apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

Edited By apathylad

Flawed Games of the Year!

Okay, with the year wrapping up and a large amount of award features showing up on various sites, I wanted to make a list of my most memorable games of 2009. However, I was afraid that if I were to make such an entry, my list would sound a bit familiar and repetitive, as my favorite games are being praised by professionals who are much better writers than I am. It comes to no surprise that Uncharted 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Street Fighter IV are placed in various Game of the Year lists, so I do not wish to repeat what has already been stated by those guys, and instead I wanted to try something different. I am going to play Devil’s Advocate and try to defend games that came out this year that were unsuccessful or flawed, but still had some clever ideas. ‘Flawed Games of the Year’ may sound like a paradoxical concept (like ‘science fiction’), but bear with me on this one.

Scribblenauts

Scribblenauts has several design issues that prevent it from being a functional video game. The stylus is used to control a lot more than it should, which leads to a cumbersome experience. However I really appreciated what Scribblenauts does accomplish. Sure, it may not work as a game, but it still works as a neat software program. As the game requested that I give the appropriate number and types of animals to the farmer, I was reminded of all the educational computer programs I was shown during my years at elementary school. Programs that taught me how to spell while experiment with different colors and tools on the computer were something I enjoyed, and Scribblenauts works very well if you see it as an interactive toy. If that is all you expect from the product, you will probably happy with the game’s extensive database of nouns and overlook its poor execution.

Plus, my Gamestop preorder came with this hilarious rooster hat:

No Caption Provided

Bionic Commando

Sure, it may be connected to an NES game and the digital remake, but you do not need to have played the retro Bionic Commando game to like this title. Nathan ‘Rad’ Spencer has the qualities of the typical Hollywood action hero, but his bionic arm is what gives the game the edge it needs to be entertaining. I really like Bionic Commando’s swinging mechanics, but it was unfortunate the game’s linearity restrict you on how much you can use it. The game is at its best when it lets you take full advantage of the arm’s capabilities, whether its attacking with a shockwave from a giant fall, tossing cars at enemies, or scaling tall buildings.

That being said Bionic Commando was one of the worst selling games of this year, which was really unfortunate. The game had multiplayer, but it was never the main appeal of the product, and there was much less of an incentive to play this feature if few people had it to begin with. The story in the campaign had a very confusing plot twist and unclear cliffhanger in which (SPOILERS!):

Super Joe tells Spencer that his wife was used to make his bionic arm, so his arm was essentially all that was left of his wife. Joe says some mumbo jumbo that they were unable to make machines emulate humans, so they somehow made humans emulate machines….? The plot twist became a big recurring joke on the Joystiq podcast, so much so that the term “wife armed” has even earned an entry on urbandictionary.com

Wife armed: When an un-foreshadowed plot twist completely invalidates a story.

The plot of the new Bionic Commando game completely got completely wife armed.

The game concludes with Spencer killing Joe before falling thousands of feet while unconscious, so it is not clear how he exactly survives, or whether a sequel will be made soon. If a sequel does get made, I’m hoping all the Pepsi advertisements will be a bit more subtle.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

There is a reason this game is Giantbomb’s Guilty Pleasure of the Year:

50 Cent's second foray into the world of interactive entertainment is not a good game. But it somehow manages to be great in some weird way.”

Well said. There is something unintentionally hilarious about 50 Cent and the G-Unit crew running around gunning down enemies in the Middle East. If this game had generic set of mercenaries trying to get a skull from the antagonists, the experience would have been forgettable. But, the fact the game stars the platinum selling rapper makes the whole experience feel surreal. Honestly, the last time I was this puzzled by a game’s existence was when I purchased Sneak King from the local Burger King place. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is the only game I can think of that lets you purchase swear words instead of weapons, if you so choose to do so.

Yayo says God, Banks says God, DJ Whoo Kid says...Obama?

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Hey, it’s a game based on a classic film, but continues the series’ story instead of merely recreating it. I’ll admit that I never actually got around to playing Ghostbusters yet, but I do think there is a lot of potential to be explored in using the medium to revive older film franchises. This really makes me wonder what other classic movies could be turned into video games successfully. It would have to be something with a strong following for it to be made, but I’m not sure what would work. In any case, if this is done more often, video games could potentially reach a new audience.

James Rolfe (a.k.a. The Angry Video Game Nerd) is a big movie buff, and also happens to be a Ghostbusters fan. He went out of his way to review Ghostbusters: The Video Game in a recent video and it is pretty interesting to watch him analyze the game as both a fan of the film series and as a gamer.

MadWorld

While MadWorld was short and repetitive, the game definitely had a lot of style to it. The monochrome environment (well…monochrome if you ignore the blood splatter) gave the game a distinctive look, and modern gladiatorial contests are a great premise for an action game. The most memorable aspect I found in MadWorld was the hilarious running commentary by Greg Proops and John DiMaggio, who constantly banter throughout the game even when the credits are rolling (“They only had one guy as the ‘Blood Effects Designer’!? Man, he must have been working 24/7.” ). It was one of this year’s Mature rated Nintendo Wii games, and its poor sales make me wish that there will someday be a bestselling adult game for the system, because there are some unique titles for the platform (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, No More Heroes, House of the Dead: Overkill).

So even though these games had problems, I do not regret playing them. There is plenty of room for growths with these particular titles, even though their first entry may have not have made much of an impact. Anyway, I want to leave this open for discussion: What games of 2009 were your guilty pleasures?

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By apathylad

Flawed Games of the Year!

Okay, with the year wrapping up and a large amount of award features showing up on various sites, I wanted to make a list of my most memorable games of 2009. However, I was afraid that if I were to make such an entry, my list would sound a bit familiar and repetitive, as my favorite games are being praised by professionals who are much better writers than I am. It comes to no surprise that Uncharted 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Street Fighter IV are placed in various Game of the Year lists, so I do not wish to repeat what has already been stated by those guys, and instead I wanted to try something different. I am going to play Devil’s Advocate and try to defend games that came out this year that were unsuccessful or flawed, but still had some clever ideas. ‘Flawed Games of the Year’ may sound like a paradoxical concept (like ‘science fiction’), but bear with me on this one.

Scribblenauts

Scribblenauts has several design issues that prevent it from being a functional video game. The stylus is used to control a lot more than it should, which leads to a cumbersome experience. However I really appreciated what Scribblenauts does accomplish. Sure, it may not work as a game, but it still works as a neat software program. As the game requested that I give the appropriate number and types of animals to the farmer, I was reminded of all the educational computer programs I was shown during my years at elementary school. Programs that taught me how to spell while experiment with different colors and tools on the computer were something I enjoyed, and Scribblenauts works very well if you see it as an interactive toy. If that is all you expect from the product, you will probably happy with the game’s extensive database of nouns and overlook its poor execution.

Plus, my Gamestop preorder came with this hilarious rooster hat:

No Caption Provided

Bionic Commando

Sure, it may be connected to an NES game and the digital remake, but you do not need to have played the retro Bionic Commando game to like this title. Nathan ‘Rad’ Spencer has the qualities of the typical Hollywood action hero, but his bionic arm is what gives the game the edge it needs to be entertaining. I really like Bionic Commando’s swinging mechanics, but it was unfortunate the game’s linearity restrict you on how much you can use it. The game is at its best when it lets you take full advantage of the arm’s capabilities, whether its attacking with a shockwave from a giant fall, tossing cars at enemies, or scaling tall buildings.

That being said Bionic Commando was one of the worst selling games of this year, which was really unfortunate. The game had multiplayer, but it was never the main appeal of the product, and there was much less of an incentive to play this feature if few people had it to begin with. The story in the campaign had a very confusing plot twist and unclear cliffhanger in which (SPOILERS!):

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

There is a reason this game is Giantbomb’s Guilty Pleasure of the Year:

50 Cent's second foray into the world of interactive entertainment is not a good game. But it somehow manages to be great in some weird way.”

Well said. There is something unintentionally hilarious about 50 Cent and the G-Unit crew running around gunning down enemies in the Middle East. If this game had generic set of mercenaries trying to get a skull from the antagonists, the experience would have been forgettable. But, the fact the game stars the platinum selling rapper makes the whole experience feel surreal. Honestly, the last time I was this puzzled by a game’s existence was when I purchased Sneak King from the local Burger King place. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is the only game I can think of that lets you purchase swear words instead of weapons, if you so choose to do so.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Hey, it’s a game based on a classic film, but continues the series’ story instead of merely recreating it. I’ll admit that I never actually got around to playing Ghostbusters yet, but I do think there is a lot of potential to be explored in using the medium to revive older film franchises. This really makes me wonder what other classic movies could be turned into video games successfully. It would have to be something with a strong following for it to be made, but I’m not sure what would work. In any case, if this is done more often, video games could potentially reach a new audience.

James Rolfe (a.k.a. The Angry Video Game Nerd) is a big movie buff, and also happens to be a Ghostbusters fan. He went out of his way to review Ghostbusters: The Video Game in a recent video and it is pretty interesting to watch him analyze the game as both a fan of the film series and as a gamer.

MadWorld

While MadWorld was short and repetitive, the game definitely had a lot of style to it. The monochrome environment (well…monochrome if you ignore the blood splatter) gave the game a distinctive look, and modern gladiatorial contests are a great premise for an action game. The most memorable aspect I found in MadWorld was the hilarious running commentary by Greg Proops and John DiMaggio, who constantly banter throughout the game even when the credits are rolling (“They only had one guy as the ‘Blood Effects Designer’!? Man, he must have been working 24/7.” ). It was one of this year’s Mature rated Nintendo Wii games, and its poor sales make me wish that there will someday be a bestselling adult game for the system, because there are some unique titles for the platform (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, No More Heroes, House of the Dead: Overkill).

So even though these games had problems, I do not regret playing them. There is plenty of room for growths with these particular titles, even though their first entry may have not have made much of an impact. Anyway, I want to leave this open for discussion: What games of 2009 were your guilty pleasures?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Then again, DJ Whoo Kid is the only person who put a coherent location for the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" part, so maybe that's a more intelligent answer than you'd think. Not saying you thought it was a bad answer, just that you didn't notice what I did.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By apathylad
@Video_Game_King: 

I found the answers in general to be pretty funny.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust

Interesting read.  While I think it is a valiant effort to defend games that are techically broken, I don't think I would classify them also as flawed.  At least not in the sense of the word that I routinely use.  You see I believe that all of my favorite games are deeply flawed in areas.  For example, I am playing Mass Effect again for the 3rd time because I really enjoy it and yet I hate the Mako (APC), the horrible inventory, the boring planet surveys, how there is little to do with the amassed wealth you eventually acquire, the long load times, there is no way to change party members without returning to the ship, the graphical texture pop in, lop sided character classes, and an featureless map system.  But, the good outweighs the bad which is why I continue to play.  So, for me, practically every game is "flawed." 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By apathylad
@PenguinDust: 

Well, I suppose what I was trying to get at was that these are games I do not consider to be 'Game of the Year' caliber, but I still do not regret playing. All of the games I posted (except for Bionic Commando, but even that game received scores in the 7 range) received 3 stars on Giantbomb. Even the best games may have flaws, but those flaws for the overall product to be called a great game. I suppose 'Guilty Pleasures' may have been a more accurate term.
Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Ferginator4k

id say maybe Brutal Legend as the story of the game is amazing but the gameplay flawed

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By scarace360

i didnt really find a problem with ghostbuster only that the online died really fast.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By gingertastic_10

Completely agree with you on Bionic Commando. I loved it but yes, it was kind of bad at times.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax

Would Left 4 Dead 2 fit in this list? It wasn't unsuccesful by any means, but the online multiplayer is incredibly laggy

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By agentboolen

Silent Hill - Homecoming. Game has screwed up inverted controls and the shitty game director points out that he doens't give a shit. I loved that series but I will not play a game that does not have inverted controls! 

Now I know why it was on a clearance rack at Best Buy for $10. If that game director is a member of giantbomb and happens to see this I just want him to know that I think he sucks!

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@agentboolen said:
" [...] I will not play a game that does not have inverted controls!
What is this, 1995?

I always think of "flawed" as some minor issues that disappoint or frustrate sometimes. So, for example, Assassin's Creed II would be "flawed" for me because the climbing control in that game was garbage. The movement was slow, awkward, and sometimes Ezio would just do stuff that was uncalled for. I still don't understand why Ubisoft couldn't have taken a leaf from Uncharted's book and not allow the player to jump to where Drake wasn't really meant to go.

For me, climbing was done so much better in Uncharted 2 and inFamous. But I still enjoyed Assassin's Creed II a lot for the story and other parts of the gameplay. For me, then, I would term Assassin's Creed II to be "flawed".
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By agentboolen
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @agentboolen said:
" [...] I will not play a game that does not have inverted controls!
What is this, 1995?

I always think of "flawed" as some minor issues that disappoint or frustrate sometimes. So, for example, Assassin's Creed II would be "flawed" for me because the climbing control in that game was garbage. The movement was slow, awkward, and sometimes Ezio would just do stuff that was uncalled for. I still don't understand why Ubisoft couldn't have taken a leaf from Uncharted's book and not allow the player to jump to where Drake wasn't really meant to go.

For me, climbing was done so much better in Uncharted 2 and inFamous. But I still enjoyed Assassin's Creed II a lot for the story and other parts of the gameplay. For me, then, I would term Assassin's Creed II to be "flawed". "
O.k. so just because I only like inverted controls that makes me a out dated 90's gamer???  Sorry if I believe game standards being old or new should be followed.   

Excuse me if I think your just some cocky young kid that's first console was a PS2.  For your "Flaw" its about a developer allowing you to have total freedom, my "Flaw" is because a in-experienced game director doesn't have a clue what inverted controls are!  If you ask me thats more of a "Flaw" then yours, hell I'm pointing out that the "Flaw" is bigger then just the game, its the actual Game's Director, a position that should go to a person that has many years of experience and have a clue about features of a game that a in experienced person would not.   

Besides your "Flaw" doesn't make you change your style of game playing, my "Flaw" discriminates against many gamers, ask around I'm betting there are more inverted camera controlled gamers then you think...  Its like you think people that played games in 1995 don't play games anymore!
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By agentboolen

Besides isn't Assassins Creed 2 about sneaking around and stealth?? If your sneaking how are you going to move fast with out making noise?? Slow moving means less noise.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@agentboolen: Woah, calm down kid. I was playing Die Hard on the NES a long time ago. (Although the PlayStation 2 would be a pretty good first console to have for kids today, don't you think?) And Die Hard is one hell of a game, as well. So you like to press left for the camera to turn right. Whatever floats your boat. I hope that works for you when motion controls roll around and become mainstream (if they ever do). My criticism of you was entirely lighthearted and surely did not merit such a passionate and raged-filled response.

Games like Uncharted and inFamous show how urban traversal is done well, as opposed to Assassin's Creed II.