G4 Expands Editorial Staff

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

So if you've been keeping an eye on G4 you may have noticed that they have been making some changes to their site and the way it is handled. Previously Adam Sessler was named editor-in-chief of G4's game content for the network and it appears they are making some more changes yet. Billy Berman, the  Director of Gaming Editorial for G4 Interactive, has announced that they are adding staff to their network. These additions include:

Sterling McGarvey
– Senior Reviews/Previews Editor (Formerly GameSpy.com)
Andrew “Skip” Pfister – Senior Games Editor (Formerly 1UP, Electronic Games Monthly, and more)
Patrick Klepek – News Editor (Formerly MTV Multiplayer Blog, 1UP, and GamingAge)
Jake Gaskill – Feed Writer (Former X-Play reviewer, WebbAlert.com, Mean)

This is really interesting G4, and if you start to take yourself more seriously I might pay more attention to you. But congratulations to those that got hired, I know that it's getting tough to find work in this industry. Check out the details over here! 

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Shadow

G4 has an editorial staff?  I thought that whole company was nothing but TV personalities and interns

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive

i dont have g4 anymore. i really enjoyed xplay and attack of the show was entertaining (sometimes)

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By azteris

I really wish they would have enough power to create a show on G4 that was worth watching (or return X-Play to it's TechTV glory).

Sadly, I severely doubt G4 will let this happen, they're too busy going after the SpikeTV crowd.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By papercut

I miss Judgment Day...

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Gunner
papercut said:
"I miss Judgment Day..."
that and cheat!. Not with the new bitch, but with the nerdy looking guy.
CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By CenturionCajun

I frankly hated both of those shows. I don't miss them.

This is a good step for G4 in getting back into concentrating on video games. The attempt to appeal to the Spike TV crowd has diluted the entire original premise of the network. All I ask for is an hour long X-Play and I'll be happy.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By matthew

I like how G4 is making an attempt at getting the industry to a level where it needs to be.  Actually hiring a staff that has years dedicated to covering their field is a solid step in the right direction.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Didn't they just lay off some people!?

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

I lost faith in G4, way back in 2006.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VWGTI

It'll be interesting to see if they can make enough changes to where they actually appeal to gamers. Right now they show looks and feels like something that belongs on MTV.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By iamjohn

Wow, Sterling, Skip, and Klepek?  That's a pretty fucking good expansion!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"Didn't they just lay off some people!?"
Yes, that's what makes this new hire (impressive as it is) so odd.  Admittedly, these people are coming on board just in time for the E3 coverage this June, but X-Play and Attack of the Show did lay off a bunch of people recently and cut their episodes to 3 new per week for X-Play and 4 new for AOTS.  Anyway, I'm familiar with a lot of the folks they hired either from their former websites or podcasts, and I see the hand of Sessler in their hires.  Like him or not, he's been around the games press long enough to know a lot of people, and being able to hire other quality game journalists to work for the network is a good move in my book.

I'd like to see G4 return to it's video game content heavy schedule, but it isn't going to happen.  There aren't enough gamers watching the network for that to happen.  And TechTV is dead.  It's been dead for years.  It was owned by Ziff-Davis Media, the same poorly managed company that let EGM die.  Even if the Comcast merger had never happened chances are the network would be dead today anyway.  At least X-Play is still around, and all the other old employees have found work in other areas. 
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Shadow said:
"G4 has an editorial staff?  I thought that whole company was nothing but TV personalities and interns"
Well someone has to write the reviews for X-play, and someone has to present them. However it should be noted that Adam Sessler does in fact write his reviews, but not all of the times. I mean it's no different than the way Gametrailers uses one narrator for reviews, one for previews, ect.

Kou_Leifoh said:
"I lost faith in G4, way back in 2006."
Okay so if you are going to commit to a Floccinaucinihilipilification on this forum I'm going to ask that you at least add some orginality to your claims (how about you use some interesting adverbs?). Yes we all know that G4 went south a long time ago, but does that really mean that you aren't willing to give them a second chance to make up for lost time?

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By inkeiren

X-play is often better than what else is on TV. Even if X-play is not spectacular, I think pretty much everyone here agrees with that.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By mracoon

Those are actually some game journalists that I like so it'll be good to see what they can do.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Vinchenzo

G4 sucks big penis.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mooshu

FASTLANE

TONIGHT AT 8/7 CENTRAL ON G4.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Vinchenzo said:
"G4 sucks big penis."
See this is another example of an unsatisfactory floccinaucinihilipilification. Hmm how about some intransitive verbs or how about  more adverbs enhancing adjectives.
NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NukeGoBoom

Andrew Pfister is a great choice.I heard him on 1up yours/Listen Up a lot.
Patrick Klepek is only there becouse they pay even more than MTV.
All the rest are faggots i dont care about.But hey if they would clone Adam Sessler 5 times i wouldnt have it any other way.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#21  Edited By Vinchenzo
ZombiePie said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"G4 sucks big penis."
See this is another example of an unsatisfactory floccinaucinihilipilification. Hmm how about some intransitive verbs or how about  more adverbs enhancing adjectives. "
If you think G4 is good TV, or even mediocre, then you're part of the problem. You are the reason G4 is like this today.
NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NukeGoBoom
Vinchenzo said:
"ZombiePie said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"G4 sucks big penis."
See this is another example of an unsatisfactory floccinaucinihilipilification. Hmm how about some intransitive verbs or how about  more adverbs enhancing adjectives. "
If you think G4 is good TV, or even mediocre, then you're part of the problem. You are the reason G4 is like this today."
BUT THIS ISNT THE TV NETWORK.
ITS THE WEBSITE EDITORIAL.THE BLOG. LIKE THE FEED AND SHIT.G4 IS AGREABLY CASUAL BUT YOU SHOULDNT ACT SO ELITIST ABOUT THIS.
CAPS LOCK IS FUN.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff
Vinchenzo said:
"ZombiePie said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"G4 sucks big penis."
If you think G4 is good TV, or even mediocre, then you're part of the problem. You are the reason G4 is like this today."
I'm not making that argument, I'm merely pointing out that I find your floccinaucinihilipilification unsatisfactory. But being called part of the problem is probably one of the greatest compliments I have received today, so thank you!
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King
Shadow said:
"G4 has an editorial staff?  I thought that whole company was nothing but TV personalities and interns"
I had no idea people worked there. How can you tell with the G4 lineup :P? (What has happened to you, G4?)
MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrGetBonus

I miss portal :( Interesting to see they got Pfister though. We'll see how this turns out...

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Systech

I like all of these guys. I'm probably going to follow G4 again.

bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bartholomew999

I like seeing Sterling's name on that list.  I alwyas enjoyed his stuff at Gamespy.

As for the G4 is shit debate?  Personally I don't mind it.  I can take or leave most of AOTS, but I enjoy XPlay a fair bit.  Just saying that they are shit or are "part of the problem" is craziness.  What problem?  That not everyone is not as cool as you?  Sounds lame to me.

If the Bombcast ever goes video or if the Giantbomb guys got a TV deal I'd definitiely choose that over G4, but that's not the case yet. 

Question ; if the bombcast ever went TV, would that mean that Brad couldn't bitch-out on the drink taste tests anymore?  ;)

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CenturionCajun

They need to get rid of the dead weight on X-play and take it back to its roots. Mr. Sark, Tsquared, Kristin Adams, and most especially Blaire Hurter all need to go. Hurter and Adams' awkward reading of the teleprompter and lack of comedic timing ruin the experience and Sark and Tsquared are incredible douches. Bring in one or two of these new guys would make the show seem much more legit.

bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bartholomew999
CenturionCajun said:
"They need to get rid of the dead weight on X-play and take it back to its roots. Mr. Sark, Tsquared, Kristin Adams, and most especially Blaire Hurter all need to go. Hurter and Adams' awkward reading of the teleprompter and lack of comedic timing ruin the experience and Sark and Tsquared are incredible douches. Bring in one or two of these new guys would make the show seem much more legit."

I agree that Kirstin Adams and T-Squared should go bye-bye, but Mr. Sark seems pretty solid to me.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King
bartholomew999 said:
"

I like seeing Sterling's name on that list.  I alwyas enjoyed his stuff at Gamespy.

As for the G4 is shit debate?  Personally I don't mind it.  I can take or leave most of AOTS, but I enjoy XPlay a fair bit.  Just saying that they are shit or are "part of the problem" is craziness.  What problem?  That not everyone is not as cool as you?  Sounds lame to me.

If the Bombcast ever goes video or if the Giantbomb guys got a TV deal I'd definitiely choose that over G4, but that's not the case yet. 

Question ; if the bombcast ever went TV, would that mean that Brad couldn't bitch-out on the drink taste tests anymore?  ;)

"
My problem would be that for a game channel, they barely have any video game related shows. What happened to them all :(?
CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CenturionCajun

Their ratings were tanking. In an effort to bring them up they tried to transition to a more male oriented programing line-up ala Spike TV. That has met with mixed success and the general alienation of their former following.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
ZombiePie said:
Kou_Leifoh said:
"I lost faith in G4, way back in 2006."
Okay so if you are going to commit to a Floccinaucinihilipilification on this forum I'm going to ask that you at least add some orginality to your claims (how about you use some interesting adverbs?). Yes we all know that G4 went south a long time ago, but does that really mean that you aren't willing to give them a second chance to ZombiePie said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"G4 sucks big penis."

make up for lost time?"

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

I only liked Cinematech.