• 68 results
#1 Posted by Lifestrike (482 posts) -

Seeing as the Wii-U is coming pretty soon, I figured this would be a fun and suitably epic (actual meaning of the word... current generation spans eight years!) deliberation for Giant Bomb to discuss.

At least it could be an excuse for Vinny to deploy some pretty cool video effects.

Obviously the current generation has had so many revolutionary titles, it's unfair to choose one above the rest. But people love an absolute winner.

Forget gold, this game would get the platinum medal. Mayhaps even, the S medal.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#3 Edited by handlas (2675 posts) -

Does the release of the Wii-U signify the start of the next generation? I foresee still playing PS3/360 when the Wii U comes out. Well, one reason being I waited too long to preorder a Wii-U and now I can't find one.

Edit: Looks like everyone is just giving their opinion of what the GOTG is. He is saying he wants the Giantbomb crew to do it.... I would imagine they would choose Mass Effect 2. That would be my guess. My personal one would probably be Red Dead Redemption.

#4 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Unless you're going to do what Imephisto did, this is not going to be very scientific or effective.

#5 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2291 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever

#6 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

Blackwater

#7 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11624 posts) -

Considering that I have trouble ranking games I like in any particular order during any sort of GOTY discussion, the idea that someone could take all of the great games from this hardware cycle and decide on a singular definitive one seems entirely stupid.

#8 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6154 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

Considering that I have trouble ranking games I like in any particular order during any sort of GOTY discussion, the idea that someone could take all of the great games from this hardware cycle and decide on a singular definitive one seems entirely stupid.

This. Wait. No. Record of Agarest War. That wins every award ever. Best Foreign Film? Record of Agarest War. Best game of this generation? Record of Agarest War. Best flavor of soda? Record of Agarest War. Best font in a newspaper article about the beatboxing skills of a local high school kid? Record of Agarest War.

#9 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4

#10 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2361 posts) -

Big Rigs

#11 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

You might be able to narrow down your genre of interest enough to make a judgement like this, but picking a single game from many different ones is not viable. Even saying "best FPS game" is a bit broad, as the mix of different styles (with RPG and other additions ignored) is still enough to make the games play entirely differently. Try to compare Serious Same 3 to Gears of War and you have the immediate style preference.

Although, throwing all that out the windows, I guess the real winner of this generation is Call of Duty (the franchise, not a particular game) for making the most money. Using money as the metric at least means you are talking about a directly comparable stick (but a bit silly to note on a gaming site, as that only really matters for large Activision shareholders).

#12 Posted by Lifestrike (482 posts) -

@Inkerman:

I was more just putting forward the idea, so that the Giantbomb crew could see whether the community reacts positively to the idea. Save them a little trouble.

However, I'd love it if people discuss their opinions. My personal choice would be Super Mario Galaxy, for being the purest form of unpretentious, honest video game adventuring yet. Exploring worlds, testing your skills in wonderful lands. It's a video game's video game.

#13 Posted by EVO (3891 posts) -

It may not be the best game, but Wii Sports is undeniably the game that defined this generation.

#14 Posted by Lifestrike (482 posts) -

@Zekhariah: You're completely right. The real winner is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. And there are a ton of different metrics in which to judge a game.

However, a pertinent way to judge a Game of the Generation could be influence on future games. In which case, Gears of War is a strong contender. It's influenced a great number of games this generation, perhaps more than any other.

#15 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

The Witcher. AC: Brotherhood on console.

#16 Edited by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

I think I would pick Braid. Not only is it a great game that tells a really cool story it signified a big change in game development, distribution, and pricing. It was the starting point in the trend of the growing independent developer scene, legitimized digital distribution for a wide audience, and developed a new standard of quality for games that don't sell at the standard, retail price. It was able to show that a $15 digital-only games made by small teams can not only be as important but sell as well as a $60 retail games made by much larger teams. It may very well go down as one of the most important starting points for an all digital-distribution marketplace for video games.

#17 Posted by EVO (3891 posts) -

@Lifestrike said:

@Zekhariah: You're completely right. The real winner is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. And there are a ton of different metrics in which to judge a game.

However, a pertinent way to judge a Game of the Generation could be influence on future games. In which case, Gears of War is a strong contender. It's influenced a great number of games this generation, perhaps more than any other.

Nah, Cod influenced way more than Gears.

#18 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

It has to be CoD4. I remember playing in the beta and realizing this game was going to be monumental. I don't know if I have ever had more fun playing a game for the first time, only thing I can think of that rivals it is WoW. Sure like everyone else I got bored after a couple more installments, but you cannot deny it's impact and just how good the game really was/is.

#19 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

While it is still too early (there is still this Q4 and next year for the ps3/360) I'd go with red dead redemption.

#20 Posted by Tomzombie (396 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

Duke Nukem Forever

i go with that cues its possable to make a game even after 15 years of saying ill be done. but all expectations fall short of reallity. but also COD4 is pirty good cues it brought FPS into the Market for a long perido wich is kind of on its down fall sence 2011.

#21 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

XCom.

#22 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I have a tough time picking one but Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, Mass Effect 1 and (boldly) LA Noire are definitely up there. I wouldn't include Mass Effect 2 because I see the first game having more influence being the first one to do the kinds of things it did. ME2 was more a really good game that built upon what the first did and I feel that isn't enough to make it a contender. I only put LA Noire up there because that is probably the first game in the history gaming that truly brought life-like acting successfully into a real-time gaming environment and will definitely have an eventual influence in the future of games for years.

Game of the Generation to me doesn't mean what was the best game to play so much as what made the biggest impact on gaming as a whole. I'm sure plenty of people will name plenty of games but I wonder how many of them are naming games based on the impacts it had on gaming vs how many are just voting their favourite game from this generation. That would be interesting to find out as a separate poll I reckon, just to get a rough idea what people think on that one.

#23 Edited by tourgen (4465 posts) -

We have at least another 13 months left in this console generation. Wii-U is current-gen hardware.

Gears of War had a large effect on the gaming industry: co-op campaign that worked and was fun, popularized the 3rd person cover system and made it easy to use, Horde Mode. Also a new scifi setting that was at least a little bit interesting, and it really showed off the Unreal tech at the time - probably partly responsible for it showing up in so many other third party games.

#24 Posted by Masakari (72 posts) -

Yep, agreed. Gears was one of the more influencial games due to popularizing third person shooters, cover systems, horde modes, and helping sell countless UE3 licenses.

Still, every "best thing ever" award is a bit pointless, too many games in too many genres have been important.

#25 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Dark Souls, nothing else is even close.

#26 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

BioShock

#27 Edited by Nightriff (4990 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Metal Gear Solid 4

Easily my choice unless Persona 4 counts but that probably is considered last gen, LATE last gen

#28 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 2.

#29 Posted by themangalist (1731 posts) -

How bout Rapelay.

#30 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Snobs don't want to acknowledge it but the answer is Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Most successful franchise of the generation and legitimate great game.

#31 Posted by face15 (1291 posts) -

Uncharted 2, but fuck, Red Dead Redemption was god damn amazing too.

Hopefully The Last of Us can trump them both.

#32 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -

duh its codblops 

#33 Posted by fiberpay (282 posts) -

Not my personal favorite, but clearly numbers wise it is the COD franchise.

#34 Posted by CJduke (788 posts) -

Starcraft 2

#35 Posted by MKSKILLZ16 (130 posts) -

Dokapon Kingdom (Wii)

#36 Posted by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -

I do not count the Wii U's release as part of the new generation. As far as I'm concerned, we got at least another year left. And some big-ass releases to boot!

#37 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Weird. I was actually very recently thinking about this exact topic. I would love if the Giant Bomb crew did a GOTG series of podcasts. Maybe they could be a premium feature?

My personal GOTG would probably be Mass Effect 2, but we've still got a ways to go yet.

#38 Edited by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

Still waaaaaaay too soon. The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Halo 4 and Bioshock Infinite are four huge games that have yet to be released. I'm guessing one of the two Sony exclusives is going to be the last big game we see with this set of hardware. I would really have to think about my absolute favorite. I am going to say inFamous 2, as if nothing else it is easily one of my favorites along with Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, LittleBigPlanet and a bunch of other games.

#39 Posted by MURDERSMASH (251 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 could easily win this category. CoD 4, while I've yet to play it, might be it as well, considering how it completely changed the FPS landscape and has elevated Call of Duty to one of the biggest franchises in entertainment.

#40 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@tourgen: Doesn't really matter what hardware is in the Wii U. It's kicking off the next console generation.

Gears of War 3 was a pretty solid game... Part of me wants to say Burnout Paradise, or maybe one of the Assassins Creed (Probably my favorite series to come out of this gen). I've never been good at being able to point at one thing that's superior, come tomorrow i'd think of a different group of games. All I know is that if someone mentions uncharted ill shake my head.

#41 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@Lifestrike:

I gave an answer but just for clarification what are the qualifications for 'game of the generation'? Is it the game that we feel will have the most impact with future generations? The game that was the most impactful for the generation that the game belonged to? Because if it was the game that had the biggest impact on future generations I'll stick with my pick of Braid (people can see my original post for my reasoning). If it was the game that had the biggest impact on the generation it belonged to then it was COD 4.

#42 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2469 posts) -

None? Indie and Japanese stuff aside, with a few exceptions these are some of the most creatively bankrupt years in gaming history. The original Dead Space is a game I would consider such an exeption

#43 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

It doesn't get narrowed down to one, nice and tidy-like.

Mechanically, you have to consider Gears of War and Modern Warfare. You just have to. Between the two of them they reshaped shooters--this generation's most popular and iconic genre--almost entirely.

Narratively, Mass Effect pushed video game narratology into a different plane altogether, and Red Dead Redemption legitimized video game writing as a way to tell a linear, but literary story, without neglecting the player's agency as party to the story's unfolding.

Aesthetically? Well, Gears and Modern Warfare are again important, but so are indie titles. Think about Braid and Limbo. Minecraft, and all the games that were brave enough in this age to stray from hyper-realism.

Conceptually? Portal might not have swept up the elderly-in-nursing-homes demographic, but it was a reinvention of the puzzle genre.

Technologically? Wii Sports is a fucking monolith. Denying that is absurd. But during this generation we also had the rise of the music/rhythm game. Guitar Hero spin-offs and multiple Rock Bands.

The populist look--does World of Warcraft still count, despite being an eight-year-old title?

#44 Posted by Sweep (8844 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 is the only real answer here.

#45 Posted by Baillie (4080 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption.

I loved Mass Effect 2, but I preferred the first and I don't think the first warrants game of the generation. I massively enjoyed Gears of War and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, but I really don't think popularity means it's the best.

#46 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
#47 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

Dark Souls, nothing else is even close.

#48 Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1208 posts) -

I was gonna say Skyrim, but I read through the posts and yeah I think CoD 4 is the right answer

#49 Posted by Hanzoadam (9 posts) -

Valkyria Chronilces

#50 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

It's not my favourite, but Uncharted 2 gets my pick. CoD4 loses some of its impact because of how many entries in the series have come after it already. I think Uncharted came right at the peak of this generation and sort of took the world by storm.