Forum etiquette: necro post vs. new thread

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll Forum etiquette: necro post vs. new thread (108 votes)

Necro 44%
New 56%

I'm not the first to raise this question, but what is up with the necro posts lately? At what point is it better to just let a thread die and create a new thread instead?

• 
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I'm pretty sure most of them are just bots necro bumping old threads for no reason. I can't understand why anyone would make a bot to do that, but all the posts are by brand new users.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If the forum exists, it's best to necro. Unless the thread is dependent on time. Like "what do you for a living?" That may change time to time. However a thread like "What's your gender?" Should be necro, since, you know, gender don't change often.

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By stalefishies

Necro. The only problem with necromancy is when you dig out an old thread without contributing anything to it; if you're adding something new of value to the thread it's totally fine. And if you're not adding anything of value, it's irrelevant whether it's a necro or a new topic, you probably shouldn't bother posting it anyway.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll never understand the big deal about either one. If they're useless they're onto the second page in no time. Pretty sure there's bigger things to concern ourselves with in life.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

The only problem with necroing is when you try to draw someone into an argument over something they said like two years ago. It's never happened to me, but chances are I wouldn't have the wherewithal to defend a point I made in ancient history, and I've definitely seen people trying to do this.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

If it's a few months old then necro instead of making a new one. If it's over a year old then make a new one.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@sexytoad said:

However a thread like "What's your gender?" Should be necro, since, you know, gender don't change often.

If I was @ravenlight, I'd post that "SEXISM!" picture right here.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The recent necroing I'd imagine is people finding a thread through Google and wanting to voice their thoughts so they make an account, post and never return. As for necro or new thread, depends on the thread and what you have to say.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@chibithor said:

The recent necroing I'd imagine is people finding a thread through Google and wanting to voice their thoughts so they make an account, post and never return. As for necro or new thread, depends on the thread and what you have to say.

@chavtheworld: I don't think bots post in threads on Giant Bomb. I have only seen them make new threads, with the thread title advertising whatever they're selling. As chibithor says, it's probably some jerks somehow getting to the old thread from Google, then signing up for an account just to make some inane post in a discussion that petered out months or years ago.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By tread311

I think there is a greater chance of this kind of thing on a gaming forum because people might go back and play a game nobody is talking about currently and want to add their thoughts. I've resurrected a thread or two for this reason and wondered myself whether it would be better to make a new post or not.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If its a pretty funny necro then i tend to say well done to whoever popped up the topic again. On a more technical note How much space does a thread take? At what point if any does a thread start to take up space (stupid i know but say a wallpaper thread from ages ago may be better to necro rather than creating a new thread where around 50 new 720p+ pictures will be posted to the site). Also some topics if removed may just be a loop of the same conversation a couple months - a year later

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TyCobb

I wish threads would auto lock after a year of no active posts.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's okay to necro a thread, so long as you aren't quoting or @replying someone for a super old post, say, greater than six months back.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb said:

I wish threads would auto lock after a year of no active posts.

I agree. I think some sites do that way too quickly (GameFAQs would lock inactive threads within a few weeks), but very few threads maintain relevance after a year, aside from like ongoing photoshop threads, which have enough intermittent activity each year that they wouldn't be locked.

Thoughts, @rorie? You strike me as the person to ask about this. That, or one of the mods.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Jimbo

It should depend on the continued relevance (or lack of) of the thread in question, which just requires a bit of common sense.

"Which graphics card should I buy?" = New thread.

"Your favourite game from 1996????" = Necro.

Using a fixed time limit is arbitrary and dumb.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TyCobb

@jimbo said:

It should depend on the continued relevance (or lack of) of the thread in question, which just requires a bit of common sense.

Not necessarily. I do agree it should be based on common sense, but people are dumb and common sense eludes most nowadays.

My suggestion for auto locking is to just stop people from necroing old threads for no reason. It is usually spam, someone wanting to start a quote a fight a year later for no reason, and my all time favorite -- bumping 3 year old threads to answer the question of "Should I buy a couch or a desk".

More often than not the mods are locking the threads up anyway, so why not try to remedy some of that? You can't fix stupid, but you can try to stop some of it.

Quick Edit: When I am saying auto lock threads, I am referring to General Discussion and Off Topic specifically. I wouldn't want it for game specific boards or articles posted to the forums.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@chibithor said:

@chavtheworld: I don't think bots post in threads on Giant Bomb. I have only seen them make new threads, with the thread title advertising whatever they're selling. As chibithor says, it's probably some jerks somehow getting to the old thread from Google, then signing up for an account just to make some inane post in a discussion that petered out months or years ago.

Bots do occasionally post in random threads. They never have anything to do with the subject of the thread and the post is always made up of random words.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

It was something that happened in seaserpent as a joke and somepeople seem to have forgotten the forum isn't in beta anymore.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@bisonhero: I can add this to my GB wishlist. Not a big priority for the team at the moment, but a nice idea.

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rolanthas

doesn't matter, people get pissed for both of those for some reason.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThunderSlash

I prefer if a new thread is made. That way people won't need to read through year old stuff without realizing it before reaching your brand new post. Then of course there is the side effect of people replying to old posts, with some people just simply replying to the OP.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Ideally keeping a subject all in one thread makes some sense in terms of navigation.

Still there's an art to adding value to a necro'ed thread properly. Unfortunately it seems to be a skill few possess. So perhaps the costs may outweigh the benefits on the average.

@rorie: @tycobb has an interesting idea on how to handle it , I agree with @jimbo that this isn't probably best fixed with a one sized fits all solution since there are legitimate uses for old threads but from a programming side I'm not sure how you would do it his way.

@tycobb said:

@jimbo said:

Quick Edit: When I am saying auto lock threads, I am referring to General Discussion and Off Topic specifically. I wouldn't want it for game specific boards or articles posted to the forums.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Bollard

@bisonhero said:

@chibithor said:

Bots do occasionally post in random threads. They never have anything to do with the subject of the thread and the post is always made up of random words.

Both of you are right and wrong. Bots do post in threads, and sometimes they are relevant, but what they actually post is inane garbage. Like one picked up on some religious word in a random old thread and proceeded to go on some propaganda-like rant about some religion in some foreign country. But a lot of them also make these half-english sentences only a computer could spit out by choosing random verbs and nouns and connectives.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda like necro threads, they're like time capsules and we're future space men exploring them. We wouldn't of got some great threads to go back to like these -

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EXTomar

I believe necroing threads should be discouraged but not a "bannable offense". I would rather see a new thread topic started with a link to the old thread for reference to continue the discussion "with a clean slate".

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By Dagbiker

Necroing a thread is fine if you are adding information, asking a question ( but asking a question in a year old post, that has 100 pages is probably is not the best place to do so), Adding to an "established post" such as the creepy post your self thread that quickly became about chatting up girls. Or the Redheaded Girls thread that quickly became about Doctor Who.

What is not very cool is bumping a post and not adding to it, or trolling a post and not adding to it. If you are going to be snarky, at least put some information with that snark. Also replying to a user in a thread a week after the post, and trying to start an argument is not very cool.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think some highly visible banner style warning when a topic pasts a certain age of inactivity and also makes the dates of a post more visible in that thread might actually be enough to curb the majority of perpetuated useless necros.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ajamafalous

@jimbo said:

Basically, this and what a few other people suggested. Necroing threads is 100% fine if it serves a purpose, and I'm heavily against threads auto-locking. Creating a thread for a thing that already exists is way worse, in my opinion.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EXTomar

@dagbiker said:

Necroing a thread is fine if you are adding information, asking a question ( but asking a question in a year old post, that has 100 pages is probably is not the best place to do so), Adding to an "established post" such as the creepy post your self thread that quickly became about chatting up girls. Or the Redheaded Girls thread that quickly became about Doctor Who.

What is not very cool is bumping a post and not adding to it, or trolling a post and not adding to it. If you are going to be snarky, at least put some information with that snark. Also replying to a user in a thread a week after the post, and trying to start an argument is not very cool.

I suppose that is what is the important thing. If one is bringing back up a 2 year old thread because they got something meaningful to say then that is okay. If one wants to bring back up a 2 year old thread because they want to insert a "LOL good one" then that is not so okay.

Then again, I frown upon "I like cake. Discuss!" threads so many threads all over the place disappoint me.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Clonedzero

New, by far. If the thread is over a month old that the original posters in that thread probably don't care anymore. Lots of new posters aren't going to post in a huge thread with really old time stamps.

Hell they should add in an auto-lock that locks threads that don't have any new posts for a month.

There's nothing wrong with trying to discuss something that may have been already discussed months or even years ago. It's crazy to necro a thread because that's never going to take off for good discussion again. Just because its been discussed before doesn't mean it can't be worth talking about it again. Hell probably with entirely new people.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hunkulese

Threads should be deleted after 30 days of inactivity

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By ProfessorEss

I say do whatever you feel like doing at that moment.

Personally I've never really cared about necros or repeats - it's just always been part of the "forums" experience.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ravenlight

@sexytoad said:

However a thread like "What's your gender?" Should be necro, since, you know, gender don't change often.

If I was @ravenlight, I'd post that "SEXISM!" picture right here.

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

NECRO-POST! *rah chukka chukka chukka*

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill all the necromancers!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King

What good would that do? They'd just bring themselves back to life later.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By icicle7x3

@icicle7x3 said:

Launch all the necromancers into the sun!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king said:

@icicle7x3 said:

Zombie sun?

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By geirr

@video_game_king said:

@icicle7x3 said:

Oh so that's what Black Hole Sun was about.

As for "necro" vs "new", I don't care since I usually don't have a stick up my ass. Usually.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By icicle7x3

@icicle7x3 said:

@video_game_king said:

@icicle7x3 said:

Zombie sun?

I think we're safe, that just means it eats other suns now.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the thread. Unless they're getting to be years old, I'd rather see threads necro'd than recreated every couple of months. The only thing that bugs me about all of the unnecessary necro threads that have been happening lately is that I'm constantly having to check when the thread was created to avoid replying to a post from a year or two ago.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Cannot answer poll because it's too much of an "it depends" case. Also, I have no idea what the answer is. There's been times where I've wanted to post something but the latest thread was years old and I stalled and didn't end up doing anything. I guess it more depends on moderation staff and what constitutes a repost. Also, is it a lesser-followed game with only a few forum threads to begin with?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#44 MattyFTM  Moderator

If the thread is still relevant and you have something to add to it, there is no need for a new thread, you can just bring up the old one.

If the age of the thread makes it somewhat less relevant, a new thread is acceptable.

It's pretty much just common sense.