#1 Posted by kishinfoulux (2255 posts) -
#2 Posted by Snail (8580 posts) -

What is with this year?

Ray Manzarek, Storm Thorgerson, Roger Ebert, Ryan Davis, and now this impactful gentleman. Ravi Shankar too passed away not a year ago. Just... It seems I'm reading about people that hold significance to me dying more often than ever.

#3 Posted by Morningstar (2141 posts) -

Rest in peace. God speed.

#4 Posted by poisonmonkey (326 posts) -

Sad day for all in the industry or fans of it. R.I.P sir.

#5 Posted by FunkyS (100 posts) -

Sad news, RIP.

#6 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

This is the most important video game person to have passed away thus far. Very momentous and saddening.

#7 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5229 posts) -

RIP good sir.

#8 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1173 posts) -

A true legend of this industry. Rest in peace.

#9 Edited by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

Yamauchi's influence on Nintendo, and on the gaming community as a whole is crazy. The dude was the driving force in nintendo for so many years. Right through from their arcade games to the Gamecube, he was the man behind it all.

I read the book "Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America" which goes into detail about the history of nintendo, and it's all incredibly interesting. Yamauchi had such a key role at that company for so long.

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (9586 posts) -

RIP in peace!

#11 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

Thank you for the childhood memories Mr. Yamauchi.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

Rest in peace, Yamauchi-san.

#13 Posted by MocBucket62 (1151 posts) -

Bummer, RIP sir.

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7050 posts) -

A true beacon of the industry and a true humanitarian.

@hailinel said:

Rest in peace, Yamauchi-san.

#15 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

RIP. Thanks for the N64.

I wonder if Nintendo will change gears and go back to competing in performance hardware. Yamauchi never made a weak console. The Wii U's failure might be a blessing in disguise if they reboot shortly. A ray-tracing capable Nintendo console available in 2 years would really throw a wrench in MS's and Sony's plans of a 8 year or more cycle. X1 and PS4 both missed that boat, but 2 years from now it could very well be possible at a decent price.

I know I couldn't see myself passing up on that tech for 6 years if they were to bring it out first.

#16 Edited by gabbadeus (24 posts) -

Requsicat in Pace Yamauchi-san.