Freeware Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By thebeast

Should we be able to add freeware games to the GB database? Is this beyond the scope of the site, or if users are willing to contribute, does it matter?
If so, should there be a way to filter out all freeware games?

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Termite

Yeah, there are so many freeware and shareware games...it might be a bit much.

But I wouldn't mind it if people could put in their favorite freeware games, as long as aren't like tiny flash games or anything

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thebeast

I think perhaps, flash games are too much - but that means a line needs to be drawn somewhere, and if the site goes down the route of adding anything that can be classed as a 'game', there needs to be some sort of automatic or strict moderation on what is published.

Yunvon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yunvon

It might be too much, but maybe their will build something to house them all.

delsaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By delsaber

Freeware additions would be fine by me, as there are a lot of great ones out there. The Ur-Quan Masters, Freespace 2 Open, UFO: Alien Invasion...

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thebeast

Then there comes the question of mods, total conversions, etc.
Garry's Mod has a section even though it's just a Source mod - is the fact it's retail enough to warrant a place on the site?
On the other hand, the popular Source mod, Eclipse, does not have a section - does it belong on the site?

ozeki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By ozeki

I think you're right. I played some very good freeware games that deserve to be here. For example, Notrium is a pretty good freeware game with some interesting gameplay. Those games totally need a place on this website.

Now, some Flash games are exceptional too. Flash is just another platform to build the game upon you know. The problem with Flash games is that people only see them as some 5 minutes distractions when you are bored out of your mind on the Internet (and they're not totally wrong about this either).

Some old and new commercial games also went freeware. I'm thinking: Beneath a Steel Sky, Dink Smallwood and GTA 1 & 2 for the older games and the F.E.A.R. Combat multiplayer game for the newer ones. There is a rather long list about the subject on Wikipedia.

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emulators, browskie

BenLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There already are some freeware games with wiki pages on the site (Roguelikes and the, ah, like.), so having more would be pretty great.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

There's definitely no reason to bump a five year old thread just to mention emulators.