Free to Play recommendations

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Slay3r1583

So I now have a PC capable of playing modern games. The bad thing is I don't have any money to buy any games and won't for a few weeks. So I was hoping you guys and girls could recommend me some good free to play games to check out. After watching that TNT from a couple weeks ago I really want to play MechWarrior Online. I don't pay too much attention to this kind of stuff so I'm not sure what else is worth my time. Preferably no traditional MMOs but pretty much any other style of game is fine.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Team Fortress 2 and Super Monday Night Combat. Haven't played SMNC in awhile so not sure how that games community is doing now a days.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SSully

Team Fortress 2, and League of Legends are both wildly popular. Also check out Hawken. Basically a more... casual version of mech warrior.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Christoffer

Why not try out every free to play you come across... what's to lose?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail

Play Team Fortress 2. If you decide to play an MMO check out LOTRO.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmilingPig
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Hizang

I know I'm going to be on my own, but what about that Runescape huh?

SythonX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SythonX7

Dota 2 is a great experience if its your kinda thing and there's plenty of invites around the internet, hell I think I might have some left actually.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mister_V

I keep going back to World of Tanks. It's similar to Mechwarrior online but with ww2 era tanks, It's a really fun game and the pay stuff really doesn't get in the way at all.

Exilarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Exilarius

Planetside 2, try it, it's a little hard to get used to it

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cocoonmoon

Dota 2 is a good game and more than any other Free2Play game, it has a business model that is near perfect. Team Fortress 2, Tribes: Ascend and Planetside 2 are the best FPS, though Planetside 2 didn't really hook me. Super Monday Night Combat is fun but it was pretty much dead the last time I played it and despite that I still had people leaving the match in 8 out of 10 times. Mechwarrior Online is definitely worth a look as well. Other than that... Gotham City Impostors and Blacklight: Retribution come to mind. Both FPS and worth a try.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Star Trek Online is pretty good, if you're into Trek. It's not really a traditional MMO either, it focuses a lot more on the ship to ship combat, which is a lot of fun and there's a ton of customisation options for your ship and crew.

It's pretty janky in places though and if you're not a Star Trek fan, it probably won't do much for you.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#13  Edited By Mystyr_E

Dota 2. While you'd need a beta key (like mine), I'm actually kinda surprised at how League seems boring by comparison. Also Heroes of Newerth. It's having a 3.0 update next friday with updated textures, hero models and they're adding bots (FINALLY!)

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By Levio

@Hizang said:

I know I'm going to be on my own, but what about that Runescape huh?

Runescape is too easy though. Just use https://www.powerbot.org/

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By JoeyRavn

Path of Exile just came out in public beta, and it will continue to be F2P when the game is finally "released". The microtransaction model isn't that bad, since it's mostly cosmetic stuff and options to expand what you already have (like more storage and such). And the game itself is very good.

The Old Republic isn't groundbreaking by any means (it actually sticks pretty close to the tried-and-true WoW formula), but it has 8 individual storylines (with a shitload of spoken dialogue) that you can play to completion with a Free account. If you put down only $5 and get something from the shop, you get the "Preferred" status, which drastically relaxes most of the (pretty restrictive) limitations of a Free account.

If you need a Dota 2 key, send me an MP with your Steam account name or your e-mail and I can sort that stuff for you ;)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16  Edited By Hizang

@Levio: With cheats any game is easy though..

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#17  Edited By Kidavenger
Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Miketakon

@Exilarius said:

Planetside 2, try it, it's a little hard to get used to it

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThePaleKing

Warframe.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By kaos_cracker

I know you said no MMOs, but Star Wars KOTR is free now

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Redsox44

Just started playing Path of Exile and it is amazing, you should give it a try. Also TF2 for sure, and I would say Tribes: Ascend too because I really enjoyed what I played of it.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Subjugation

I was afraid to try it at first since it was my first MOBA, but now I can't stop playing Dota 2. There is a definite learning curve, but once you start to catch on the game gets really addicting.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By C2C

Steam actually has a pretty ok selection of F2P stuff, off the top of my head I can say that Dungeon Fighter Online and Rusty Hearts are fine beat em up mmos if that's your thing. S4 league is a good alternative to Team Fortress 2 as well.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Barrock

I'd like a Dota 2 key if anyone has one. I've never played a MOBA but I'm tempted.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Slay3r1583

Thanks for the help everybody. If anybody has any other recommendations that haven't been mentioned yet please keep them coming.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26  Edited By Raven10

I really enjoyed Tribes Ascend. I tried Planetside 2 but couldn't really get into it. Very complicated game. Those have pretty much been the only F2P games I've tried recently. My brother is a big fan of LOL and DOTA 2 so I might try those out. Outside of that and the Mech games Hawken and Mechwarrior Online I can't really think of anything other than the good old standby Team Fortress 2. Oh Gotham City Imposters went F2P a while back but I haven't checked it out so I can't really comment on its quality. Hope that helps.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Icemo

World of Tanks is pretty fun shooter and doesn't require you to pay real money to enjoy the game. The thing that I like the most about the game is that you can't just aimlessly shoot at enemy tanks at higher tier battles, you have to aim at their weak spots to penetrate their armor which is a skill that takes time to master since there are some many different tanks in the game.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Funkydupe

World of Tanks is a fun and very popular free to play game. Basically you are a tank shooting other tanks in round-based combat and you can earn most stuff without the use of real currency, however, like most free to play models it goes pretty slow to advance. If you're bored, like tanks, and yeah, World War 2, try it. Apparently the Russian tanks are the best ones. Planetside 2 is fun but for me it lacks the sense of any accomplishment for an open world type game. If players could have been given the opportunity to build and spec their own destructible bases etc it'd have more risk/reward to it. Just, it needs more than it currently has; and the progression is some of the worst and slowest I've ever experienced in a free to play game. It goes terribly slow to unlock new weapons and the weapons do not look nor feel different enough for me to be worthwhile either.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Vextroid

Team Fortress 2 definitely. It's a great fun online shooter that's accessible.

Also Super Monday Night Combat, because god-damn do we need more people playing this game!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Barrock said:

I'd like a Dota 2 key if anyone has one. I've never played a MOBA but I'm tempted.

You should use the key exchange topic in the Dota 2 forum. But, sure, send me an MP and I'll send you a key through Steam.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Team Fortress 2 is well worth at least trying for almost anyone. I've also played a little PlanetSide 2 recently, and for an F2P game it doesn't do a great job introducing new players, but it seems like there's really something to it.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By buft

@I_Stay_Puft said:

Team Fortress 2 and Super Monday Night Combat. Haven't played SMNC in awhile so not sure how that games community is doing now a days.

I was on a month or so ago and the community has dropped off significantly but its stil possible to get a match fairly quickly but you end up playing the same dudes

TMBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TMBaker

WARFRAME

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By B0nd07

@WinterSnowblind said:

Star Trek Online is pretty good, if you're into Trek. It's not really a traditional MMO either, it focuses a lot more on the ship to ship combat, which is a lot of fun and there's a ton of customisation options for your ship and crew.

It's pretty janky in places though and if you're not a Star Trek fan, it probably won't do much for you.

In this same vein is Pirates of the Burning Sea, which takes place in the Caribbean during the golden age of piracy. It also has a focus on ship combat and some jank, but I enjoyed my time with it (mostly during the beta).

Like others before me, I'll also suggest World of Tanks, Team Fortress 2 or Super Monday Night Combat, if you're into shooters.

Also, download/load up Steam and take a look at their list of free-to-play games and see what catches your eye.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I know it's been mentioned, but I really loved my time with Super Monday Night Combat. It got a little too hard for me to keep up with after awhile, though.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Freshbandito

Firefall is in beta right now and worth checking out.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FrankieSpankie

Tribes: Ascend is personally my favorite F2P game by a mile. Incredibly fast paced, requires snap decisions, requires a ton of skill. Those are my kind of shooters!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Been budgeting my finances recently and been looking into F2P games more for my gaming needs. Here's a list of games I've tried or plan to play eventually.

Planetside 2, Super MNC, League of Legends, Gotham City Imposters, SWTOR, DC Universe Online, Star Trek MMO, Hawken, Mech Warrior Online, Warframe, Blacklight Retribution, Age of Empire Online, Tribes Ascend.

Probably the two that stood out was Blacklight Retribution which fills the twitch shooter need if you don't own a call of duty game on pc and Hawken which felt and looked great on my 3 year old gaming pc.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By triple07

Its wasn't doing too hot the last time I played it. Uber hasn't updated it in awhile since they are working on other things and the community has either moved on or they don't play when I do.

I second Team Fortress 2 though. Amazing game that is still fun to play to this day. Also I know you said no traditional MMOs but I have to say SW: The Old Republic is pretty surprsingly good. Story components are really impressive and that's what you get for free so its not a bad deal.

Also Dota 2 is my current favorite game so I have to mention it even though its kinda hard to start playing. If you want into the beta you can message me or go to the thread where they are giving out Dota 2 beta keys. Slightly easier to get into League of Legends is also free to play and very similar since they are both based off of DOTA.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@triple07: Yeah hopped on it a few days ago and it just seemed a lot of people either moved on or got fed up that uber wasn't fully supporting the game. I read on their forums most of the better players wanted to see the game turn in to an e-sport type game which never transpired. I played that game quite a few when it came out but it definitely felt like one of those games where the newer players got intimidated by those who had been playing for awhile. Probably reason why I stopped playing it in the first place, too much complaining about teammates and such at the end of matches. Even still SMNC was super fun with the few times I had spent with it last summer.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Giefcookie

If you are into arcade WW2 flying, War Thunder is in open beta at the moment and it both looks and feels amazing. Star Conflict is basically the same game but in space.

On the more traditional MMO front, Tera just went free-to-play a month or so ago with little to no difference between paying and free users. For a slightly different flavour there is also RaiderZ, sort of an MMO version of Monster Hunter. NeverWinter is in closed beta if you can grab a key. If you want more of a solo experience I can heartily recommend SW:ToR for its pretty amazing story.

Dota2 seems super intimidating if you haven't played a lot of or any mobas but the ingame player made guides are actually pretty good now.

Perfect World runs a bunch of FTP games, their selection is worth checking out if you don't mind anime ladies with massive breasts.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Azteck

League of Legends / Dota2 would be my answer.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By connerthekewlkid

APB reloaded is pretty fun

And i can recommend SWTOR as a F2P game but i cant really speak for any other because i haven't played them

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pikawai

I don't know if you still need help but here we go anyway: Team Fortress 2, League of Legend, Dota2 are the most well known and played f2p as of now. If you change your mind about MMO, there is TERA.

Have fun!

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v said:

I keep going back to World of Tanks. It's similar to Mechwarrior online but with ww2 era tanks, It's a really fun game and the pay stuff really doesn't get in the way at all.

I came here to say this. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time in World of Tanks. It's fun, a single match lasts at most 15 minutes and the progression is quick and satisfying. It also supports a wide variety of different playstyles. I would recommend it highly.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I've been playing some League of Legends recently and it's a lot of fun. You don't have all the Champions unlocked from the start (like Dota 2) but you do get enough in game currency to unlock them pretty easily without paying any money. I'm itching to try Dota 2 now, but I don't have a windows computer at the moment, but I'd recommend that too. They certainly have their learning curves, but at least in LoL you can do players vs bots to get in the swing of things.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know some sites

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By expensiveham

TF2 and Tribes are both free on steam and a ton of fun.

I know you said no MMOs, but Star Wars KOTR is free now

Star Wars KOTR is barely an MMO ;)