Game Informer's top 200 games of all time.

• 97 results
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Brendan
@Symphony said:
"Cant say I agree  but its good to see Final Fantasy VI (though they call it III) in the top 10 :D "

Haha my first thought was, "FF3? (thinking of DS version) Really??  Then I lol'd.   

Good list that hits most of the main points, pointless to quibble over #11 vs. #12 and such.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#52  Edited By AgentJ

I honestly don't think this is a horrible list. I mean, its not perfect, but lists like this never are. I think most of the games that needed to make it made it

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I think Halo has revolutionized modern FPS games far more than the COD franchise EVER has. MW is a great game, no doubt. But it didn't offer anything new; instead, it just perfected what was already there.  

Not only that, but I think Halo has had much more of an influence on our culture.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By NoDeath
@Bucketdeth said:
" If they put Wow as 11 they should put Everquest as 10. "
I disagree. I'll tell you why using an example. Under this reasoning, if they put Doom at 6, Wolf 3D should be at 5. No one denies Wolf 3D is a great game and a revolutionary piece of work, but Doom was the game that defined the genre. Its the same thing with WoW and Everquest. WoW has made a much bigger dent in what MMO's and hell, even gaming in general is today than Everquest ever will, even though WoW wouldn't have existed without it.
wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#55  Edited By wwfundertaker

Okay list but the numbering of the games are wrong, i guess its there opinion.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I hate these big 'top games of all time' lists. I think almost everyone can agree that all the games listed are quality games but trying to say that game X is better than game Y is just an exercise in genre preference and nostalgia (where applicable). But putting out an article titled "200 games that we can probably all agree are pretty damn good in alphabetical order" wouldn't get as many hits, so here we are.

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Tiwi
@Symphony said:
" Cant say I agree  but its good to see Final Fantasy VI (though they call it III) in the top 10 :D "
wait... it's not the third one? srsly? why did they use the american numbering? it makes no sense. everyone who cares about the FF franchise call it VI.
McDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By McDom
@Heartbreak said:
" Numbers on top XX lists are useless, that is all. "
this.
Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Sinkwater

I just read through this and I gotta say, once they got into the 100-200 area, it seems like they just started writing down games that popped into their heads.  Examples:

104 - Batman: Arkham Asylum
110 - Halo 2
134 - Borderlands
143 - Assassin's Creed
165 - Peggle
178 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
187 - Infamous

I'm not saying these aren't fun games, but when you start naming games that came out in the past couple of years that are merely above average, I think the list should stop there.  200 was way too many and after the first 20 it seems as if the rest is just arbitrary.

edit: also, Ogre Battle 64 didn't make it anywhere on this list so it's obviously wrong :P

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ArchScabby
@Sinkwater: Well the only reason they did 200 was because it was their 200th issue.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#61  Edited By Video_Game_King

My exact words: "Why is Panzer Dragoon Saga so low? That was an awesome game."

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By TheGremp

Wait, so CoD4 is above RE4, MGS, OoT, Super Metroid, SFII and Half-Life? 

This list is messed up.

Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Sinkwater
@ArchScabby: I understand that, but it doesn't make it a good idea.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By penguindust

You can really tell the people who created the list were part of the Nintendo generation by their placement of all things Nintendo so high in the rankings.  In all honesty, I found the games in the second 100 (101-200) to be more interesting to me than those in the first 100.  

Besides, Pong not showing up until 158 is just wrong on every measure.  Historically, if for nothing else it should be at least in the top 50. 

Anyway, it's a list made by folks who have their own opinions.  I don't agree with most of the placements, but that's just me....and probably most of you, too.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By TwoOneFive

borderlands made the list at a pretty good place too. shows how silly that thing is. and they were really weird about choosing which games got showcased the most. oddly enough, MGS4 got a tiny, almost unnoticeable spot with lke two sentences written about it. 

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By Griddler

Oh no, not one of these. All these lists do is enrage people because they feel their game should be #1 not #4 or whatever. It's ridiculous.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By iam3green

the list is just alright. i don't think gta 4 should be lower. i didn't think that the game was that good to be above san andreas.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#68  Edited By Willy105
@ArchScabby said:
" @Sinkwater: Well the only reason they did 200 was because it was their 200th issue. "
Couldn't they have counted down their 200 best issues instead? At least we could believe them.
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#69  Edited By Belonpopo

Halo? Team Fortress 2? Fallout 3? I read Gameinfomer a lot and normally agree but this is kind of inaccurate. Wow Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2 are already on there this list is Garbage. Halo needs to be way higher that game set the mark for all FPS almost every FPS you play and some of it's elements taken from Halo:CE. There should be a law aginast making list like this.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70  Edited By Gizmo

Half Life is lower then COD4?

This is Blasphemy, madness!

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By skrutop

Yup, that's a list of games alright.

I guess that top 30 is a pretty safe set of choices, though I'm a bit surprised to see God of War, Bioshock, and Mike Tyson's Punch Out ranked so highly.  I'd also have switched Metroid and Super Metroid.  The first one is a classic, but Super Metroid is a much, much better game.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By Crono
@Karmum said:

" World of Warcraft is Number 11? I really don't think it should be that high. Is that based on popularity, or do they actually like it that much? "

Maybe for its impact on the industry?  It is hard to deny, for better or worse, that WoW has had a tremendous impact on the gaming industry and, of course, MMOs.

@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" COD4 is way too high.  "

For once I agree with you on something.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I would agree with a lot of the games they've chosen, but definitely not in that order.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Heartbreak said:
Exactly, its just to attract attention. Nothing grabs a gamer's eye better than "Top 10 _____". Looks like its worked again. I never take these seriously, most of those games have no place being compared to one another.
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Where is Super Mario World?  It didn't even make their top 30.  How?
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ThomasP
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" COD4 is way too high.  "
@baconbits33 said:
" I hate Super Mario Bros... is that just me? Seriously it's so overrated in my opinion. "
It`s just you.
Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Kiemoe

That's weird, Mega Man 2 was like at least number 3 on their top 100 a while ago, it's not even up there now.

Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Sinkwater
@Belonpopo said:

" Halo? Team Fortress 2? Fallout 3? I read Gameinfomer a lot and normally agree but this is kind of inaccurate. Wow Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2 are already on there this list is Garbage. Halo needs to be way higher that game set the mark for all FPS almost every FPS you play and some of it's elements taken from Halo:CE. There should be a law aginast making list like this. "

Halo set standard for console FPS, HL & HL 2 set the standard for the genre in its entirety

Edit:  Oh and FiestaUnicorn, SMW is 47.  Right under GTA 4.  HOW DOES YOUR CHILDHOOD FEEL NOW :\
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By gamefreak9

These lists always suck because they are based off Nostalgia, i will say that Ocarina of time was one of the greatest games for its time... but really every Zelda after that was better... instead of rating games by what made us feel better at that time we shuld be rating on which one... as we speak has a better, more updated engine, and smooth gameplay.  If you give someone whos never played a zelda before, the newest zelda to play right now, he would have a better time than if u gave him the first one. 

Its easy to say final fantasy 7 awsome but 12 did have more content, the only things that can make a game timeless is story.  And final fantasy 7 has a place in my heart for its villain, but its not more fun to play than 12...  

If you remove the story completely and give resident evil 4 and resident evil 5 to someone, well even though resident evil 5 didn't add that many things to the formula, ITS STILL BETTER, smoother gameplay, better guns, more monsters, more upgrades, more modes. I mean games aren't like movies, the code gets updated, every generation of games is better, movies can only improve on their cinematography from the old days.  

Kotor however is one of those examples that because of the overwhelming story, even if the gameplay isnt as good as kotor 2, the story bashes the second one down the drain because of the huge satisfaction you got from the first one.  

But seriously saying Doom is better than Doom 3... is just straight out ridiculous... instead of being nostalgic we should focus on how things are right now, the present, Which one IS actually better.   Doom isn't so much about story as it is about scares and shooting, and doom 3 does it better.  

Of course theirs exceptions to this because sometimes when people try to revamp the code they leave holes and create lots of glitches that can ruin a game experience completely. 

Im probably not going to get good looks from this post so might as well add on to it. Beatles started something, doesn't mean their music was better, actually if u get their compositions in todays world... its just shit, linear crap most bands can compose anyway, they are just remembered for being revolutionary in their time because they were the first.  

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TheMathlete

I would put both Diablo 2 and Half-Life over God of War and Bioshock.  Other than that though, I think it is a pretty good list.
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By NathHaw

In that list, I'm sad to see God of War, but I guess I get it.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#82  Edited By Siphillis
@Heartbreak said:

A top X list should strive to do two things: 
1. Be interesting (fail) 
2. Spark interest in otherwise ignored games (fail)
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83  Edited By trophyhunter

game informer gets the prize for most generic, uninteresting, unsurprising choices ever.
no really you like FF7 and COD4 also? really? get out of town.. you crazy kidder you

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Siphillis
@baconbits33 said:
" I hate Super Mario Bros... is that just me? Seriously it's so overrated in my opinion. "
Super Mario Brothers in the most important video game in history.  It singlehandedly reignited interest in video games in the United States, brought rise to Nintendo (a la Halo: Combat Evolved) and is synonymous with the industry as a whole.  "Not many other games can be identified by a single sound byte." -Koji Kondo.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Siphillis
@PenguinDust said:
" You can really tell the people who created the list were part of the Nintendo generation by their placement of all things Nintendo so high in the rankings. "
I assume you're of the PS2, Xbox 360 generation.  You see, in those times innovation and imagination weren't substituted by Midnight launches and skyscraper posters all over New York.  Campaigns weren't five hours long, and multiplayer was when you invited friends into your own living room.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By penguindust
@Siphillis:   

Actually, I predate the Nintendo generation to when video games were only found outside the home.  I was gaming before the crash in 82, and I know that innovation and imagination existed before Nintendo came in and resurrected the games industry here.  Do they deserve credit?  Absolutely, but it's still apparent that people who came into gaming with those NES & SNES consoles hold their memories of them in higher regard than people born after or, in my case, before.  Our nostalgia for the games we played as children skews our reasoning sometimes because those are the happiest, most carefree times of our lives.  The two become linked and the games are given greater merit than they may have actually deserved.  It's the same with other media, too.  Perhaps you watched He-Man or G.I. Joe growing up.  Go back and watch any of those cartoons today and tell me if you think they are as good as the memories you had of them.  

Now, before I become too completely curmudgeony, get off my lawn, ya damn hooligan.
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MrSnow

Too much nostalgia. if some of those games were released today and juged by todays standers they would of  been no way near the top of that list.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#88  Edited By Snail

OCARINA OF TIME IS NUMBER 20?!

TWENTY?!

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By luce

pretty sloppy list IMO

WildFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#90  Edited By WildFire

My #1 Game of all time is probably Team Fortress 2 or the whole damn franchise if possible, that or Deus Ex.

Stensby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Stensby

No Uncharted: Drake's Fortune?

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By L4wz

What about Halo 1? That game pretty much invented console fps!
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By MysteriousBob
@L4wz said:
" What about Halo 1? That game pretty much invented console fps! "  
I'm no Nintendo fan but even I'll admit GoldenEye did much more for console FPS games than Halo ever did.
L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By L4wz
@MysteriousBob:
Halo made console FPS popular, Goldeneye rocked but Console FPS were still underground until Halo came out.
Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Cadmus

The game that really stood out to me was Oblivion.  Granted it probably belongs somewhere in a list of 200, but #30??

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Cadmus
@gamefreak9: 
Completely agree, but FF7 gameplay was not all bad, the limit breaks were the redeeming factor.  Every other variation of limit breaks after 7 felt kinda lame imo.
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Belonpopo

Gameinformer is biased to a lot of games like World of Worldcraft , Call of Duty, and Rock Band. It seems as if they find no problems with these games. It really pisses me off sometimes because they will spend 5-6 paragraphs on game flaws and then give it like 9.75? At least give me a score according to the review you wrote. By the way why do they use that stupid 10 point scale with decimals and all that shit? Whats that difference between a 9.75 and a 10 or a 9.25 and a 9? just doesn't make sense to me.