Future Total War Title TBA This Year, but in Another Expo

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MocBucket62

I just read an article today that The Creative Assembly will announce the new Total War game at a video game expo that's not E3. There will be a sneak peek of the new Total War title at a PC/Indie game show called Rezzed , sponsered by Eurogamer.net. I know, I'm pretty disappointed that there's a 99% chance of not seeing what the new Total War game is at E3, but I'm happy that the possibility of Total War: Rome 2 being announced this year is coming. They may show something new like World War II Total War, which is something I personally don't want, but we'll see at Rezzed. 

EDIT: BTW, REZZED starts on July 6th if you all wanted to know when it starts. ALso I realized that this should be in the Total War Forums, so I'll start a topic under those forums.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jelekeloy

I thought the title was implying that there would be a futuristic Total War game. That is a game I would like to see.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShaneDev

I do wonder where they go now and what they can add thats new. I would hope they add a little more strategy to the campaign map and I hope it something new and not another redo of their old games.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MocBucket62
@ShaneDev: I would actually like to see this, Greece: Total War. This isn't really like Rome where the Greeks are represented as the Greek Cities, but have each city state be a different faction. Like you can play as the Spartans and have them battle against the Persian forces in the Battle of Thermopylae. It can even go from ancient Greece's beginnings to Alexander's empire (Yes I know they did that with Rome Total War Alexander, but they can improve from that with this). 
Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

As long as its Rome 2 they can't fail in my book.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AlexW00d

Rezzed is Eurogamer and Rock Paper Shotgun btw.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar
@MocBucket62 said:
@ShaneDev: I would actually like to see this, Greece: Total War. This isn't really like Rome where the Greeks are represented as the Greek Cities, but have each city state be a different faction. Like you can play as the Spartans and have them battle against the Persian forces in the Battle of Thermopylae. It can even go from ancient Greece's beginnings to Alexander's empire (Yes I know they did that with Rome Total War Alexander, but they can improve from that with this). 
How would you differentiate unit types?  Shogun 2 was already kind of suffering in that department.
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By alistercat

Oooh. I was thinking of going to Rezzed. I knew they'd be there. Brighton Centre.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

If this is turns out to be Rome 2..... I might need to buy a new computer......

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By pyromagnestir

@jelekeloy said:

I thought the title was implying that there would be a futuristic Total War game. That is a game I would like to see.

Me too. I'd really like to see what that would be like.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MocBucket62
@Turambar: You still have the Persians who fought the Spartans and Athentians. For the Alexander section, you have the Egyptians and Assyrians who can serve as factions with different unit types compared to the Greek factions. Oh and there would be differences between the Creek City states. Yes both Sparta and Athens had hoplites, but Athens was way more diverse in military organization as they used cavalry and peltasts, though the Spartans would obviously be much stronger in infantry and spearman units.
Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Winternet

And people talk about Square Enix milking the Final Fantasy franchise.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo
@MocBucket62 said:
Have you played Hegemony? It's pretty good. Better than Total War in some ways, imo.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By warxsnake

I'm a Total War fan but I gotta say the last two major releases (Empire and Shogun2), I haven't been too interested in. I played both and was like meh. Neither grabbed me like MTW2 or Rome TW.  

Kinda wishing they would scrap most of their design and refresh the game mechanics a little bit, it's becoming more of the same.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jace

@Winternet: Did you just honestly compare CA to Activision? That's the dumbest thing I've read today.

On topic, I hope we get Rome 2 as well. Although, I'd be happy with a different setting.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo
@Winternet said:

And people talk about Activision milking the Call Of Duty franchise.

They sure do.
Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Winternet

@Jace: One is a developer and another is a developer. So, yeah, kinda.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jace

@Winternet said:

@Jace: One is a developer and another is a publisher. So, no, I didn't compare them.

At least you're aware you made an incoherent reference.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Winternet

@Jace: what? no. The point was "they sure do a lot of them Total War games".

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jace

@Winternet: No, your post seems to imply that you think CA is "milking" the Total War series in the same way that the CoD franchise is being milked.

This is obviously a false comparison for a slew of reasons. The main one being that Total War hasn't used the same engine for 7 games, and thus actually changes and evolves over time.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Winternet

@Jace: They slap the Total War name for the same reason they slap the Final Fantasy name.

Edit: but hey, you don't like it being COD. No problemo, I can change it.

Edit2: Done.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MocBucket62
@Jimbo: I haven't but it looks like its up my alley when it comes to historically based strategy gaming. Too bad I have a MAC so I can't play Hegemony. Also... 

@Joeybagad0nutz said:

If this is turns out to be Rome 2..... I might need to buy a new computer......

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Turambar
@pyromagnestir said:

@jelekeloy said:

Well, the reason that wouldn't really work is that modern combat is very small squad based, while Total War has always dependent on large unit formation based battles.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

They either re-release a game, or they move it along, in which case it won't be Total War. But I'd rather see WWI Total War than Rome v2.0 Total War with shiny graphics. But then again, i might loose my shit when i actually see it...so we'll see.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Turambar
@Winternet said:

@Jace: They slap the Total War name for the same reason they slap the Final Fantasy name.

Except it's called Total War specifically because it has destinctive mechanics that make it so.  A proper analogy would be comparing it to Firaxis "milking" Civilization, which is a fucking absurd accusation to make.
Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jace

@Winternet said:

.... You still don't get it. Never mind, I don't care. People make stupid claims on the internet all the time. You win.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Winternet

@Turambar: Firaxis doesn't release a proper new CIV game every year like Total War is now. Before they were doing alright, but these last 3/4 years they've been releasing one every year. It gets to a point that is too much. Hey, that's my opinion.

@Jace: yay I win! * excitement*

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Turambar
@Winternet said:

@Turambar: Firaxis doesn't release a proper new CIV game every year like Total War is now. Before they were doing alright, but these last 3/4 years they've been releasing one every year. It gets to a point that is too much. Hey, that's my opinion.

@Jace: yay I win! * excitement*

They release one every two years, switching between locations each time.  They have been on this development cycle since the first Total War game.  This isn't a case of opinions, just incorrect facts.  The only wrinkle in fact has been Napoleon: Total War, which utilizes Empires assets very closely, close enough that it'd be reasonable to assume it was originally intended as an expansion for Empires but grew to a size that a standalone game made more sense.
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@jelekeloy said:

Well, the reason that wouldn't really work is that modern combat is very small squad based, while Total War has always dependent on large unit formation based battles.

What if they go so far in the future guns are useless, so swords and other things are the only thing you can kill someone with. And armies are huge again. And instead of horses, cavalry ride tanks! No, space horses! No, genetically engineered sea horses that can live on land! No. I don't know help me out here.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jace

@Winternet: How ON EARTH can you say CA is milking a franchise that goes through major technical and conceptual changes at least every other release?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Turambar
@pyromagnestir said:

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@jelekeloy said:

What if they go so far in the future guns are useless, so swords and other things are the only thing you can kill someone with. And armies are huge again. And instead of horses, cavalry ride tanks! No, space horses! No, genetically engineered sea horses that can live on land! No. I don't know help me out here.

So basically Mythology: Total War. I would be okay with this.
Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Winternet

@Turambar: I'm sorry, maybe the internet is giving me false data, but Empire: Total War released on Mar. 4th, 2009 ; Napolean: Total War released on Feb. 23, 2010 ; Total War: Shogun 2 released on Mar. 26, 2011.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By AlexW00d

@AlisterCat said:

Oooh. I was thinking of going to Rezzed. I knew they'd be there. Brighton Centre.

I wanna do the same, but it'd cost like 3 times the price of the the ticket to get in to actually travel to Brighton.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Turambar
@Winternet said:

@Turambar: I'm sorry, maybe the internet is giving me false data, but Empire: Total War released on Mar. 4th, 2009 ; Napolean: Total War released on Feb. 23, 2010 ; Total War: Shogun 2 released on Mar. 26, 2011.

And like I said, Napolean is more than likely an expansion that grew too large and ended up as a standalone game, considering its direct usage of of Empires assets that could be seen in previous expansions for Rome and Medieval 2.  Further, that remains the only anomaly in the entire cycle and the difference between Empires and Shogun II is very big, far more so any change between the Modern Warfare games that you were so eager to compare it to.
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@jelekeloy said:

I guess I was thinking something more along the lines of Star Wars: Total War, to break my idea down to its core, only without the laser guns and the force, but that would be totally cool too.

Something a little goofy as a change of pace, but still totally (I see it, and I'm keeping it) kick ass.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Turambar
@pyromagnestir said:

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@jelekeloy said:

I guess I was thinking something more along the lines of Star Wars: Total War, to break my idea down to its core, only without the laser guns and the force, but that would be totally cool too.

Actually, now that I think about it, considering how fights end up working out in Dynasty Warriors Gundam (giant waves and masses of mass production units), Gundam: Total War, would be thematically fitting.  Oh god, I just ruined all future Total War games for myself.
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@jelekeloy said:

Actually, now that I think about it, considering how fights end up working out in Dynasty Warriors Gundam (giant waves and masses of mass production units), Gundam: Total War, would be thematically fitting. Oh god, I just ruined all future Total War games for myself.

Holy shit! Giant armies made up of giant robots fighting with swords! YES!!!!!!!!!!! Cavalry would ride on giant robot horses and they could fight in space! I like this.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Winternet

@Turambar: You can dress it however you want. They released 3 full retail games in 3 years. I find it a tad too much. That's it. But, hey, you guys are happy with that and you're the ones buying them so they must be doing something right.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Turambar
@pyromagnestir said:

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Turambar said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@jelekeloy said:

Actually, now that I think about it, considering how fights end up working out in Dynasty Warriors Gundam (giant waves and masses of mass production units), Gundam: Total War, would be thematically fitting. Oh god, I just ruined all future Total War games for myself.

Holy shit! Giant armies made up of giant robots fighting with swords! YES!!!!!!!!!!! Cavalry would ride on giant robot horses and they could fight in space! I like this.

You have no idea.
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Turambar: All right now whatever they do I'm gonna be really disappointed.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By alistercat

Anyone want to do a mini GB meetup at Rezzed?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By alistercat

@AlexW00d said:

@AlisterCat said:

I wanna do the same, but it'd cost like 3 times the price of the the ticket to get in to actually travel to Brighton.

I am lucky enough to live there and or near there.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MocBucket62
@AlisterCat: Dude, I would freaking love to meet up at Rezzed to see what each company has in store. I am away though for a volunteer project that I'm looking forward too while Rezzed takes place.