For those that own both Consoles - What do you buy games for?

• 134 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

Like many people out there, I own both consoles and enjoy gaming on both consoles. Both have some great exclusives and both have great features. The problem I've been encountering lately though, is deciding what console to buy games for. I realize that they're both almost exactly the same in terms of games but it's always nice to have the majority of your collection on one platform.

So multi-console owners, what do you buy the majority of your games on?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

The Wii.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I own a gaming PC, a 360 and a PS3. I usually rent games for the PS3, but when it comes to purchasing multi platform games I'll most likely go PC.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

You seem to be forgetting the PC. This is relevant because these days, pretty much everything on consoles is also released on PC's.

Also, as the only thing I own that's powerful enough to play modern games is an Xbox 360, that's where almost all of my gaming is. I also have a Wii, but it doesn't get used much. Finally, my brother has a PS3. I initially wanted one but after seeing its exclusives, I think I'll pass.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

PC. If I had to get it on a console I'd probably get it on Xbox. No reason to buy anything on PS3 unless I can't get it elsewhere.

Watching arguments about the differences between Xbox and PS3 versions is like watching children fighting over something really petty.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By phrali

360. because the controller.

also because online games run much smoother on XBL than PSN. not trying to start a console war, but this shit is true.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By killacam

depends on the game. some games just feel right for a certain console/controller. not to mention that some games just run better on 360.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By donchipotle

360 for multiplayer since my friends only have 360s.

Everything else PS3.

If a game has multiplayer (like Assassin's Creed) but my friends aren't interested in it, I get it for the PS3.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By laserbolts

Xbox because the controller is better.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deadmanforking

Really depends. My PS3 has been my go to system as of late, but I like to change it up a little every now and then.

domsalvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By domsalvia

Xbox. I really like the controller, and really dislike the PS3 one. The only PC capable of playing games is tucked away in the office and I would rather sit around the living room with my wife as opposed to in a room off by myself, and my laptop is no way up to gaming.

So, platform goes controller (xbox/pc) -> where I like playing games (xbox). Plus I quite like cheevos ;)

I cannot express how much I dislike the PS3 controller, it's all light and flimsy feeling and has daft triggers :)

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By OmegaPirate

Ps3, controller and better interface.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#14  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Primarily the 360. I don't have any real problems with buying games on either system, so if one has exclusive content or works better for whatever reason, I'll go with that. But for the most part, I like the achievements, UI, and controller just a shade more on the 360, so I'll go with that if there isn't any real difference.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By IBurningStar

PS3. I enjoy everything about it more than my 360. I still get stuff for my 360 every now and then, but nine times out of ten I go with PS3.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By BonOrbitz

Ooh boy, this can get hairy.

I own Wii, 360, PS3, and gaming PC.

I own them all because of the amazing exclusives that are available for each system. With any of them you cannot go wrong in this department.

For multi-platform titles I prefer the PC or 360 because I find that they usually perform better there than on the PS3 in most cases (except for LA Noire). Online also works better than on the PS3 (don't get me started as to how fucking long it takes me to download something from the Sony store). Also, I prefer the controller. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my PS3 for the exclusives and Blu-ray.

I prefer first person shooters on the PC for obvious reasons, and have been buying games I already own for the 360 off of steam for cheap so my fiance can have the TV more. The graphics also look better on the PC.

So, to answer your question: 360.

CottoneUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By CottoneUD

@OmegaPirate said:

Ps3, controller and better interface.

This lately -- the PS+ freebies are a nice touch now. Although my Mass Effect 1&2 saves are on the xbox, so I'll likely go back there for ME3.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By asmo917

If there's a "lead console," like the PS3 was for Arkham Asylum, I'll go for PS3. If the series has a long history with the Playstation, like Final Fantasy (and yes, I know it didn't start there), I choose the PS3. Otherwise, it's usually 360.

The same is true for my PC - both it and the PS3 are essentially "exclusives machines." I'll also buy a game across multiple platforms if I have friends playing on different platforms or I REALLY like the game. I have Skyrim for all 3, and I've bought Borderlands for myself or as a gift probably 7 or 8 times, and only one of those being on the 360.

Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Solidsnak

tend to play shooting games and multi-player on xbox, I prefer the higher tension in the xbox controller. for longer single player games I try to go with ps3 version unless there are known issues.

and of course if things get cheap I'll play them on computer as well.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By wrighteous86

I like to download as many of the games as I can. If a game is on the PSN or Games on Demand, I'll do that. My 360 HDD is getting pretty full though, and I have the 250 gb hard drive, so I'm trying to use the PS3 more.

If it has significant multiplayer and has a history, or more content, on the 360, I usually buy it for that.

If it's a Japanese game, a fighting game, an adventure game, or has no significant multiplayer, or is historically a Playstation franchise, like MGS and Silent Hill, I buy it for PS3.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By B0nd07

There are three consoles.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By OmegaPirate

@CottoneUD: Yeah i'm pretty much in the same boat, my 360 has all my ME saves so that is where i shall finish the story.

In general i prefer ps3 for my gaming, however i always check digital foundry to make sure that if there's something overly negative with a version of a game, i pick up the 'better' version.

technojunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By technojunk

I own all systems and recently built a budget pc that i discovered I actually prefer versus the consoles. I rarely play my wii. I don't play my 360 as often since I got a kinect (Was my main system before a built the pc and got the kinect since I play in my small bedroom) and used to rent games for the PS3 but it's now in my sisters room who uses it for netflix. I've also been buying more games for the pc since they're usually cheaper, on sale more often and I want to see how much I can push my HD 6770.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

Good responses. I'm with a bunch of you guys. I used to buy everything for 360 but the last dashboard update really put me off the 360. Not sure what it is about it but it's really aggravating trying to find things sometimes. So lately I've been purchasing more PS3 games and really enjoying the XMB. I don't play online very much so it seems to work out pretty well.

I also recently purchased a Vita and it seems the PS3 compliments it really nicely with being able to access your profile/trophies on both of them.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By SMTDante89

Unless there's some significant flaw on one version or if there's some exclusive content I'm interested in, then I normally get games on my PS3. (unless I'm running out of space on my PS3, should really upgrade that hard drive soon)

bslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By bslayer

I own all three consoles and don't have a PC that can run anything, so most of my games are purchased for the Xbox. I don't really know why, it's just what I prefer to play my games on. My PS3 is for all the exclusive goodness.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jking47

Completely depends on the game in question. But having all 3 current gen consoles and a decent PC is pretty awesome, having more choices means you are always a winner.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

360. Not even close unfortunately. I haven't even turned on my PS3 since Christmas Eve and that was only to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation on Netflix while wrapping presents. I plan to go back and finish Demon Souls but other than that my PS3 will just collect dust probably.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShockD

I own two consoles and buy games for the PC. Because I'm that alpha!

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By huntad

I mainly buy my multiplatform games for the 360 now. I got burnt by Skyrim, and almost by Mass Effect 3 (if the demo was any indication), so I only buy exclusives and PSN games for the PS3 now.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GunslingerPanda

PC because I'm a grown man.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

PS3. Free online and the controller is more versatile and not suited only for shooters.

Also the XMB is much cleaner than whatever the hell they did the poor xbox's interface. The way I see it is I'm only missing out on cross game voice chat.

therealminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 36

#33  Edited By therealminime

PC first, Xbox second, PS3 third.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By canucks23

Used to go 360 for multiplats usually, and ps3 for exclusives. Now i buy all my multiplat games on pc. My 360 almost never gets touched anymore.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#35  Edited By Sin4profit

PC

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ckeats

360. Controller, friends, and most of all, POINTS.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MikkaQ

Well I have all the modern consoles and a good PC, most singleplayer games I tend to try and get on the PC (But now I'm more hesitant since I can't use my capture card on my PC since it's the PC I also capture with), and I tend to get the good PS3 exclusives as well. But since no one I know has a PC or a PS3 (which I honestly can't blame people for, one's too expensive, the other has shitty online infrastructure), any game I want to play multiplayer I invariably use a 360 for.

Also for multiplatform games that don't come to PC, I tend to default to xbox since I can get achievements out of them. Sony took too long to implement trophies, so they're valueless to me, I'm too far ahead on the xbox. Also no point values so... fuck that.

Avatar image for leeroypinkerton
LeeroyPinkerton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LeeroyPinkerton

I tend to buy my games for the 360. Mostly cause that's where most of my friends are playing. My PS3 library is mostly exclusives, except for Beatles Rockband and L.A. Noire (friend gave it to me).

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By YOUNGLINK

360, gave my ps3 to my parents, so at least someone will use it, for nothing other than blu rays

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheJohn

PS3 for Blu-Rays, PC for games.

hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#41  Edited By hostile

Unless something is really wrong (ala Bayonetta and probably Skyrim when I decide to get it) then I'll go with the PS3 version. Personally I like the trophy system more, most of my friends and family are on PS3, online multiplayer is free and PS3 exclusives are better in my opinion. You might think the last one wouldn't make a difference but if there's a chance for a console to break I know I'll immediately replace my PS3.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Levius

PS3 mainly because my 20gb 360 hard drive is mostly full.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hitchenson

I'd sell my 360, but I have quite a collection built up, so eh. Nowadays I get any games available on PC on PC, anything else on PS3 and the 360 doesn't have exclusives any more, so it just chills there, collecting dust and being useless.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xyzygy

Usually when games have the PS3 as a "lead console", the difference is extremely minimal. However when the 360 is lead console there is a larger difference in quality. So for this reason I almost always get the 360 version. My game collection has 95 360 games, 6 PS3 games, 10 Wii games.

Also, 360 version has achievements and to me they mean infinitely more than the Trophy system Sony has set up. I use my PS3 exclusively for exclusives.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

single player games go either way, but I only have one dual shock, so I usually end up getting multiplayer games on the xbox.

I like the dualshock more than the xbox gamepad though. It's a little more left-handed friendly, but just a little

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Julmust

Da three shitty, yo

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#47  Edited By Brackynews

It's convoluted as hell, but I go by accessories mainly, and gamerscore second. I have my Rock Band instruments for PS3 because of PS2 GH gear being compatible, and I got a Hori stick for PS3 because I will never want fighting games hurting my gamerscore ratio. The corollary is the 360's dpad sucks, and I don't want my casual Rock Band habits cluttering my 360 profile either. So it works out fine. :p

I've come very close to buying a Move, but a Kinect will simply not work with my space. So Child of Eden and HotD:Overkill are on my PS3 shopping list.

The most recent layer as mentioned by others is now PC games just run better and go on sale quicker, so I'll choose Saint's Row 3 on Steam first and use my wired Xbox4PC controller. And for OSX I'm about to buy the Dragon Age 1&2 bundle for $14 from Gamer's Gate to go along with my Diablo III preorder and Steamplay titles.

Finally because Claude and Bond already brought it up, I also have a Hori stick and classic controller pro for my Wii, because I'm a big (big) supporter of Virtual Console. My NES days were spent with an Advantage,and the Wavebird is frankly no good for Super Mario World or Black Tiger. :)

No fanboyism here, just the best games on whatever is the right platform for me at the time.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By tourgen

My PC. PS3 for most other stuff.

Cslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cslaw

When i buy games i almost always buy for the PC, unless the PC port is shit in which case I'll get it for 360. Lately I've been renting multiplatform games on 360 as opposed to buying, so when i do buy a game for one of the consoles its a PS3 exclusive.

Duder_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Duder_Me

I own an average Core 2 Duo laptop, a Wii collecting dust in my closet, and a Playstation 3. I buy old games capable of running on my laptop like Star Wars Battlefront or KOTOR and new games and PS3 exclusives I buy for PS3.