MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By MAST

No Caption Provided

I’ve always been amazed, and intrigued by how video games have effected other forms of media. Be it movies, music, television, etc. What I like even more are the small side projects that occasionally pop up over the internet. Machinima like Red vs. Blue, to things like Pure Pwnage which follows the life of a fictional character obsessed with competitive gaming. I think these fan created shows really capture how deeply video games are ingrained in our culture.
You see games in everything nowadays. Just the other day i was marveling over the fact that the entire country of Japan practically shuts down when a new Dragon Quest game is being released. Even in the States, people will line up outside of game stores, even at midnight, just for the chance to play a game a bit early. You also have shows like Big Bang Theory, where they regularly talk about one game or another. Or you’ll be watching a movie, and see some kid playing a PSP or DS in the background. These types of things leave me continuously anxious to see what it will be like in another 10 years.

One of the more recent pieces of nonsense I’ve been into is a internet show called “There Will be Brawl,” and it uses a “What If” storyline. It’s a pretty recent creation. They are only up to their 6th episode, which was just released not long ago. I encourage you to check it out. Also, feel free to let me know about any other similar internet creations you guys might know about.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MAST

No Caption Provided

I’ve always been amazed, and intrigued by how video games have effected other forms of media. Be it movies, music, television, etc. What I like even more are the small side projects that occasionally pop up over the internet. Machinima like Red vs. Blue, to things like Pure Pwnage which follows the life of a fictional character obsessed with competitive gaming. I think these fan created shows really capture how deeply video games are ingrained in our culture.
You see games in everything nowadays. Just the other day i was marveling over the fact that the entire country of Japan practically shuts down when a new Dragon Quest game is being released. Even in the States, people will line up outside of game stores, even at midnight, just for the chance to play a game a bit early. You also have shows like Big Bang Theory, where they regularly talk about one game or another. Or you’ll be watching a movie, and see some kid playing a PSP or DS in the background. These types of things leave me continuously anxious to see what it will be like in another 10 years.

One of the more recent pieces of nonsense I’ve been into is a internet show called “There Will be Brawl,” and it uses a “What If” storyline. It’s a pretty recent creation. They are only up to their 6th episode, which was just released not long ago. I encourage you to check it out. Also, feel free to let me know about any other similar internet creations you guys might know about.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Popular culture usually finds it's way into other forms of current media, especially nowadays with the relative ease of creating these sorts of things, the relative cheap cost of cameras, video editing software, etc, and the ease of putting these things on 'The Tubes' has given some very talented people the ability to shine through who otherwise would not have been able to via traditional means.

With the good comes the bad though :P for every great video or series out there, there's 10 bad ones, and 100 videos of a chav happyslapping someone. But you take the good with the bad and rejoice in the fact that this content is available to all :D

Other developments like the Rock Band network etc are also great leaps forward in this sort of thing in my opinion. I mean, while what it's offering isn't too different to Microsofts Community Games program (indeed it's part of that in fact isnt it?) the sheer fact that it's enabling smaller musicians to get their content out there in a format that is so popular today is staggering. Something like this just wouldn't have been possible even ten years ago, not for more than one lucky band or person at least. 

It also works in the reverse, look at how cinematography in modern cinema has effected, and indeed helped to further, cinematography in games. Games like Resident Evil 5 are pushing the boundaries of modern cinematography in a way modern cinema simply cannot do with live action, through use of the virtual camera and other new technology.
MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MAST

Yeah, it's definitely interesting seeing games almost giving movies a run for their money. I wonder if it will ever get to the point where you don't have standard "movies" anymore, and everything becomes interactive.