#1 Posted by EVO (3921 posts) -
Playstation.Blog said:

" Yesterday marked the 10-year anniversary of the PlayStation 2 in North America, so we thought it would be fun to ask a few high-profile game developers and journalists to name their top three “must play” PS2 games. Word quickly spread, the project swelled in scope, and the result is what you see here — a definitive list of “must-play” PS2 games by some of the greatest living game developers in the business.

A few quick numbers: Ico earned the most mentions at six, while Grand Theft Auto III and Shadow of the Colossus tied with five mentions. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, God of War, Okami, and Katamari Damacy were also popular picks. "

I just read this article and found it really interesting to read what game developers think of other game developers game. In particular, Disney's Creative Director, Warren Spector had a lot to say about Ico which gave me a new found appreciation for that game. Speaking of which, I've always thought it's better than Shadow of the Colossus and I was stoked to see it listed more than any other game. Is it simply because less people have played Ico?

Here's my top 3:
  1. Rez - If you showed someone a video of Rez with no prior knowledge of the game, and asked them what year they think it came out, they'd probably have a hard time. Aside from the soundtrack, there's really no giveaway that it was released on the Dreamcast in 2001. The vector graphics are timeless and the rail shooting still holds up. This is a must play not only on the PS2, but also the Dreamcast and 360. Everyone must play Rez.
  2. Ico - Warren Spector talked a lot about feel - the first time you hold Yorda's hand in Ico, how you can almost feel her touch, how this feeling gives you a connection with the character, how the world feels previously inhabited and how to this day, no game can match this depth. While I disagree on that last statement (Heavy Rain made me feel for it's characters), Ico is rivaled only by Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2 and is a must play.
  3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 - It's a tough choice between 3, 4 and Underground, since they're all video game crack, but 4 had my favourite levels.

So, what are your top 3 must play PS2 games?
#2 Posted by AlisterCat (5644 posts) -
  • God of War
  • The Warriors
  • Persona 4

Unordered because it's a lot more arbitrary than that. Plus there are too many to put in a top 3.
#3 Posted by EVO (3921 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:
" there are too many to put in a top 3. "
Yeah, listing only 3 is hard but games like GTA III, Vice City & San Andreas, Gran Turismo 3 & 4, God of War I & II etc all games that polled a lot, I think have been made obsolete by their sequels. 
#4 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

There's so many great games on the PS2 that I can't possibly make a top three. I would certainly include God Hand, Timesplitters Future Perfect and Tekken Tag Tournament but seeing how this is just off the top of my head, they're not my genuine top three.

#5 Posted by RobotHamster (4175 posts) -

Don't know if I could narrow it down to my top three but Shadow of the colossus is definitely number one.  Probably god of war second and either metal gear solid 2 or 3, kingdom hearts 1 or 2, any of the ratchets, jaks or slys, and many many others.

#6 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (hey it used to be exclusive) 
- Persona 4  
- Metal Gear Solid 2

I think Persona 4 is the best game on the system, also one of the newest I believe. 

Edit: I'd have listed Persona 3 but that has been made redundant by Persona 3: Portable, which is much better I think.

@EVO

said:

" @AlisterCat said:

" there are too many to put in a top 3. "

Yeah, listing only 3 is hard but games like GTA III, Vice City & San Andreas, Gran Turismo 3 & 4, God of War I & II etc all games that polled a lot, I think have been made obsolete by their sequels.  "  
Disagree really, God of War 3 wasn't as good as the past games, same with GTA IV, better than III, worse than San Andreas and Vice City.
#7 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1497 posts) -

Thats a tricky one.
#8 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3487 posts) -
#9 Posted by Daneian (1246 posts) -

- Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
- Final Fantasy 12
- Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

#10 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Lots of Katamari Damacy claims, I think I'd have to agree with that one.  The 1st Katamari is so damn special and unique.

Glad to see Culdcept up there by Ken Levine, but I didn't get into Culdcept until Saga on 360.

#11 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
Dark Cloud 2 - It’s Diablo meets Sim City meets Tiger Woods Golf meets Pokemon.
That might be the greatest description of anything ever.

This is tricky. I'll have to think about this one. Unfortunately, there are still many great PS2 games that I've yet to play.
#12 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

1. Persona 3: best game I've ever played. But I think it's also important because it proves that even when the next gen of consoles was already happening in full force, the PS2 refused to go away, and there were still some great games being made for it.

2.Nocturne: good game.
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Also good game.

Of course, there are still a lot of games I need to play on the PS2. I love it so much. <3

#13 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

Ratchet & Clank
Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando 
Jak 2 

#14 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Ratchet and Clank 1 
Jak 3 
Sly 3 

Platforming trio represent. Star Wars battlefront was fucking awesome too but I played those games so many hours that.. yeah.

#15 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2913 posts) -

My Top Three

If we just mean exclusives...
- SOCOM US NAVY SEALS II
- Ico
- Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies

If we mean anything....then add Bully to the list instead of Ico      

#16 Posted by Goopynose (62 posts) -

Shrek: Superparty

AMF Extreme Bowling 2006

Miami Vice

#17 Posted by Blair (2513 posts) -

Final Fantasy X
Persona 4
Metal Gear Solid 3

#18 Posted by RecSpec (3864 posts) -

Gitaroo Man.
Metal Gear Solid 3
Digital Devil Saga

#19 Posted by EVO (3921 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
"
Dark Cloud 2 - It’s Diablo meets Sim City meets Tiger Woods Golf meets Pokemon.
That might be the greatest description of anything ever.  This is tricky. I'll have to think about this one. Unfortunately, there are still many great PS2 games that I've yet to play. "
Yeah, that made me wanna play Dark Cloud 2. Have I gotta play the original first?
#20 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@EVO: Nope. There doesn't seem to be any need to play the original. I never got very far into it, mind you. I really should get back to it though. I do recall enjoying it.
#21 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

mgs 3 subsistance  
Final fantasy X 
zone of the enders 2 

#22 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -

Persona 4
SMT3: Nocturne
FFXII

#23 Edited by Nate (705 posts) -

MGS 3  Subsistence
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War 2

#24 Posted by wwfundertaker (1404 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 
GTA Vice City 
FFXii

#25 Edited by ProfessorEss (7451 posts) -
#26 Posted by dr_pineapple (197 posts) -

The Jak and Daxter series (1-3) need to be experienced. Those games seriously changed my life.

#27 Posted by nick_verissimo (1391 posts) -

This is an impossible task!  But I guess my top three would be: 
1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. 
2. Persona 3  
3. Jak 2 

I'd put RE4 on here, but that's a multi-platform game, so it doesn't seem right to add it.

#28 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -
  • Okami
  • God of War II
  • Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
  • Bonus Pick - Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves

Those are probably the three I would tell people to play today. As much nostalgic love as I have for the older GTA games, I played San Andreas recently and man, it was rough. That gameplay style definitely has not aged well.
#29 Edited by TNK1 (83 posts) -

GTA San Andreas(Best GTA ever! 4 is too boring. PS2 best version next to PC version)
Devil May Cry 3 (Hard and Satisfying Gameplay)
Tekken 4 or 5(Hard to choose)

Also Honorary Mention Def Jam Fight For New York(Great Game this was before mainstream rap went to shit completely), Okami(Takes the Zelda Formula and makes it a 100x better.Way better than Twilight Princess)

#30 Posted by ez123 (1968 posts) -
@TNK1 said:
" GTA San Andreas(PS2 best version next to PC version) "
How was the PS2 version better than Xbox?
#31 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Everytime someone says the Persona series is even remotely good, God kills a baby. 

@TNK1 said:

" Tekken 4 or 5(Hard to choose)   "

Why would you even consider Tekken 4? It was by far the worst in the whole series and nothing more than a failed experiment. 

And I agree with Hexogen in that the older GTA games have aged horribly. I also tried playing San Andreas recently and the shooting controls and missions... ugh. Once you've played IV, you can never go back.
#32 Posted by damswedon (3196 posts) -

1. Shadow of the Colossus

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the few games that I consider good enough that I'm willing to show it to people who never play games. Hell my grandma watched me play the game.

2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

While I prefer the characters and plot of Persona 3, 4 has the better gameplay and setting which makes it the better game. To tell the truth they are both combined one of the best JRPGs I have played ever.

3. SSX 3

SSX 3 took the gameplay of the first two SSX games and somehow put them on an almost living breathing mountain. The musical mixing was some of the best I have ever heard in a game and it still has the best snowboarding feel I have ever came across.

#33 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" Everytime someone says the Persona series is even remotely good, God kills a baby. 

@TNK1 said:

Why would you even consider Tekken 4? It was by far the worst in the whole series and nothing more than a failed experiment.  And I agree with Hexogen in that the older GTA games have aged horribly. I also tried playing San Andreas recently and the shooting controls and missions... ugh. Once you've played IV, you can never go back. "
GTA IV's controls suck too.
#34 Posted by TNK1 (83 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" Everytime someone says the Persona series is even remotely good, God kills a baby. 

@TNK1 said:

Why would you even consider Tekken 4? It was by far the worst in the whole series and nothing more than a failed experiment.  And I agree with Hexogen in that the older GTA games have aged horribly. I also tried playing San Andreas recently and the shooting controls and missions... ugh. Once you've played IV, you can never go back. "
I love how u get mad because I said Tekken 4 or 5. I like Tekken 4. It may have been a experiment but it was still fun with levels that have hills and obstacles that were in your way.  GTA4 is only fun until u beat it. Once u beat it there's nothing do do single-player wise. There's no crazy side missions,customization,small city compare to the whole state that San Andreas was,Better Missions,Funny Story which still kept a serious side to it,planes,houses,and more. GTA4 is basically GTA 3 with new graphics,physics,story, and online. Even Chinatown Wars is better than GTA4 and that's a DS and PSP game .
#35 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

Ken Levine surprised me with Dark Cloud 2.

Colossus, San Andreas, MGS3