• 102 results
#1 Edited by bigsmoke77 (783 posts) -

From G4 Facebook:

G4's two longest-running and defining series, Attack of the Show! and X-Play, will be ending their run at the end of 2012. Both shows will include original episodes through the end of the year, and will look back at their most memorable moments as we lead up to their final episodes.

A rotating lineup of guest co-hosts including John Barrowman, Michael Ian Black, Josh Myers, Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel and Horatio Sanz will join AOTS hosts Candace Bailey andSara Underwood, and X-Play hosts Morgan Webb and Blair Herter as part of the farewell shows.

With well over a thousand episodes each, Attack of the Show! and X-Play have defined gamer culture for a generation, serving as the launch pad for prominent personalities including Kevin Pereira, Olivia Munn, Chris Hardwick and Adam Sessler. Attack of the Show! debuted March 28, 2005 and from the start was the ultimate guide to everything cool and new in the world of technology, web culture, gaming and pop culture. X-Play made its debut almost two years earlier, on April 28, 2003 (on G4’s previous incarnation: TechTV), and immediately became the go-to destination for young men seeking the latest video game news, honest reviews, hands-on demos and exclusive video game trailers and footage. The year-end celebration will take you back through highlights of these landmark shows' history, including its exclusive live-from-the-floor coverage of San Diego Comic-Con and E3.

Both long-running shows helped define, as well as expand, the pop culture and gaming TV experience for a generation. We hope you've had as much fun watching them as we have had making them, and sincerely hope you join us in bidding a fond farewell to Attack of the Show and X-Play's as we look back over the next two months and head towards each series' finale.

#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

It still stings thinking about what happened to a once fine network.

#3 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

I read this and immediately thought "so, what are they gonna run instead... COPS all day?"

And then I realized that's probably pretty accurate.

#4 Posted by Kaiserreich (681 posts) -

meh

#5 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@murisan said:

I read this and immediately thought "so, what are they gonna run instead... COPS all day?"

+ Ninja Warrior, come on now

#6 Posted by LikeaSsur (1487 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@murisan said:

Don't forget their "Movies that Don't Suck" block.

#7 Edited by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

This has been a long time coming. Sessler's departure from X-Play pretty much put the writing on the wall. I had mixed feelings about the production of both shows, but it's sad to see that the pure tech/gaming angle that used to dominate on TechTV wasn't able to survive. Oh well, at least we have the Internet

Edit: Does this mean Joey Greco is going to host his own show now? He might as well. Or he could just do a Tosh.0 emcee thing for Cops

#8 Posted by Delta_Ass (3246 posts) -

Attack of the Show was horrible dog shit. Specially when they had Olivia Munn.

#9 Posted by iceman228433 (572 posts) -

I would to at this point but it is kind of sad, end of an era kind of thing even though I have not watched either in along time.

#10 Posted by Shaka999 (447 posts) -

@LikeaSsur: Too bad they didn't do the same for TV.

#11 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

Aren't they attempting to rebrand the network? That would probably explain why they've cancelled their two most popular shows.

#12 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2130 posts) -

Good riddance.

#13 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

Weren't these shows de facto cancelled by G4 not existing next year anyway?

@MariachiMacabre said:

It still stings thinking about what happened to a once fine network.

Yeah, I miss TechTV too. Way better than any of the shit that ever aired on G4.

#14 Posted by mosespippy (3982 posts) -

It's amazing those shows lasted even this long. Personally, I haven't looked at G4's content since Klepek and Pfister left for EGM.

#15 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

G4 died along time ago.

#16 Posted by bigsmoke77 (783 posts) -
#17 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1079 posts) -

This is the channel that made E3 accessable to the average gamer. A pretty sad bit of news.

#18 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -
#19 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

@DrDarkStryfe said:

This is the channel that made E3 accessable to the average gamer. A pretty sad bit of news.

This is also the channel that cut to a fucking commercial break during the Halo 3 trailer at the end of Microsoft's 2007 conference. Never forgive, never forget.

#20 Posted by Hansolol (353 posts) -

Xplay was bad even when Sessler was on it. Their attempts at humor were painful to witness. Also, listen to Blair Herter talk about games for 2 seconds and tell me that dude goes home and actually plays games for fun. All of his interviews were like, "yeah, wow that's interesting....so uh...this looks...fun I think" And AOTS deserves some sort of demonic purge or something considering what it did for the monster known as Olivia Munn. DIAF everyone who had a hand in that garbage.

#21 Posted by Example1013 (4833 posts) -

FREE MXC

#22 Posted by Example1013 (4833 posts) -

also funny how people complain about the treatment of women in video games, then turn around and say downright spiteful shit about Olivia Munn

#23 Posted by hwy_61 (920 posts) -

Awesome. More time slots for COPS and CHEATERS.

#24 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2130 posts) -

@DrDarkStryfe said:

That doesn't really change the fact that it was always lowest common denominator bullshit aimed at douchebags and man children. The only nice things I can say about it is that it kept Sessler and Klepek employed.(for a time)

#25 Edited by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

Was really the only two shows that I had ever watched on the network, most of the other programs were garbage.

#26 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -
@murisan said:

That sounds like the best channel of all time.
#27 Edited by hanktherapper (370 posts) -

I stopped watching XPlay when they kept having one of the really fat, ugly producer prancing around shirtless.

#28 Posted by Video_Game_King (35828 posts) -

@bigsmoke77 said:

From G4 Facebook:

Attack of the Show! and X-Play have defined gamer culture for a generation

#29 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

Attack of the Show was horrible dog shit. Specially when they had Olivia Munn.

If you preferred it after, you must be the dog that shat that shit, because it was fine with her. Now it's just offensive. Not offensively bad, just plain offensive.

#30 Posted by Daiphyer (1303 posts) -

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Morgan Webb :'(

#31 Posted by Hansolol (353 posts) -

@Example1013: I would hope the people rallying against the way most females are portrayed in the media today would also rally against Olivia Munn. She doesn't get a pass as a strong female involved in games just because she's holding a microphone that says G4 on it. I mean, c'mon, what positive message was she sending diving into jello in a bikini? Or what about the whole choking down a bratwurst without using her hands? Gross.

#32 Posted by AndrewB (7444 posts) -

@Hansolol said:

Xplay was bad even when Sessler was on it. Their attempts at humor were painful to witness.

I hate to say it because I love and respect Adam Sessler, but this is true (at least it was back in the day when I actually got TechTV and later G4 for a brief period).

Welp, that's it for G4. Gamespot TV/Extended Play/Xplay was the only show left from when the network was something. Attack of the Show was very briefly the extension of The Screensavers, although they were only using it to launch a new show and retain some of the viewers of the most popular thing on the network at the time. So this is finally where TechTV gets laid to rest, only 8 years after its demise.

#33 Posted by Example1013 (4833 posts) -

@Hansolol said:

@Example1013: I would hope the people rallying against the way most females are portrayed in the media today would also rally against Olivia Munn. She doesn't get a pass as a strong female involved in games just because she's holding a microphone that says G4 on it. I mean, c'mon, what positive message was she sending diving into jello in a bikini? Or what about the whole choking down a bratwurst without using her hands? Gross.

Doesn't it ever get tiring to send out misdirected anger like that? I'd figure after a while people would just be done with it and move on to better things.

#34 Posted by Hansolol (353 posts) -

@Example1013: Did that come off as angry? I was just analyzing your previous statement.

#35 Posted by Mystyr_E (1187 posts) -

Would rather not have anyone lose their jobs but both shows have become shitty for a long time.

#36 Edited by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -

It's bittersweet so say the least. After the Sess' departure X-Play lost credibility with me and I haven't been watching as frequently as I used to.

#37 Posted by bigsmoke77 (783 posts) -

@Example1013: She used her sexuality to try and grow in the entertainment industry and that was frowned upon by the "gamers" while you look at Veronica Belmont or others who are just females and are part of the gaming/tech culture and don't try and "sex" it up.

#38 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@Example1013 said:

also funny how people complain about the treatment of women in video games, then turn around and say downright spiteful shit about Olivia Munn

My introduction to her was her saying "Well, I have a vagina, so obviously I'm not going to play" during the G4 preview of Guitar Hero III in '07. Like, actually said that, and then got off screen as quickly as possible. She has yet to impress me beyond "Wow, she's holding back the perception of the female gamer." Sara Underwood is a Playmate of the Year and I'd argue she's done more for treatment of women in the industry than Olivia Munn. I actually kind of like Olivia for her energy, but I'd say that those who regularly get angry about the treatment of women in the games industry probably should revile Ms. Olivia Munn.

I hope that Morgan Webb manages to find another high-profile job in the industry, though. She's smart, and she actually managed to keep up with Adam.

Also, I joked that Blair Herter ends up running IGN, but MAYBE THAT REALLY DOES HAPPEN.

#39 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

Whatever happened to Adam Sessler? I admit to not really investigating but did he ever land anywhere after leaving G4 or is he still freelancing?

#40 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

I wonder if they will be able to do anything with XPlay after G4 gets eaten by this GQ inspired channel. I assume not because the rights will probably be owned by the channel still and that's just messed up. I hope Morgan Webb and all the others at XPlay land on their feet. It's weird to think that I've spent over ten of the past years considering their opinions on video games. XPlay will always have a special place in my heart. Best luck and well wishes to all involved.

#41 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

Good, they need to make room for more Cheaters and Cops.

#42 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -
#43 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

Good riddance.

#44 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@Animasta said:

@murisan said:

Indeed, this network will be quite the powerhouse now won't it? I won't be surprised if their ratings double and they manage to get 10 whole people watching them on any given night!

#45 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

It was time. Put it out of their misery. Haven't watched since Tommy Tallarico and Victor Lucas run Judgement Day

#46 Posted by Ben_H (3294 posts) -
@CrossTheAtlantic said:

Remember The Screen Savers?

:( 

This made me think of the glory days of TechTV. When you could turn on that channel and watch it the whole day with no repeated shows and all good programming. Old X-Play back then was actually pretty good, and there was Electric Playground (which was only about games mostly) and the various Victor Lucas/Tommy Tallarico review shows. It was when G4 took over that things started to go downhill.  At least on G4TV Canada they still show Call for Help and the Lab with Leo in the early mornings, and not nearly as much Cops or any of that crap.
#47 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@murisan said:

@bigsmoke77 said:

@murisan: From Kotaku article:

The rumor is that the network will shift to something more like an "Esquire" or "GQ" channel. This aligns with reports that NBC Universal was looking to rebrand the channel as a lifestyle network focused on "the modern male."

Isn't that what Spike already is or some shit?

No, if the new G4 were a person it would wear a suit all day. If the Spike channel were a person it would wear jean shorts and a backwards cap on. They have shows like Manswers and they frequently run Star Wars marathons during the holidays. Definitely not a GQ style channel.

#48 Posted by Illuminosopher (317 posts) -

oh no! not the shows that shat down gaming's throat wherever will we do.

#49 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2115 posts) -

@Hansolol said:

Xplay was bad even when Sessler was on it. Their attempts at humor were painful to witness. Also, listen to Blair Herter talk about games for 2 seconds and tell me that dude goes home and actually plays games for fun. All of his interviews were like, "yeah, wow that's interesting....so uh...this looks...fun I think" And AOTS deserves some sort of demonic purge or something considering what it did for the monster known as Olivia Munn. DIAF everyone who had a hand in that garbage.

Yay!! People who don't know shit about someone making wild assumptions!!

Go listen to Blair Herter on the Indoor Kids Podcast and tell me he doesn't know anything.

Also, fuck you all I loved X-Play's "sketches"

AOTS introduced me to Kevin Pereira so I'll miss it for that but I stopped watching regularly a couple years ago and when he left it was pretty much over.

#50 Posted by RainbowCarnage (97 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@Animasta said:

@murisan said:

And Campus PD. Which is basically exactly like the show Cops, except nothing interesting ever happens : /