• 130 results
#1 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

Personally, mine is Paradox Development Studio. I mean, they aren't my favorite studio in the world (Atlus/Obsidian) but I trust them more than any other studio, because they are so transparent with their development that you know if you want a game or not before hand; I preordered CK2 because they released early copies to a few youtube streamers and let them stream as much as they want. i didn't preorder march of the eagles (despite having the most wiki points lol), because the game wasn't interesting to me and I knew that from the developer diaries and what not.

Atlus is also transparent but that's because most of their games come out in Japan a month or three earlier.

So I was just wondering which one y'all trust the most?

#2 Edited by Demoskinos (14730 posts) -

Hmm trust? Probably Valve. Even if they aren't my favorite developer by a long shot they never put out a shoddy product.

#3 Edited by Morningstar (2149 posts) -
#4 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1177 posts) -

Intelligent Systems

#5 Edited by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@morningstar: I love Obsidian too but I can't exactly trust them to make a game that is fun to play (which is sorta important).

#6 Posted by Nodima (1156 posts) -

Rockstar. It's been that way since GTA3, really. You put the big black R with a spur on a box, I'm probably furiously curious.

After that, I couldn't say I have any notable developer loyalties, maybe because I don't play enough games. The NBA 2K series is by far my favorite game and the one thing I know is a must buy every year, but I really don't trust that dev team much at all after the way the series has been moving the past three years, even though Mike Wang is obviously a highly intelligent, creative basketball game developer. I get the feeling the Take Two side of things gets in the way of his creativity, sometimes...and I know he's a PR guy, but Ronnie Singh is a really annoying dude that loves to say "celebs" and spent way too much time fawning over getting Vinny from Jersey Shore in the game last year.

#7 Edited by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

Atlus has never made a game I disliked, so I trust them to make the most quality titles.

Square-Enix I can trust to always try new things, which is something I really appreciate, even if the end product isn't always my favourite thing in the world.

EDIT: Somebody mentioned Blizzard, for some reason I almost totally forgot them. I've never been anything but blown away by the quality of a Blizzard game, and will buy anything they release day 1, almost guaranteed.

#8 Posted by Pr1mus (3857 posts) -

Valve and Rockstar.

They basically read my mind, design their games specifically for my taste and have this incredible attention to details i value.

#9 Edited by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Trust? What does that even mean?

I guess Sucker Punch has never made a bad game so I trust them to continue to make good games, same with Naughty Dog.

#10 Posted by Strife777 (1513 posts) -

Rockstar is the only one I can say definitively off the top of my head. So far, they've never disappointed me.

I guess maybe Naughty Dog, on a "lower" scale.

#11 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@animasta: Depends what you mean by "trust;" such a nebulous term. Anyway the answer used to be Blizzard by a landslide; now I don't really "trust" any developer. Square Enix, Rockstar, Platinum Games, and the Souls team have the most talent; but that doesn't mean they'll be able to release a great game in the near future (Dark Souls 2 probably the closest to a lock). Paradox is reliably Paradox and Firaxis is reliably Firaxis, neither is going to amaze you or stun you with their releases but if you're into Civ you'll like the next Civ game, if you're into Victoria or Hearts of Iron you'll like the next one of those; same generally goes for most turn based strategy games. The King's Bounty Team is solid as is the Heroes of Might and Magic team. Titan is probably going to be pretty good as Tigole's the bossman.

#12 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4187 posts) -

Bungie! Fun fact: Marty O'Donnell also did the Flinstones theme song. :)

#13 Edited by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
#14 Posted by Morningstar (2149 posts) -

@animasta: Yeah, that's and all the bugs mean I don't trust them fully, but have a soft spot for them instead. Not many rpg focused studios these days, gotta support those that are around still.

#15 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3053 posts) -

Platinum. They made Bayonetta, which means if they need my goddamn skin to keep doing what they do, I'm going to have to find a potato peeler and a box to mail it in.

#16 Posted by Morningstar (2149 posts) -

Platinum. They made Bayonetta, which means if they need my goddamn skin to keep doing what they do, I'm going to have to find a potato peeler and a box to mail it in.

You scare me.

#17 Edited by mrfluke (5128 posts) -

bungie, bethesda, platinium games,

#18 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

thatgamecompany? Even if I'm not the biggest fan of Flow or Flower, they at least know how to keep things interesting and each game they've made has been better than the last. I trust that they'll keep doing what they're good at.

There are plenty of indie devs that I trust, because the smaller teams make them feel more personal and I guess people are easier to trust than a company logo. I see McMillen and Refenes in Indie Game and they seem like the kind of guys I'd trust to make good games.

#19 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

GearBox Software they make quality products like Borderlands and ummmm Borderlands 2 and ..

#20 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

CD Projekt RED? Valve? This is a surprisingly tough question.

#21 Posted by BisonHero (6401 posts) -

Supergiant Games? They haven't made a bad game yet! And Greg Kasavin is an awesome dude.

Seriously you guys, I really, really liked Bastion.

#22 Posted by Slag (4222 posts) -

Nintendo I guess?

Their first party games are rarely anything less pretty darn good.

#23 Edited by Hector (3357 posts) -

Bungie, and Sucker Punch. Solid games, solid studios.

#24 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

EA, I trust that they will always be assholes.

#25 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

They're not my favourite developers (that honour goes to Obsidian), but Rockstar, Blizzard and Valve are always safe bets.

@nodima said:

Rockstar. It's been that way since GTA3, really. You put the big black R with a spur on a box, I'm probably furiously curious.

Just checking but...you know that spur is a star, right? That said, Rockspur also has a nice ring to it.

#26 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Great, now I have that mental image stuck in my head right before I try and go to sleep. Curse you!

#27 Posted by mellotronrules (1180 posts) -

probably valve- i mean, i'm kinda compelled to say that because i've thrown the most money at them via steam, and they haven't done me wrong yet. and i like all their games.

#28 Edited by mrfluke (5128 posts) -

oh ill also add netherealm studios. MK9 was the best MK ever,

#29 Edited by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

That's actually a tough question. How do you separate favorite from trust? If you trust them, wouldn't that make them if not your favorite, at least one of your favorites? Anyway, i can't think of just one but square sticks out in my mind for some reason. They have been putting out a lot of quality titles lately. So i would say square is a company i trust to make a game that i'm pretty confident would be pretty good.

#30 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@gogosox82: I mean paradox for me is #3, but it's like... New Vegas and Alpha Protocol are some of my favorite games ever. That doesn't mean they don't have problems. I trust Obsidian to make a good story, to be sure, but not to make a good game necessarily.

#31 Posted by Ezakael (930 posts) -

CD Projekt for giving us the Witcher games and the fact that they seem to be the only developer that is against horrible DRM.

#32 Posted by Toxin066 (3271 posts) -

Platinum Games. The new crowned kings of the stylish action genre.

#33 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

EA / EA Sports. Always top notch, always on time, never lacking anything.

#34 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

@animasta: That's probably why I didn't say obsidian. I love their games but sometimes actually playing the game isn't as fun as I'd like it to be. Playing New Vegas on the PS3 was not a fun experience at launch.

#35 Posted by Nodima (1156 posts) -

@mandude said:

They're not my favourite developers (that honour goes to Obsidian), but Rockstar, Blizzard and Valve are always safe bets

@nodima said:

Just checking but...you know that spur is a star, right? That said, Rockspur also has a nice ring to it.

Hah, yea, it just reminds me how the Spurs do their logo.

#36 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

Lionhead and bioware!

#37 Posted by TangoUp (307 posts) -

I don't trust 'companies'. I don't know them personally. And they tend to do innocuous things like remove single player bonuses (Uncharted 3) or produce a trainwreck (Gran Turismo 5). So 'trust' is on a game by game basis.

@_chad said:

EA, I trust that they will always be assholes.

Haha, burrrnnn.

#38 Posted by cclemon36 (180 posts) -

CD Projekt RED, they always seem to do right by their fans.

#39 Edited by Tajasaurus (828 posts) -

Rockstar is the first one that comes to mind. Also Bethesda to a degree, I guess.

#40 Edited by AlecOfTheWest (278 posts) -

Rockstar, without a doubt.

#41 Edited by BeachThunder (11802 posts) -

Even the best developers make poor decisions...

#42 Posted by rentacop (107 posts) -

The ones I trust most:

Santa Monica Studio

Thatgamecompany

Valve

Rockstar

They all have a very high % of games I'm fond of even if that number is limited.

#43 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

Rockstar and Naughty Dog, never doubt these two to make fantastic games with entertaining characters.

#44 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

Bethesda. Obsidian I know they fuck up some times but I still really believe in them and why they try to do. 2 years ago I would have said Bioware but things have taken a real quick turn for the worst for those guys.

#45 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4965 posts) -

If there's any developer I could trust, that would be Atlus.

#46 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2498 posts) -

It hasn't always been this way, but...

From now on, until they - if they - ever make a bad Persona game.

#47 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4360 posts) -

Quite a few. Valve is probably number 1. As much shit as they get, Blizzard has yet to let me down.

NIS, Compile Heart, Idea Factory and Atlus also have yet to let me down. If they have, it clearly wasn't important enough for me to remember lol. Granted, they don't always make the "best" games, but I don't think I've ever regretted anything I've bought from anyone of them.

#48 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

bethesda

wtf is up with people not understanding what the word "trust" means?

#49 Edited by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

It used to be BioWare. For me BioWare was = Quality games that I enjoyed, around Dragon Age:Origins/Mass Effect 1 and 2. Now that relationship was broken with Dragon Age 2 and very unfortunately, SWTOR.

#50 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

Valve. Would've included Blizzard as well before D3.