Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

Greetings Giant Bombers, I hope you’re all enjoying your 2011 so far, I know I am. I’ve got a lot more blog content “in the pipeline” but it’s going to be a while before that’s out of the oven so I figure now is good time to talk about what I’ve been playing recently. Initiate blog!

Forza Motorsport 3

The extent of my knowledge about cars is pretty much limited to "Shiny box go zoom".

I’m very late to the party on this one and I’m not a big fan of racing games but from the little I’ve played of Forza 3 I’ve found something I can really enjoy in it. The accessibility of the game is one of its greatest assets and it’s something that I think a lot of games can learn from no matter their genre. A lot of the deeper and more complex games out there make themselves inaccessible to certain kinds of players by bombarding them with gameplay elements that the player must take a considerable amount of time and effort to master. This means many players feel overwhelmed and go through a period of struggling before they get a proper feeling of fun from the game. Forza 3 manages to make itself open to even those who don’t play many racing games, without removing the gameplay systems that racing game fans enjoyed.

Of course I also have to praise the game’s rich, well fleshed-out features, from the online auctions and stores, to the customisation options and creation tools. Even before playing the game I’d already seen some of the mind-blowing things people had created using the in-game tools.

Mass Effect 2

Yesterday I played through the Kasumi’s Stolen Memory DLC and was delighted to have one again been a part of the Mass Effect universe. I must be honest and say that I didn’t find Kasumi as interesting as most of the other characters in the game, and I did find the DLC a bit briefer than I would have liked, however it was fun to use Kasumi’s stealth ability and the choice that had to be made at the end was very interesting. It may have also had an even better use of camera than the main content in Mass Effect 2 did, and helped ram home how beautiful the sci-fi world of Mass Effect can really be.

Tron: Evolution

Hey Disney, this is pretty cool, if only you could make the camera a bit closer to my light cycle it'd be perfect.

So, before I talk about Tron: Evolution I think I should make it clear that I do have some hang-ups with the universe of Tron. I understand why it appeals to people but both as a programmer and a person who just likes their fiction to make sense it just annoys me that the world of Tron is completely nonsensical. I feel like it lures me in with its fancy talk of caches and buses, but then just turns out to be about telling me there are tiny people inside my computing zooming around on magic motorcycles.  That being said I thought Tron: Evolution had the potential to be better than the average movie game.

Sadly I’ve had two somewhat lengthy play sessions with Tron: Evolution and I never feel like I want to pick it up again. The game looks nice and the sound isn’t bad but I just hate everything about the gameplay. Perhaps one of the most annoying things is that the game seems deliberately imbalanced. Combat is very largely dependent on your character’s level and this means that not only does the combat seem unreasonably imbalanced against you from the start, but it also feels a bit like the game is punishing you for not playing the multiplayer, and honestly, I don’t want to play the multiplayer.

In the regular online matches everyone just seems to pile together and spam their attacks until some sort of outcome is reached, and in lightcycles matches the camera remains so close to your character you can’t actually get any idea of what’s going on in the vast map around you. The camera is also a problem in single-player, leading to frustration in platforming sections and plenty of situations in combat where you get attacked by unseen enemies. On top of that there’s a whole number of other holes in the game design and overall I just feel like the gameplay is too repetitive. I think it’s pretty conclusive, I’ve not enjoyed Tron: Evolution.

Fable III

Damn Molyneux, I just can't help but love you.

A lot has already been said about what was wrong with Fable III, however one thing that I don’t think has been talked about quite as much is that while there were a lot of things wrong with it, some of those things were wrong for the right reasons. What I mean to say is that I believe a large amount of the design ideas didn’t work out because they were highly ambitious ideas that just couldn’t be realised. Molyneux put across the impression that Lionhead had great plans for the latest Fable instalment and while a lot of games are bad I’d much rather have a game that fell short of it’s mark while trying to be ambitious, than one that was bad because publishers weren’t willing to give proper time and resources, or because the developers were contented with creating a generic experience.

The armoury system was on the whole not very effective, but the clothing system within the armoury is something a lot of other RPGs could learn from, and Lionhead’s attempt to obsolete the HUD with his game was an admirable effort at cracking a very difficult task. Perhaps the part of the game I’m most happy they were ambitious with were the difficult choices in the endgame. The ending itself is far too sudden and could provide a nasty experience for players under the wrong circumstances, however I think the later gameplay did a good job of making the player really the feel the struggle between trying to please the people and trying to save them. The game also presented you with what were, at their core, difficult political decisions, many of which I found genuinely hard to decide on. I mean hell, the ability to do that was one of the things Mass Effect has been praised for (and rightly so). They didn’t do it with the depth and elegance of Mass Effect, but for all the talk about Fable’s weak moral choice system it was a promising step towards more complex moral decisions in video games. Fable III, I may never play you again, but damn you tried.

Duder, It’s Over

That concludes another week of scratching my head and typing. May 2011 continue to bring great gaming experiences. Good luck, have Grunt.

-Gamer_152

#1 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

Greetings Giant Bombers, I hope you’re all enjoying your 2011 so far, I know I am. I’ve got a lot more blog content “in the pipeline” but it’s going to be a while before that’s out of the oven so I figure now is good time to talk about what I’ve been playing recently. Initiate blog!

Forza Motorsport 3

The extent of my knowledge about cars is pretty much limited to "Shiny box go zoom".

I’m very late to the party on this one and I’m not a big fan of racing games but from the little I’ve played of Forza 3 I’ve found something I can really enjoy in it. The accessibility of the game is one of its greatest assets and it’s something that I think a lot of games can learn from no matter their genre. A lot of the deeper and more complex games out there make themselves inaccessible to certain kinds of players by bombarding them with gameplay elements that the player must take a considerable amount of time and effort to master. This means many players feel overwhelmed and go through a period of struggling before they get a proper feeling of fun from the game. Forza 3 manages to make itself open to even those who don’t play many racing games, without removing the gameplay systems that racing game fans enjoyed.

Of course I also have to praise the game’s rich, well fleshed-out features, from the online auctions and stores, to the customisation options and creation tools. Even before playing the game I’d already seen some of the mind-blowing things people had created using the in-game tools.

Mass Effect 2

Yesterday I played through the Kasumi’s Stolen Memory DLC and was delighted to have one again been a part of the Mass Effect universe. I must be honest and say that I didn’t find Kasumi as interesting as most of the other characters in the game, and I did find the DLC a bit briefer than I would have liked, however it was fun to use Kasumi’s stealth ability and the choice that had to be made at the end was very interesting. It may have also had an even better use of camera than the main content in Mass Effect 2 did, and helped ram home how beautiful the sci-fi world of Mass Effect can really be.

Tron: Evolution

Hey Disney, this is pretty cool, if only you could make the camera a bit closer to my light cycle it'd be perfect.

So, before I talk about Tron: Evolution I think I should make it clear that I do have some hang-ups with the universe of Tron. I understand why it appeals to people but both as a programmer and a person who just likes their fiction to make sense it just annoys me that the world of Tron is completely nonsensical. I feel like it lures me in with its fancy talk of caches and buses, but then just turns out to be about telling me there are tiny people inside my computing zooming around on magic motorcycles.  That being said I thought Tron: Evolution had the potential to be better than the average movie game.

Sadly I’ve had two somewhat lengthy play sessions with Tron: Evolution and I never feel like I want to pick it up again. The game looks nice and the sound isn’t bad but I just hate everything about the gameplay. Perhaps one of the most annoying things is that the game seems deliberately imbalanced. Combat is very largely dependent on your character’s level and this means that not only does the combat seem unreasonably imbalanced against you from the start, but it also feels a bit like the game is punishing you for not playing the multiplayer, and honestly, I don’t want to play the multiplayer.

In the regular online matches everyone just seems to pile together and spam their attacks until some sort of outcome is reached, and in lightcycles matches the camera remains so close to your character you can’t actually get any idea of what’s going on in the vast map around you. The camera is also a problem in single-player, leading to frustration in platforming sections and plenty of situations in combat where you get attacked by unseen enemies. On top of that there’s a whole number of other holes in the game design and overall I just feel like the gameplay is too repetitive. I think it’s pretty conclusive, I’ve not enjoyed Tron: Evolution.

Fable III

Damn Molyneux, I just can't help but love you.

A lot has already been said about what was wrong with Fable III, however one thing that I don’t think has been talked about quite as much is that while there were a lot of things wrong with it, some of those things were wrong for the right reasons. What I mean to say is that I believe a large amount of the design ideas didn’t work out because they were highly ambitious ideas that just couldn’t be realised. Molyneux put across the impression that Lionhead had great plans for the latest Fable instalment and while a lot of games are bad I’d much rather have a game that fell short of it’s mark while trying to be ambitious, than one that was bad because publishers weren’t willing to give proper time and resources, or because the developers were contented with creating a generic experience.

The armoury system was on the whole not very effective, but the clothing system within the armoury is something a lot of other RPGs could learn from, and Lionhead’s attempt to obsolete the HUD with his game was an admirable effort at cracking a very difficult task. Perhaps the part of the game I’m most happy they were ambitious with were the difficult choices in the endgame. The ending itself is far too sudden and could provide a nasty experience for players under the wrong circumstances, however I think the later gameplay did a good job of making the player really the feel the struggle between trying to please the people and trying to save them. The game also presented you with what were, at their core, difficult political decisions, many of which I found genuinely hard to decide on. I mean hell, the ability to do that was one of the things Mass Effect has been praised for (and rightly so). They didn’t do it with the depth and elegance of Mass Effect, but for all the talk about Fable’s weak moral choice system it was a promising step towards more complex moral decisions in video games. Fable III, I may never play you again, but damn you tried.

Duder, It’s Over

That concludes another week of scratching my head and typing. May 2011 continue to bring great gaming experiences. Good luck, have Grunt.

-Gamer_152

#2 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i enjoy playing forza 3. it is a great racing game. i'm working on getting the season achievement. the one where i have to beat all of the races by season play. i think i'm on like season 9. it is taking a pretty long time to get all the achievements for that game. 

i didn't play tron: legacy but i saw the movie. i didn't like it compared to the older one. the graphics were good just i thought it was boring or something.

#3 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6135 posts) -

Regarding Fable 3, I think you've put into words better than what I've been saying.  Fable 3 is flawed, sure, and I don't enjoy it as much as its predecessor.  However, I do applaud them for trying new ideas.  I just hope in the future, the development team is allowed (and allows themselves) the proper time to get accurate playtesting and opinions, as well as releasing information to the media sooner to gauge responses to the gameplay changes they're trying to implement.  It worked wonders for Borderlands, and I'm sure it would have helped here too.

Moderator Online
#4 Posted by Trace (3553 posts) -
@iam3green said:
" i enjoy playing forza 3. it is a great racing game. i'm working on getting the season achievement. the one where i have to beat all of the races by season play. i think i'm on like season 9. it is taking a pretty long time to get all the achievements for that game. "
Just as a suggestion for saving time, once you complete Year 6 in Forza 3 and get that achievement, all the remaining events can be entered and won through the event list for Solid Gold. That way, you're not repeating the R1 championship over and over again (even if it's really good money).
#5 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -
@PsEG said:
" @iam3green said:
" i enjoy playing forza 3. it is a great racing game. i'm working on getting the season achievement. the one where i have to beat all of the races by season play. i think i'm on like season 9. it is taking a pretty long time to get all the achievements for that game. "
Just as a suggestion for saving time, once you complete Year 6 in Forza 3 and get that achievement, all the remaining events can be entered and won through the event list for Solid Gold. That way, you're not repeating the R1 championship over and over again (even if it's really good money). "
so your telling me that after i get that achievement like beat season 6 then i can pick what races i want? i didn't know that i thought they meant like  beat every race in season play, which i have been doing.
#6 Posted by Hailinel (24255 posts) -

The thing is, Lionhead didn't eliminate the inventory screen in Fable III.  If anything, they made it more complicated.

#7 Posted by Chaser324 (6389 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:
"May 2011 continue to bring great gaming experiences."
I agree! The year has already delivered me one great experience in Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, and I hope that it continues to deliver.
#8 Posted by Trace (3553 posts) -
@iam3green said:
" so your telling me that after i get that achievement like beat season 6 then i can pick what races i want? i didn't know that i thought they meant like  beat every race in season play, which i have been doing. "
Yep, you can go to the event list to pick and choose events for Solid Gold. It's a lot faster that way, I think, and the checkmarks do a nice job of showing your overall progress.
#9 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -
@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
"Regarding Fable 3, I think you've put into words better than what I've been saying.  Fable 3 is flawed, sure, and I don't enjoy it as much as its predecessor.  However, I do applaud them for trying new ideas.  I just hope in the future, the development team is allowed (and allows themselves) the proper time to get accurate playtesting and opinions, as well as releasing information to the media sooner to gauge responses to the gameplay changes they're trying to implement.  It worked wonders for Borderlands, and I'm sure it would have helped here too."
The thing with releasing information to the media and gauging response to that is that with the time and resources it takes to do that developers and publishers can usually get far more in-depth and relevant information from carrying out actual playtesting.

@Hailinel said:
" The thing is, Lionhead didn't eliminate the inventory screen in Fable III.  If anything, they made it more complicated. "
Actually I didn't say they eliminated the inventory screen in Fable III, I said they attempted to eliminate the HUD. However, unless we're defining "screen" as any visuals conveyed by a game then I would say they eliminated the inventory screen. I don't think it went that well but they weren't attempting to simplify the inventory, they were trying to make it link more seamlessly with the in-game environment.

@Chaser324 said:
" @Gamer_152 said:
"May 2011 continue to bring great gaming experiences."
I agree! The year has already delivered me one great experience in Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, and I hope that it continues to deliver. "
I'm hearing good things about that game. It's good to see that even a game which is simple at it's core concept can be well recognised.

@PsEG said:
" @iam3green said:
" so your telling me that after i get that achievement like beat season 6 then i can pick what races i want? i didn't know that i thought they meant like  beat every race in season play, which i have been doing. "
Yep, you can go to the event list to pick and choose events for Solid Gold. It's a lot faster that way, I think, and the checkmarks do a nice job of showing your overall progress. "
Thanks for the information on that stuff, useful to know.