Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By Hamz

Cutting straight to the point!

Its my all new favourite website.

A website that has been appearing in my twitter feed with some regularity over the last few days. The site is run by a gentlemen called Ben Paddon (never heard of him either!). I won't bother going into an explanation of what the site's purpose is as its blurb does a fine job of explaining that on its own.

A catalogue of the stupid, incompetent, and generally retarded things gaming journalists say and do.

I dedicate time every day to scouring gaming news sites for dumb shit. More often than not I find it on Kotaku, where "random crap that pops into my head" qualifies as genuine journalism for some reason.

Make no mistake though, Kotaku is not his only target (just the largest and most plentiful) as if you take some time to read through a couple of pages you'll find content from plenty of other well known sites such as Destructoid, Games Radar, Joystiq etc making an appearance. I've spent a good couple of hours reading through a lot of the material on GJAIF and in between the odd fit of laughter I've found myself genuinely shaking my head in despair more often. Largely at the sheer stupidity from some of the so called 'professional' members of the video game press who work for well known publications. I can't help but feel certain individuals and established publications bring a note of shame to their peers and to the institution of journalism in general due to a complete lack of or extremely low standards of quality in their work.

So seeing a site like this where the critics find themselves put under the spotlight and criticised really does shed some light on the overall quality that we, the simple minded reader, have to put up with. While also in an odd way providing a brilliant arena to name and shame the biggest culprits and hopefully by doing so help maybe raise the bar a little over the standards of quality expected from members of the gaming press.

So what do you make of a site like GJAIF? Is it just a cheap way to throw jabs at the gaming press or is it perhaps a more subtle way of naming and shaming individuals and/or publications that continue to spew out crap on a daily basis? 

I'm not sure this has any real connection to the content of this blog. But it does still make me chuckle none the less!
 I'm not sure this has any real connection to the content of this blog. But it does still make me chuckle none the less!
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hamz

Cutting straight to the point!

Its my all new favourite website.

A website that has been appearing in my twitter feed with some regularity over the last few days. The site is run by a gentlemen called Ben Paddon (never heard of him either!). I won't bother going into an explanation of what the site's purpose is as its blurb does a fine job of explaining that on its own.

A catalogue of the stupid, incompetent, and generally retarded things gaming journalists say and do.

I dedicate time every day to scouring gaming news sites for dumb shit. More often than not I find it on Kotaku, where "random crap that pops into my head" qualifies as genuine journalism for some reason.

Make no mistake though, Kotaku is not his only target (just the largest and most plentiful) as if you take some time to read through a couple of pages you'll find content from plenty of other well known sites such as Destructoid, Games Radar, Joystiq etc making an appearance. I've spent a good couple of hours reading through a lot of the material on GJAIF and in between the odd fit of laughter I've found myself genuinely shaking my head in despair more often. Largely at the sheer stupidity from some of the so called 'professional' members of the video game press who work for well known publications. I can't help but feel certain individuals and established publications bring a note of shame to their peers and to the institution of journalism in general due to a complete lack of or extremely low standards of quality in their work.

So seeing a site like this where the critics find themselves put under the spotlight and criticised really does shed some light on the overall quality that we, the simple minded reader, have to put up with. While also in an odd way providing a brilliant arena to name and shame the biggest culprits and hopefully by doing so help maybe raise the bar a little over the standards of quality expected from members of the gaming press.

So what do you make of a site like GJAIF? Is it just a cheap way to throw jabs at the gaming press or is it perhaps a more subtle way of naming and shaming individuals and/or publications that continue to spew out crap on a daily basis? 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

What are some of your fav ones hamz? 

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Brians
@Hamz: I'm a little confused. Is this a call for the quality of journalism within the games industry to improve? 
Maybe more enthusiast places should be transparent with that?  Or perhaps because the expectation of bad journalism isn't so ingrained in the public due to the youth of the industry it's easier and more apparent to mock.
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Meltac

Is the GB crew on there?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder
@Meltac said:

" Is the GB crew on there? "

"No results for "giant bomb" :o
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meltac
@BeachThunder:  Thank god! =D
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Briguile said:
" @Hamz: I'm a little confused. Is this a call for the quality of journalism within the games industry to improve?  Maybe more enthusiast places should be transparent with that?  Or perhaps because the expectation of bad journalism isn't so ingrained in the public due to the youth of the industry it's easier and more apparent to mock. "
Think about the Nier thing with Justin. How so many people just accepted " I give Nier a zero" 
ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ClownDetective

Dude yes. Games journalism sucks. So do games journalists. They deserve to be called on their suckiness.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Willy105

Game journalists are more entertainers themselves than journalists, because that's what the audience demands of them.

Smart, serious game journalists kill their own work, because they aren't very entertaining.

It's why Fox News is beating CNN in ratings. Fox News is entertaining, CNN is not.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ArchScabby

This site sucks, so far nothing I read has seemed stupid except to the idiot writing for the site.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By FLStyle

Bookmarked. Thanks for the heads up Hamz.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Brians
@The_Laughing_Man:  I appreciate that, he had some frustrations with the game that would have unfairly directed his review of the game. I don't think it was about his review as much as it was why he declined to write a real review. If he had taken his frustration of the section and wrote a review it would have been pretty negative and not helped. Reading a review after hearing about a gameplay that took over an hour would've been more upset to me honestly.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's an industry made for idiots so it seems about right that most of the journalists are too.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rinkalicous

The first one I saw was this; 

Players will have to tackle the Drone Army of Morcubus but I don’t know why I’m telling you this because you’ve stopped reading already. Oh just read the f*cking press release or something, you don’t need me to repeat all the bollocks when EA can just do it firsthand.     

That's not badly written/stupid/incompetent at all! It's hilarious and entertaining, just like game sites should be, in my opinion. Did it make the site because it's not Serious Face enough or something? Personally, I believe it shows better writing skills and more creativity then you'd ever find from the journalists that this site classes as 'competent'.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@ArchScabby said:
" This site sucks, so far nothing I read has seemed stupid except to the idiot writing for the site. "
Yeah... just a guy catching any slips or mistakes (barely) and commenting like a wise ass... always a bad thing to act like you're perfect.
rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rinkalicous

Wait I'm not done. I just read some more, and I've decided to write a new feature. It's called 'Stuff that Rink finds on that one site Hamz posted that is poorly written to the degree of being hypocritical, as judged by Rink himself'. Catchy, I know.

Episode one: 
" at least half a dozen different gaming news sites beat you to the bunch. Once again, you lose." ~ That guy from that site
Maybe you shouldn't be condescending when you can't even correctly quote common sayings? The correct saying is 'Beat you to the Punch' That's 'Punch', as in 'Falcon Punch', 'Punch that guy in the face' or 'Don't drink the Punch as it has been spiked with raw heroin, bro'.   

Tune in next week, folks.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Rinkalicous said:
" The first one I saw was this; 

Players will have to tackle the Drone Army of Morcubus but I don’t know why I’m telling you this because you’ve stopped reading already. Oh just read the f*cking press release or something, you don’t need me to repeat all the bollocks when EA can just do it firsthand.      That's not badly written/stupid/incompetent at all! It's hilarious and entertaining, just like game sites should be, in my opinion. Did it make the site because it's not Serious Face enough or something? Personally, I believe it shows better writing skills and more creativity then you'd ever find from the journalists that this site classes as 'competent'. "
It's a guy being a dork and trying too hard to be amusing so instead seems smarmy. I don't get how it's either entertaining or hilarious. He could have at least had the balls to not censor himself so not to look like he was writing for 14 year olds.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee

Don't really find any of it funny. Most of it is just him trying to be a wise ass. Who recently has a strong vendetta against Nick. O.o
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nanikore

He's just finding the slightest mistakes in the articles and being an asshole.  

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rateoforange

I've said it before: games journalism is not really journalism. It isn't the Washington Post; it's Tiger Beat.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Jayzilla

What do you expect though from Journalists whose target audience is largely for the under 18 crowd? If you are looking for maturity and journalistic integrity from video game critics, you may be interested in the wrong thing duder.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti
@ArchScabby said:

" This site sucks, so far nothing I read has seemed stupid except to the idiot writing for the site. "

I concur.
Having gone through 2 pages, the site reads like bad trolling.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By sixghost

Seemed like an interesting concept for a site, but the actual content sucks.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ghostiet

That guy didn't really make an incredible discovery when he mentioned Kotaku. I'm still looking for someone who takes those attention whores serious anymore.

Also, the ironic thing is that the author of the site is, himself, an Incompetent Fuckwit.

He treats gaming journalists as REAL journalists - which is the most common mistake, which is pointed out by many gaming journalists themselves. It's like complaining that amateur basketball isn't as entertaining as the NBA - it probably isn't, yet those are basicly two different sports.

GamesRadar: "5 things you didn't know about Gears of War 3. Until now." »

Or until four hours previously when at least half a dozen different gaming news sites beat you to the bunch. Once again, you lose.

How the fucking shit that title can be considered an argument for the writer being an imbecil? COME ON! It's supposed to be witty and give outright what's in the article, and it does its job. It's like complaining that a movie tagline is a cliche like "How far can you go to save someone who you love?". It NEEDS to be a cliche like that - so we know what the movie is about the moment we glance at a poster.

Also, grabbing on petty mistakes and attempts at humor isn't pointing out mistakes that is valuable in any way. It's nitpicking. It's a review - it's supposed to give you info about the game, help you decide if you should buy it or not and occasionally be entertaining. An orthographic mistake is really hard to correct, seriously. I think someone should die because of one - so there goes half of the world's journalists.

(that bit about "bollocks" and "EA" was bad, though)

Seriously, that guy reminds me of those assholes that go watch Star Wars and then conclude that the movie is utter shit. Because you can hear lasers in space, which is impossible in reality. We all know a guy like that. We all want to punch him to death. Hey, look, that guy is a twit - I'm going to disregard his whole writing career by pointing out he wrote "grew" instead of "grown". Blimey, that was hilarious, I should write a blog!

There's a lot to complain about in video game journalism - like in every type of journalism. Many times it's lazy, sold out, attention whoring and painful to read. But this ain't the way to do it.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meltac

He's seems like a fuckwitt.

Vic_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vic_Viper
@nanikore said:
"He's just finding the slightest mistakes in the articles and being an asshole.   "

this
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brians

He is part of a new trend of internet grammar nazi's. I was highly disappointed to see this but his peers are on twitter crticizing people for bad language there. It's stupid and his website just promotes his dickish nature.

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ClownDetective

That website is dumb. Of all the things to call journalists out for, the regurgitating press releases, the lack of any initiative, the bias, the lack of any insight; he chooses instead to comb for grammatical errors. Shame.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PureRok

Interestingly enough, the journalists themselves like the website, while you all hate it. I find this amusingly ironic.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brians
@PureRok:  It's the motivation I hate.  to pick such a stupid thing to get upset about. It's like the people offended that on a website which restricts your words people use short hand. Just being an editor and saying oh that phrase needed a comma not a semicolon is petty and not worth it.
Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Rasgueado

Interesting reactions here. I find it odd that there are those who feel it is alright that people being referred to as "journalists"  can get away with doing a half-assed job. If it is your job to write all day, than at the very least, the mechanical aspect of the job (you know... the writing part) should at least be correct. I'm not even yet taking into account a general lack of research that goes into a majority of these blog posts (a high percentage are press release reductions as it is). Stating my agreement with his point of view however, doesn't mean I want to go to a site that compiles all of the garbage into one place for me to read. I generally don't go around and purposefully ram my nose into heavily soiled litter boxes for enjoyment... the same holds true here. 

(I'm almost interested to visit the site briefly just to see how many posts by Jim Sterling pop up. I'm willing to bet there are a lot).

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Brians
@Rasgueado: I wouldn't mind the website if it was a call to arms to improve the quality of writing about the game industry. Looking at the website it seems to be Ha he spelled gun wrong.
FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FirePrince
@Hamz:
FUCK YEAH! 
Another user that likes Yahtzee. 
Damn this site is awesome.
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Turtlemayor333
@sixghost said:
"

Seemed like an interesting concept for a site, but the actual content sucks.

"
 Exactly. He's reaching too far and too often.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By KaosAngel

I just lurk forums a week after the game is out and debate it then.  If a large percentage of them are beating the game quick, it's a rent.  But forums help me more than anything else. 

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rasgueado
@Briguile: well... someone that posts articles about video games as their primary employment should not--ever--be spelling the word 'gun' wrong. That's a pretty integral word to this medium. 

I've stated that my feelings of indifference toward this site mirror yours. My concern is that it doesn't seem very important to a lot of people that there is a certain level of language proficiency that isn't being met by a large percentage of bloggers who are paid to write. If a site can't be bothered to do a base level of copy-editing, how can I be sure that they are properly sourcing and researching their articles? 
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brians
@Rasgueado:  Just find people whose opinion you trust. Avoid the places where the writing doesn't seem strong. That's what I do.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Whisperkill

This guy is like some kind of hardcore troll who hates his life...

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Whisperkill

This guy is like some kind of hardcore troll who hates his life...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By TheHT

the few at the top i've read are all lame save for the doom one.

@nanikore said:

" He's just finding the slightest mistakes in the articles and being an asshole.   "

mostly this. i'm sure that form of douchebaggery has an audience though.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've just stumbled across this. It's hilarious.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm glad i'm not the only one who often despairs at the ridiculous shit passing for game journalism. Out of interest, has he targeted giantbomb at all? I had a quick glance down the list and I couldn't immediately spot any giantbomb quotes...

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ArchScabby
@MattyFTM said:
" I've just stumbled across this. It's hilarious. "

No Caption Provided
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By JJOR64

Nice find.   :)

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Blueman
@MattyFTM said:
"I've just stumbled across this. It's hilarious. "

lol 
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By LackingSaint

Oh awesome, the world needs more God complex.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#49  Edited By Jazz

Wow..he must have his own server dedicated to the farce that is CVG.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FluxWaveZ

And here I thought this was a mod attempting to commit account suicide.  

I think the concept of that website is dumb.  Its sole existence relies on the mistakes of other websites?  It might be interesting and sometimes comedic, but it's a stupid idea to me.