From Software bought out by Kadokawa

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Your favorite publisher standing behind your even more favorite games like Lollipop Chainsaw or Killer is Dead has bought 80% of From Software.

I for one look forward to the inevitable Grasshopper/From Software collaboration.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

As in Kadokawa Shoten, the anime company?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@nasar7: Kadokawa is a large media company. They're not specifically an anime production house.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@humanity said:

I for one look forward to the inevitable Grasshopper/From Software collaboration.

A Dark Souls game with the colour palette of a Grasshopper game would be interesting to see.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Nasar7

@hailinel said:

@nasar7: Kadokawa is a large media company. They're not specifically an anime production house.

Ah, so it is the same company. Well I suppose anything that gets them away from the Namco Bandai is a good thing.

GideonAmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By GideonAmos

Travis Touchdown with his beam katana as red phantom in Dark Souls 3 here we goooooo

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

This seems like a good merger, from the perspective of them both being companies that don't put out anything I'm interested in. Perhaps they should consider a partnership with Konami, as well.

VarrosAnon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is surprising news, since you'd think From would sell themselves to someone bigger, but they're in the same wheelhouse so it makes sense. Dark Souls spinoff game that's only released in Japan incoming!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Traviselle Touchdaun

Ancient knight, guardian to Sylvi Crystal

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@humanity: Kadokawa's relationship with Grasshopper is likely over now now, as GungHo bought the latter not too long ago.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still trying to figure out if this is good or not...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli

Sony and Microsoft missed a huge opportunity by failing to buy up From Software. The Souls series is fucking hot. Every Souls die-hard would go to hell and back to play the next Souls game. If it was a platform exclusive, that'd be guaranteed to drive hardware sales. Demon's Souls sure as hell got me to buy a PS3, a platform I had only condescension beforehand.

Look at me now, between PS3 & PS Vita & PS4 and my PS Plus subscription and the awesomeness that are PSN sales, other platforms pretty much don't have a leg to stand-on. I just don't have the time to spare.

I know I'd buy an Xbox One, if it was the only platform I could play the Souls franchise on. Right now, I don't know what else Microsoft could do, to get me to buy into their new platform. Of course I already have a PS4, and I'd have been grinning smuggly, if Sony had incorporated From Software into their World Wide Studios. Would've been the perfect win.

I don't know Kadokawa. I'm hoping they aren't messing with the Souls franchise. I am expecting another decade of this hot Souls shit.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Hey, maybe now we'll get Grasshopper games that actually play well, and From Software games that don't look like garbage.

I'm half kidding. As cool as some of the monster designs in the Souls games can be, overall it just seems generic dark fantasy to me.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#14  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I wonder if this'll be the end of their attempts to bring the Souls games to PC.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Sarumarine

Travis Touchdown with his beam katana as red phantom in Dark Souls 3 here we goooooo

Dark spirit MOE HUNTER has invaded!

cyberfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By cyberfunk

Cant wait for the busty cleavage DLC for DS2.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't figure out if most gamers are completely ignorant about what corporate buyouts actually mean or if it is just the predictable failed attempts at comedy every time a game studio is bought out, but either way the reactions to these things always leave me shaking my head.

The notion that Atlus being bought by Sega would mean Sonic would be included in their games, or that Bethesda buying id would result in Doom 4 being open world, or now that this purchase would mean the next Dark Souls will be more like Grasshopper games is dumb on so many levels. Just because two games studios are owned by the same publisher doesn't bring with it any implication that the games made by those studios would somehow crossover.

Speculating about technology sharing (like EA and its frostbite ubiquity) or business strategies is one thing, but to suggest that the creative aspects of a studio will somehow become more like other studios owned by the same company is beyond stupid.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Most people are just having fun. I don't actually expect any crossover action just because a certain developer shares the same publisher umbrella with another development house.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By afabs515

Pack it up guys; Souls is over. We had a good run, but it's come to an end.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

@afabs515 said:

That's BS. If anything they'll have more money to put towards the souls games. Or, more likely, nothing will change.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By afabs515

@ttocs said:

@afabs515 said:

That's BS. If anything they'll have more money to put towards the souls games. Or, more likely, nothing will change.

Yeah, I was joking haha

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@humanity said:

Your favorite publisher standing behind your even more favorite games like Lollipop Chainsaw or Killer is Dead has bought 80% of From Software.

So they're going to start publishing good games finally?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are all wrong. It's going to be Kantai Collection: Dark Souls edition.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ll_exile_ll: It's obvious that everyone who suggests anything like that in this thread is joking.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By reisz

Fantastic. This gives my dream scenario of a Miyazaki driven Tenchu revival some legs. Kadokawa love their Chanbara.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@slaps2 said:

@humanity said:

So they're going to start publishing good games finally?

Killer is Dead was good.....

I mean yeah, the sexist garbage was annoying, but it was fun...

Poor Grasshopper :(

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@gideonamos said:

Dark spirit MOE HUNTER has invaded!

Sticky white stuff...

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

So is this considered a good or bad thing for the future of the Souls Series?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

At this point, I don't think that there's anything to honestly worry about. It's not like they were restrictive on what Suda 51 and Grasshopper could do with Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead (though Grasshopper was never actually owned by Kadokawa). I would expect that they recognize the popularity of the Souls series, so we'll probably see another Souls game (or something similarly along those lines) in the next few years.

Bottom line, these guys aren't EA, so don't expect From Software to suddenly lose their soul overnight.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@hailinel said:

@slag said:

At this point, I don't think that there's anything to honestly worry about. It's not like they were restrictive on what Suda 51 and Grasshopper could do with Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead (though Grasshopper was never actually owned by Kadokawa). I would expect that they recognize the popularity of the Souls series, so we'll probably see another Souls game (or something similarly along those lines) in the next few years.

Bottom line, these guys aren't EA, so don't expect From Software to suddenly lose their soul overnight.

No pun intended eh?

Well that's good to hear regardless. Honestly I know nothing about Kadokawa, so was just genuinely curious.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

@hailinel said:

@slag said:

No pun intended eh?

Well that's good to hear regardless. Honestly I know nothing about Kadokawa, so was just genuinely curious.

D'oh! Nope!

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

ENB put up a pretty good video talking about what all this means or could mean for Fromsoft. He talks over a clip of himself playing DS2 so play it minimized or in another window if you will freak over seeing stuff you haven't seen yet.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I know about Kadokawa is that they own Gamera. This better end with From Software making a Gamera game, that would be so... terrible, probably, but I still want it to happen.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Kadokawa isn't good at making games but they know who makes good games and it not a bad move to take up the studio. It the same as Sega sammy getting Atlus, Keep a good studio alive and help them make games that will do well. Also Dark souls anime, how cool would that be?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unlikely as it may seem, but...

I would play a mecha anime tie-in built on the Armored Core engine.