This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) 10 months, 12 days ago

Poll: Game of the Generation Preliminaries: Gears of War series (205 votes)

Gears of War 27%
Gears of War 2 31%
Gears of War 3 42%

Main thread here.

This should be the penultimate preliminary unless there are any other series that desperately need one. I can see this coming down to what your interpretation of game of the generation is. Does it mean the most influential game (probably Gears 1)? The 'best' game in terms of features and gameplay (probably Gears 3)? Or just your personal favourite (for me, Gears 2)? It's up you to decide what you want game of the generation to mean. Get your votes in by midnight GMT/4pm PST.

#1 Posted by hippocrit (240 posts) -

Gears 3 had pretty colors.

#2 Posted by BeefyGrandmole (350 posts) -

Gears 2 had the first horde mode but I picked gears 3 because it had a better horde mode

#3 Edited by GunstarRed (5186 posts) -

Without a doubt, the sheer amount of improvements made to just about everything in single player to the insane upgrades to Horde, like all of the tower defense stuff made it an almost completely different game. And then there's Beast, tons of multiplayer options and some of the best visuals in any game this generation.

The campaign is fantastic, giving every member of Delta their moment to shine and has some of the most emotional moments I have ever felt in a game (yeah, fuck you.) I honestly don't think any other shooter series has as much personality as Gears does. The first game is fantastic and Horde made 2 a very good game, but was brought down by a kinda meh campaign. I loved the more WW2-ish feeling the first game had, but the improvements made in 3 overshadow anything in it.

#4 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

I picked 2 because I don't play multiplayer, and I thought Gears 3 had a disappointing story. Not that the series is known for its amazing storytelling, but 2 was crappy in a good way and it felt like it knew the story had to serve the game and not the other way around. The giant worm makes little sense in the fiction, but it's a great idea for a level so they found a way to work it in there. It was just fun.

#5 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Gears 1 is the best gears. There is no competition.

Gears is a multiplayer game. Grading gears based on its single player is like grading battlefield on its singleplayer.

#6 Posted by Gatehouse (625 posts) -

I'm really split on this, as they all have truly outstanding sections. The first game had the rain-drenched thunderstorm that just oozed atmosphere and left my jaw on the floor, 2 had the incredible section when you're trying to escape from the inside of a giant worm (followed by my favourite piece of John DiMaggio VO) and Horde Mode and 3 had Ice T. Hmmm, I'll go for 2 I think, but I think this series really was a cracking one.

#7 Posted by onyxghost (309 posts) -

I went with Gears 2. With an "of the generation" vote in mind I sank way more hours into 2 than any other in the series.?

#8 Posted by golguin (3928 posts) -

Gears of War 3 since I put the most amount of hours into that one. It also had my favorite single player campaign of the series.

#9 Posted by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -

The original Gears blew me away and was in large part the reason I bought a 360. By the time 2 and 3 came out, cover based third person shooters was done to death and I didn't finish any of them.

#10 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

On one hand, I would make a serious case for Gears of War being THE game of the generation, but it's not my favourite in the series... I still don't know which to pick

#11 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

Which one of you monsters voted for GeoW2!?

#12 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1746 posts) -

While I don't think any game in this series is nearly deserving enough of being considered for the "best of the generation", I surprisingly enjoyed 3 quite a bit after having not really cared for one and thinking 2 was okay. Strictly speaking of the single-player. I'm not at all fond of Gears' style of multiplayer.

#13 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Man... I've played all 3 and I can't remember the difference between any of them. 3 I didn't much care for.... was it 2 or 1 that had that ending where you shoot a lava monster on a helicopter... and then the game just ends? 2? If so... my vote goes for 1.

#14 Edited by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Gears 2 this really isn't even a question. Its the sweet spot for this franchise just like MK2 is for Mortal Kombat.

#15 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1703 posts) -

If you're talking which is game simply the best, it's Gears 3 without a doubt. It had the most refinements to the gameplay, 4 player co-op, improved horde mode, the best story of any game in the series, the best presentation of any game in the series, and vastly improved multiplayer. It was also probably the least important, because the first game popularized cover based third person shooters and Gears 2 created a co-op mode that pretty much every shooter since has copied.

I still voted Gear 3. I view it as the absolute perfect Gears game, I don't think you could really make a Gears game much better than Gear 3.

#16 Posted by MEATBALL (3241 posts) -

Gears 2 is probably my favourite. Gears 3 is fantastic as well, though. Both sequels are better than the original.

#17 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3835 posts) -

I have to do as I have on all these and vote Gears 1 (2nd most influential game this gen? Could be argued most... that or CoD 4) but I think Gears 3 was really outstanding as far as refinements. Horde mode in that is better than anything in the series.

Close but I still have to vote 1. So influential.

#18 Posted by mrfluke (5155 posts) -

shit, this is a tough one as the fight is between gears 1 and gears 3.

id give it to gears 3.

#19 Posted by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

Which is why it's the worst of the 3 main Gears games. Gears 1 is best with its thematic integrity still intact.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (24807 posts) -

@hippocrit said:

Which is why it's the worst of the 3 main Gears games. Gears 1 is best with its thematic integrity still intact.

Bland art direction doesn't equate to thematic integrity.

#21 Posted by hippocrit (240 posts) -

@hippocrit said:

Thematic integrity? Dude, it's a popcorn shooter.

#22 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

Gears 2 man.

#23 Posted by Vanick (332 posts) -

I think 3 might be the best all around but 1 was the first game that really showed me what the 360 was capable of.

#24 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3835 posts) -
@hailinel said:

@cptbedlam said:

@hippocrit said:

Bland art direction doesn't equate to thematic integrity.

The art wasn't bland. It had a great look. It just wasn't colorful.

#25 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3327 posts) -

Gears was the first "next-gen" experience I had, so pretty hard to shake that first wow.

It's funny how time changes things - I don't remember anyone at the time of GoW's release crying about bland colours - it wasn't until ever other game that copied Gears came out that we got into this "games are so grey right now" phase. The original Gears really popped at the time.

#26 Posted by Veektarius (4836 posts) -

Gears 3 didn't have innovation on its side, but it stands right beside Skyrim as the game that gave the most to its fans right out of the box. It was the best possible way to send off a franchise (and don't even mention Judgment to me)

#27 Posted by civid (431 posts) -

Just played through Gears of War 1 and it totally holds up. The atmosphere is thick as Fenix neck, the monster and world-designs are amazing and the shooting is still top class. Gears of War 2 was kind of a dissapointment to me, the campaign felt slap-dash and lousy (that giant worm part was fucking awfull) so I never bothered to play Gears of War 3.

#28 Posted by guiseppe (2841 posts) -

The first GoW game had the biggest impact on me and also the one I had the most fun with. So that wins.

#29 Posted by Juzie (168 posts) -

The original Gears blew me away and was in large part the reason I bought a 360. By the time 2 and 3 came out, cover based third person shooters was done to death and I didn't finish any of them.

Pretty much this.

#30 Posted by HistoryInRust (6315 posts) -

Gears 1 is best with its thematic integrity still intact.

lol

#31 Posted by gaminghooligan (1447 posts) -

Gears 3, best selection of modes for the multiplayer, the brighter and vibrant colors, and that awesome prequel dlc give it an easy edge.

#32 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Gears 3 was, by far, the most polished experience of the three so I vote for that.

#33 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

Gears 2 had the most memorable moments and added more to the franchise than 3, IMO.

#34 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

1. Can't remember the last time I had hype for a game like I had for that one. I downloaded the GameTrailers videos and used to watch them over and over just to be awed by all the weather effects on that mansion map.

#35 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (5054 posts) -

GOW 2, BUT GOW 3 was polished as fuck so gow3.

#36 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Gears 3 has one of the best multiplayer mode's of any game. Each weapon could be used to good effect and it had a lot of great maps. The horde mode is just simply incredible with new additions and bosses added to it. The campaign was long and fun and had a better art direction then previous games. I'll go with Gears 3.

#37 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

Gears 1, while short as fuck, was such an amazing experience. Truly the first '' next-gen '' experience for the 360. It was the definition of what you'd want from an Xbox360 game back in the day. It redefined graphics and gameplay for third person shooters. Plus, it never had any framerate problems, always staying smooth. What an incredible series, although Gears2 disappointed me with its subterranean campaign. Gears 3 reached near perfection with its superb campaign and great MP. I hope we'll get something like than on the Xbone.

#38 Posted by Jimbo (9811 posts) -

If you don't end up with Gears 1 on your 'Game of the Generation' shortlist then you may as well rip it up and start again. Gears 2 & 3 are just two games; Gears 1 is one of the two defining games of the generation.

#39 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -

The people have spoken and Gears of War 3 wins with 43% of the vote and 166 votes cast.