• 103 results
#1 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

By this i mean things about the video game industry you hate. DLC, locked content,yearly sequels.i get it started.

i cant stand allmost every single "Indie" game ever made. these are games that if they came out 15 years ago wouldnt warrant a second look but just because nobody makes 2D platformers anymore people think its the second coming of christ. im tired of hearing about how amazing FEZ and Journey are. i get it. they are artsy games that dont invole killing people or tits. arent you so unique?i can appreciate a game for being what it is it just seems alot of times they try so hard to seem better than everyone else just because they dont have big budgets.

actually i just really hate most Indie devs. they allways sound like they are making some of the most life changing games of all time and about how much better they are than the "mainstream" developers. i know hes not indie but that david cage hack pisses me off to no end. the fucker makes interactive movies and tries to pass them off as games while also having the gall to say anybody who isnt him makes total shit. fuckers.

so how about you fine folks? what game industry stuff pisses you off the most?

#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I'd say ignorant people who dismiss "indie games" due to hype that is generally coming from journalists and not, in fact, the developers.

Especially when those games are dismissed as being mere 2D platformers of the old school vibe or special for the sole reason of a lack of killing and tits, when this often could not be further from the truth (Fez, Braid, Limbo, etc).

Oh, and especially when those games actually are doing things from a gameplay, visual, narrative, etc sense that is unique when compared to the mainstream.

#3 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I slightly hate Bethesda studios... I'm now going to go make a thread why.

Edit: I just did over here...

#4 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: wait,did you just take everything i said and turn it around? so that you basiclly said the exact same thing that i did only the exact opposite?wow.thats impressive. you must have a vasty enhanced brain to handle all of the computing power that required. huh.you even manged to quote me,word for word.im in awe. totaslly speechless. instead of coming up with a counter argument you just repeated what i said and flipped it. fantastic.

Your allright,Tim...Your allright.

#5 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@SexyToad: we dont take kindly to your kind round here. attractive toads spouting thier mouths off about the allmighty lord Bethesda. you best watch yer step.

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Video game media folk who like to dismiss any mass complaint or controversy that us enthusiast peasants are involved with while using terms like "entitled". Recently was prevalent during the whole Mass Effect 3 ending debacle.

#7 Posted by aurahack (2265 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I feel like pointing out that the ME3 debacle was, for the most part, a pretty heavily entitled argument.

Also for as much as I like the genre, I'm getting pretty tired of dubstep in trailers. Putting that as music gives me no indication what the game will sound like or be like. It just tells me you're trying to appeal to me outside of my videogame tastes and that ain't right.

#8 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@DoctorDanger99

@Tim_the_Corsair: wait,did you just take everything i said and turn it around? so that you basiclly said the exact same thing that i did only the exact opposite?wow.thats impressive. you must have a vasty enhanced brain to handle all of the computing power that required. huh.you even manged to quote me,word for word.im in awe. totaslly speechless. instead of coming up with a counter argument you just repeated what i said and flipped it. fantastic.

Congratulations, you worked out that the ignorant person I was referring to was, in fact, you!

Well done sunshine.
#9 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@DoctorDanger99

Congratulations, you worked out that the ignorant person I was referring to was, in fact, you! Well done sunshine.

I was defending the giantbomb community before and now I just don't know man. I just don't know.

#10 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

It bothers me when people get angry over skepticism and write it off as "just looking for something to hate".

#11 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair: lol well played sir!

#12 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -
  • Yearly iterations.
  • Changing the focus of your studio to reflect what (you think) the masses want.
  • The price of console games (or just the price of non-Steam games).
  • Writing off an opinion because enough people share it.
#13 Posted by believer258 (11678 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@DoctorDanger99

Congratulations, you worked out that the ignorant person I was referring to was, in fact, you! Well done sunshine.

I was defending the giantbomb community before and now I just don't know man. I just don't know.

To be fair, completely dismissing indie games is most definitely utter ignorance. I'd say ol' Timmy was pretty justified in being a smart ass.

Anyway, I can't really name on single "industry thing" that I feel like hating on at the moment. Oh, sure, things exist that I strongly dislike, but I just can't say that I feel like discussing them right now. I was going to be an asshole to the OP for dismissing indie games as a whole as not worthy of anything, but that's already been accomplished so...

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36079 posts) -

Not so much hate, but confused and annoyed by: characters in video games being able to eat and drink EVERYTHING. A few examples:

• Pounding down 90 TaPs before facing a boss and not once hearing Teddie moan, "I can't hold it in! It's unbearable!"
  • Empyting my inventory in Skyrim by chowing down on 80 apples I stole earlier that day.
  • Chuck Greene in Dead Rising 2 pukes after three drinks (fucking pussy), but is just fine after shoveling eight frozen pizzas into his mouth.
#15 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Gamers and their overall attitude on the internet is the thing I hate about the industry, close second : game "journos"

#16 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@aurahack said:

@FluxWaveZ: I feel like pointing out that the ME3 debacle was, for the most part, a pretty heavily entitled argument.

There was no entitlement until there was demand for a new ending. Before that, it was people complaining about it because it was a shit ending. The outrage obviously wouldn't have been as huge if that wasn't the majority opinion and the media did their best to make as though nothing was wrong and it was another case of "the Internet being the Internet".

#17 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@believer258: i wasnt dissmissing any and all indie games. just a large majority of them and the fact that it seems like alot of people seem to think that indie games are the only important things going on in gaming and how the whole indie "culture" seems reliant on the idea that they are better than major studios simply because they are smaller and more artsy. i love indie games. Bastion,Braid,Minecraft are some of my alltime favorite games. i never said my opinion was popular or stated it as a fact. its just that my thoughts and views.your free to disagree all you want but when it gets to the point of name calling and such thats just lame.

#18 Posted by EVO (3870 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99 said:

i know hes not indie but that david cage hack pisses me off to no end. the fucker makes interactive movies and tries to pass them off as games

People still say this this? Educate yourself. You don't know shit all about film, nor games to make a statement like that.

As for your rant on indie games:

they try so hard to seem better than everyone else just because they dont have big budgets.

What is wrong with this? As opposed to, say, EA or Activision that essentially publishes the same game annually, indie developers are at least trying to push the medium forward.

#19 Posted by aurahack (2265 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

There was no entitlement until there was demand for a new ending. Before that, it was people complaining about it because it was a shit ending. The outrage obviously wouldn't have been as huge if that wasn't the majority opinion and the media did their best to make as though nothing was wrong and it was another case of "the Internet being the Internet".

That was the whole debacle, though. People complaining is nothing new. It was people demanding for Bioware to completely void and sacrifice their artistic integrity because they feel like they "deserved" something better. Fuck that shit. Fuck that shit times a million.

#20 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

- E3 conferences

- Developers who release games with sketchy frame rates (GTA IV console, original Mass Effect on 360, Bayonetta port on PS3)

- Whoever keeps making the 360 dash worse and worse with every update

- Not including the option for different languages even though you have no excuse when it's on a PS3 where disc space is plentiful

- Games using standard definition FMVs as their cutscenes. WTF are they doing? It's even worse when it's on PC (PC monitors do not handle SD content well)

- Lack of cross platform friendly peripherals, it's a joke that one of those really expensive Logitech steering wheels + pedals only works on PS3

- Games not letting you skip cutscenes; hearing Max whine and bitch every 5 minutes wasn't fun Rockstar

- Any form of point system that is designed to make people have to spend more money than they should have to

- Day one paid DLC

- Week one paid DLC

- Pre-order bonuses

- Everything about the current 360 dashboard

- Lack of criticism in the "press" when a long running IP fails to do anything new or original

- Region locking

- Paying $60 a year for Xbox Live when the service in no way deserves it

- Stuff like Netflix being behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall

- Timed exclusives

- Timed DLC exclusives

- Forced matchmaking with no option to create or browse custom servers

- Not putting your game on Steam

#21 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@aurahack said:

That was the whole debacle, though. People complaining is nothing new. It was people demanding for Bioware to completely void and sacrifice their artistic integrity because they feel like they "deserved" something better. Fuck that shit. Fuck that shit times a million.

That's not the debacle I'm talking about, though. I'm talking about people in the press displaying the pervasive attitude of "that ending was fine and people on the Internet just want something to be mad about". This was prevalent among podcasts, articles (see: various Alex Navarro articles on the subject) and such. The whole thing about people wanting another ending or "deserving" better is something else irrelevant to the problem I was talking about.

#22 Posted by aurahack (2265 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

That's not the debacle I'm talking about, though. I'm talking about people in the press displaying the pervasive attitude of "that ending was fine and people on the Internet just want something to be mad about". This was prevalent among podcasts, articles (see: various Alex Navarro articles on the subject) and such. The whole thing about people wanting another ending or "deserving" better is something else irrelevant to the problem I was talking about.

I can't blame the press for thinking that way, though. Those who got upset didn't get upset in a way that made their cause or concerns credible. They made it sound like the internet always makes it sound.

But I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit tired of the dismissive nature of the press recently. It was almost impossible to not have a journalist be a sarcastic asshole during E3 this year.

#23 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Video game media folk who like to dismiss any mass complaint or controversy that us enthusiast peasants are involved with while using terms like "entitled". Recently was prevalent during the whole Mass Effect 3 ending debacle.

Yes.

#24 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@aurahack

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

Nice to see someone else on here gets it.
#25 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2008 posts) -

The only thing that gets me a little upset are those RPG games where the player forms parties that punish you with a game over when the player character gets incapacitated.

I don't think incapacitating the player character should mean the guaranteed death of an entire party.

#26 Posted by Darkstorn (463 posts) -

These days, we call any game that doesn't adhere to our industry's strict genre definitions an 'indie game.'

That's a damn shame, and it just goes to show how little differentiation there is between modern games.

Straying from the norm is a good thing in a change-averse industry. Luckily, I think we're entering a golden age of do-it-yourself game development, brought on by cloud computing, kickstarters, digital distribution, and the growing cultural relevance of gaming as a pastime.

#27 Edited by living4theday258 (678 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99 said:

@believer258: i wasnt dissmissing any and all indie games. just a large majority of them and the fact that it seems like alot of people seem to think that indie games are the only important things going on in gaming and how the whole indie "culture" seems reliant on the idea that they are better than major studios simply because they are smaller and more artsy. i love indie games. Bastion,Braid,Minecraft are some of my alltime favorite games. i never said my opinion was popular or stated it as a fact. its just that my thoughts and views.your free to disagree all you want but when it gets to the point of name calling and such thats just lame.

Indie games are so popular right now because not a damn thing has come out this month or last month if i remember correctly.

I'm surprised an indie discussion thread and no one has brought up minecraft or terraria?

EDIT: didn't notice you said minecraft in that post till after i posted.

EDIT2: also on topic i hate this:

• Red jam on your screen to signify low health
  • games with inconsistent frame rates(eyes quake 4)
  • Go fetch me 10,000 items so you can make this doo-hicky that will be useful for 10 minutes quests/missions
  • telling you to use a certain weapons/items when in fact you have much better weapons/items
  • games that like to remind me every time i die, that i can sprint, crouch, and i need to heal when Im low on health
  • (this one is uncharted specific) making my screen go black and white when I'm close to death
  • games that wanna remind me what the item im holding does even when ive got several hours into the game

And my biggest and most favorite of the lot: SHITTY GAMEPLAY!!!!!(although i do make exceptions to that rule for some games)

#28 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4303 posts) -

This is a bit of an iffy one, but I hate it when PR people and devs try to hype up something like it's never ever been done before when, in fact, it's been done to death. Like I said, it's iffy because it doesn't always mean the game will be bad or anything like that, but still, a lot of the time it's just "ugh"

#29 Edited by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

No... it was really about calling out bad writing and demanding good writing for once. You fuck up an ending, we fuck you up was the basic thing that happened and we showed the video game industry that if you fuck up an ending, be prepared to dole out some free shit for us and kiss our asses for the rest of time, because we do not forgive and we do not surrender when it comes to fucking something up that massively.

#30 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4888 posts) -

@Sooty said:

- Whoever keeps making the 360 dash worse and worse with every update

- Everything about the current 360 dashboard

I sense some true disdain here.

#31 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Jay444111

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

No... it was really about calling out bad writing and demanding good writing for once. You fuck up an ending, we fuck you up was the basic thing that happened and we showed the video game industry that if you fuck up an ending, be prepared to dole out some free shit for us and kiss our asses for the rest of time, because we do not forgive and we do not surrender when it comes to fucking something up that massively.

Ugh
#32 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

Yeah, dude, I'm not with you on this. Actually, this is the reason why I can somewhat understand the press' dismissive attitudes when it comes to fans being all uppity about something like what happened with the ME3 ending.

The "calling out bad writing" part is mostly what I'm talking about. I don't care about the other stuff.

#33 Posted by Chop (1994 posts) -

I don't appreciate the way the whole industry has been heading for a while now. I like games to be games and I want my game machines to play games....games.

#34 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

Bad PC ports, or games never getting ported to PC (STILL WAITING ON RED DEAD!)

#37 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Jay444111 said:

Yeah, dude, I'm not with you on this. Actually, this is the reason why I can somewhat understand the press' dismissive attitudes when it comes to fans being all uppity about something like what happened with the ME3 ending.

The "calling out bad writing" part is mostly what I'm talking about. I don't care about the other stuff.

I'm sorry, but being critical is going to be the only way to tell them why we will not deal with bad writing anymore! The ME3 ending is a literal example of bad writing even now. I despise horrid writing and will call it out. As a person who writes I get pissed off when people who get into swanky writing jobs do this constantly. It boils my blood with rage!

Also, on topic now.

The one thing I also hate is that these indie developers are such huge jackasses!

I'm serious, Phil Fish is a dick and I will not support someone who is like that. I mean... WTF... Not even Activision and EA get as bad as them on their worst days!

#38 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i have a whole bunch.

DLC in general- i don't like it too much. i don't think they are worth the price for the content that you get. i bought fable 2 DLC, there were two of them. i thought one was worth it but the other one only lasted me 2 hours, and spent a bunch of in game money. i think it was see the future where you bought snow globes. another reason is that it sometimes comes out right away after the game comes out. sometimes a month other times the next day.

pc gaming, i don't like how developers are ignoring computers. they don't care and just say here you go. it has terrible problems that they never fix. the community people end up fixing some of the problems. some developers don't even release the game.

the whole motion control thing. i don't like it i want to be sitting down on a chair or a couch playing video games. the wii came out with it. people enjoyed it since it was new. sony and microsoft followed with their motion controls. there aren't really any games that are good compared to a game with controller.

microsoft having a service, xbox live. it's really not worth it as the other consoles, pc, have free online play. everything that microsoft adds to the service requires live, like netflix. i just got it for ps3.

pc games not being on steam. i just think that there should only be one service that you can have your games on and that's steam. they can have a website where you can download the exe but that's it. people don't need a bunch of services to play games. EA made origin, people who want to play EA games have to play on origin instead of steam.

#39 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

I sometimes get bugged by the herd style genre switches. Not that this is too bad; if you are willing to play items that came out over a 10 year window it works. But eventually holes in terms of genres even existing open up, and some disproportional number of bad clones are released. Books do this too >.>. Game genres just ending up under the radar contribute to this (how well known was SpiderSoft known until recently?).

The indie complaint I sort of understand. In some cases the elevation of the product in terms of portraying a game as having some kind of intellectual weight is pretty much over blown BS. But larger games do that fairly often too, ie. some side story items where the developer insists they are exploring series topics with one-off dialogue in the middle of a 90% generic man-shooter.

Edit @Soot y: You actually pay 60/year for XBOX live? I suggest checking out fatwallet or something, paying more than 35 seems kind of dicey to me. No idea why MS wants to tax people who do not feel like punching in codes.

#40 Edited by aurahack (2265 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

That easily takes the cake for "most infuriating thing anyone has posted" for today this week this month ever.

As an artist, here is my stance on it:

Imagine I have a large fanbase. They've always loved the work I drew. I make an illustration. It's something amazing. They all love it! I'm thrilled they love it, so I make another illustration to follow up the first one. They love it, too! I promise them a final one. I work really hard for it, and I try to put as much creative power into it that I can. I'm super proud of my work. I finish it, then I show it to them. Some of them really like it, but a lot of them hate it. They violently hate it. They angrily, arrogantly, undeservedly ask me to change the illustration I made. They want it to look like they want to, not the way I wanted to.

Should I change my work? Fuck no. That artistic integrity is all I have. It's what I pride myself on, just like it's what Bioware prides themselves on. They don't owe you, or the other flood of people who complained, shit. They created something they believed to be an amazing piece of work. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean they should change anything about it. It's not your game, it's their game. No personal attachment to the series will change that, and the internet needs to grow the fuck up and realise that.

#41 Posted by gamefreak9 (2345 posts) -

I hate continuous annual sequels. I mean I can understand it occasionally but does there need to be a new fifa and new pro evolution soccer every year? And worse yet, do people need to BUY them every year? So take your pick, either hate the gamers that buy those things every year or the companies that brainwash them into buying it.

#42 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@aurahack said:

@Jay444111 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

That easily takes the cake for "most infuriating thing anyone has posted" for this month.

Imagine I have a large fanbase. They've always loved the work I drew. I make an illustration. It's something amazing. They all love it! I'm thrilled they love it, so I make another illustration to follow up the first one. They love it, too! I promise them a final one. I work really hard for it, and I try to put as much creative power into it that I can. I'm super proud of my work. I finish it, then I show it to them. Some of them really like it, but a lot of them hate it. They violently hate it. They angrily, arrogantly, undeservedly ask me to change the illustration I made. They want it to look like they want to, not the way I wanted to.

Should I change my work? Fuck no. That artistic integrity is all I have. It's what I pride myself on, just like it's what Bioware prides themselves on. They don't owe you, or the other flood of people who complained, shit. They created something they believed to be an amazing piece of work. Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean they should change anything about it. It's not your game, it's their game. No personal attachment to the series will change that, and the internet needs to grow the fuck up and realise that.

Here is the thing though, the ending HAD no work put into it. There is huge amounts of evidence that it would have gone the way of Dragon Age Origins where you boss allies around to kill things! Found in the code and sound files! They Kotor 2'd the ending... also they lied to our face by saying there were 16 radically different endings... yeah... sure we did!

Also I wasted 200 bucks on a franchise that ended so horribly that I cannot forgive it... I am owed massively for my investment that I had put in... I feel like I wasted my time... no media should ever make you feel that, none.

When it comes to writing quality, art should NEVER come into it because it creates elitism which fucks everyone over massively like how it did with Bioware. They have never made a piece of art in their lives! They have no integrity at all and it shows with DLC treatment and quality overall!

Besides, the book Mass Effect deception was also called out as horrible and it was changed due to how shitty it was for ruining the lore! So... we can't ask the same for the video game?

#43 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@aurahack

@Jay444111 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

That easily takes the cake for "most infuriating thing anyone has posted" for this month.

You're wasting your time.

I've tried to have this conversation with Jay before, and despite claiming to be a writer he absolutely fails to grasp the concept of artistic integrity.

One of these threads involved him wishing for the writers at BioWare to be made unemployable within the game industry.

So seriously, complete waste of your time trying to have anything approaching a reasonable intellectual discussion.
#44 Edited by aurahack (2265 posts) -

@gamefreak9: I think the vast majority of people who buy annualized sports games are those who don't necessarily play games all that often. They are people who just buy the new Madden and Call of Duty game every year and play those on occasion. If the market was purely enthusiast, you'd probably see something every two years with roster updates being patched in. (Or, somewhat more understandably, released as DLC.)

Mind you, I'm not an analyst, (or analrapist) so I don't know. It is just what I observed from working at GameStop for a good amount of time. The people who came in to buy those games were there only one or two times a year, if that.

#45 Posted by Taku128 (794 posts) -
  • People treating game reviews like the word of god
  • Annualized sequels
  • Activision
#46 Posted by aurahack (2265 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@aurahack said:

@Jay444111 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

Here is the thing though, the ending HAD no work put into it. There is huge amounts of evidence that it would have gone the way of Dragon Age Origins where you boss allies around to kill things! Found in the code and sound files! They Kotor 2'd the ending... also they lied to our face by saying there were 16 radically different endings... yeah... sure we did!

Also I wasted 200 bucks on a franchise that ended so horribly that I cannot forgive it... I am owed massively for my investment that I had put in... I feel like I wasted my time... no media should ever make you feel that, none.

When it comes to writing quality, art should NEVER come into it because it creates elitism which fucks everyone over massively like how it did with Bioware. They have never made a piece of art in their lives! They have no integrity at all and it shows with DLC treatment and quality overall!

Besides, the book Mass Effect deception was also called out as horrible and it was changed due to how shitty it was for ruining the lore! So... we can't ask the same for the video game?

Again, amount of money, time, or personal investment does not make it yours. That you did not like it is entirely your prerogative and hey, that's fine. That you demand the creators to change it to better fit your whim is bullshit. It's horseshit of the highest order and you should get fucked for even thinking that is the right thing to ask of a collective group of creative individuals.

To quote a little girl who clearly understands this better than you: It's okay to not like things. It's okay, but don't be a dick about it. It's okay to not like things. It's okay, but don't be a dick about the things you don't like.

#47 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@aurahack

@Jay444111 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

You're wasting your time. I've tried to have this conversation with Jay before, and despite claiming to be a writer he absolutely fails to grasp the concept of artistic integrity. One of these threads involved him wishing for the writers at BioWare to be made unemployable within the game industry. So seriously, complete waste of your time trying to have anything approaching a reasonable intellectual discussion.

Artistic integrity never works though. It is always called bullshit and anyone who uses it to try and defend their horrible work are scum. I have no integrity because I choose not to because all it breeds is hate and stupidity on all sides. It divides people completely and destroys work. If one of my writings is bad, it is bad! I can deal with that and say, "Sorry folks... I will make sure to do better next time!" I would not be a pissant and say, "Fuck all of you whiners! Artistic integrity assholes!"

There is not even a single writer working at Bioware... only students that only write food menus at third rate businesses that would never pass a health inspection. They don't deserve a single bit of praise for anything. Any writer worth even a SINGLE bit of quality would be able to critique your own work and know when something is stupid as hell... they are not and don't deserve any respect whatsoever at any time.

#48 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@aurahack: You didn't even answer a single bit of what I had to say. At all.

I demand them to change it. Not as a consumer, because they lost that from me because I sold my copy of the game just a bit ago. But as a person who critiques writing. The writing is so abysmal that it wouldn't even be allowed to even exist at any self respecting publishing company. They would burn the script and demand a do over.

Besides, this all could have been fixed by doing one thing... making a good ending... I guess that is to much of a good idea I guess.

#49 Edited by aurahack (2265 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@aurahack

@Jay444111 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@aurahack said:

You're wasting your time. I've tried to have this conversation with Jay before, and despite claiming to be a writer he absolutely fails to grasp the concept of artistic integrity. One of these threads involved him wishing for the writers at BioWare to be made unemployable within the game industry. So seriously, complete waste of your time trying to have anything approaching a reasonable intellectual discussion.

Artistic integrity never works though. It is always called bullshit and anyone who uses it to try and defend their horrible work are scum. I have no integrity because I choose not to because all it breeds is hate and stupidity on all sides. It divides people completely and destroys work. If one of my writings is bad, it is bad! I can deal with that and say, "Sorry folks... I will make sure to do better next time!" I would not be a pissant and say, "Fuck all of you whiners! Artistic integrity assholes!"

There is not even a single writer working at Bioware... only students that only write food menus at third rate businesses that would never pass a health inspection. They don't deserve a single bit of praise for anything. Any writer worth even a SINGLE bit of quality would be able to critique your own work and know when something is stupid as hell... they are not and don't deserve any respect whatsoever at any time.

See that shit? That shit I put in bold? That's you being a twat.

Artistic integrity is fucking everything to a creative individual. The game is well-written. What you do not agree with are the plot elements in the game. You don't like the ending, the character development, whatever fucking else, I don't care. Whatever it is, it is the decisions the creative team took that you do not see eye to eye with, and that disagreement does not "entitle" you to any sort of compensation or permission to verbally assault any employee at Bioware.

If your write a book, or porno or whatever you plan on doing with your miserable life, and it is poorly written, then you should try to improve and own up to it. But regardless of writing skill, if I don't agree with what you wrote and demand you change it by calling you names and saying you owe me everything, would you do it? Of course not. It's your fucking book. You should aim to improve your skill, but what you decided as a story is fucking yours and you should own that. It is the same for ME3 and for every single medium out there. If I draw something that looks like shit, then you bet I will try to improve my skill. If I draw, say, a cat, and everyone thinks I should draw a dog instead, then fuck those people. I wanted to draw a cat, I drew a cat, and if they don't like that cat then that is their right.

But that cat is mine. It's not theirs.

#50 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@aurahack: I'd agree with pretty much everything you're saying if it wasn't for the fact that there was some talk about creative story leads in the Mass Effect series leaving between Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, making the topic about artists improving their work rather moot when new people have to assume the role.