Flame war erupts on Twitter between Wil Wheaton and GamePolitics

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blogpostnogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By blogpostnogood

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY COMMITMENT AND CONTRIBUTIONS TO MY TARGET MARKET!!!!!!!

notsonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#52  Edited By notsonic

i dont know who wil wheaton is and i hate anyone who wants to segregated people who play videogames and prolong the associated stereotypes by reinforcing some kind of "culture". "our culture." no thanks.

Avatar image for theblindchessman
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By TheBlindChessman
@SeriouslyNow: Ironically by calling people morons and fucktards I think you've just posted the most childish thing in this thread.
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#54  Edited By Jost1

internet DRAMA

Shadow71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Shadow71

I think Wil definitely freaked out a bit too much.

Avatar image for theblindchessman
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TheBlindChessman
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @TheBlindChessman said:
" @SeriouslyNow: Ironically by calling people morons and fucktards I think you've just posted the most childish thing in this thread. "
Uh no.  I'm merely relating how I feel using expletives.  I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities, asshole. "
lol
unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By unchained
@SeriouslyNow said:
" God, are you people morons or what?  Look, I'm no fan of his work (I hated him in Star Trek TNG) but he is a high profile gaming celebrity for geeks.  You know, that vast majority of gamers which most of you here pretend not to be aligned with.  You know, the kind of people who work hard at menial jobs so that they can go to CONs and play D & D on a regular basis and be the geek army which validates our market with high turnout numbers to these CONs where game publishers market aggressively.  The kind of people I have nothing to do with personally.  That said I know who they are and how important Will Wheaton is to them because he is a nexus between Star Trek geek-star and visible-to-the-public gamer.  The so called journalists were looking for answers which they could have found on fucking Twitter.  They shouldn't have asked him what they probably already knew and he was insulted by the stupid question.  He is a public figure who has made his politics well known in quotable terms more than once.  Any fucking proper journalist who knows wtf they are doing should be mindful of that when addressing a public figure.  It's as simple as that.  They weren't and he was offended by their stupidity and said as much.  Their stupidity reflects poorly on his work to make his political views known; he's been quoted before, so when someone asks him what they should already know it either looks like they don't know who they're talking to or worse, his opinion isn't worthy of their time.  In short they mishandled a public figure and then proceeded to do so further, which further raised his ire.  I realise that a lot of you are young and naive but that doesn't excuse you being a bunch of fucktards when it comes to basic journalism in the process of getting a sound (or in this case twit) bite.  It also doesn't excuse for going LOLOL LOOK AT THE ANGRY MAN because you don't fucking understand why he's angry.  Try getting off that diet of shitty reality TV and Lady Gaga music and realise that there are standards and practices which people have to live by if they want to call themselves journalists.  Not everything is the internet equivalent of bumfights. Jadeskye, I'm sorry you even tried.  :/ "
Excellent post. 
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By yakov456

Young Will seems like a bit of a short tempered dick.

seishiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By seishiro

@SeriouslyNow: Come on. You know as well as I do that speaking up as a gamer is never enough. You have to organize a 1000 man march, sit on a segregated bench, or martyr yourself before you've actually done for gamers. Pah, equal rights. What has that ever done for me?

Drakhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Drakhir

I don't think I've ever heard about both parts.
Don't hit me, please? :v

LumpOfCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By LumpOfCole

Wil came off as a massive douche here.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By LegalBagel

Sometimes I question your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By sixghost
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @Icemael:@Icemael said:
" Who the fuck is Wil Wheaton? "
"
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Steve_C

This Wil guy seems like a self-important cunt. Never heard of him.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagine that, a C-list celebrity getting his panties in a knot over someone asking what he has done that didn't involve preaching to the choir. 

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By KuribosShoe

The dude was looking for celebrities who were outspoken on gamers' rights to the mainstream media.  All Wil Wheaton does is say "gamers are awesome!" to gamers who already think that gamers are awesome.  Gamers.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By sixghost
@SeriouslyNow said:
" God, are you people morons or what?  Look, I'm no fan of his work (I hated him in Star Trek TNG) but he is a high profile gaming celebrity for geeks.  You know, that vast majority of gamers which most of you here pretend not to be aligned with.  You know, the kind of people who work hard at menial jobs so that they can go to CONs and play D & D on a regular basis and be the geek army which validates our market with high turnout numbers to these CONs where game publishers market aggressively.  The kind of people I have nothing to do with personally.  That said I know who they are and how important Will Wheaton is to them because he is a nexus between Star Trek geek-star and visible-to-the-public gamer.  The so called journalists were looking for answers which they could have found on fucking Twitter.  They shouldn't have asked him what they probably already knew and he was insulted by the stupid question.  He is a public figure who has made his politics well known in quotable terms more than once.  Any fucking proper journalist who knows wtf they are doing should be mindful of that when addressing a public figure.  It's as simple as that.  They weren't and he was offended by their stupidity and said as much.  Their stupidity reflects poorly on his work to make his political views known; he's been quoted before, so when someone asks him what they should already know it either looks like they don't know who they're talking to or worse, his opinion isn't worthy of their time.  In short they mishandled a public figure and then proceeded to do so further, which further raised his ire.  I realise that a lot of you are young and naive but that doesn't excuse you being a bunch of fucktards when it comes to basic journalism in the process of getting a sound (or in this case twit) bite.  It also doesn't excuse for going LOLOL LOOK AT THE ANGRY MAN because you don't fucking understand why he's angry.  Try getting off that diet of shitty reality TV and Lady Gaga music and realise that there are standards and practices which people have to live by if they want to call themselves journalists.  Not everything is the internet equivalent of bumfights. Jadeskye, I'm sorry you even tried.  :/ "
Thanks for supporting GB with a yearly sub, Mr. Wheaton.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Wow, Wil Wheaton usually comes across as a very pleasant guy, they must have really touched a nerve. It seems as though WIl was very threatened by the idea that the site might misrepresent the views of gamers.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#69  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Wil Wheaton, representing.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By Dalai

Wil took away about half my chips in an online poker tournament once. I don't really like him for that reason alone.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Olivaw
@KuribosShoe said:
" The dude was looking for celebrities who were outspoken on gamers' rights to the mainstream media.  All Wil Wheaton does is say "gamers are awesome!" to gamers who already think that gamers are awesome.  Gamers. "
It's true you know!

I don't really know what political advocacy Wil Wheaton does, because I'm pretty sure he doesn't do any of that. Not sure why he flew the fuck off the handle at someone who didn't know who he was or something.
moondogger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By moondogger

I love Wil Wheaton. But dude, chill.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@moondogger said:
" I love Wil Wheaton. But dude, chill. "
Ditto. 
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By cookiemonster

I don't understand the original question in the first 'tweet', I don't know who this Will person is and I don't know what GamePolitics is. To me, its two nobody's arguing over fuck all. 

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

No idea who those people are.  Dude sounded like a fucking douche.  Anyone who claims to be an advocate for "gaming culture" most likely should be shot.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By LiquidSwords

Who?

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By confideration

I went to Wil's panel at PAX because I had always heard it was entertaining. It ended up being a Wil worship hour (uncomfortably so) when the questions started since he didn't prepare a format. The males at the microphone made everyone uncomfortable, and the females just seemed pathetically obsessive. 

This clearly wasn't the panel for me to attend. I think Wil is a good, smart dude, who wields his nerd celeb status with a fair amount of grace. But I was much more enthused about running into Ryan Davis at the liquor store than finding myself riding an escalator next to Wil Wheaton. I think he slipped up on Twitter but thankfully for him... it is just Twitter. I think perhaps the gaming community isn't doing him many favors by putting him on such a high pedestal. He looks awkward there at times trying to appease the obsessives.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#79  Edited By Undeadpool
This is somewhat reminiscent of the Christan Bale rant, it really seems like dude was just having a crappy day and lashed out. Seeing as this is a fairly isolated incident, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (he's come off very well other times), but I do think he massively overreacted to a guy just trying to get a soundbite. Even if the guy was doing it wrong, he could've just remarked on that. 

@Deathpooky
said:
" Sometimes I question your commitment to Sparkle Motion. "
And how did you feel being denied these..."Hungry, Hungry Hippos?"
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#80  Edited By AndrewB

Going to google about this whole ECA business is with Wil Wheaton.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By MeierTheRed

I'm amazed how many of you don't even know who Wil Wheaton is. 

Wikipedia, go educate yourselves a little.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Binman88

Every single person in the history of world who has ever said anything along the lines of "don't you know who I am" is an asshat, or was at least being an asshat at that point in time when said statement was made. 

I had never heard of Wil Wheaton before this, and my first impression of him is that he's an asshat (see above) and an easily-offended egotistical drama queen who needs to grow a pair and realise he's not the centre of the universe.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83  Edited By Snipzor

Don't fuck with Wil Wheaton, ever. Don't even look at him without a valid reason. Especially don't put him near a hummus, he'll probably eat it all.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Jeffsekai

Who are these people and why should I care.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Noodles

Didn't you hear what contributions Wheaton has made to our culture? Our CULTURE? In all honesty, dude sounds like a prick.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Jeffsekai
@SeriouslyNow said:
/thread
madlaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By madlaughter

GamePolitics could have been better informed, but Will Wheaton was a dick there.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#88  Edited By Cube

Why is Wil Wheaton so famous? 

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#89  Edited By nrain

I'm not sure what that game politics dude is, but I'm pretty sure all he was doing was putting words that sounded fancy in any old order and regarding it as a valid statement.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Lunar_Aura
@Binman88 said:
"Every single person in the history of world who has ever said anything along the lines of "don't you know who I am" is an asshat, or was at least being an asshat at that point in time when said statement was made.  I had never heard of Wil Wheaton before this, and my first impression of him is that he's an asshat (see above) and an easily-offended egotistical drama queen who needs to grow a pair and realise he's not the centre of the universe. "

Stole my reply.
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#91  Edited By Ace829
@Binman88 said:
" Every single person in the history of world who has ever said anything along the lines of "don't you know who I am" is an asshat, or was at least being an asshat at that point in time when said statement was made.  I had never heard of Wil Wheaton before this, and my first impression of him is that he's an asshat (see above) and an easily-offended egotistical drama queen who needs to grow a pair and realise he's not the centre of the universe. "
Took the words right outta my mouth.

@nrain said:
" I'm not sure what that game politics dude is, but I'm pretty sure all he was doing was putting words that sounded fancy in any old order and regarding it as a valid statement. "
What?
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#92  Edited By apathylad

I wasn't sure who Wil Wheaten was when I saw this argument erupt.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By MikkaQ

Fuckin' Wesley... 

Still both sounded like idiots not really knowing what they were talking about. 

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Who's Will Wheaton and why does he represent me? This aint democracy.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#95  Edited By LordAndrew
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Diamond

I love Wil and hate the ECA (total hypocritical joke group) but Wil was acting a little jerky there.  Gamers need to learn civility and respect.  The internet has affected too many gamers' brains.

It just makes you look immature and idiotic when you fly off the handle, it doesn't help yourself or gamers.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#97  Edited By Sooperspy
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @Icemael:@Icemael said:
" Who the fuck is Wil Wheaton? "
"
He played the main character in the movie adaptation of Stephen King's Stand by Me. I highly recommend it. He also played some character in a version of Star Trek.
Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Crash_Happy
@Djeffers03: I'm with you. 
Apart from that, people really need  to stop using Twitter in such ways. GP should have tried to find email address or real contacts like agents and tried communicating that way. Will still acted like an egomaniac though.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By raviolisumo

He kinda flew off the handle there.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points