• 54 results
#2 Posted by wwfundertaker (1390 posts) -

I think Dave is going to implementing a new feature for the forums but it was not ready for launch.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (7633 posts) -

Yes. We have been very bad.

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2042 posts) -

I'd much rather have forum activity on the front page than the stupid twitter bullshit.

#5 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4664 posts) -

We've been kicked out from the throne room, man! But if @wwfundertaker is right, then fine, I can live without it for a while.

#6 Edited by MistaSparkle (2146 posts) -

Twitter stuff is nice, but I would rather get that stuff on my phone. Doesn't really need to be on the site, IMO. Coming soon notifications though, now THAT was useful.

#7 Posted by RazielCuts (2711 posts) -

I do think we need the staff twitter feed on the frontpage as they use it so much to post stuff going up on the site (which I don't entirely agree with) like 'going live' or 'podcast is going to be late' which I think is useful information. It's why we have the waiting rooms because no one knows what the eff is going on, so hopefully this'll help with that.

On the flip side, yeah we do need the forums on the front page, but I can see where they're coming from if not. I mean if you're a new user to the site and see 'Whats your favourite Final Fantasy?' next to 'Why's the age of consent so low?' you may get the wrong message..

#8 Posted by wemibelec90 (1277 posts) -

Twitter stuff is nice, but I would rather get that stuff on my phone. Doesn't really need to be on the site, IMO. Coming soon notifications though, now THAT was useful.

Pretty sure the coming soon stuff is still in there (at least, I think I remember it being on the beta site). Odds are, the guys just haven't put anything into it yet since today was so busy?

#9 Edited by RazielCuts (2711 posts) -

This from the 'Known Issues' thread.

@ltsquigs said:

Dave has a thing he wants to do to replace the forum thing on the front page and make something even cooler, just don't have it ready for launch.

#10 Posted by MistaSparkle (2146 posts) -

@wemibelec90: I hope so! That stuff was an awesome addition to the old site.

#11 Posted by Sweep (8540 posts) -

So I just now noticed that the forums are no longer featured on the front page is this a sighn that we have been bad or what?

WHAT DID WE DO DAVE?! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US! WE ARE SORRY! WHATEVER IT IS WE DID, WE ARE SORRRYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

#12 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

"Why would you want to look at 10 forum threads, when you can look at all the forum threads" - Dave's brain.

#13 Posted by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -

Jeff answered a question about this on his Tumblr:

Why are the forums no longer on the front page? Do threads like "Have you shit your pants lately?" not attract users to the website?

They were down real low and didn’t seem to get used very often.

We have our own Twitter accounts linked on the front page, so clearly we are OK with pants-shitting content on the front page

#14 Posted by L44 (510 posts) -

The only reason this frustrates me is the fact that I'm too lazy to make an extra click.

#15 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

It'll be fine, I'm sure. Considering that they rebuilt the entire thing from scratch and made it all more pretty and functional, I'm willing to let it slide.

Besides, I am happy to sacrifice the forums on the front page for tab-space-ing my posts. It is a REVELATION,

#17 Edited by MooseyMcMan (9736 posts) -

This is definitely my least favorite aspect of the new site.

It'd be nice if there was an option to switch out the Twitter feed or the community content for forum stuff, but whatever. At least the site isn't crashing every other time like it was yesterday!

#18 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

I do wish the forums were back on the front page, it showed me what the recent topics people were discussing no matter what boards the topics were from.

#19 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -
@mattyftm said:

Why are the forums no longer on the front page? Do threads like "Have you shit your pants lately?" not attract users to the website?

We have our own Twitter accounts linked on the front page, so clearly we are OK with pants-shitting content on the front page

I think I helped in the last site's shenanigans. Actually, my poll had a misspelling of recently pooped your pants. Oh life and living on the internet. We will revel in the desire once again. Believe me.

#20 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -

I used it Jeff I used it.

#21 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -

@mattyftm: That justification is hilarious, considering practically everyone is asking what happened to the forum feed.

#22 Posted by MEATBALL (2783 posts) -

Most of my forum activity resulted from the forums being on the front page. I loved being able to load up the homepage to see what was going on.

#23 Posted by Paindamnation (758 posts) -

The only thing I ever saw on the front page for Forum Threads was. "Delete and combine requests" I could give two shits less about that.

#24 Posted by Marcsman (2873 posts) -

That's what you get for fucking with a ghetto bastard.

#25 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -

I only ever used the forums on the front page, and now I'm hearing they were never used? So most users were clicking on the forum button to visit the forums on the old site? I'm honestly surprised by that.

#26 Posted by Soap (3528 posts) -
@cale said:

I only ever used the forums on the front page, and now I'm hearing they were never used? So most users were clicking on the forum button to visit the forums on the old site? I'm honestly surprised by that.

I don't believe that for a second. I'm in the same boat as you.

#27 Posted by Anund (849 posts) -
@cale said:

This sounds unlikely. I really only ever used the front page forum view as well, unless I was looking for discussion about a specific game.

#28 Posted by Video_Game_King (34592 posts) -

For some reason, the title immediately summoned this to my mind.

#29 Posted by Bollard (5024 posts) -
@mattyftm said:

He really said that it didn't seem to get used very often? That is literally the only way I used the damn forums, as echoed by other people in this thread.

I was saying on Seaserpent that its removal was a travesty.

#30 Posted by ThunderSlash (1365 posts) -

I keep scrolling down on the home page due to muscle memory. :/

#31 Posted by Rowr (5236 posts) -

Is it really that hard to click the forums button.... you don't even need to scroll down.

#32 Posted by Sgtpierceface (588 posts) -

Yea I'm really hoping they come back to the front page. I liked having the option to look at any active threads, or go find a specific games forum.

#33 Edited by Wacomole (811 posts) -

I've ended up creating a new bookmark to go directly to the forum page rather than the homepage.

#34 Edited by Eaxis (866 posts) -

Need front page forums. That's how i've seen what's going on.

#35 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

I'd much rather have forum activity on the front page than the stupid twitter bullshit.

BUT DON'T YOU SEE WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE CREW IS THINKING IN 140 CHARACTERS OR LESS.

I agree with you by the way.

#36 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I didn't know so many of you guys used it, I just clicked the "forums" button to get here.

I do miss the coming soon section though.

#37 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -

I keep scrolling down aaaaaaaaaaah. I think I liked because it was a way for me to scroll down and see everything new/popular happening on the site and forums now its so separate.

#38 Edited by Jeff (3336 posts) -

The very bottom of the homepage is, like, way more ghetto than getting a proper, done-up forum homepage, by the way. Maybe once they clear out more of the bug queue we can revisit some of that stuff and see if there's a way to get it on there. I'm not morally opposed to having that forum chunk there or anything.

(But I'd much rather have something more devoted to the wiki in that space, if we're being choosey.)

Staff
#39 Edited by mrfluke (4835 posts) -

yea it is definitely demoralizing now posting stuff on the forums, especially hearing how people used that to see whats the latest on the forums by doing that.

#40 Posted by mrfluke (4835 posts) -

yea it is definitely demoralizing now posting stuff on the forums, especially hearing how people used that to see whats the latest on the forums by doing that.

#41 Posted by MonetaryDread (1950 posts) -

On the flip side, yeah we do need the forums on the front page, but I can see where they're coming from if not. I mean if you're a new user to the site and see 'Whats your favourite Final Fantasy?' next to 'Why's the age of consent so low?' you may get the wrong message..

Yeah I know... Fuck Final Fantasy, right?

#42 Posted by altairre (997 posts) -

I have to say that I really liked the recent threads showing up on the main page. I do enjoy reading the stupid bullshit they post on twitter but maybe there is a way to have both features displayed in the future.

Other than that they did a really good job. I'm always skeptical of redesigns and often end up liking the old style more but this is some fine work right here.

#43 Posted by Jeust (10334 posts) -
@anund said:

@cale

said:

This sounds unlikely. I really only ever used the front page forum view as well, unless I was looking for discussion about a specific game.

I agree. I almost only used the front page forums too. I'm sad they got rid of it.

#44 Posted by 49th (2541 posts) -

I always used the front page forums too. Now I'm unsure if I should be looking in General Discussion or Off-Topic - I'm so conflicted.

Probably never going to visit specific game forums ever again either.

#45 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5355 posts) -

Yeah, that thing at the bottom of the site was pretty much the only way I visited the forums. It was also super useful in getting way more people to view your blog/thread.

#46 Edited by RazielCuts (2711 posts) -

@razielcuts

said:

Yeah I know...Fuck Final Fantasy, right?

I was just using that as a generic game forum thread example, feel free to replace Final Fantasy with *generic game title here*. I happen to <3 Final Fantasy, although not so much anymore since exposure to the 'XIII' incident.

#47 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (2950 posts) -

The forums not being on the front page is pretty jarring. One more layer of separation between the people who run the site and the users, it feels like.

#48 Posted by Capum15 (4571 posts) -

@49th:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/

You just click on the "Forums" button itself at the top right of the site. Just figured that out today, since I always used that front page thing.

#49 Posted by SpaceRunaway (809 posts) -

I will also say that I rarely had any desire to visit the forums proper and that most of my reading/posting was done using the most recent posts section. I will keep a place for it in my heart until Dave's next better thing comes out.

#50 Posted by JasonR86 (9372 posts) -
@claude said:

@mattyftm

said:

I think I helped in the last site's shenanigans. Actually, my poll had a misspelling of recently pooped your pants. Oh life and living on the internet. We will revel in the desire once again. Believe me.

It was an important question that needed answering. It was a like a support group. A really shitty support group.