Game ideas that you wish made a resurgence.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

I really wish car combat games would come back. I really enjoyed the arena deathmatches and unique levels that came from the genre back in the day and wish that they would return. What game idea or genre would you like to see make a resurgence?

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

They just rebooted Twisted Metal this year. Have you played it? It's awesome... a little buggy, but more than I expected.

I want another smart Scooby-Doo game. Cyber Chase was awesome and surprisingly difficult.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By casper_

japanese style SRPG's i guess although they still exist in a really niche type environment where they are kind of stagnating. valkyria chronicles was a nice evolution but that may have been the death throes of that genre.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jay444111

How in fucks name hasn't Tecmo's Deception not make a comeback yet? Trapping people in traps and either eating their souls or killing them for gold should make a damn comeback!

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AcidBrandon18

@Jay444111: This!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

I've had fun here and there with car combat games but the randomness of it all and the inability to strafe has always seriously hurt the genre for me.

I don't so much want a type of game back as I do a mechanic, and that's the ability to hold all of the guns at once in a shooter. Some modern games exist where you can do so (Rage, Resistance 3), but it just keeps bothering me more and more and more when I play shooters. At least more than two, and when I say "more than two", I mean any gun in any slot. Not "assault rifles here, pistols here, shotguns here" bullshit.

Speaking of shotguns, good shotguns. Those also seem to have gotten away. And insanely high ammo limits. Do you have any idea how refreshing it was to hold over 100 shotgun shells in the Doom 3 playthrough I recently finished, or to have over 600 of the suckers in Rage? Why the hell do we need an arbitrary cap of 16 (Resistance!) on a more mundane weapon? I can understand a limit on BFG's but our assault rifles should have more than three clips and a good-luck-do-headshots charm.

Aside from those things, just more open AAA games. Not necessarily as open as Crysis, but I would like more variance in my campaign playthroughs and "moral choice systems" or "pick whether you want to defuse bomb A or knock down tower B" variances don't bloody count. There was a time in Crysis 1 where I ran a huge truck through a house, jumped out, turned invisible, killed a few guys, grabbed a rocket launcher, blew up a truck, and then blew up the helicopter that had been dogging me. That sort of thing was amazing, half because I did it and not the game and half because it will never happen again. That's what I mean by making a game a little more open.

But despite writing this whole post slightly off topic, I can't think of any single genre that I really and honestly want to make a comeback. I could say third-person platformers in the manner of Super Mario 64 and Jak and Daxter, but I'm kidding myself with that one. I probably wouldn't play them much and besides, those mechanics still exist in better form in games like Darksiders 1 and 2 and Prince of Persia. More games could use jumping and better traversal of terrain, but here I am telling what modern mechanics and ideas need to be improved upon instead of mentioning genres again so this ramble stops here.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AcidBrandon18

@NlGHTCRAWLER: I did which is why I made the thread. I didn't understand why the GB staff poo-poo'd the game before it came out. Saying that it didn't make sense to bring a car-combat game out in 2012. I'd rather have a car-combat game in 2012 then another damn modern military shooter. I liked the new Twisted Metal game. I just felt it was a bit miss guided campaign wise.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@AcidBrandon18 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER: I did which is why I made the thread. I didn't understand why the GB staff poo-poo'd the game before it came out. Saying that it didn't make sense to bring a car-combat game out in 2012. I'd rather have a car-combat game in 2012 then another damn modern military shooter. I liked the new Twisted Metal game. I just felt it was a bit miss guided campaign wise.

That's stupid. Twisted Metal was far better than COD or BF. Car-Combats are the highlights of my childhood. Road Rash needs to make a comeback as well.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AcidBrandon18

@believer258: I think the idea behind Resistance's ammo limit was because it was the end of the world and that ammo was supposed to be scarce.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Justin258

@AcidBrandon18 said:

@believer258: I think the idea behind Resistance's ammo limit was because it was the end of the world and that ammo was supposed to be scarce.

Bollocks. It was laying around everywhere, just waiting for me to pick up.

Yes, that would have been a cool idea, but when you're trying to deliver such an idea you're not supposed to then litter it all over the bloody map.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ares42

MMOs based around massively multiplayer interaction, prefferably things like territorial control, housing, city-building etc.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Ace829

It's not really an idea, but there is seriously a lack of dinosaurs in recent years. WTF game industry!?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Ace829 said:

It's not really an idea, but there is seriously a lack of dinosaurs in recent years. WTF game industry!?

The lack of dinosaurs is so totally not dinosaurs. Not dinosaurs at all.

High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By High_Nunez

I always liked the "Ask about" feature in Shadowrun for the Snes. I was about to follow that up with "Yo, they should put out cyberpunk games maaaaan!!", but yea, they're kind already doing that.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ch3burashka

Photography. How the fuck is that not the biggest shit to hit the fan in all of video game history?

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By me3639

This may sound crazy, but i would say text adventure. Using your imagination is a lost art that i think could be interesting, especially with so many talented writers these days.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By TheHT

cheats

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Ace829 said:

Dino D-Day, Orion: Dino Beatdown, Turok, Jurassic: The Hunted, and Primal Carnage all came out this generation, Primal Carnage being the exception because its not out yet and is the only good looking one out of the bunch. But still

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By corruptsaves

It's not too old but i just recently got through Pursuit Force Extreme Justice on PSP, a great car action game that gets quite over the top. Sleeping dogs is using the same mechanic of jumping from car to car and I'm glad to see that on the big screen.

Avatar image for genocidalkitten
GenocidalKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GenocidalKitten

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ace829 said:

Dino D-Day, Orion: Dino Beatdown, Turok, Jurassic: The Hunted, and Primal Carnage all came out this generation, Primal Carnage being the exception because its not out yet and is the only good looking one out of the bunch. But still

But, I want more dinosaurs, I want all the dinosaurs!

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zella

@TheHT said:

cheats

You can thank achievements for the death of them. Man I use to know 4 or 5 of the GTA:SA codes off by heart and could enter them all in seconds.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@GenocidalKitten said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ace829 said:

But, I want more dinosaurs, I want all the dinosaurs!

I'm waiting for a game that combines dinosaurs with robots, giant bugs, zombies, other humans, super agents, huge spaceships, sentient vehicles, etc etc all in one game. Throw in as much random stupid shit as you can (while also being extremely polished) and have maps similar to Timesplitters in that they are all different.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tim_the_corsair

World needs more X-Wing style space sims (give me systems management and whatnot, but fuck this inertia shit right off)

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BionicMonster

the Smuggler's Run games. off-road open-world driving was pretty fun.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By IIGrayFoxII

@BionicMonster: Wow I totally forgot about those games.

I wish there were more turned based strategy RPG's, where position and loadout matter, like older series such as SWAT. Valkryia Chronicles is still an amazing PS3 game for that and X-Com: Enemy Unknown is on its way in October, so the genre isn't completely barren, but I would still like to see more.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hockeymask27

Unlockable items that shouldn't be dlc.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By nightriff

I miss the excitement over music games that I had and even my friends had a few years ago. Even though they weren't into them like I was it was still a load of fun playing Rock Band and stuff with them. I haven't played since my drum set broken (5th or 6th one) and since no one else cared anymore I quit the genre together almost a year ago now, gave my music games away as insurance that I won't fall back into them.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#28  Edited By BeachThunder

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ace829 said:

Don't forget Jurassic Park. Also, there were a bunch of dinosaurs in Penny Arcade 3.

crelio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crelio

Word-parser adventure games, with a modern touch would be sweet. Maybe even have glitched/broken voice to text option for a good laugh.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Zella said:

@TheHT said:

cheats

You can thank achievements for the death of them. Man I use to know 4 or 5 of the GTA:SA codes off by heart and could enter them all in seconds.

Many games have both and disable Achievements when you use cheats. Most Source games (at least the ones I know of) do this, and Tropico 4 has a God Mode gameplay mode that prevents you from unlocking Achievements. I understand that you may not like Achievements, but demonizing them and blaming them for this situation in particular is just not fair. Cheat codes began to disappear in the previous generation, with the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, way before Achievements...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Justin258

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Ace829 said:

King Kong came out on 360. It had a lot of dinosaurs in it, and from what I understand, you spent half of the game running from them and the other half beating the shit out of them with the titular gorilla.