Forget about the content, who's presenting style for conferences do you like the best?

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Forget about the content, who's presenting style for conferences do you like the best? (169 votes)

Microsoft 8%
Sony 63%
Nintendo 7%
EA 4%
Ubisoft 12%
Konami 5%
Other 1%

I mean in terms of who they get presenting and how they actually demo concepts. I've always been partial to Sony personally, I think the cast of characters they've had in recent years have always been stellar with the infallible Mr Tretton leading the charge. Must admit I had never heard of Cerny before but I also liked his presenting style as well as Andrew House.

I've always appreciated Sony's more straightforward approach to delivering content; they turn up, and tell you whats going on for the most part. I say this because I find Microsoft's style of selling a lifestyle and pretending all the execs are the best of friends with forced dialogue really gets to me and I find their conferences hard to watch.

I've also liked Sony's ability to take the piss recently, both at their press conferences and in videos. The year Kevin Butler turned up at the conference was one of my all time favourite E3 moments. So what do you think?

• 
FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sony, Ubisoft tries too hard to be edgy and funny in their conference and something about Don Mattrick makes me want to slap that smug smirk off his face.

Jack Tretton seems like a cool uncle. That's killed people.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony, Ubisoft tries too hard to be edgy and funny in their conference and something about Don Mattrick makes me want to slap that smug smirk off his face.

I loved when he announced the no DRM and everyone was cheering he just stood there smirking

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Sony also had the amazing tag team between Adam Boyes and Shuhei Yoshida. That was crazay!

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Sony's videos of developers talking both here and at the PS4 reveal. Their openings were also cool. Nintendo is a close second though, it's just you and Iwata having a nice chat about some video games and that's pretty great.

5Figh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 5Figh

Sony but also Ubisoft cause damnnnnnnn

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sony also had the amazing tag team between Adam Boyes and Shuhei Yoshida. That was crazay!

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ubi's always manage to make me uncomfortable. Even a good host's going to fumble a few jokes, and it's always just the most painful thing to watch.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony have been the best at presenting their press conference for a couple of years now but I like the entertainment value of the Ubi sideshow, though half of the enjoyment is due to the reactions from other people.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@encephalon: Thats probably why I like Sony's more, I get uncomfortable really easily with that stuff and always have to turn it off or something.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@equitasinvictus said:

Not to mention Jack Tretton and Andrew House laying it down as usual.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised nobody likes #girlwood.

But yeah, Sony had the best presenters: Tretton, Yoshida and Boyes.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gravitate toward Sony's style of press conferences because they present themselves in an almost legalistic fashion. Their press conferences are about laying out all the evidence they think they have as to why you should buy their console. Ps3 stuff, Vita stuff, media stuff, Ps4 stuff, talk about console design, console specs, company policies, indie support and AAA support, etc. They throw everything and the kitchen sink at a press conference, and it's a style that I really dig, even if I don't always like what they present.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mercutio123

@coafi: What was that? I kept seeing that phrase floating around but never actually saw what that was

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By pr1mus

Sony, it's classy and slick.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coafi: What was that? I kept seeing that phrase floating around but never actually saw what that was

It was in the Ubisoft conference, the presenter (Aisha Tyler) had a shirt with that on it. It's a joke she keeps saying or something like that.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flipperdesert said:

I loved when he announced the no DRM and everyone was cheering he just stood there smirking

He killed more than you might think.. and then he buried the bodies. No one knows who or where! Years from now people will find a big map with 1 sentence on it... X marks the spot.

YapaPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Sony. I also want to add that I feel vindicated for all these years of following Giant Bomb after the Sony press conference. Super Giant Games and Adam Boyes? If Brad Muir and John Vignocchi showed up, I would have shit myself. Also Jack Tretton is the best figurehead of the big three. He will shank a mofo.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony, Jack Tretton and Andrew House are always a great combo. Both classy dudes, and interesting to watch. Adam Boyes was also a great addition. Best of all, Shu Yoshida! Dude had an infectious smile!

I also think Aisha Taylor is a pretty good host, some of the dumb jokes they give her are very cringe worthy, but overall a solid presenter.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercutio123 said:

@flipperdesert said:

He killed more than you might think.. and then he buried the bodies. No one knows who or where! Years from now people will find a big map with 1 sentence on it... X marks the spot.

I think this still applies today (from a bombcast a couple years ago at 5:40):

Loading Video...

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of like when I see Brad Muir, I couldn't help but smile when Yoshida came out on stage during the Sony Press Conference.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Konami, just to be a dick.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By flasaltine

Ubisoft

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Ubisoft, not even being funny. I like their style. Feels less corporate and like they don't even give a shit they are so goofy.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are all terrible. Seriously, go watch the WWDC keynote and see how much better their executives are at presenting. It's embarrassing that for such huge companies none of the video game companies can even put out a single good speaker. They are just so boring and fake. Everything they say sounds like it was rehearsed to death and yet they still stumble all the time. They need more people like Kevin Butler up there, hire some damn actors if your executives can't learn how to do a compelling presentation.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Ubisoft's was just so dumb and silly that I can't help but love it, no matter how bad it is.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Milkman

I really appreciated EA's loyalty to dubstep.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I really like the Nintendo Direct videos, they're casual and always look nice. The fact that they release one every few months is an added bonus. If we're talking strictly conferences at E3 however, then Sony by far, it always seems like a big exciting event.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ajamafalous

Sony, easily. Here's my rundown of each:

Microsoft: I really don't like it. It's, like OP said, like they're trying to sell me on their lifestyle vision, almost like Apple does. They always try to act incredibly sincere but everything they ever say sounds so forced and PR-speakish. I also can't stand Don Mattrick or Phil Spencer. Mattrick always seems like a clueless goofball set up to take the fall, and Spencer has a slimey weasel grin that's super unsettling.
Sony: "Get in, kick facts, and then get the FUCK out of there" is Jeff's description of Jack Tretton, and that's exactly how I feel. Sony doesn't bullshit around; they gave some time to the Vita, the PS3, and 'other media,' but not enough to be aggravating like MS does. They gave it the minimum amount of airplay that they could and then went straight to the game and didn't let up. Even when I didn't own a Sony console, I still respected their conference style. We're pretty far removed from Kaz Hirai talking about piecharts for 15 minutes.
Nintendo: It's been a while since I've watched a Nintendo press conference seriously (no interest in their hardware or games at this point), so it's kinda hard for me to say. I think I watched last year or the year before (Wii U announcement was last year, right?) Either way, Reggie is fine, and so is Iwata. They still have that 'out of touch' feel every once in a while, but it seems like nothing compared to the last couple years of Microsoft.
EA: Goddamnit EA. No, I do not give a single shit if the celebrity you hired likes whatever game you're trying to sell me on. Stop doing that. This conference is embarrassing every year, and I'm not even some dude that hates sports. I just hate how goddamn hard EA tries with all of the hollow celebrity endorsements. Kyrie Irving, Aaron Paul, Drake, Dana White (hell, I might even be forgetting someone). Nobody cares EA, just show us your goddamn games. I mean, I can kinda understand why they do it, but how big is the crowd of people who are Drake superfans who also love Soccer and have a video game console but don't know about FIFA but would buy it because Drake told them to, really?
Ubisoft: This one is a fucking trainwreck every year. Ubisoft's insistence on hiring a comedian every year to do their show is kinda still baffling, considering how cringeworthy their performances always are. Like, do they not pay attention to the reactions at all? They'd maybe even be better off having Yves talk for 40 minutes than what they're doing now.
Konami: I honestly can't remember if I've ever even watched a Konami press conference since they started doing it the night before E3, but from what I've heard, they're Japanese-crazy in a way that I could probably get behind.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HerbieBug

I don't care for any of the press conference presentations put on at E3 and other times of the year. I don't want to be entertained, just tell me the facts and show your trailers, then get the hell off the stage. Most of these pressers are over an hour or two long with maybe a real 30 minutes worth of actual content information.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Animasta

@tourgen said:

Ubisoft, not even being funny. I like their style. Feels less corporate and like they don't even give a shit they are so goofy.

this is about my view so yep

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony have the most and biggest screens.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jimbo

Shit that needs to stop:

- Giving sportsmen a microphone

- Expecting sportsmen to be able to read a script or give any fucks about games

- Scripted, agonising banter between hosts

- Fake ass in-game chat (I've got Deltas at 12:15 over 20! Cover my Charlie!)

- Anything with children

- Random songs for no fucking reason

- Montages that go on for like a billonty hours

- Making us watch somebody struggle with english for more than 0 seconds

- Movie Directors

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony's thing where they had a bunch of smaller screens to play multiple games at the same time was great. I also loved the way they were implementing sort-of additional information outside the main screen when a demo was being played, like with Destiny.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By moonwalksa

Normally I'd say Nintendo, given Sony's infamy for botching press conferences in previous years, but modern Sony definitely takes it. They were funny, confident, and they talked to the audience like they were humans. That's pretty much the best you can hope for at events like this.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony, hands down. Jack Tretton choked some fools up there, all with a smile and without even breakin' a sweat.

Also, I actually thought Aisha Tyler did pretty well; it was her material that lacked, and was kind of just awful. Her presentation and hosting skills are pretty top notch though.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RedRoach

I really appreciate the past few years when Jack Tretton just comes out and gives some real talk. He doesn't bullshit, I feel like I could trust him.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PillClinton

@jimbo said:

Shit that needs to stop:

- Giving sportsmen a microphone

- Expecting sportsmen to be able to read a script or give any fucks about games

- Scripted, agonising banter between hosts

- Fake ass in-game chat (I've got Deltas at 12:15 over 20! Cover my Charlie!)

- Anything with children

- Random songs for no fucking reason

- Montages that go on for like a billonty hours

- Making us watch somebody struggle with english for more than 0 seconds

- Movie Directors

I always wonder why they keep this shit up. Everyone thinks it's terrible, yet they keep doing it year after year. Is it similar to the whole drug war situation I wonder? I.e. No one likes it; everyone thinks it should stop, but there are too many people with jobs that depend on it, and too much money to be made for it to end. Like, maybe all these companies just have huge, bloated presentation planning divisions, which employ a whole bunch of people whose sole purpose it is to just pump out these awful presentations.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Sooty

Microsoft were just awful this year

Terrible presenting, terrible policies, hilarious price.

Sony were a bit lame with their "best place to game" stuff, but well from the console standpoint they are probably right, otherwise they were very genuine sounding and I thought it was pretty funny how smug Jack Tretton looked when he announced the used game stuff, you could tell he was just thinking "lol Microsoft".