• 72 results
#1 Edited by Brackynews (4063 posts) -

Hi duders! I saved up some words to share. There's a funny bit in the middle.

One of the things I miss the most about the old Quest system (my condolences if that was before your time with the site) is how the quests were expertly designed to promote community interaction. Praise be to Coonce.

I remember there was this one duder dedicated to giving your profile thousands of views on request for the achievement. (I forget the exact number, I'm sure he had to use a script.) But we still had all these people on his post chatting away, and wanting to help grinding these bonkers achievements. It was a lot of fun, and many silly times were had. Easily the highlight of my Whiskey days.

And people followed the hell out of each other.

Now we don't seem to do that. That should change.

Hover over any moderator icon and you'll see tens of thousands of followers, because it's automatic to the system on every new account. Hover over the average active user, posting regularly, with insightful, empassioned comments, and sustained contributions to blogs, wiki and reviews... and maybe they'll be over 50 followers. That's bullshit.

I'm not even at 200 anymore, and I take notice when I see people with more than that. I have more followers than most of the top posters in General!?! O_o Also bullshit. We the users need to take back the night from these 1% fatcat mods, and start loving each other again, man. Totally. Your updates feed doesn't need to stay pristine. Let the content come to you. Let it flow.

BUT WAIT... don't go on a clicking spree yet.

Follow someone because you mean it. They made you laugh more than most, or you spent 30 minutes on a furious reply because they're just so wrong about everything, but that's kinda cool of them to make you pull out the big words too. Look at someone you already follow and see who they follow. Everyone I follow contributed something to the site I valued. Curated lists right there! Awesome background image that you never expected? Follow. Hundreds of wiki points on a game you've never heard / love / hate? Follow. Find a reason that works for you. Just don't be pseudo-random, unless you are also pseudo-random. I'm not judging. Share it here, if you like. Feedback loop of joy.

If you'd like to be completely insane, carry this over to duders on twitter. Hashtag F5 along with the usual #FF.

#F5. Because it's time for a refresh. (I swear to god I just made that up on the spot now, damn son.)

One love. <>

>Bracky

#2 Edited by Brackynews (4063 posts) -

Here's some of my Funderful Follows, in no particular order:

#3 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

What did I do to get followed by you?

#4 Posted by TruthTellah (8790 posts) -

We the users need to take back the night and start loving each other again, man. Totally.

Totally. I like where this is going, duder.

#5 Edited by bobafettjm (1458 posts) -

Here here! I sure do miss those quests though, I had a lot of fun clicking through pages looking for one that would trigger in whatever the current quest I was working.

Also yes, I am from Alaska.

#6 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5425 posts) -

I like the spirit of this thread. We need more comradery among the users.

Edit: I've found a few new people to follow now. :)

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

What did I do to not?

Also, note to self: clean out following list.

#8 Edited by ZombiePie (5642 posts) -

@brackynews said:

Hover over any moderator icon and you'll see tens of thousands of followers, because it's automatic to the system on every new account.

Oh that's been disabled for a while. Now new users are only set to automatically follow a selection of the staff and site engineers.

#9 Edited by Cathryn (545 posts) -

@brackynews Thank you so much for the mention and the compliment, Bracky! I'm with you -- I feel like the sense of community on the site has dwindled significantly in the past couple years and I miss the crap out of the quest system. You can expect to see me posting some follows in here in the near future.

#10 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

Does this mean that maybe more than 1 person will read my user reviews? (it's myself, proofreading)

#11 Edited by Mento (2509 posts) -

ZP's right. Any recently inducted mod from the last couple of years earned every one of their followers. Well, I bribed most of mine with cookies, but that's besides the point.

I'm ashamed to say it, but we're running out of bloggers at a distressing rate. They've generally been less than pleased with the site's notifications issues and a lack of feedback from users, so in the same spirit please consider posting on more blogs whenever they appear in Spotlights and on the GiantBombSquad twitter feed. (And not just mine. I'm posting way too much stupid anime shit these days to be worth the hassle, honestly.)

Back to this thread, how about following these blogosphere superstars:

• Video_Game_King (yes, yes, getting you out of the way with early, Kingy)
  • ArbitraryWater (he'll play awful old PC games so you don't have to. Not... that... you'd ever be required to, but...)
  • Dankempster (dude's starting that daft Nuzlocke Hard Mode Pokemon thing, wish him luck)
  • MooseyMcMan (if you like verbose blogs and Luigi, this is a good place to indulge in both of those things)
  • Dalai (guy posted like a thousand blogs back in GB's halcyon years. He might resume any day now?!)
  • FLStyle (fighter game stuff!)
  • Hailinel (Japanese game stuff!)
  • thatpinguino (carefully considered literary analysis stuff!)
  • Gamer_152, Sparky_Buzzsaw & Marino (MODERATORS HELPING MODERATORS. Get the word out about this flagrant nepotism! Send a letter to your congressman!)

And yeah, best to just follow @turboman, @lackingsaint, @hamst3r, @wallofbricks, @aurahack, @buzz_clik and @fobwashed to see any new videos/fan-art they make before it even pops up in the Rad Community Section or Community Spotlight. You can be a Giant Bomb Community Content hipster! Now that's something to add to the ol' resume! Mr. Small Business Owner could do with some of that.

#12 Posted by ILikePopCans (749 posts) -

Yes, more love is great love. I planing on doing more blogging myself, starting with the mobile assassin creed games. Hopefully I can post a blog next week.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

All my wrestling bros in the wrestling thread are great. @hailinel , @aurahack , @ajayraz , @mooseymcman and we can't forget the great content creators on the site like @fobwashed , @lackingsaint.

@meltbrain was the first one I remember ever welcoming me into the community when i first started posting in 2010. I mean really too many people to mention and I know I'm missing dozens of other people I think are cool. Oh and lest I forget @truthtellah who almost always seems to act like the level headed mediator around here when things start getting a little too rambunctious. Just a great community all around really.

#14 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

I think I made 3 or 4 pieces of fan art for the site about Jeff appearing in other video games with Jeff never commenting or recognizing any of it before I kinda stopped. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect to get a golden star for my shirt and a pat on the back, but I think every artist that puts effort into their work would like some sort of recognition. It's just a bummer.

I think it's really cool how Patrick will feature a lot of his fan art in his content and he even had that comic book cover printed out and framed. That is probably a fans greatest honor, to have your shit hung up in someones house.

#15 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@mento said:

I'm ashamed to say it, but we're running out of bloggers at a distressing rate.

Do we need another Blog Initiative? Because I kind of wish there were more people doing screenshot LPs other than you and me.

Honestly, we're probably causing enough of a strain on the site's bandwidth already between the two of us without encouraging more of it. Let's just quietly corner this super lucrative market for the time being.

And now I'm wondering if we can archive all this shit on Tumblr.

#16 Posted by Mento (2509 posts) -

@video_game_king: Honestly, we're probably causing enough of a strain on the site's bandwidth already between the two of us without encouraging more of it. Let's just quietly corner this super lucrative market for the time being.

#17 Posted by TruthTellah (8790 posts) -

@demoskinos: Aw! Thanks, demo! ♥

@humanity Hey now, duder. You've gotten a decent bit of attention when you've posted those. I remember even seeing them featured in the Community Spotlight a few times. I and many others really liked them. Quite well done. Don't let Jeff not specifically responding giving you the impression that people didn't care. Jeff's just an odd bird. We like your stuff!

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@brackynews said:

Hover over any moderator icon and you'll see tens of thousands of followers, because it's automatic to the system on every new account.

Oh that's been disabled for a while. Now new users are only set to automatically follow and selection of the staff and site engineers.

That sounds weird. Didn't the staff remove the....well, Staff section of the Users tab to prevent trolls from having their merry way? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

#19 Edited by Fobwashed (1985 posts) -

Thanks for the mentions =] I feel a bit guilty because I haven't been blogging as much but I'm at a point where almost everything I'm doing in my game dev space is backend boring ass stuff and fixing stuff before moving onto sections I can actually show in picture/video format.

I think @Marino is doing a bang up job keeping the Community Spotlight curated and @zombiepie is also knocking it on a weekly basis with his collections of blogs, forum posts and other highlights.

Blogs and follows or not, this community is still a great thing to be a part of. Guessing a large part of that is the mods not letting things get shitty. Cheers!

Ps, I hope forum posts return to the front page soon. @mrpibb @edgework ?? -_-;;

#20 Posted by Aetheldod (3554 posts) -

Well I dont blog anymore because Im a lazy ass mofo :( any one has a cure for laziness? Also my blog rarely got read anyway -_- not that my writing is anywere exciting... or good ... or well done. sigh

#21 Edited by Hailinel (24408 posts) -

@mento: @demoskinos: You guys are too kind. :) (Also, people, demoskinos is a cool guy and worth following for his contributions!)

There really are a lot of people worth following on the site. Quite a few I could name have already been mentioned, like VGK, Truthtellah and mods like Mento, Mario, ZombiePie, Sparky_Buzzsaw and Gamer_152. I'd also add @pepsiman, though she doesn't post very frequently on GB anymore, as she's always good for the occasional translation of Japanese content and her perspective.

@humanity said:

I think I made 3 or 4 pieces of fan art for the site about Jeff appearing in other video games with Jeff never commenting or recognizing any of it before I kinda stopped. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect to get a golden star for my shirt and a pat on the back, but I think every artist that puts effort into their work would like some sort of recognition. It's just a bummer.

I think it's really cool how Patrick will feature a lot of his fan art in his content and he even had that comic book cover printed out and framed. That is probably a fans greatest honor, to have your shit hung up in someones house.

Dude, those were some good pieces of art. I loved seeing those when they cropped up, even if I might not have commented on them. (Which is on me, really. I should have said something.)

#22 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

any one has a cure for laziness?

Conducive material? Obsession? Momentum?

#23 Posted by Aetheldod (3554 posts) -

@video_game_king: But where to find them my good lord ????? We earthlings have a lot of stuff to deal with , is not as cool as the moon ya know :(

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@aetheldod:

Depends:

• Conducive material: You generally just stumble into that shit. I read some Japanese audiobooks before finding out people might want to read about that (and then focus on the Japanese part '-_-). I took a bunch of Persona 3 screenshots before discovering that if you arrange them a certain way, the main character becomes a sociopathic jerk. See? Like that.
  • Obsession: An unbalanced mind helps.
  • Momentum: But another word for obsession.
#25 Posted by Hailinel (24408 posts) -

Well I dont blog anymore because Im a lazy ass mofo :( any one has a cure for laziness? Also my blog rarely got read anyway -_- not that my writing is anywere exciting... or good ... or well done. sigh

You just need to find something that you're passionate enough to write about. I wouldn't have written a blog in excess of 3000 words in length on Lightning Returns if I didn't feel so strongly about that game.

#26 Posted by Devil240Z (3324 posts) -

I think I might be too self centered to follow people.

#27 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I think I might be too self centered to follow people.

*points to my own 800+ followed users*

#28 Posted by ShaggE (6420 posts) -

I'd do regular blogging if I could just make a concept stick after scrutiny, haha. I felt like I had a good thing going with the GB stories (GBpasta? Heeby GBs?), but it just felt wrong continuing those after last July on account of their tone.

I do have this picture, though, so there's that:

What's great about pictures is that they're like sounds for your eyebits. Well, maybe not "great"... "tolerable", perhaps. I tolerate pictures constantly.

#29 Edited by believer258 (11800 posts) -

I've thought about regularly blogging but I don't really finish games often enough to have something to say about them every week. Perhaps once every two weeks or monthly would be all right. Actually, I'll probably have a hell of a lot more time to play games when college finishes. Hopefully I'll only have a job and not a job and classes and homework.

I rarely actually look at the part of your profile that tells what the people you follow have been doing. It's a cool concept but it's never something that has entered my thick skull, which I guess is a bit of a shame. I usually see what most people post because I spend an alarmingly large amount of time on the forums anyway.

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

Also, I wish that the people following you could/had to leave a blurb telling you why they decided to follow you. Sometimes I get the weirdest follows.

#30 Edited by SteadyingMeat (1153 posts) -

There's only, like, 4 non-staff users on this site that I've followed so far. 'Cause they're pretty awesome. Maybe I should follow more!

Also for some reason Drew follows me. Which is pretty cool, but I have no idea when it happened.

Also, whoa now:

#31 Edited by GunstarRed (5118 posts) -

I really miss the status update feed of people I follow. The notifications don't really make up for its removal. I'm probably only one of about five people that cared for it, but it was cool seeing peoples thoughts and things. I've been trying to blog at least twice a month since the start of the year and I'm super thankful if two people read my poorly constructed nonsense. When a blogger that I enjoy reading on the site followed me it felt like a huge success.

#32 Posted by Hailinel (24408 posts) -

There's only, like, 4 non-staff users on this site that I've followed so far. 'Cause they're pretty awesome. Maybe I should follow more!

Also for some reason Drew follows me. Which is pretty cool, but I have no idea when it happened.

Also, whoa now:

Hey, why not?

#33 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11626 posts) -

@mento said:

• ArbitraryWater (he'll play awful old PC games so you don't have to. Not... that... you'd ever be required to, but...)

It's true! I endure punishment for poorly constructed reasons and as a result am occasionally rewarded with upwards of 10 comments on any given post! Even when I'm not writing about RPGs that came out 10+ years ago, I'm writing about games that are like old RPGs that came out 10+ years ago.

What is also true is that there isn't quite as much blogging as there used to be. It seemed to perk up a bit when they brought in notifications but now notifications for blog posts are broken and I have to manually seek out visual novel-related misery. I've done my part by recently following some people who've started writing stuff I enjoy (i.e. @siroptimusprime and @gunstarred) and will continue to endorse the writings of others such as @hailinel, @sparky_buzzsaw, @gamer_152, @mento (he plays bad Turbografx games so you don't have to!), @mooseymcman, @dankempster, and of course @video_game_king.

#34 Posted by Hunter5024 (5616 posts) -

If blogs were written with intentions instead of words, then I would be blogging all up and down this place.

#35 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6155 posts) -

I like the cut of your jib, good sir and/or madam! I wish we had an easier way to find any new blogs that have been created, but in the short term, I'd definitely settle for just being able to see the blogs of people I follow.

#36 Posted by Nev (544 posts) -

Really great idea. Glad to see someone bring this up. Here are a few folks I suggest following:

@cathryn: Great writer.

@artelinarose: Provides an often very needed side on transgender issues.

@animasta: You will find no better source on the internet for talk of Nier and Zeno Clash.

#37 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -

@demoskinos: No worries, man! Glad to make you feel a part of something even if I'm not huge in the community myself. :)

#38 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11626 posts) -

If blogs were written with intentions instead of words, then I would be blogging all up and down this place.

That's the best part. If you start writing, eventually you'll make it a regular thing as you accidentally compel yourself to write about bullshit out of some sort of misplaced obligation to a group of readers that may or may not exist!

#39 Posted by LackingSaint (1787 posts) -

Thanks for the mentions, guys! Honestly, i'd love to do more blogging stuff on this site, but as others have said the lack of feedback most of the time can be real soul-crushing. Never nice to work on something for hours only to have 1 comment.

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#41 Edited by Chaser324 (6429 posts) -

@mento said:

I'm ashamed to say it, but we're running out of bloggers at a distressing rate. They've generally been less than pleased with the site's notifications issues and a lack of feedback from users, so in the same spirit please consider posting on more blogs whenever they appear in Spotlights and on the GiantBombSquad twitter feed.

Time for Blog Initiative 2.0 or maybe a new Luchazine?

I've never been a prolific a blogger or even blog replier, but I will say that it can be a bit of a bummer to see the direction that discussion has gone in recent years - a lot of fire and forget news blasts, a lot less thoughtful posting. I can definitely understand it though because putting any amount of effort into something that garners zero replies can really hurt.

#42 Edited by dankempster (2252 posts) -

This is an initiative I can definitely get behind. I'm definitely one of the culprits when it comes to this, as I don't think I've really followed anyone new in a long time. Probably because I don't use the forums very often these days, although that's something I'm intending to rectify. I will start by following the OP, the reason being that this kind of thread is long overdue.

A lot of the names I intended to mention have already been shouted out by others (the likes of @sparky_buzzsaw, @mento, @video_game_king, @arbitrarywater and @thatpinguino). Y'all should definitely follow those guys because they write awesome blogs. One name I haven't seen yet, though, is @majormitch. Dude puts together awesome breakdowns of what he's been playing at the end of every month, which are invariably well-written and informed, and doesn't seem to get anywhere near the recognition he deserves for it. If you're not already following him, you should go read his latest Monthly Roundup. If that doesn't make you want to hit the Follow button, I fear your soul may be a lost cause.

#43 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6155 posts) -
#44 Edited by Generic_username (601 posts) -

I am super into this thread.

Glad to have some new people to follow.

I plan on blogging more, too, but I definitely still need more practice writing. I think I'm alright, but nothing special. Here's hoping that one day I have some stuff that's actually worth reading!

Also, I can not recommend @mento and @video_game_king as people you should follow enough.

#45 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5425 posts) -

Funnily enough, I thought I was already following a lot of people mentioned in this thread, but was indeed not. I have promptly corrected that.

#46 Posted by Hunter5024 (5616 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

@hunter5024 said:

That's the best part. If you start writing, eventually you'll make it a regular thing as you accidentally compel yourself to write about bullshit out of some sort of misplaced obligation to a group of readers that may or may not exist!

That doesn't sound soul crushing at all! I'll get right on it. Psst, I read all of your blogs.

#47 Posted by thatpinguino (870 posts) -
@mento said:

ZP's right. Any recently inducted mod from the last couple of years earned every one of their followers. Well, I bribed most of mine with cookies, but that's besides the point.

I'm ashamed to say it, but we're running out of bloggers at a distressing rate. They've generally been less than pleased with the site's notifications issues and a lack of feedback from users, so in the same spirit please consider posting on more blogs whenever they appear in Spotlights and on the GiantBombSquad twitter feed. (And not just mine. I'm posting way too much stupid anime shit these days to be worth the hassle, honestly.)

Back to this thread, how about following these blogosphere superstars:

• Video_Game_King (yes, yes, getting you out of the way with early, Kingy)
  • Dankempster (dude's starting that daft Nuzlocke Hard Mode Pokemon thing, wish him luck)
  • MooseyMcMan (if you like verbose blogs and Luigi, this is a good place to indulge in both of those things)
  • Dalai (guy posted like a thousand blogs back in GB's halcyon years. He might resume any day now?!)
  • FLStyle (fighter game stuff!)
  • Hailinel (Japanese game stuff!)
  • thatpinguino (carefully considered literary analysis stuff!)
  • Gamer_152, Sparky_Buzzsaw & Marino (MODERATORS HELPING MODERATORS. Get the word out about this flagrant nepotism! Send a letter to your congressman!)

And yeah, best to just follow @turboman, @lackingsaint, @hamst3r, @wallofbricks, @aurahack, @buzz_clik and @fobwashed to see any new videos/fan-art they make before it even pops up in the Rad Community Section or Community Spotlight. You can be a Giant Bomb Community Content hipster! Now that's something to add to the ol' resume! Mr. Small Business Owner could do with some of that.

@dankempster:

Thanks for the shoutout! I'm glad people are actually reading and enjoying my stuff! The feedback and views have been solid, but it can be discouraging when a 2000 word essay I spend weeks on gets 1/10th the response of a piece of system wars flame bait. I wish there was a better way to foreground the blogs on this site without taking away community spotlight front page slots from other cool community stuff. Maybe more diligent following is the answer though! All power to the follow.

#48 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

That's a general rule of blogging: you never know what's going to get comments. For example, my Vagrant Story blog got an oddly high amount of comments based on JRPGs of old. My Tokimeki blog, though? I had to remind people that thing even existed, even when the general reaction was positive. The gambles of blogging.

#49 Posted by thatpinguino (870 posts) -

@video_game_king: Seems to me the amount of nostalgia your topic conjures is what counts, more than the effort sometimes. Or if you get in the middle of an established conflict.

#50 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@thatpinguino:

Kind of. It's more along the lines of hitting the community ethos (for lack of a better word) and simply getting lucky.