#1 Posted by Gladiator_Games (444 posts) -

Would any of you say the magazine is worth $20 a year? Its a fairly trivial amount, and I'm thinking of subbing, but I dont want "fairly trivial" content. Your opinions?

#2 Posted by csl316 (8693 posts) -

Game Informer's great, and I visit the site every day. Their video coverage has been getting better and better, and I tend to think their editorial team is full of awesome people. Aside from GB, they're my video game people.

#3 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

@csl316: Their actual magazine isn't awesome, but their video stuff is awesome. Kind of makes me wish they didn't have to support the magazine.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13203 posts) -

Yeah, it's not much money, i've been getting it for about 6 issues now. It's uh, it's OK. Usually, I'll just flip through it, most of it is information I already know from the Bombcast and forums and stuff.

#5 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I use GameStop and their members program offers a yearly subscription to Game Informer along with their membership, which is only $15. So definitely do that instead.

#6 Posted by csl316 (8693 posts) -
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1

@csl316: Their actual magazine isn't awesome, but their video stuff is awesome. Kind of makes me wish they didn't have to support the magazine.

I guess the magazine stuff at this point is more so they have a physical presence at Gamespot. It's weird hearing them talk about deadlines when the rest of the sites are free to just do whatever.

But as a game magazine, I still think it's quality stuff that has first looks at some big games. A bit reduntant with their website but it's neat to still get a well produced magazine. Then when you find a pile of old GI's in a couple years you'll get to chuckle at how we thought Kinect 2 would actually work.
#7 Posted by TruthTellah (9122 posts) -

I used to think Game Informer was alright, but when I read their articles now, I just get the urge to comment on the stories or watch their accompanying video content. And that isn't exactly possible with a magazine. ha.

If you get it free with a GameStop membership, it's not awful to get, but it has also become a bit redundant to me.

#8 Posted by Bane122 (789 posts) -

Yeah, I think they're worth it. For one they often have exclusive game reveals, which of course end up getting out online but I like to read them firsthand. If they put the effort into getting and writing the exclusive, I'd like to appreciate that and not read a summary on the internet.

Also, each month they have sections covering digital titles, interviews with people from the industry like studio heads, editorials from whomever sends them one (such as this month's where Greg Kasavin talked about his move to indie games), and also a section with quick blurbs about everything like hardware, books, music, boardgames... if they like it they'll put it in there. Not to mention their letters page can be funny and the end of each issue will have some sort of classic gaming featue. Sometimes it's an overview of a game or series and sometimes it's about the stories behind a game.

In a time when most magazines seem pointless, Game Informer is still a hell of a product.

Just be wary of the digital issues. I tried those last year and they were terrible on my PC but they may be better on a tablet.

#9 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2391 posts) -

I'd say yeah. Game Informer has some really good columns and the fan mail often warrants a chuckle. Usually the cover stories kinda suck though and their reviews aren't well written but still for $20 you could do much worse.

#10 Posted by ShaggE (6457 posts) -

@Bane122 said:

Just be wary of the digital issues. I tried those last year and they were terrible on my PC but they may be better on a tablet.

Ugh, yeah. I opted for the digital version when I signed up for a membership, and I regretted it immediately.

#11 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

I have the subscription just because I enjoy the GameStop discounts/bonuses/rewards program thing, I almost never read it since I already know the reviews and stuff ahead of time, the only big thing to look for is the cover article. 
However do support the site, their video content arguably matches GiantBomb, surpasses if you were to compare Super Replays to Endurance Runs, and if my money is even partially helping keep that alive then it's totally worth it.

#12 Posted by HatKing (5955 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

I use GameStop and their members program offers a yearly subscription to Game Informer along with their membership, which is only $15. So definitely do that instead.

This. It's cheaper than the normal subscription, plus you get the other bonuses GameStop offers. Say what you will about the company, but sometimes the ability to get cheap used games immediately is nice.

#13 Posted by AuthenticM (3732 posts) -

No print magazine is worth it. Just stick to online coverage. Giant Bomb has better content than anything I've seen in either GameInformer or EGM.

#14 Posted by ripelivejam (3978 posts) -

i guess i'm a boring old fart cause i really love their layout and visual design. lovely covers too. probably the only gaming magazine worth a damn (maybe pc gamer but i rarely flip through that). well written features IMO even if the reviews aren't as good and they're a bit too liberal with their praise.

#15 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4523 posts) -

I don't see why not. It is indeed a trivial amount of money for something that, too my knowledge, has such great content every month. I personally don't sub though because there's enough shit around my crib already and magazines are the last thing I need to add to that.

#16 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

It is probably the best videogame magazine. If you're into magazines, travel, or just like toilet reads, it's great.

#17 Posted by Sackmanjones (4706 posts) -

I like it, plus if you use gamestop its only 15 i think?

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5828 posts) -

I agree with everyone who said to get the Gamestop membership.

#19 Posted by Zleunamme (666 posts) -

The editorial content and magazine layout have gotten a lot better since their redesign three or four years ago. I kept the physical magazines because I like their covers and the tactile nature of holding paper. Reading the digital version from my laptop strained my eyes. The reason they want people to go digital is so that they can save money on printing and shipping.

GI seemed to follow Giant Bomb's lead in terms of posting video features on their website. Giant Bomb has the Endurance Runs, GI has Super Replays. That being said, Game Informer's website is worth checking out. Consider the magazine a bonus for having the membership card. Its funny when GI has to disclose their involvement with Gamestop if a story comes out about the latter's bad business practices.

#20 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

It is worth it. I was subscribed to GameInformer for the past three years (my subscription ran out back in July), and it was well worth every dollar. From great articles to insider information on the latest "big" things going on within the gaming industry, GameInformer was a great investment.

#21 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

It's outstanding. I've been subscribing since 2004 and it's outstanding. It doesn't hurt that I'm accumulating points at GameStop for coupons and stuff.

#22 Posted by Camoufrage (84 posts) -

I'm personally a huge fan of the magazine. Been reading it for years. I have the last 4 years cataloged just for the hell of it. Not much is cooler than reading the issues that were announcements for some really hyped up games years ago like Dead Space 2 and Fallout 3.

#23 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Id pay 20 for it if they had it in my country. I love having magazines used to get the OPSM magazines back in the PS1 and early PS2 days. Got Final Fantasy VII platinum free with my subscription which was awesome

#24 Posted by Marokai (2981 posts) -

Eh, I have a subscription and I always ask myself the same question, but for 20 bucks a year it's not much of a stresser when I'm at least getting a physical product. I have very little respect for GameInformer reviews (it tends to operate on that same inflated score system of almost-everything-gets-a-seven) and the cover stories are usually not very interesting ad buys but it's at least a well produced magazine that is enjoyable to spent twenty minutes or so lightly skimming. And really, that's the ideal way to approach reading a GameInformer issue; don't go to it for particularly well written or brutally honest reviews, or hard-hitting, well, anything, but for the occasional news story and as a catalogue of upcoming stuff in the industry, it's totally competent and worthwhile.