• 75 results
#1 Posted by Carryboy (640 posts) -

Can anyone think of any franchises that died (or seem to have died) last gen.

Criteria im looking at is as follows:

-Must have had a game come out last gen and the generation before

-Does not have to be confirmed dead but looks that way.

For example two that sprung to my mind are red faction and Mercenaries. Red Faction could conceivably come back but Mercenaries seems almost certainly done which is nuts when you think back to how much people loved the first one and the hype going in to the second.

#2 Posted by Kedi2 (246 posts) -

I'd say Crash Bandicoot, but that might have some chance at coming back at some point.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

In a sense, Spyro. Does the franchise have a future outside of Skylanders?

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -
#5 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Bayonetta *gasp*

#6 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -
#8 Posted by Nightriff (4979 posts) -

Gears of War and God of War, I don't think a lot of people want game 5 in these franchises.

#9 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -
#10 Posted by Nezza (346 posts) -

Perfect Dark.

#11 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -

@nezza: Perfect Dark does not count because it was only on N64 and Xbox 360. It has to be on last gen and the gen before it.

#12 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Resistance: Fall of Man

#13 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -

Now I just thought of Burnout and got really sad.

#14 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -
#15 Edited by mosespippy (4106 posts) -

For the time being at least, Medal of Honor.

Probably Driver as well. The 2K Baseball games are done as well. SSX probably died too.

#16 Posted by HistoryInRust (6289 posts) -

Wouldn't say Resident Evil died, but it certainly bottomed out. A concrete certainty there'll be another one soon.

I feel like I'm inches away from making a "Resident-Evil-died-last-gen-but-will-reanimate-hurr-durr" joke.

#17 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Haze

#18 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -
#19 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Binary Domain

#20 Posted by Korwin (2837 posts) -

Tony Hawk, I mean technically they are working on a new one but that game is dead to everyone at this point.

#21 Posted by falserelic (5398 posts) -

Yeah, Socom didn't have a pleasant death. Till this day the Socom Fans where some of the most angriest gamers I've seen. Alot of rage of the Socom forums cussing out the devs, shit was hilarious. SUKMYTUBAN was one of the Socom fans that really pissed off the devs.

He made vids expressing his dissatisfaction about the newer Socom games for a few years, it all started when he got banned from a Socom website. Anyway he's apart of making the spiritual successor of Socom called H-Hour.

The Developer that made the original Socom games is making H-Hour, and invited SUKMYTURBAN to be part of the production of it.

#22 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (304 posts) -

@falserelic: Zipper did get one of the biggest screw jobs ever. Remember that their game released during the PSN outage? The multiplayer was unplayable for more than a month after that games release.

#23 Edited by jaycrockett (441 posts) -

If you consider X-men legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance part of the same franchise (same developer), looks like that franchise is dead.

Also SSX is most surely dead. Very sad.

#24 Posted by mercutio123 (469 posts) -

Midnight Club? Haven't heard from that in a while. And though it pains me to say it..... Burnout :(

#25 Posted by ZolRoyce (651 posts) -

Half-life, hurhurhur.

Silent Hill maybe? My own personal feelings for any of them aside, none of the new Silent Hills were regarded that well by fans or critics/reviewers in general, and HD version shit the bed until it had no shit left in it so it shit out all of its blood and then died by drowning in a pool of shit blood. So I don't see another one of those coming unless they bet on a somewhat safe horse and just do a remake/remaster of 1 that sticks to the original.

Hitman, I enjoyed parts of the last one but I was pretty mellow with it as was just about everyone it seemed, I'd like a new one that sticks closer to what made the games fun in the first place but it didn't seem like it did well enough to garner another one, at least not yet.

And Brothers in Arms, I love the Brothers in Arms series, I seem to be the only person alive who loves the Brothers in Arms series, also the last one was just managing to scoot in towards the end of the WW2 FPS genre that would not die for years so I don't know how many people would care for another WW2 shooter.

#26 Edited by chrissedoff (2079 posts) -

Prince of Persia RIP

#27 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

Guitar Hero

#28 Edited by falserelic (5398 posts) -

@iigrayfoxii said:

@falserelic: Zipper did get one of the biggest screw jobs ever. Remember that their game released during the PSN outage? The multiplayer was unplayable for more than a month after that games release.

That outage did set them back, but the game was already doom. Personally I actually enjoyed Socom 4 multiplayer. I did play the original Socom Games, but I never had the chance to play those games online. The only thing I can do is compare Socom 4 campaign to the originals. The older Socom games beats Socom 4 campaign by along shot.

Anyway Socom 4 was probably my most played online game I played on ps3 last gen, and my second will be Battlefield:Bad Company 2. I do look forward to playing H-Hour, but that won't come out until next year.

#29 Edited by jkz (4008 posts) -

@zolroyce said:

And Brothers in Arms, I love the Brothers in Arms series, I seem to be the only person alive who loves the Brothers in Arms series, also the last one was just managing to scoot in towards the end of the WW2 FPS genre that would not die for years so I don't know how many people would care for another WW2 shooter.

Oh trust me you're not alone. Road to Hill 30 is still one the most fun first-playthroughs I've had in a game ever. Bound in Blood felt like it was treading some water but I even loved Hell's Highway. The squad mechanics in those games are so tight and so free of extraneous touches that it was hard not to fall in love with them.

Also poor, poor Prince of Persia. The Sands of Time trilogy was SO damn good (even Warrior Within I don't give a damn).

#30 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Silent hill Might not be dead, but definitely needs a reboot!

#31 Edited by LackingSaint (1783 posts) -

Jak & Daxter probably fits. There was that terrible PSP game, but after Naughty Dog abandoned the series it became pretty clear all the love had been sapped out of it.

#32 Posted by Vessel28 (97 posts) -

I'm hoping Advance Wars isn't a dead franchise because I'm wondering if low sales will stop Nintendo from ever making another one. I'm hoping the series will get its 3DS game but I have my doubts. Days of Ruin is going to be released on the Japan E-Shop so hopefully I'm wrong.

#33 Posted by falserelic (5398 posts) -

Silent hill Might not be dead, but definitely needs a reboot!

It does, Downpour had good ideas, but the game Overall could have been better executed. As for Shattered Memories and Book of Memories I didn't like those games at all.

#34 Edited by Hippie_Genocide (567 posts) -

I did play the original Socom Games, but I never had the chance to play those games online. The only thing I can do is compare Socom 4 campaign to the originals. The older Socom games beats Socom 4 campaign by along shot.

Whaaaaaaat? Socom 1 & 2 were great multiplayer games on the PS2. I didn't even touch the single player other than to unlock the SAS gear in S2. I would play the shit out of an HD-ified Socom 2 if they released it today.

Anyway, yeah, Burnout. Why don't they make these anymore? From what I recall, the last Burnout (Paradise) did pretty well for EA. Pretty sad that Criterion was cannibalized to feed the Need For Speed machine.

#35 Posted by believer258 (11776 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: One day you will get it.

It's called "trolling".

Besides, as of now "last gen" means the 360 and PS3, and "gen before last" means PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube. In which case, I want to see another open world Jak and Daxter game with proper aiming instead of that funky auto-lock that the 2 and 3 had.

#36 Posted by psylah (2169 posts) -

Halo.

#37 Posted by falserelic (5398 posts) -

@falserelic said:

I did play the original Socom Games, but I never had the chance to play those games online. The only thing I can do is compare Socom 4 campaign to the originals. The older Socom games beats Socom 4 campaign by along shot.

Whaaaaaaat? Socom 1 & 2 were great multiplayer games on the PS2. I didn't even touch the single player other than to unlock the SAS gear in S2. I would play the shit out of an HD-ified Socom 2 if they released it today.

Anyway, yeah, Burnout. Why don't they make these anymore? From what I recall, the last Burnout (Paradise) did pretty well for EA. Pretty sad that Criterion was cannibalized to feed the Need For Speed machine.

Back then I didn't have online.The only thing I could do is play Single Player games. I did hear alot of great things about Socom 1&2 online, but I couldn't play them.

#38 Edited by Giantstalker (1607 posts) -

Command and Conquer along with Red Alert instantly jump to mind.

As does SimCity.

#39 Edited by bluefish (445 posts) -

SO: as it stands, pending possible reboots

Crash Bandicoot

Socom

Command and Conquer

Wipeout (racer)

Burnout

Jak and Daxter

Driver

Medal of Honor (pending a reboot)

MLB 2K series

Perfect Dark

Twisted Metal

Project Gotham Racing

Prince of Persia

Guitar Hero

Brothers in Arms

#40 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -

@zolroyce: It's already been confirmed that a new Hitman is being made.

@fredchuckdave: Oh man. Thanks for that laugh. Almost made me shed a tear.

#41 Posted by falserelic (5398 posts) -

@zolroyce: It's already been confirmed that a new Hitman is being made.

I heard it was going to be a prequel. I am a fan of the Hitman series, but that last Hitman game absolution was a disappointment for me. It took away some stuff I enjoyed about the older games, and I found it to be boring at times.

#42 Posted by berniesbc (43 posts) -

Unreal Tournament is probably gone for good.

#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@zolroyce said:

My own personal feelings for any of them aside, none of the new Silent Hills were regarded that well by fans or critics/reviewers in general

None of them?

Also, this seems particularly relevant.

#44 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

SSX is the big name that comes to mind

#45 Posted by isomeri (1246 posts) -

Ubisoft drove basically all the "Tom Clancy's" franchises to the ground and with the death of the author himself I can't see any of them seeing the light of day any time soon. Splinter Cell will probably survive though.

#46 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

SSX is the big name that comes to mind

What was wrong with SSX? The things it done right were terrific. Trick courses without death drops were awesome, and the RiderNet stuff was really neat - and together with AutoLog - kinda leading the way to more connected and competitive and dynamic online integration. Those daily challenges are everywhere now, and gaming is better for it.

Why wouldn't EA eventually revisit SSX? It did fairly well I believe, despite being pitted against Mass Effect 3. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#47 Edited by SomberOwl (649 posts) -

Yep like others have said:

• SOCOM
  • Twisted Metal
#48 Posted by ZolRoyce (651 posts) -

@video_game_king: I personally loved Shattered Memories and it did win multiple Giantbomb awards (Including Best Wii game and best ending of 2009) and it did get some favorable reviews elsewhere including Gametrailers and GameSpot but it also got a good share of poor reviews as well, plenty of 2 and 3 out of 5 stars and 6 out of 10's etc.
It did a lot better then Homecoming and Downpour but I don't think it did well enough to save the series as far as a new one next/this gen goes.
Hey, I would love for anyone to prove me wrong though, I would highly enjoy a remake of 2 in a similar style of Shattered Memories.
Saying none was a bad choice of words though.

#49 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1005 posts) -

Depending on your definition of dead....

#50 Edited by crithon (3111 posts) -

Wipeout was the biggest surprise to me personally. Hard for me to imagine a sony console without a new wipeout.

Nintendo and EA are hard to prediction they often dig up something later.