• 62 results
#1 Posted by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

Inspired by Saints Row 4's super dumb Game of the Century edition, a more serious question: What do you think was the Game of the Century (GotC) for the 20th century?

I'll go by the Wikipedia definition of the 20th century, in which it ends on December 31, 2000, and started on January 1, 1901. Maybe a bunch of game mags and websites did this sort of thing back at the turn of the millenium, when everything had to be about the millenium, but if so, I don't remember it.

So have at it! Tell me what you think the Game of the Century was.

#2 Edited by CorruptedEvil (3306 posts) -

Kirby Super Star, no really that game is perfect and does everything it sets out to do (be fun and adorable) wonderfully. It hasn't aged at all either.

#3 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -

It's a tie between Ocarina of time and Deus Ex for me.

#4 Posted by Random45 (1209 posts) -

I'd award it for Pong for really starting out the home console market. It's not a good game at all by today's standards, but it was one of the first games to really kick start what we have today.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Earth hasn't even had video games for 100 years.

#6 Posted by Achaemenid (92 posts) -

I was about to be a smartass and say soccer or football, but Wikipedia says both games were invented in the 19th century.

#7 Edited by Pr1mus (3909 posts) -

Are we talking about our own favorites or are you asking for some sort of objectivity for best/most important game?

For my favorites, the top half of my top 10 all time favorites all came out before 2000, so take your pick between Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Parasite Eve, Resident Evil 2 or Super Mario 64.

"Objectively"... i'll go with Super Mario World.

Honestly, among my own personal favorites i think Super Mario 64 absolutely belongs in any discussions about greatest/most important games of all time. The others, not really. They're good to great in their own respective genre but none of them are "the best". Well maybe FFVI is the best jrpg.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11907 posts) -

I don't know. I have my own personal favorites, of course, but of those only Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger are really "important". Donkey Kong Country 2 is a very, very well-designed platformer but I don't know if I can call it "important".

Tennis For Two invented games, Pong seems to have kicked the whole fucking thing off, and Super Mario Bros. rescued it from an industry crash, so probably those.

#9 Posted by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, of course. What other game doubles as a fashion tip for the workplace?

#10 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -
#11 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5508 posts) -

Subjectively - A link to the past

Objectively - ? (There's too many for me to narrow it down to one definitive title.)

#12 Edited by TheHT (11261 posts) -

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2: Zombie Edition DLC: Epicness Raw Doggin: 2.0 Caesar Eskimo

Super Mario World first came out in 1990, so that's out. It's Deus Ex for me personally, but otherwise I'd say Ocarina of Time.

#13 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5479 posts) -

Super Metroid by an extremely wide margin.

#14 Edited by sravankb (99 posts) -

There is no objective answer to this question. FFS, game of the year awards are pretty fucking retarded as it is.

If you're asking for what we think is our personal favorite - it'll have to be Kingdom of Paradise for me.

#15 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -

Jeff probably has it right with Tetris.

#16 Posted by animathias (1186 posts) -

That's a tall order. One of the grandfather games like Pong, Tetris, Pac-Man, or Asteroids probably deserves the title more than anything else. But then you've got really important games that shaped the industry in their respective genres like Mario Bros / 3 / World, Super Metroid, Street Fighter 2, Doom, etc...

I'll probably have to go with Tetris. It's pure, simple, and extremely challenging at the same time. It's certainly one of the most important games of all time.

For my personal favorite, it'd be Super Mario World, easily. Fantastic level design, perfect controls, great powerups. It defined the modern platformer.

#17 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

There's the correct answer. You all can stop commenting now.

#18 Posted by BeachThunder (11936 posts) -

For me, personally, System Shock 2.

#19 Posted by mlarrabee (2957 posts) -

It kind of has to be Tetris, even though I don't enjoy it that much. It's basically the perfect game.

I knew I liked you for some reason! (Actually, I think I already knew you had a thing for SS2.)

#20 Posted by BeachThunder (11936 posts) -

It kind of has to be Tetris, even though I don't enjoy it that much. It's basically the perfect game.

@beachthunder said:

I knew I liked you for some reason! (Actually, I think I already knew you had a thing for SS2.)

Me and SS2 have actually been dating for a while now :o

#21 Posted by Slag (4377 posts) -

Tetris, is what it is.

Although Super Mario bros and Ms Pac-Man have to be on the short list.

#22 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1702 posts) -

@theht said:

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2: Zombie Edition DLC: Epicness Raw Doggin: 2.0 Caesar Eskimo

Super Mario World first came out in 1990, so that's out. It's Deus Ex for me personally, but otherwise I'd say Ocarina of Time.

What time period are you under the impression "20th century" covers? Super Mario World is absolutely a 20th century game.

#23 Posted by TheHT (11261 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: Oh derp. I misread the OP as 1991.

SUPER MARIO WORLD IT IS.

#24 Posted by friendlypossum (85 posts) -

Baldurs Gate 2 , the be all and end all.

#25 Posted by mlarrabee (2957 posts) -

@beachthunder: Just so you know, I actually have it installed right now. I hope that's cool. Just tell me when you're playing it; I don't want to... you know.

#26 Posted by csl316 (8674 posts) -

Baseketball. Would've been basketball but that was ten years too early.

Either Super Mario World or Doom.

#27 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5479 posts) -

Oh I wasn't counting 2000; it is now a tossup between Super Metroid and Vagrant Story.

#28 Edited by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

But you can finish Super Metroid in an afternoon! Because you don't get fucking lost all the time like on the NES! Clearly worse than NES Metroid. #1990sJeffGameReviewMentality

#29 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -

@theht: you have good taste friend.

#30 Posted by BlastProcessing (917 posts) -

Deus Ex

#31 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

Pretty sure the real winner would be Dungeons and Dragons, just sayin.

#32 Posted by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

@karkarov said:

Pretty sure the real winner would be Dungeons and Dragons, just sayin.

It's really interesting that D&D is kinda coming full circle, and as of 4th edition, is taking more cues from RPG video games of recent years. But yeah, D&D was incredibly influential on all early video game RPGs, both Western and Japanese. Then eventually it got weird as a lot of those series started copying each other and distilling certain ideas without even looking at D&D, to the point that video game RPGs became a whole different thing for the most part.

#33 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2775 posts) -

It is Tetris....there is no other answer. There are things that come close like Super Mario Bros or Space Invaders, but Tetris is the the only reasonable answer.

#34 Edited by GiantLizardKing (447 posts) -

Console: Super Mario World. The 2D side-scroller is probably the genre of the 20th century on consoles and Super Mario World is 2D Mario perfected.

PC: Probably Doom. Not my favorite but probably the most influential game and most universally enjoyed.

Arcade: Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Street Fighter II is the epitome of post 1980's 20th century arcade scene and Super Turbo is the best version.

Platform of the century: Console

So Super Mario World. Yeah that's the answer.

#35 Posted by EXTomar (4731 posts) -

Yahtzee. The game has an easy rule set that anyone who can understand counting can understand and enough luck that anyone can win. Probably a metaphor for the 20th Century in general.

#36 Posted by spankingaddict (2672 posts) -

OOT

#37 Posted by FUMN (84 posts) -

Ive heard chess is a pretty good game

#38 Posted by Trilogy (2654 posts) -

It's not tetris. I've never felt comfortable giving a game some accolade like "best game ever!!" based on how simple it is. It just feels like a cheap and easy answer to say that a game that you could not even enjoy is the best game ever because it's simple enough to not have a flaw. It rules out so many other great games that dared to do something more grand and innovative. Don't get me wrong, tetris is fucking awesome (imo), but I could never consider it the game of the decade, or best game ever. That being said...

@sravankb said:

There is no objective answer to this question.

This is actually how I feel about stuff like this, and that's why I can never get down with the idea that tetris, or other games like it, are the objective answer. I feel like most people saying that it's tetris are doing so out of what they feel is an objective obligation. Ultimately there is no objective answer, and even when I try to play devil's advocate in my head and try to think of one, it's all boring answers of games I don't actually feel are worthy of that status. There are plenty of subjective answers though! I'm not sure I've ever really nailed down my answer to this, but I think very highly of games like Super Mario 64 and Counter Strike. Counter strike feels like a weird answer for me because it was released in 1999, but when people think Counter strike, they think 1.6 (released in 2003). It's also a game that people really played outside of 1999 so maybe its not a great fit for the 20th century. Ocarina of Time would be another one of my favorites, although it's kind of an cliche answer.

#39 Edited by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

@fumn: Chess 1 was a big hit, no question there.

#40 Posted by StudsMcKewl (70 posts) -

Super Mario 3. That or Ocarina of Time. Honorable mentions to A Link to the past, Super Metroid, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger.

#41 Posted by Corvak (1075 posts) -

Chess existed before the 20th Century. But it's in the lead for 'Game of the Millenium'.

Of course, you can get into 'games I like a lotl' vs. 'most important'...both incredibly subjective terms. I could go with something like Monopoly, a game that popularized the idea of playing board games as a recreational activity for adults, or dungeons and dragons for the same reason. Or I could restrict it to video games, and argue for Super Mario Bros.

Were I to just go for what I like, i'd go for Diablo II for the sheer number of hours spent, or Quake, for being the game that really proved how important internet play was to become going forward, even if there are shooters I like more.

You know, calling something a 'game of the century edition' would be incredibly stupid and deserving of mockery...except in the case of Saints Row. I don't think Saints Row is the game of any century, but I think that label fits the over the top and super egotistical style. And i'm a fan of 'complete editions' so I can hold off on buying something and not have to go chasing after DLC.

#42 Edited by Shindig (354 posts) -

Lego Minecraft. When it's made, it will be.

#43 Edited by CornBREDX (5285 posts) -

Dark Souls

Oh wait, duh. Half Life. Was in the wrong century for a second there O.o sorry

#44 Posted by Hailinel (24794 posts) -

Donkey Kong. Without it, Nintendo wouldn't have had its biggest, earliest success in the arcades, and without it, events may have never led to the NES or the revitalization of the post-crash video game console market. At least not in any form we'd recognize.

Also, you chase an ape up a rickety construction site that's loaded with more barrels than any construction project would ever need.

#45 Edited by L33T_HAXOR (285 posts) -

Most important -- Super Mario Bros.

Favorite -- Ummmmm... I'll say Link to the Past

#46 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5479 posts) -

@corvak: Nah Chess would be in the conversation for "game of the ever" considering it's much older than a thousand years.

#47 Edited by PimblyCharles (1433 posts) -

Pong, Pacman, Tetris or Super Mario Bros.

#48 Posted by Kidflare (1 posts) -

Super Smash Bros 4

#49 Posted by mosespippy (4180 posts) -

Turns out Sudoku (or an early progenitor of sudoku) misses out by a couple years.

When I look at my top five games of all time only one is from the 20th century; Need For Speed: High Stakes. So I guess that's my answer.

#50 Posted by Gantrathor (210 posts) -

Tetris.