him everything he wanted to know. instead he chose to outright ridicule him on twitter. 

@Leptok said:
" @jadeskye said:
" @Leptok said:
No he was not in the right there. Asking somebody what they stand for does not give them a reason to act like a total self important asshole. I really enjoyed him on PADND, but shit, this makes him look like a total spoiled bitch. "
I'd be pissed off too if someone asked me what i advocate for gaming and i was someone like Wil. I'll make this my last post as i'm coming over as a wheaton apologist but i maintain my stance that he was in the right if not overzealous in his defence and anger.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By MysteriousBob
@jadeskye said:

" high tier gaming organisations (including penny arcade). "

Hahahahaha, I get it. 

Anyone who posts 'twits' from an iPad is an automatic bellend so I'm with this Wil guy. I haen't actually read what they're saying because I don't care about the arguments of two people I've never heard of.
borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By borodin
@Leptok: Hmm maybe, but (and I know nothing about this!) if I tried really hard to be politically active on behalf of games (I'm not even sure what that means) and then a representative of something called GamePolitics says they have no idea what you stand for, that's got to sting? Either it's undermining Wheaton's efforts or it's making the GamePolitics guy look bad at his job. Is this really a big 'thing' though? Do 'gamers' need specific political representation?
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Djeffers03 said:
" Ok I don't really understand what's going on but Wil Wheaton seems like he's been a giant dick head. "
Which is the most ironic part. 

No Caption Provided
BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BionicMonster

can I retroactively nominate IceT?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By Icemael

Who the fuck is Wil Wheaton?

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove said:
" I... don't get it. "
He is the most important man in video games ever. 

EVER.

TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheBlindChessman
@LordXavierBritish: @LordXavierBritish said:
" @dudeglove said:
" I... don't get it. "
He is the most important man in video games ever. 

EVER.

"
No one is more authentic than Wil Wheaton.
Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Leptok

A lot of interviews start with "So what do you represent" or something similar. I don't know why he flew off the handle, and then he just got worse and worse. Dunno, maybe dude was having a bad day. But fuck.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By delta_ass

Wil Wheaton's easily hurt.

No Caption Provided

Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sadisticham
@jadeskye:  Wow that annoying little douche from star trek? Nothings changed i see hes just grown into a giant douche going by how hes acting there.

Anyway what exactly has he done "for our culture" cause i can't think of anything.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jadeskye
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Leptok said:
" A lot of interviews start with "So what do you represent" or something similar. I don't know why he flew off the handle, and then he just got worse and worse. Dunno, maybe dude was having a bad day. But fuck. "
I don't think you get it. 

Wil Wheaton has done so much shit for our culture, if he wasn't here there wouldn't be video games. 

Just watch him make allusions to things you've never heard of, don't you feel represented? 

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jack268

Lol @ 2 grown men bickering like children over nothing.

homewrecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By homewrecker

speaking at PAX doesn't have anything to do with representing "gamer culture" - he is preaching to a choir if anything. also "gamer culture" is a crock of shit.

Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sadisticham
@jadeskye:  Sorry I'm not going to read an entire blog that's been going for years. I looked over it and saw nothing that i consider important and i checked out his wikipedia page and see hes done a few PAX talks..which...don't really do anything either.

Hes involved i can see that. I don't see what hes actually done to help gamers. Is it that hard to just list off what hes done? o.0

edit: And i like my avatar. :D
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sadisticham said:
" @jadeskye: Is it that hard to just list off what hes done? o.0 "  
 And that's the joke.
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By haggis

The GP guy was asking about specific things Wheaton advocated. Not speeches, but issues. It wasn't an unreasonable question. Honestly, I appreciate Wheaton's public commitment to gaming, but ... he's got an ego. In this case, I think his ego got in the way of understanding the question. Maybe he had a bad day, or just got schooled on WoW. Who knows. In any event, he took the question as a challenge and went off the handle. You can tell from the GP guy's response that whatever offense was taken was not intended.

Wheaton has been great on Big Bang Theory and The Guild, though, which means I'm willing to forget the momentary breakdown of communication.

Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sadisticham
@LordXavierBritish: Oh right. I think I'm catching on now. Slowly but surely. I thought people actually..really did believe this guy had done something.

I was genuinly interested actually. Now i'm just left disappointed . :(
NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NakAttack
@LordXavierBritish said:
" @Leptok said:
" A lot of interviews start with "So what do you represent" or something similar. I don't know why he flew off the handle, and then he just got worse and worse. Dunno, maybe dude was having a bad day. But fuck. "
I don't think you get it. 

Wil Wheaton has done so much shit for our culture, if he wasn't here there wouldn't be video games. 

Just watch him make allusions to things you've never heard of, don't you feel represented? 

"
and my response   
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I like Wil, but it seems like he took that about as badly as a person can, and then never let up.  He was so ridiculously confrontational that it made me feel bad for the journalist.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Jimbo

Oh no!  Containment crew to twitter!  Reverse shield-polarity and mark hyper-warp seven!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By JJWeatherman

Well that was kinda funny.

t_blok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By t_blok

Yeah, just reading that makes me glad I don't care much for gaming as whole culture or who represents us.
Get over yourself Will.

Or I'll tell Sheldon...

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@Icemael:@Icemael said:
" Who the fuck is Wil Wheaton? "
bricewgilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 25

#39  Edited By bricewgilbert
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @Icemael:@Icemael said:
" Who the fuck is Wil Wheaton? "
"
How dare you question who Wil Wheaton is!! Do you know what he has done for the Wil Wheaton industry!?!?!
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@Cartman86: lol calm down, it was just for fun. Who doesn't know Will?
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crusader8463

He seems like a douche bag in that argument, no matter what he has done. I don't care if he cured cancer, nothing anyone does gives them the right to act like a douche. Plus he once wore this shirt so it invalidates any thing he advocates. 

No Caption Provided
seishiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By seishiro
@borodin said:

" @Leptok: Hmm maybe, but (and I know nothing about this!) if I tried really hard to be politically active on behalf of games (I'm not even sure what that means) and then a representative of something called GamePolitics says they have no idea what you stand for, that's got to sting? Either it's undermining Wheaton's efforts or it's making the GamePolitics guy look bad at his job. "

Basically this. 

Also, within a few seconds I pulled this from Wikipedia

Politics

Wheaton described himself as a liberal in 2005. In September 2006 he clarified his anti-Bush beliefs in a blog posting regarding congressional debate over whether to permit torture ofunlawful combatants: "Shame on President Bush. Shame on his Republican allies in Congress."

A column that he wrote for Salon.com in 2005, The Real War on Christmas, attacked commentators like Bill O'Reilly and detailed his arguments with his conservative parents over current political matters. Wheaton's parents were very offended by the article, and he posted a lengthy apology on his site and an interview in which his parents clarified their political views.

On August 24, 2007, he gave the keynote for the yearly Penny Arcade Expo, which was subsequently made available online. He stepped in following a public battle between the formerly-scheduled keynote debate participants, noted anti-games activist Jack Thompson and Hal Halpin, the president of the Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA). Much of Wheaton’s address focused on the debate over violence in video games. He also gave the keynote at PAX East 2010 in Boston, MA.

He supported Barack Obama in the 2008 Presidential Election and opposed Proposition 8, calling it "nothing but hate and discrimination".

It's as if a game journalist dubbed Shigeru Miyamoto "The Mario guy". 

And I can't help but think of  this clip:
bricewgilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 25

#43  Edited By bricewgilbert
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @Cartman86: lol calm down, it was just for fun. Who doesn't know Will? "
twas a joke.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#44  Edited By Icemael
@Gaff: You know what video-game related things I see in that Wikipedia quote? Things that every single goddamn video game journalist, blogger and even regular forum dweller has done.

But I suppose because he did it in a PAX keynote and not on his blog/site/forum/whatever (and keep in mind that many of these blogs and sites are more popular than PAX), he's comparable to Shigeru Miyamoto, one of the industry's luminaries.
Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By Lautaro
@Icemael said:
" @Gaff: You know what video-game related things I see in that Wikipedia quote? Things that every single goddamn video game journalist, blogger and even regular forum dweller has done.

But I suppose because he did it in a PAX keynote and not on his blog/site/forum/whatever (and keep in mind that many of these blogs and sites are more popular than PAX), he's comparable to Shigeru Miyamoto, one of the industry's luminaries. "
Well put sir, this Wheaton guy just came off as an idiot in that twitter argument.
Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
@Gaff: Um, the only thing in there that he did for gamers specifically was step in to do a keynote when other people dropped out.  Honestly, that's not something to get uppity about.  The GamePolitics guy asked what Will has done for gamers specifically, and I have seen nothing in this thread or from Will's douchey remarks that answers that question.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow

God, are you people morons or what?  Look, I'm no fan of his work (I hated him in Star Trek TNG) but he is a high profile gaming celebrity for geeks.  You know, that vast majority of gamers which most of you here pretend not to be aligned with.  You know, the kind of people who work hard at menial jobs so that they can go to CONs and play D & D on a regular basis and be the geek army which validates our market with high turnout numbers to these CONs where game publishers market aggressively.  The kind of people I have nothing to do with personally.  That said I know who they are and how important Will Wheaton is to them because he is a nexus between Star Trek geek-star and visible-to-the-public gamer.

The so called journalists were looking for answers which they could have found on fucking Twitter.  They shouldn't have asked him what they probably already knew and he was insulted by the stupid question.  He is a public figure who has made his politics well known in quotable terms more than once.  Any fucking proper journalist who knows wtf they are doing should be mindful of that when addressing a public figure.  It's as simple as that.  They weren't and he was offended by their stupidity and said as much.  Their stupidity reflects poorly on his work to make his political views known; he's been quoted before, so when someone asks him what they should already know it either looks like they don't know who they're talking to or worse, his opinion isn't worthy of their time.  In short they mishandled a public figure and then proceeded to do so further, which further raised his ire.

I realise that a lot of you are young and naive but that doesn't excuse you being a bunch of fucktards when it comes to basic journalism in the process of getting a sound (or in this case twit) bite.  It also doesn't excuse for going LOLOL LOOK AT THE ANGRY MAN because you don't fucking understand why he's angry.  Try getting off that diet of shitty reality TV and Lady Gaga music and realise that there are standards and practices which people have to live by if they want to call themselves journalists.  Not everything is the internet equivalent of bumfights.

Jadeskye, I'm sorry you even tried.

:/

jackbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jackbag

"Our culture?" 

We have a culture?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@SeriouslyNow: Dude, seriously, Lady Gaga is awesome. 

Good post none the less.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BraveToaster
@mylifeforAiur said:
" Pardon my ignorance, but who are these people?  :I "
I know, right