Avatar image for nukemtheduke935
NukemtheDuke935

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NukemtheDuke935

Now im a huge fan of old FPS games like quake, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem 3d, doom,shadow warrior, Blood and others, so i wanted to share my opinion on some things.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

WE NEED TO GO BACK TO ORIGINAL ROOTS OF FPS.... Too many Fps games now a days are too dull, boring and the same thing over and over again. point, click, shoot,point,click,shoot.

the ones released over 15 years ago were unique,fresh and intense. yes about 50% of the fps's now are good for example-Far Cry 3, Fear games, titanfall, and others..BUT not all of them were good...

Call of duty was "cool" for awhile, it was a new cinematic experience that put players in awe at the graphic quality and "in your face action". but CoD is getting to much credit for fps genre.

Now im not saying " KEEP REMAKING OLD SCHOOL GAMES!" no not at all, but i would absolutely love to see the Doom remake witch is my favorite game of all time. anyway im just making a suggestion to these rules that i think should be in FPS games

1. NO REGEN HEALTH-Regenerative health is cool for armor purposes only, like in the halo games and such, but we don't REALLY need that. it just makes the game character look like a pussy.

2.Good Physics- Far cry was phenomenal with its physics, it was beautiful, and it really felt like i was in the game killing pirates with my bow and machete. realism is always a cool factor.

3.Not too limited of holding weapons- In CoD you only held 2 weapons at once, witch is bullshit, remember in Duke 3D or Quake 3 arena when you can hold a crap load of weapons and ammo? yeah we need that back. we need certain weapons at certain times.

4. Brutality-Whats an fps without a little blood and gore? The brutal Doom mod by Sergeant Mark 4 was awesome, and im pretty sure every time a look at the back of the case of a good fps, it always has the rated M for mature and as always it has "Blood and Gore" written right under it.

5. Story line- i like a sense of reason and principle when i play, not just cuz killing bad guys is fun but id like to feel important like im shooting an alien for a good cause or a bad one.

6. Fluid Melee combat- when im in a jam and im out of ammo, id like to turn to a melee weapon. like you guys do, a GOOD melee weapon. The Shadow Warrior remake of 2013 did a good job of that, half the time I didn't even use a gun because I was having to much fun slicing demons with my Katana.

7. Something to do.- Players (and myself) love doing something in between combat,such as crafting, puzzle solving, finding quest items, searching for supplies( Weapons,ammo,health,armor) in call of duty or battle field, you mainly just go from point A to point B while killing things in fancy matter. but that was it, besides witnessing cut scenes and crawling on the floor because its the 8th time your bleeding out so you have to crawl to get a pistol and shoot the fairly simple "Boss" in the head. my point is I like something to do besides shooting shit.

8.Decent multiplayer- now I know a lot of people play multiplayer fps only, and im not dissing them, but Multiplayer is getting kinda boring, interacting with players and a balanced world of decent players, like in most fps's noobs and veterans are always the victim here. Class based fps games are a good too such as Team fortress 2 and Enemy territory.

9. Boss battles- Last but not least, boss battles. I miss trying to find strategies on how to kill bosses, sure it took time but I loved it. And i mean BIG bosses with BIG possibilities on how to defeat them.

No Caption Provided

Tell me what you guys think ;)

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hayt

Sounds like you'd really like the Wolfenstein the New Order. I know I did.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Giantstalker

Welcome to Giant Bomb.

I used to think pretty similarly to you in the mid-2000s, but by the time Battlefield 2 came out I firmly decided I could never go back. Though I do agree about the gore, Soldier of Fortune set a standard which imho more should try and match.

There might be a market for some kind of "second wave" Doomclones or whatever, but it definitely isn't for me. Years from now it'll be all the Call of Duty and Battlefield players whining - me included - about how FPS games have changed for the worse in some way or another.

That being said it sounds like you might enjoy the new Wolfenstein, or possibly Painkiller (which was recently remade).

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By syz

Low weapon counts are a byproduct of consoles being the dominant market.

Much the same, it's why there is no longer Quake/Tribes/UT style dynamic movement, and nothing but machine guns to replace twitch reflex weapons. There's only so much you can do with dual analog.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Corevi

Puzzle solving in non puzzle games is the worst, that is all.

The other points are all handled by the new Wolfenstein.

BeardyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of your reasons are complete asinine, as they weren't even in the "ORIGINAL FPS GAMES" you want to go back to. You're tired of the old "point, click, shoot" routine of FPS games, but that's what FPS games were ALWAYS about. What do you think you did in Doom or Wolfenstein 3D? Also on the note of your listing of games, you wrote that Titanfall was one of the good FPS games out there right now, which is completely hypocritical considering this entire list is about you criticizing that exact type of game.

1- What does regenerating health have anything to do with the game character being a pussy?

2- Good physics? You do know that physics has gotten better over the years right? Also what does physics have to do with killing people with a bow in Far Cry and realism?

4- Your usage of the Brutal Doom mod in your reasoning for wanting blood and gore is a joke, considering that's not what was included in the original game.

5- Story line? FPS games usually only had 2-3 paragraphs of backstory/epilogue text and that was your story until around the time Half-Life came out in the late 90s.

6- There was no fluid melee combat. It was just running up to something and holding left mouse button until it died.

7- Fetch quests was one of the reasons why Doom and many other id engine games got tedious, because it just consisted of running around in circles until you found the red/blue/yellow card.

8- Literally have no idea what you're even saying here.

9- What strategies? I don't know what kind of old FPS games you played, but the strategy consisted 100% of "shoot, hide behind corner, shoot, hide behind corner" until the boss was dead.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VierasTalo

Yeah, whereas I could agree with some of your points, they make no sense in the context of bringing back old-school shooters. Like @beardyduck points out, plenty of old FPS-games had nothing like what you've described here.

And seriously, if you want variety in FPS-games the very last thing you want to do is go back to the days of Doom where the game was about tapping the use-key as much as possible while hugging walls or avoiding enemy projectiles and then shooting them in the face.

NukemtheDuke935

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfenstein new order was amazing!!!

What im saying is that some fps games are just the same thing over and over again, its all about the nostalgia to me. there should be no reason to have a CoD game every year to see the same damn results. And yeah you are right about titanfall, ive been wrong before, i shouldnt of listed it. But about strategies i mean on harder difficulties you couldnt just walk into a boss fight for the first time without at least dying once, and thinking of new ways to defeat the boss, thats all.

And storyline, i meant FPS as a whole, not just 90s games, i just perfer 90s gameplay because of my taste in games, but i do like a good storyline.

But I absolutely hate regen health, "Oh im just gonna hide behind this fucking tree so i can magically heal myself." no i hate that shit. like partial regen health is cool, like in Wolfenstein new order or Far cry 3, because it still gives you a chance to heal your self just not fully to where you find a way to fully heal yourself.

NukemtheDuke935

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And also i wasnt demanding anything, i was just voicing my opinion

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I think there's a lot of variety in FPSes these days. Arma, Battlefield, CoD, the recent releases of old franchises like Shadow Warrior and Wolfenstein for more classic layouts. Titanfall for something more mobile, Planetside if you want some kind of an MMO, those terrible looking FPS-roguelikes like Tower of Guns. It's hard to imagine that there's nothing to suit your tastes in that particular genre.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#11  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Huh, while I agree that the 90's style of FPS games are more fun, I generally don't agree with your points, other than the "limited weapons" and "something to do" parts. Maybe the decent multiplayer thing too, but the issue with multiplayer in modern games is pretty much caused by the former two points - since the maps are no longer designed for exploration, and that you are limited to two weapons which you pick before spawn rather than scavenge on the level.

I don't think gore really does a lot for the games. Rise of the Triad and Doom certainly were excellent games with lots of gore, but then stuff like System Shock used it more sparingly to great effect, and Descent only rarely had any blood at all. What really made Doom, Descent and System Shock amazing (and I guess Duke Nukem 3D etc., though I personally was never quite as fond of the build engine games) was how enemy placement and behavior could become puzzles in themselves, forcing you to select the best tool in your arsenal for the situations you come up against, instead of the linear point A to point B, and now here's sniper rifle replacing your assault rifle for the sniper section etc., like we've gotten in most FPSes for the past 10-15 years.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

If you can't find a first person shooter to suit your needs you may want to branch out into other genres. There's tons of good games out there; first person shooter or otherwise. You just need to find more stuff to enjoy if one genre isn't doing it for ya.