#1 Posted by NoSuchSol (19 posts) -
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/gaming-s-greatest-values/1408251     

They start off by saying that games are more expensive(agree with that) and consoles are 300.00(which they hover around that). That got me wondering about what they've been through the last few generations on popular consoles at launch.  Here's my quick list: 

Nintendo - 199.99 
Super Nintendo - 199.99 
N64 - 199.99 
Gamecube - 199.99 
Wii - 249.99 

PS1 - 299.99 
PS2 - 299.99
PS3 - 499.99/599.99 (nice jump there) 

360 - 499.99 (had hdd) 

I would say it's been pretty gradual over time for consoles. Nintendo has been incredibly steady, but the Wii isn't necessarily a next gen console. With higher graphics power I would assume it to be closer to 350.00...  

Anywho, found this site:  http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Launch_price  which has inflation factored in and now it doesn't seem too steep. Nintendo and SNES in the 300.00 range.  

That does beg the next question: does a poor economic outlook affect video games and result in lower prices? At the moment, I'd say no. We've been financial decline(and at the best, stagnation) for a while now but the gaming business continues to bring more and more A-list games out. The systems manufacturers have been relatively steady with prices; going with a give more for the same price approach rather than give the same for less money. =) viva la v/g's!
#2 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@NoSuchSol said:
"viva la v/g's! "
I'll drink (water) to that!
#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

But 60 dollars for a PC game? They're just begging for pirates to bend them over. 

(I'm not a pirate)

#4 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
@Jack268:  I've seen you don the eyepatch and peg leg. Also, you were spotted entering a pet store and browsing the wide selection of parrots.
#5 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1203 posts) -

Video games now are like movies during the Great Depression. Everyone needs a little escape from the hellhole brewing around us.

#6 Posted by NoSuchSol (19 posts) -

I'm with you on the price of the game, but development costs have got to be higher than they were at the time of Super Mario Bro's or Zelda. *shrug* It appears, to me, that they continue to stay steady with console prices to inflation, but that games can readily increase due to dev costs or profit. I'm too lazy and can't remember what the cost of a nintendo game was. 

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@TheCreamFilling said:
" Video games now are like movies during the Great Depression. Everyone needs a little escape from the hellhole brewing around us. "
You mean the next big game's gonna involve a newspaper tycoon leading a life devoid of joy in any way? That sounds like a horrible idea for a game :P!
#8 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@thehexeditor: that was my evil twin
#9 Edited by Gaff (1890 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

" @TheCreamFilling said:

" Video games now are like movies during the Great Depression. Everyone needs a little escape from the hellhole brewing around us. "

You mean the next big game's gonna involve a newspaper tycoon leading a life devoid of joy in any way? That sounds like a horrible idea for a game :P!"
But will it be gaming's Citizen Kane? 

Also:   
@NoSuchSol:

They start off by saying that games are more expensive(agree with that).

Lies! At least until I see a comparison of game prices over the course of the last 30 years, corrected for inflation! Not to mention that the development costs have gone up significantly:  

the costs of developing games for the next-generation of consoles such as Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 is estimated to be roughly $10 million as compared to $3-$5 million for the Xbox, PlayStation 2 and GameCube.'The exact licensing fee varies based on the manufacturer (NintendoSonyMicrosoft), as well as any deals they may give a publisher, but it can generally be anywhere from $3 to $10 per unit.'Wholesalers typically pay around $30 per game and with the costs of getting the goods to the wholesalers, any co-op advertising or marketing, and return of good contingencies being roughly $14 per game, the publisher is going to typically get $16 for every unit sold.

#10 Posted by NoSuchSol (19 posts) -

@Gaff - that's what I was looking for. Thanks.  

@Video_Game_King - I think I'd play that game... Depression Tycoon! survive and build an empire.

#11 Posted by Aas (604 posts) -

If you take inflation into account, I guess Nintendo consoles are actually getting cheaper.

#12 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" But 60 dollars for a PC game? They're just begging for pirates to bend them over.  (I'm not a pirate) "
Console games have been $60 for the past five or six years. While the increase isn't exactly the best thing for your wallet, there are surely worse things.
#13 Posted by zepp (229 posts) -

Meh. The cost of video games may not be rising but that aside it's still an expensive hobby. All those $60 games add up, but I guess considering the production costs of these games it's understandable why they charge what they do.

#14 Posted by NoSuchSol (19 posts) -

I should have mentioned the collector editions as well... I'm such a sucker for some of those. The next two conquests for me are Fallout: New Vegas & Gran Turismo... 110.00 of video game being purchased for 170.00 (minus a gift card I had). Needless to say, the article does point back that the longer the game the better the value.  God of War 3 didn't last that long and the replay value wasn't there. Give me MW2, Demon's Souls, or Red Dead and my value has been extended greatly. I've had days and days of playing time for each of those games.