#1 Edited by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

Hello, I am having FPS issues that I have never seen before. I'll give examples with two games. I can't get any higher than 11 FPS in Trine no matter what I do. And with Portal, the FPS goes all over the place. It'll go from 100 to 10 in a fraction of a second. The FPS display goes absolutely nuts. Can anyone help me with this? These are my specs, which I know is above the recommended specs.

Processor: 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4GB 1067MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB

#2 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Buy a new computer, those specs are barely enough to play WoW even if you were running windows.

#3 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

Have you seen the system specs for Portal? It's actually less than that...

#4 Posted by DarkGamerOO7 (574 posts) -

@Example1013 said:

Buy a new computer, those specs are barely enough to play WoW even if you were running windows.

Not to nitpick here, but you cannot be serious. Those specs could demolish World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft can run off of a Pentinum 4 processor, 1 GB of RAM and GeForce FX graphics card. His system should be able to run Trine and Portal just fine, hell I can max portal with 2GB of RAM and Geforce 7900GS. You hardware is not the problem, it is likely a software or driver issue.

#5 Posted by Tomkang (251 posts) -

@Example1013: I concur, I played WoW fine on the mac

#6 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

Any suggestions? I tried running onyx to speed up my computer, but it seemed to mess up game performance.

#7 Edited by Humanity (9055 posts) -

@Xanth93: It might not sound very useful I'd just Copy Paste this entire thread into TESTED's forums as theres plenty of more tech savvy people on that side. I think on GB we all love games but theres a lot less people that know what makes those games go.

#8 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Xanth93: It might not sound very useful I'd just Copy Paste this entire thread into TESTED's forums as theres plenty of more tech savvy people on that side. I think on GB we all love games but theres a lot less people that know what makes those games go.

This. We've got a lot of Duder's in here, but not a lot of us are really as crazy-good tech-savvy as you'll find on tested.

#9 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

Completely forgot about that. Great idea. I'll put this up on Tested as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

#10 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@Xanth93 said:

Hello, I am having FPS issues that I have never seen before. I'll give examples with two games. I can't get any higher than 11 FPS in Trine no matter what I do. And with Portal, the FPS goes all over the place. It'll go from 100 to 10 in a fraction of a second. The FPS display goes absolutely nuts. Can anyone help me with this? These are my specs, which I know is above the recommended specs.

Processor: 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4GB 1067MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB

That's your issue. You are using a 10 year old computer on new games. Your specs are terrible... that and it's a mac.

#11 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

Macs are good computers. Don't knock. Also, my computer is about three years old. Trine came out the same year and was meant for less advanced computers. And Portal is five years old. Know your facts.

#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6236 posts) -

@Xanth93 said:

Macs are good computers. Don't knock. Also, my computer is about three years old. Trine came out the same year and was meant for less advanced computers. And Portal is five years old. Know your facts.

Dude, know your facts, those components are a lot older than 3 years old, regardless of when you bought it.

Regardless of your bad laptop, you have a few options, reinstall your OS, dust the shit out of your fans and the inside of it, or buy a new setup.

#13 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

My laptop is not bad... I know my facts. You don't need a quad core processor to have a good computer. I think for 2009, my specs are pretty good. Anyway, I will try those suggestions. But my computer is just fine. I am well aware that I can't play Skyrim on it, but Portal shouldn't fritz between 100 FPS and 10 FPS so fast.

#14 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@Xanth93 said:

I meant the technology in your computer is ten years old. I could have bought a 486 with a Voodoo graphics card in it last year and made the same point you just did.

#15 Posted by Humanity (9055 posts) -

@AlexW00d: Those components would run Portal 1 just fine. When that game came 3 ghz processors and 4 gigs of ram were not the standard they are now and the 9600 GT would be an above average card. I don't know what facts you're talking about but I had a similar system that ran Deus Ex human Revolution on high with a few options turned down with a solid framerate.

#16 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

I don't believe that. You look at the game specs ten years ago, they are far lower than mine. Morrowind requires 256MB RAM and a 32MB graphics card. Also, a 500MHz processor. My specs could blow that out easily. It's not outdated hardware.

#17 Posted by AlexW00d (6236 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@AlexW00d: Those components would run Portal 1 just fine. When that game came 3 ghz processors and 4 gigs of ram were not the standard they are now and the 9600 GT would be an above average card. I don't know what facts you're talking about but I had a similar system that ran Deus Ex human Revolution on high with a few options turned down with a solid framerate.

This is the laptop version of the card though. Big difference.

#18 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Your specs are fine. It's at least enough to last for this generation of games. Games today aren't going to use the full power of high-end PC's until the next consoles come through. What specific issues you have with Trine or Portal could be caused by anything. Direct X issue? Update drivers? Turn down/off anti-aliasing? I suggest you go to Trine/Steam support forums and and look through their threads relating to your problems. Tested's not going to help you out much more than we can.

#19 Posted by Humanity (9055 posts) -

@AlexW00d: According to this site (http://pcgamingcorner.com/?p=206) it gets decent FPS on fairly graphic intensive shooters - so it's most likely software issues that are clogging things up for him. Probably running a Mac OS isn't helping either.

#20 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

Your specs are fine. It's at least enough to last for this generation of games. Games today aren't going to use the full power of high-end PC's until the next consoles come through. What specific issues you have with Trine or Portal could be caused by anything. Direct X issue? Update drivers? Turn down/off anti-aliasing? I suggest you go to Trine/Steam support forums and and look through their threads relating to your problems. Tested's not going to help you out much more than we can.

Wait... wut? I don't think you are doing it right if that's your opinion.

#21 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

I run PC games on Windows via boot camp. If it can run on Mac OS, though, I will. You think either of those games will run faster on Windows? I wonder why... Well thanks for the help. I will check the tech forums on the developer's sites. Hopefully I will find something.

#22 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@deathstriker666 said:

No, I think you think that I don't think I'm doing it right is your opinion. What I say are my beliefs

#23 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@deathstriker666 said:

No, I think you think that I don't think I'm doing it right is your opinion. What I say is my beliefs

What ever you say Fox News.