#1 Posted by vault13dweller (4 posts) -

I like MMORPG's, but unfortunately I don't have the room in my budget to afford a subscription based game. Thus, I am looking for a decent free to play MMORPG. Right now I have Allods Online and King of Kings 3 installed on my computer, and took part in the CBT of the upcoming game Sevencore; but I wanted to see what the Giant Bomb community had to suggest for a good MMORPG to kill time with. I really enjoyed World of Warcraft and Star Wars: the Old Republic, so mechanics and features akin to what those have are very welcome. But other than recommendations, let's discuss our F2P MMO experiences, the best, the worst, and our fond memories. What games do you recommend? What have you played?

#2 Posted by adz117 (136 posts) -

Runes of Magic was really good for the short time I spent with it. Obviously GW2 is close if you can spare the upfront money for a non subscription game.

#3 Posted by Marz (5666 posts) -

in terms of quality MMOs that i've played..

LOTRO and DC Universe seem the best of the crop, and i guess SWTOR in the future since it's still a subscription game at the moment.

I played a little bit of RaiderZ closed beta and it's kind of entertaining, think of it like a poor mans TERA / Monster Hunter mix of gameplay.

#4 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

My go-to recommendation would be Star Trek Online. It certainly feels like a full price subscription MMO because it once was one. It's awesome. However, if you're not a Star Trek guy, or don't like sci-fi stuff, maybe try DC Universe? That's great too.

#5 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

LOTRO 

It's on par with the P2P MMOs. The only downside is that you have to pay to progress past level 30 pretty much unless you wanna grind achievements for a long time. 

Also there is some delay to skill usage but that's there in pretty much every MMO that isn't WoW.

#6 Edited by Jams (2965 posts) -

Everquest 1 and 2 are free to play. I'd check those out if not to at least experience them for the first time (if you haven't already). Champions online is free, but there's not much to that game really. You'd probably get more bang for your buck with Star Trek Online. I haven't played Fallout online Fallen Earth since it was pay to play, but since then it's gone free to play and I hear it's pretty good. Never really got into Dungeons and Dragons Online, but that's FTP and everyone seems to like that one.

So there's six games right there.

#7 Posted by Sweep (8948 posts) -

Aion Online is a little grindy but it looks great and a lot of work has gone into the story stuff if you can accept that the entire premise is fucking bananas. Champions Online is fun, though I remember spending more time creating my heroes than actually playing them. APB is a good laugh for a weekend, but it gets repetitive very quickly.

I have this same problem: I was looking for a decent MMO to replace WoW but it can't be done. It's like looking for the grail, a search that will consume your life and leave you dying, dissatisfied and alone.

But then I found Dota...

#8 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@Sweep said:

... that will consume your life and leave you dying, dissatisfied and alone.

Is that not also an accurate description of WoW itself, after a while?

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Jams said:

Everquest 1 and 2 are free to play. I'd check those out if not to at least experience them for the first time (if you haven't already). Champions online is free, but there's not much to that game really. You'd probably get more bang for your buck with Star Trek Online. I haven't played Fallout online since it was pay to play, but since then it's gone free to play and I hear it's pretty good. Never really got into Dungeons and Dragons Online, but that's FTP and everyone seems to like that one.

Fallout online was canned....
#10 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Jams said:

Everquest 1 and 2 are free to play. I'd check those out if not to at least experience them for the first time (if you haven't already). Champions online is free, but there's not much to that game really. You'd probably get more bang for your buck with Star Trek Online. I haven't played Fallout online since it was pay to play, but since then it's gone free to play and I hear it's pretty good. Never really got into Dungeons and Dragons Online, but that's FTP and everyone seems to like that one.

Fallout online was canned....

I meant Fallen Earth. Since it's basically a Fallout clone, I got the two confused.

#11 Posted by jaycrockett (476 posts) -

Lord of the Rings Online. It's pretty standard MMO fare mechanically, with the benefit of awesome Middle Earth flavor.

#12 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

@Sweep said:

Aion Online is a little grindy but it looks great and a lot of work has gone into the story stuff if you can accept that the entire premise is fucking bananas. Champions Online is fun, though I remember spending more time creating my heroes than actually playing them. APB is a good laugh for a weekend, but it gets repetitive very quickly.

I have this same problem: I was looking for a decent MMO to replace WoW but it can't be done. It's like looking for the grail, a search that will consume your life and leave you dying, dissatisfied and alone.

But then I found Dota...

If DOTA was an MMO, it would be the greatest MMO of all time.

#13 Posted by Sweep (8948 posts) -

@jorbear: I would love for Valve to have a crack at making an MMO. I know it will never happen, but goddamn....

#14 Posted by Elwoodan (867 posts) -

DDO is awesome as well, but only if your interested in the dungeons and dragons ruleset, gear and leveling are a bit different from your normal MMO.

#15 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

LOTRO and SWTOR, for sure. LOTRO's great if you're looking for a classic MMO-style MMO. SWTOR is a lot more like a single-player game with a lot of other people running around in it. Star Trek Online is also really good, but it's pretty different from your standard MMO. If you've always been a fan of the shows, though, it's great.

#16 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Lord of the Rings Online.

Been playing it for years and since the F2P conversion I have been playing pretty on and off and still managed to earn most of the game by now.
Its a basic time versus reward formula once  you hit around level 30, but the advantage is you can always (re)roll a new character and earn more points.
And some of the deeds (the 'mini quests' you do for Turbine Points) are easy and can be done alongside questing or easily done in a hour if you're higher level.
There's no real incentive NOT to do the deeds anyway as they give you traits which you equip on your characters to increase certain stats.
Traits are pretty much used the entire game and if you don't grind em you're going to feel pain later on, so its a win/win.

#17 Posted by neverdeed (15 posts) -

yup LOTRO until SWTOR is f2p

LOTRO just requires like 50 gigs of patches though, through the terrible patching system turbine games tend to have

#18 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

LOTRO, Firefall, RaiderZ(If you like the Monster Hunter games at least) 
And then  SWTOR when that goes F2P 

#19 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Not exactly a MMORPG, but rather a MMO Action Brawler with RPG-like character progression and loot/crafting. Vindictus is pretty darn neat. Only F2P game I've played thus far, outside of Mass Effect 3's coop mode (still angry at that).

If it wasn't a god damn free 2 play game, and hence way too damn grindy - I would have played a lot more of it. I'm surprised nobody used its template for a console MMO. It'd be the perfect fit. Maybe SEGA's Phantasy Star Online is pretty close to Vindictus, never played it for myself though.

Vindictus EU
Vindictus US

#20 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@jorbear: I would love for Valve to have a crack at making an MMO. I know it will never happen, but goddamn....

Vindictus is built with Valve's Source Engine. Their tech could definitely do something amazing in this space. I think Vindictus' core concept could work with a FPS framework too. Like a free-2-play Borderlands.

I wouldn't be surprised if we'd see something along the lines of Borderlands from Valve. Seems like it's in their ballpark.