• 81 results
#1 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

Yes i know the all the quicklooks are still free and the website is amazing true!

But i feel like alot of videos recently are subscribers only . Seeing 4 videos in a row on the frontpage and all 4 are premium ehh pissed me off.

I mean i don't even care about dota its even free2play so why make it a premium video? That's just weird.

#2 Edited by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

They have to make money, so of course they're going to keep a certain amount of stuff back for the premium members, especially when not much else is going on games wise.

#3 Posted by MrJorOwe (282 posts) -

There's too much premium content?

#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

I'm kinda pissed that you are using the white website.

Also Rorie and Alex are jerks for making the movie podcast premium. :(

#5 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

I think it's great.

#6 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

You do realize that it has been about a month sense any actual premium content, and that it costs us like 5$ a month. So while you might be pissed that all this is premium, Look at it from the other side, where a premium user has had 2-3 weeks with out a subscriber video.

#7 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4813 posts) -

All the game coverage stuff is free for regular members. That includes the Bombcast (thank Christ). The Premium stuff isn't games coverage and most of the time is only tangentially related to games. Spookin', UPF, Untitled Movie Podcast, and the like is premium because it's more "watch the guys dick around" than it is games coverage.

As far as the complaint that there hasn't been much "free" stuff, well, that goes with the fact that it's July and no games are out. You can't quick look thin air, although I think it'd be hilarious if Giant Bomb tried.

#8 Posted by big_jon (5728 posts) -

Fair enough

#9 Posted by ThunderSlash (1730 posts) -

The Daily Dota is free if you watch it on their Twitch archive page AFAIK.

#10 Edited by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

Time to support the website you're using I guess?

#11 Edited by onarum (2089 posts) -

Amount of subscriber content for the entirety of july up to this point : 7 (counting the dota videos which I don't even watch, because I fucking hate dota)

Amount of quicklooks alone for july : 21(counting the enciclopedia bombastica)

WTF are you whining about?

#12 Posted by csl316 (8678 posts) -

Two days ago the big post was "not enough premium content." Now there's too much.

Really, if they followed every one of these posts we'd wind up with the game website equivalent of The Homer.

#13 Posted by Tarsier (1064 posts) -

when did the premium stuff turn into webcam videos from GBers apartment bedrooms?

remember when they were actually produced videos? and when there WERE actual produced videos on the site that didnt just happen once or twice a year?

when did this start going down hill? was it when they moved back to the gamespot building?

#14 Posted by ottoman673 (517 posts) -

3:1 Ratio of Free:Premium

In other words, shut the fuck up, or get a premium membership. $5 a month really isn't that much, after all

#15 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

Another summer, another too much premium content thread.

#16 Posted by Abendlaender (2806 posts) -

Oh no, there is too much content. I don't have 5$ a month to support this website and I'm angry that I only get 90% of the content for free, woe is me.

remember when they were actually produced videos? and when there WERE actual produced videos on the site that didnt just happen once or twice a year?

No, I don't actually. What is a "produced video"?

#17 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

I'd be pissed if I was using the white version of the site too.

#18 Posted by wjb (1662 posts) -

Wasn't there a thread about how there was no premium content like, less than a week ago?

(Don't answer. I know there was.)

#19 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4813 posts) -

@tarsier said:

when did the premium stuff turn into webcam videos from GBers apartment bedrooms?

As far as I know, Jeff's "Jar Time" is the only premium video to be filmed in his bedroom. And considering the insight we get in that format I don't care. Some of Jeff's best commentary came out of Jar Time.

The entire video team of Giant Bomb consists of Drew and Vinny. Back in the Whiskey basement that didn't matter so much because they could borrow Joey or the other video editors around the office. They're at CBSi now, and they've more or less lost the support structure available at Whiskey. They can borrow Ian (and Andy, I think there's an Andy) to run the control room during live streams, but that's about it. For a four man team in office, quick and dirty is just easier on them at the moment.

Also, this idea that Giant Bomb content was "actually produced" videos is weird. All of their content has been more or less dude on couch, or dudes on couch. The only difference between then and now is that live streams are mega popular. That's pretty much it.

#20 Edited by alternate (2707 posts) -

I love your site but I ain't paying for it.

Adverts? Fuck that. Adblock has my back.

Wait. Where did the site go?

#21 Posted by Abendlaender (2806 posts) -

@tarsier said:

As far as I know, Jeff's "Jar Time" is the only premium video to be filmed in his bedroom. And considering the insight we get in that format I don't care. Some of Jeff's best commentary came out of Jar Time.

The entire video team of Giant Bomb consists of Drew and Vinny. Back in the Whiskey basement that didn't matter so much because they could borrow Joey or the other video editors around the office. They're at CBSi now, and they've more or less lost the support structure available at Whiskey. They can borrow Ian (and Andy, I think there's an Andy) to run the control room during live streams, but that's about it. For a five man team in office, quick and dirty is just easier on them at the moment.

Also, this idea that Giant Bomb content was "actually produced" videos is weird. All of their content has been more or less dude on couch, or dudes on couch. The only difference between then and now is that live streams are mega popular. That's pretty much it.

Wasn't Andy the french guy? I'm pretty sure he left.

#22 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

All of the DOTA streams are available free on Twitch.tv

#23 Edited by alternate (2707 posts) -

@abendlaender said:

Oh no, there is too much content. I don't have 5$ a month to support this website and I'm angry that I only get 90% of the content for free, woe is me.

No, I don't actually. What is a "produced video"?

I assume he means heavily edited ones such as video reviews, the old style ILM and GOTY videos - and the reason they only happen a couple of times a year is becasue they are a colossal drain on resources.

#24 Edited by RonGalaxy (3170 posts) -

well, you COULD watch the daily dota on twitch if you wanted to. The other ones were premium streams when they were live, so no twitch archive.

#25 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

50 dollars is not that much. Don't be cheap, bro.

#26 Edited by Chaser324 (6546 posts) -

@abendlaender: That was Thomas (@idbloc). As far as I know, he was never anywhere near a camera or Tricaster.

#27 Edited by cabrit_sans_cor (116 posts) -

Because if they didn't create incentives for people to buy subscriptions to support them, they'd never be economically feasible and you wouldn't get all the shit you're getting for free? The site would probably die off or become more bowdlerized and sterile, like every other fucking game site out there?

I'm sorry (I'm not really, though), but you aren't entitled to have everything given to you for free, and these guys have to make a living.

#28 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4813 posts) -

@abendlaender: I honestly don't know. I never paid much attention to the names they told to turn the big knob because I've never seen them on camera. Except Ian. Dude's got Wolverine sideburns.

@clumsyninja1 said:

50 dollars is not that much. Don't be cheap, bro.

Come on, man. It's not a matter of "cheap." Some people think Giant Bomb is a site worth paying for to get the premium goodies, some people don't. When those people raise a question about the lack of quick looks or whatever normal/free content is produced, it's not a big deal. Their thoughts are just as valid as ours. And that's not even touching on the whole "$50 is a lot of money to some people" argument.

#29 Posted by joshwent (2207 posts) -

Gamespot's content is totally free.

For good reason.

#30 Posted by steelerzfan101 (271 posts) -

It's the summer, what else are they going to do. I myself am probably going to spend the 50 bucks to get a premium subscription. The stuff that they are doing looks great and I know I am missing out!

#31 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

5$

#32 Posted by joshth (505 posts) -

No one can ever stop complaining about this stuff. It's like every month there is either a thread that there is too much or too little premium content. There is literally more than 10 hours of video content from July alone for non-subscribers. Over 10 hours of podcast time. There is also an abundance of premium content for those who are subscribed. All this from a month with a tragedy that would have caused most sites like this to have little to no content. Why can't people just be happy with what they have?

#34 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Gamespot's content is totally free.

For good reason.

Because its quality, right?

#35 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

This is not the time to demand content.

#36 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4813 posts) -

@little_socrates: I'm taking it as a sign that we're returning to normalcy. Bitching about content output is just another step on the road to recovery.

#37 Posted by kaos_cracker (588 posts) -

Yeah, I guess 5 bucks is just too much money these days. I used to be mad when I didn't have premium, but that was a very long time ago.

#38 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

@little_socrates: I'm taking it as a sign that we're returning to normalcy. Bitching about content output is just another step on the road to recovery.

If Twitter weren't the way it is today, I'd agree with you.

#39 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Looks like it's that time of year again...

#40 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5515 posts) -

I'm just happy there's new content. :D

#41 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

I like these threads because everyone who comments sounds like a total asshole.

#43 Posted by cyberfunk (108 posts) -

Check out the Archives. Literally thousands of hours of free content at your disposal.

#44 Posted by Dacnomaniac (442 posts) -

@edin899: Seriously...? There is a premium option for a reason....

#45 Posted by claybrez (75 posts) -
#46 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1588 posts) -

@thepickle: Well I'm mad you're using the black website. It hurts my eyes and the words get all "floaty."

#47 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
#48 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

Didn't we just have a thread yesterday showing concern over the lack of premium content?

#49 Posted by hollitz (1521 posts) -

It's almost like you should get a premium account if you want to see premium content.

#50 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2486 posts) -

It pisses you off sure, but as a paying subscriber it's awesome to actually have valid reason for continuing to pay.

Just pay up man, if it really effects you that much shell out the cash and quit bitching.