Franchises You're Glad You Didn't Get Into.

• 107 results
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

I know this seems like a weird question but what franchises or genres are you glad you didn't become a fan of?

The two that come to mind for me are MMOs and post COD4 COD.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

Nothing? I don't see how being glad you didn't enjoy something makes any sense. If I enjoyed it then I don't care what other people think of it.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jrinswand

I dunno. "Different strokes for different folks" is my motto. I guess if I had to choose, though, I'd say the bullet hell shooters that cater to otaku perverts. Maybe those and DDR.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

Assassins Creed, i bought the first one, and almost finished it, but got mobbed at the last target. I bought the second one, and started it, the first mission past the escape from the lab is the last place i got before i got some other game and never played it again.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MoseSSesoM

Halo

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By jacksukeru

@crusader8463 said:

Nothing? I don't see how being glad you didn't enjoy something makes any sense. If I enjoyed it then I don't care what other people think of it.

Maybe an example would be something you got really invested in but it's gotten to the point that it disappoints you at every turn and never lives up to its potential. You would still get every sequel because you want to belive it could be good, but it always falls short.

Problem is it's kind of impossible to know something like that if you didn't get into it to begin with. Being dismissive of something purely based on hearsay is not the best idea either, so a better question might be "What franchises do you regret getting invested in?"

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Baillie

@Dagbiker said:

Assassins Creed, i bought the first one, and almost finished it, but got mobbed at the last target. I bought the second one, and started it, the first mission past the escape from the lab is the last place i got before i got some other game and never played it again.

AC is still pretty awesome BRO!!!!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By Giantstalker

Farmville, really, is the only one that leaps to mind. I can see the merit in virtually any other kind of real game...

... except CounterStrike. I'll just leave it at that.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Jayzilla

Halo, COD, BF, Half-Life, and Final Fantasy. Many hours of my real life were saved not getting into those franchises I think.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@crusader8463 said:

Pretty much.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By BisonHero

Kingdom Hearts. You fans are getting hosed when it comes to full sequels on consoles.

But then, everybody plays handhelds in Japan, so the handheld games are probably perfectly acceptable to Japanese fans and probably way more profitable than an expensive console Kingdom Hearts.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Dagbiker

@Baillie said:

@Dagbiker said:

Yah, i just dont have time to play 5 games for the full story.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rape simulators

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Rock Band and Guitar Hero.  Seemed kinda silly that a game where you essentially press buttons in time to music using fancy and expensive controllers was so popular.  

AJ47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By AJ47

Kingdom Hearts

Mass Effect

& I wish I had never played a Shenmue game.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Phatmac

Kingdom Hearts, Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, and Starcraft.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258  Online

Final Fantasy.

OK, I like VI. I have an interest, though not a large one, in trying out IV. I've played VII and don't really care to finish it - WIkipedia exists for the references.

I'm also glad I didn't get into Assassin's Creed. I don't really have any interest in those games. I know, they must be great, I don't want to play them.

@BisonHero said:

Kingdom Hearts. You fans are getting hosed when it comes to full sequels on consoles.

But then, everybody plays handhelds in Japan, so the handheld games are probably perfectly acceptable to Japanese fans and probably way more profitable than an expensive console Kingdom Hearts.

The Kingdom Hearts series makes a lot of cents and yet no sense at all. I did like the first one, the second one is all right, the rest are not noteworthy as far as I'm concerned.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jacksukeru

@BisonHero said:

The real problem with the franchise is that all the sequels are spread out on 4 (soon to be 5) different systems. Having followed the series from almost the beginning I don't envy anyone trying to get into it now.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By BoG

There are plenty of franchises that I'm not involved in because they don't interest me. Anything I find interesting, I'll try out at some point. I can't say there's anything that I wanted to try, never did, and am happy. had I not played WoW extensively, I would probably say Warcraft.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By crusader8463

@RockmanBionics said:

@crusader8463 said:

Maybe an example would be something you got really invested in but it's gotten to the point that it disappoints you at every turn and never lives up to its potential. You would still get every sequel because you want to belive it could be good, but it always falls short.

Problem is it's kind of impossible to know something like that if you didn't get into it to begin with. Being dismissive of something purely based on hearsay is not the best idea either, so a better question might be "What franchises do you regret getting invested in?"

I pretty much have the same answer to be honest. Even though I may not like where a series ends up, it doesn't take away the fun I had with the earlier parts of the series. For example, Dragon Age: Origins is one of my all time favourites and I have literally put close to a thousand hours into it over the years replaying every possible variation of that game. As much as I love it though I despised just about every aspect of Dragon Age 2, and if they keep going down the direction they are taking that series then I doubt I will ever like another Dragon Age game again. That doesn't mean I will stop loving the first game though. I will just have to use my imagination to see it as a self contained thing and pretend that the series didn't get taken in the direction that it did.

Command and Conquer is another one. The ones made by Westwood are among my favourite games of all time, and they are the reason I bought my first PC and got into PC gaming. Every since EA bought it and started making them however, they have all been atrocious and increasingly terrible. As bad as they get though, I can still always go back to the pre-EA games and enjoy them.

The only exception to that rule that I can think of however, would be Mass Effect and that's kind of a unique situation as so few games offer letting you take saves across the franchise like that one does. While I was never a huge die hard fan of the series, I enjoyed playing them from time to time and was really looking forward to seeing how my Shepards story ended after investing all those years into following her around the universe. I won't spoil it, but the lack luster ending of Mass Effect 3 really ruined any chances of me ever going back to playing any of the other games again knowing that no matter what I do it will all come to the same unsatisfying ending. Where as most games are their own self contained story in each new iteration that just loosly touches on some major plot points from other incarnations, when the story is based around all the big and little decisions you make as a player they become so interconnected to one another and essential to a persons enjoyment of the story it's impossible to not have one bad game ruin it for the rest.

I'm still glad I played the games and was able to enjoy them the first time around, but the terrible ending to the franchise makes going back to them impossible for me now. Still, I don't regret playing them the first time around. I guess that's the closest example of something I can think of to answer your question.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By phantomzxro

The only ones come to mind is Shenmue and Too human because if i was into the games it would suck that i would not see a sequel.

Trains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Trains

Mass Effect.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

World of Warcraft.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BisonHero

@RockmanBionics said:

@BisonHero said:

The real problem with the franchise is that all the sequels are spread out on 4 (soon to be 5) different systems. Having followed the series from almost the beginning I don't envy anyone trying to get into it now.

That is an even better point. I really can't justify owning more than one handheld per generation, because I barely find the time to play the single handheld I do own. The fact that Kingdom Hearts keep having games that are exclusive to the platform instead of being multiplatform seems like it would be incredibly irritating.

Is this a Japanese development thing? Did they just not do multiplatform until recent examples like Dark Souls and FFXIII? I can't think of any Japanese games that came out for both DS and PSP, nor can I think of any that are coming out for 3DS and Vita. They're a little better about multiplatform console releases, but since a lot of Japanese companies don't care about the 360, they're left with the PS3 and Wii, and it takes a lot of effort to make a game that works on both of those platforms.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scrawnto

I don't regret liking the Matrix or Star Wars just because later sequels/prequels disappointed me. I don't see why I would be glad I hadn't gotten into a franchise that I might have enjoyed for a while, either for games or movies.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'm not sure if I truly understand the reasoning behind this question. Take a look at Dragon Age. I think the first one is fucking great and the second one is decidedly "ehhhhh" (as opposed to meh or bleh). But even if Bioware continues to cock up the series I still think that people should unequivocally play Origins. It's not an issue of "getting into". I feel like this is just an excuse for people to bag on franchises they aren't interested in that haven't necessarily been keeping up the quality level in recent years.

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By MrSlapHappy

So the question is "What game series or entire genre of game am I glad that I didn't play so I don't have to buy them blindly or stop playing because they are no longer the kind of games I like?"

Games evolve and things change, it happens. Enjoy the ride or go do something else.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By Hailinel
@BisonHero No, there are games that appeared and will appear on multiple handheld platforms. But the DS and PSP in particular are so different in terms of hardware that you couldn't get a perfectly identical experience if you wanted to use both platforms to their full potential.
DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By DaemonBlack

I'm really glad I never got into WoW.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nail1080

@Dagbiker said:

@Baillie said:

@Dagbiker said:

Yah, i just dont have time to play 5 games for the full story.

yup your loss...and some people play games mostly for the story? Go back o Hollywood noobs

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BisonHero

@Hailinel said:

@BisonHero No, there are games that appeared and will appear on multiple handheld platforms. But the DS and PSP in particular are so different in terms of hardware that you couldn't get a perfectly identical experience if you wanted to use both platforms to their full potential.

Which ones? I'm genuinely curious. The only multiplatform handheld games I can recall seeing are games that came out early in the DS and PSP lifecycle, and are licensed games for a film or children's TV show.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By billyhoush

Halo, Mass Effect, and Elder Scrolls.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#33  Edited By fisk0

@DaemonBlack said:

I'm really glad I never got into WoW.

That would be my answer as well, unless I misunderstood the question. I was given a free copy of it for getting SC2 early (before the early parts of WOW went free to play), and couldn't stand playing more than 4 hours of it and haven't touched it since. Considering how much of their free time my friends who like WOW spend on it, I'm kinda glad I didn't like it, as I have too little time as it is.

mkskillz16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By mkskillz16

World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid. Also never/haven't figured out Minecraft or Demon's Souls out too.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect because I dont want to commit all that time to playing all the games.

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RubberFactory

Final Fantasy, that's far too many hours for me to even comprehend.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Hailinel
@BisonHero

@Hailinel said:

Which ones? I'm genuinely curious. The only multiplatform handheld games I can recall seeing are games that came out early in the DS and PSP lifecycle, and are licensed games for a film or children's TV show.

Most of them were licensed garbage, that much is true. But as a recent example, both the 3DS and Vita will be getting the 999 sequel, and both platforms also received BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 2.
jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jacksukeru

@crusader8463: Yeah I agree. While I can think of a few franchises that have turned me off of them lately, to the point of not making me want to play any sequels because I'm actively disinterested in what they would offer story wise, I couldn't think of any that would ruin earlier games for me. I guess it would take something with a lot of story hooks for that to happen.

That said, being invested in a series that's been taken in a weird direction might still be a pain. You might never regret playing a good game, but you might regret the time you wasted following the hype (for lack of a better word) of a game that turned out to disappoint, where the reason you followed it was your investment in previous games in the series.

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Socialone

Assassin's Creed. I have every reason in the world to love it -- made in my hometown, awesome gameplay, interesting plot. To see this promising franchise getting the CoD treatment destroyed any interest I had, sadly.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deathmachine117

Final Fantasy

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By dichemstys

Mass Effect because I feel bad for fans of the games due to what I've heard about the ending.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Catarrhal
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cookiemonster

WoW.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cutyoface

I am glad i never got into the Final Fantasy franchise.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikkaQ

No, not really. If anything, a series I didn't get into is something to regret, not to be glad about.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By YI_Orange

I don't see why you would be glad that you don't enjoy something. I like to like things. Though, I guess I AM glad I don't play games catered to creepy people.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By JasonR86

I'm glad I never got into an MMO or music games. I can think of no better time and money sinks then those types of games.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jacksukeru

@BisonHero: Yeah what Hailinel said, the DS and the PsP were very different from a hardware standpoint. Different screen sizes, different amount of screens, one had an analog stick while the other had touch controls and the PsP was significantly more powerful. I guess at some point they decided they wanted to try having one on every system, and since they apparently sold really well there was no reason not to. To their credit each game did use the system it was on to its fullest (graphics wise) except maybe for the phone one when it was ported to DS (didn't play that one), but again, it would had been easier for fans if they had stuck to a single set of systems, like putting them all on either Nintendo or Sony platforms.

For the record the systems and games are: Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 on the PS2, Chain of Memories on the GBA (later completely remade in 3D for the PS2 and put into a special edition of KH2), 300something-something Days and Re:Coded (latter of which was only on phones in Japan originally) for the DS, Birth by Sleep on PsP and Dream Drop Drooling on the 3DS.

Seeing how long the series has been going it isn't really that much of a surprise that it has appeared on so many systems, so the problem might be more that the series wasn't exclusive to any company rather than that it was exlusive to the different platforms, which is why it was spread around so much, and of course the fact that all the platforms themselves had such varying amounts of horsepower. The reason they haven't stuck to consoles is apparently that the team behind 1 & 2 are doing Versus 13, also money.

I think that once they do make another console KH, which I imagine will happen at some point, they will make it multiplatform (unless they wait so long that the next generation comes around and decide to save money by only making it for the Wii U or something oh my god the thought just hit me AAAAAAHHHH!)

Also, while there's still a difference between the 3DS and the Vita's capabilites, I don't think that they are pronunced enough for an eventual Vita port of the 3DS game to not be possible.

But hell if I know, maybe they're just lazy. This is all speculation, Square Enix be crazy.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AngelN7

Why would I regret getting into something? does it hurt me if a franchise has a bad chapter in the series? probably not, I take my games serious but not to that level.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mikey87144

@crusader8463: The question isn't about the quality of said games. I'll give another example, I'm glad I never got into sports games because of the time and money investment I'd have to make mastering those games. I recognize some of them as good games but I have no real interest in playing them. If I did I would have to fork over up to $200 a year for games that change incrementally.