#1 Edited by Nightriff (4972 posts) -

Link

So what are they doing? They already cancelled their "big" shows, the personalities left or stayed around long enough to be fired, move on, etc. So what are they going to do with the channel? 24 hours straight of America Ninja Warrior (which is boring compared to the Japanese show)? Do they go back to what they were and try to mend the relationship they had with those few that were loyal to the channel? Just a big WTF in my mind.

What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (8721 posts) -

They currently have none of the people that made G4 what it was. So, any new G4 will be like modern Atari. An entity with the name of something in the past that has no real connection to what made the original what it was.

I've moved on from G4, and it's going to take quite a surprise for me to give it another look.

#3 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

FUCK

#4 Posted by Slag (4222 posts) -

I don't miss G4 one bit, never cared for it, that being said I doubt it will continue to persist like this indefinitely. The cable providers and Satellite guys will start dropping it if it doesn't change.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (8721 posts) -

What if they decided to broadcast Giant Bomb content on G4? :|

Jeff was a host of Attack of the Show once, you know. If this happened, would gaming itself explode?

#6 Posted by GnaTSoL (792 posts) -

Re-re-brand?

I hope they don't expect us to welcome back rehashed AOTS or x-play. Put some effort into your channel, even more so than a cops marathon NBC corp.......

#7 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

This reminds me of back when MTV was actually music videos and music-related shows. Corporations happened to G4.

#8 Posted by TyCobb (1961 posts) -

Wow. I figured something was up since they kept pushing the transition date, but never would have thought completely cancelled. That's pretty damn funny. Esquire completely fucked them over. Completely finished off a dying channel instead of trying to fix it. And now, they are just left with a carcass of a station because no came to remove it.

#9 Posted by wjb (1653 posts) -

G4 is like the other 300 cable channels on television in America.

#10 Posted by Jesna (79 posts) -

Watching the slow devolution of G4 from a channel primarily devoted to video games to some SpikeTV derivative has been a real bummer.

On a somewhat unrelated note, a few weeks ago I found this bizarre livestream that is nothing but the same episode of G4TV.com played on a never ending loop. Found here.

#11 Posted by Warfare (1632 posts) -

@jesna said:

Watching the slow devolution of G4 from a channel primarily devoted to video games to some SpikeTV derivative has been a real bummer.

On a somewhat unrelated note, a few weeks ago I found this bizarre livestream that is nothing but the same episode of G4TV.com played on a never ending loop. Found here.

Wow I got stuck watching that for a while.

#12 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2030 posts) -

No really, that's ok. Someone should pull out the cord.

Big news for fans of Campus PD reruns.

http://www.g4tv.com/shows/

Ignore Attack of the Show because they don't air old episodes. And the only 2 movies are Tekken and Wargames. Also they don't seem to air Cheaters anymore, I didn't even know you could lose the rights to Cheaters

#13 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

The audience they are targeting with the topics the channel was meant for get the content already online for free. And is usually ten times more interesting. Just because they can afford fancy sets doesn't make it worth sitting through TV commercials and paying for the channel. I used to enjoy x-play and aots on the TV channel and Feedback on their site, but all the people I liked it for are long gone. Wish Adam would do a full on podcast again.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14730 posts) -

Cops, Cheaters and random movies. Sounds like quality programming right there.

#15 Edited by bigjeffrey (4910 posts) -

@wjb said:

G4 is like the other 300 cable channels on television in America.

Hell no, Kitchen Impossible is amazing.

#16 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Why?

#17 Posted by ZombiePie (5630 posts) -

I hear that America Ninja Warrior is really popular and makes a boat-load of money for NBC.

On the other hand this is what everyone is going to miss out if the Style Network is axed over G4:

Apologies to The Soup for the Cancellation of 45% of Their Material.

#18 Posted by ZombiePie (5630 posts) -

Also, I find it hilarious that G4 avoids death the same day that John MacAfee "died."

#19 Posted by TonicBH (271 posts) -

I wonder if NBCUniversal has a plan to rerererereboot G4. Then again, I'm on DirecTV which axed the G4 network a year or two ago, so I'm not losing anything.

#20 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (382 posts) -

I'll give it no longer than a year before it gets rererebranded to NBC Sports Network 2

#21 Posted by falserelic (5395 posts) -

Bad boys, Bad boys, what cha going do?

This shit drove me fucking nuts. They played cops so much at times, It makes you forget that G4 is a gaming channel. I used to love G4 back when I was a kid and teen. Gaming felt more fun back then too.

#22 Edited by OurSin_360 (842 posts) -

They have to re-brand it as something, they basically killed G4 and alienated all their fanbase. If i was running G4 i would have kept the core shows and added on some reality things revolving around games in the vein of what SyFy does now. They still keep most of their core shows and just added some original reality type shows that still revolved around the subject matter in some way.(and some that didn't). Just a shitty job maintaining and supporting that network. Look at the feed now, it's all cooking recipes lmao wtf.

I mean throw on some wrestling to get ratings lol.

#23 Edited by spookytapes (263 posts) -

I sorta wish they could do gaming and tech content again. If I had access to a failed cable channel I'd try to do some sort of licensing deals with TWiT, VOX Media, Revision3, CBSi, etc. and just put together a 24 gaming/tech network out of existing web video content with a few carefully placed syndicated shows in-between. Cut it up for commercials and you have high quality low cost content that already has a built in audience. Then you could just have a crew to do stuff from events like E3, CES, Apple pressers, etc. That's the kind of channel I would leave on in the background all the time. Just like I did when TechTV was around. (obviously this isn't profitable enough, since it's already failed once. so please disregard this whole post.)

#24 Posted by billymagnum (777 posts) -

@jesna said:

yeah ive been watching those streams for years now. its not always the same. if you, like me, were a fan of shows like judgement day and g4tv.com, this is the only place to relive their glory.

#25 Posted by SomberOwl (649 posts) -

I remember liking G4 waaay back when I had the station. Right now I don't watch any TV except for Jeopardy. But if I could get shows like the ones they had on G4 I would consider getting cable or satellite again.

#26 Posted by BonOrbitz (2182 posts) -

Bad boys, Bad boys, what cha going do?

This shit drove me fucking nuts. They played cops so much at times, It makes you forget that G4 is a gaming channel. I used to love G4 back when I was a kid and teen. Gaming felt more fun back then too.

Didn't Ryan say on an episode of the Bombcast that he knew someone involved with the production of COPS and that most of it was faked?

#27 Edited by Felorn (12 posts) -

How about going back to the ZDTV/TechTv days by bringing back all the tech oriented shows. Change fresh gear to The Tested, Bring back the Screen Savers, and finally change gamespot tv/ x-play to The GiantBomb Show. Do all of this and you will succeed, I guarantee it!

#28 Posted by falserelic (5395 posts) -

@bonorbitz: I don't know if it's fake I won't be surprise if it is though.

#29 Edited by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -

@felorn said:

How about going back to the ZDTV/TechTv days by bringing back all the tech oriented shows. Change fresh gear to The Tested, Bring back the Screen Savers, and finally change gamespot tv/ x-play to The GiantBomb Show. Do all of this and you will succeed, I guarantee it!

While that all sounds really nice, the reality is that television just isn't the force that it was when TechTV and G4 were first conceived. There just isn't a market for video games and tech on TV, that stuff moved to the internet and will likely stay there.

#30 Edited by Blackout62 (1336 posts) -

What?! No! We were so close! We were all going to dress so much better, and go to all the best clubs, and eat the best food, and all around have the best taste, and date the best people! The Esquire handoff just needed to happen and the slovenly beasts that lie as they call themselves men would be gone!