• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) 10 months, 24 days ago

Poll: Game of the Generation Preliminaries: Portal 1 vs. 2 (515 votes)

Portal 43%
Portal 2 57%

Main thread here.

We've got few more preliminaries to go before we can get to the main event and this, for me, is the toughest head-to-head. I love both Portal and Portal 2 very dearly and would include both of them in bracket if I could. Portal was the dark horse of The Orange Box and instantly established itself as a classic with its mix of witty humour and inventive puzzles. Portal 2 proved a worthy follow-up to a game which didn't necessarily lend itself to a sequel by expanding the scope of Aperture and introducing new, hilarious characters to supplement GlaDOS. Get your votes in by 8am GMT/midnight PST when this poll closes.

#1 Edited by mrfluke (5193 posts) -

portal 2 by far,

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
俺の返事です。

#3 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

#4 Edited by weegieanawrench (1940 posts) -

Portal 2, the world was fleshed out well, and there was more of a story. Portal 1 in comparison feels like a proof of concept with a very straightforward plot: murder the shit out of GLaDOS and escape. It was just way more out there too. See above.

#5 Posted by ChrisTaran (1621 posts) -

Portal one is a far more significant contribution to the industry. 2 was great, but it owes everything to 1.

#6 Posted by Itwongo (1207 posts) -

No question. I had loads more fun in 2 than 1.

#7 Posted by Atlas (2449 posts) -

Oof, that's a tough one. Portal is clearly the more influential and important of the two, but it's also 2-3 hours long and less mechanically dense than Portal 2. Portal is stripped down, super tight, super focused. Portal 2 proved that you could stretch the concept out into a full 8-10 hour game - and have more than one voiced character - but lost some of the consistency of the original; it's much harder to be witty and constantly engaging for 8 hours than it is for 3 hours.

Might be the minority opinion, but Portal 2 gets my vote. It's masterfully designed, incredibly funny, and totally unforgettable. Not that the original Portal isn't all of those things, too, but Portal 2 is bigger, longer, louder, and bolder than the original, and is therefore inherently more impressive as an achievement, as far as I'm concerned.

#8 Posted by hippocrit (241 posts) -

2 pushed me forward with more than just puzzles.

#9 Edited by TheBluthCompany (389 posts) -

Portal 2 has Wheatley and Nolan North voiced characters. It wins

Portal 2 has my all time favorite ending ever. Jaw was on the floor from the Moon onward.

#10 Posted by UlquioKani (1066 posts) -

I loved the story and the new mechanics in Portal 2. I felt like they completed what they were trying to do with Portal 2.

#11 Edited by hermes (1495 posts) -

Portal 1 was a quirky little game thrown as an afterthought in the Orange Box and based on one single, well executed idea. It was good, but short, laser focused and with only one character. Under those circumstances, I was afraid Valve would not be able to pull off a sequel for an entire retail game.

Good to see I was wrong. Portal 2 is better in almost every single way...

#12 Posted by Mocca_Bear (62 posts) -

Portal was pretty amazing, but it arguably aged pretty badly. Portal 2 took everything that made the original such a success and turned everything up to 11 while omitting those horrendous "energy ball" puzzles. Objectively quite an easy choice...

#13 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (184 posts) -

Absolutely loved being able to carry Steve Merchant about, big fan of his, and Portal 2 was fantastic from start to finish...but Portal did things to me video games shouldn't do so I have to give the 1st one my vote.

#14 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

2, no contest.

#15 Posted by Vanick (332 posts) -

I liked Portal but I thought Portal 2 did everything better and the voice acting in 2 was fantastic.

#16 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Portal is more important in the context of influential games. But Portal 2 is an overall better game.

#17 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5591 posts) -

Portal 2 took what made the first game great and made it amazing.

#18 Posted by RioStarwind (547 posts) -

All Portal 1 did was set up a really great setting. Portal 2 then delivered on everything else. So my vote goes to the 2nd game.

#19 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1140 posts) -

Portal was good when it came out, but Portal 2 blew it out of the water. It has more to it than the first one does. The puzzles are a bit more challenging with the addition of the different slime attributes. Also the coop mode added even more challenges that I didn't feel the first one had.

#20 Edited by DFL017 (137 posts) -

Portal 1 was perfect

#21 Posted by JadeGL (883 posts) -

Portal. Better story, more contained, funnier and more scary, just a perfect game all around.

The only thing that makes it a debate is the co-op in 2 as opposed to the singular focus of 1. I adore both games, but 2 was more of what I liked while the first game was a revelation to me.

#22 Edited by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

What the fuck.

Yeah, some may argue Portal 2 was a better game, but it had nowhere near the cultural impact Portal 1 had. Portal 1 fucking changed videogames.

#23 Edited by Mezmero (1930 posts) -

I didn't like the moments in Portal 2 between actual test chambers where you're traversing larger expansive areas. The levels looked good but it was basically a photo hunt to find the one tiny spot in the huge environment that can make a portal. Portal 1 probably looked too sterile but the experience really was one of a kind at the time. It was just long enough to sell me on the idea of the game play without over staying its welcome. The moment I realized how the portals worked in part 1 I was like, "HOLY SHIT!". When I experienced the various gels in Portal 2 I could only think, "Oh that was neat." The writing may not have been as sharp or plentiful as the sequel but I wouldn't have even been interested in a sequel without the amazing first-person puzzle platforming that was Portal and it came in one of Valve's first and best bundle deals of all time. I vote for the cake.

#24 Posted by HistoryInRust (6321 posts) -

Huh. I guess I shouldn't be super surprised by this outcome.

Portal 2 clearly has more to offer. It actually spins that familiar atmosphere into something still alien and intriguing. Wheatley is an obvious highlight. Potato Glados, another. Also, that ending.

All that aside, I much prefer the knowing, minimalistic concision of the original. That's a game whose creators knew when their welcome had been fully worn. During my experience with Portal 2 the game became, after a certain point, a little tiresome, mechanically. And while I appreciated that the humor and writing had shouldered its way with brute force to the forefront of Portal 2's experience, I lamented (and, perhaps, understood) the suddenly evanescent magic of feeling like I'd accidentally stumbled upon some darkly humorous undercurrent. It was right there. Handed to me. A big, angled, neon arrow pointing straight down at it to waypoint its location.

Voting for the original. Will be sad to see it lose.

#25 Posted by Roboculus92 (520 posts) -

Portal 2 is better than Portal in just about every way (Portal has the better ending song). I thought Portal was a short and nice little experience (surprise hit of the Orange box you could say) but Portal 2 just expanded and improved upon it so much that there's no way I couldn't choose it.

#26 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (184 posts) -

@monkeyman04: I found the puzzles in 2 way easier, I just made my way through the game and didn't get stuck or even feel particularly challenged at any point. I never got that 'so wtf am I meant to do here then' feeling that I did in most of the 2nd half of Portal. Maybe I just got the knack of thinking with portals by then, idk.

#27 Posted by Levius (1142 posts) -

This is pretty tough. Portal was really special, but 2 was just better fleshed out and had J K Simmons. I went for Portal, but I am really torn on this one. It's wierd, all of these polls so far have come down to whether you like the raw groundbreaking game, or the polished, but safer sequel.

#28 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

I personally found the middle of Portal 2 to be really weak in comparison with the super strong opening and enjoyable finale. But Portal was such a delightful surprise that I have to give it the nod

#29 Posted by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

Some people cant resist that hawt reddit infused sense of humor :(

It's portal for me...

#30 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -

Portal 1 for the sheer ingenuity. The brilliant Lemons rant from Portal 2 makes it close though.

#31 Edited by mosespippy (4205 posts) -

Merge TF2, Half Life 2 Episode 2 and Portal into The Orange Box and that'll create space for more games in the bracket. You could still have Portal 2 in the bracket if you want but I think Portal being included in the Orange Box is good enough.

#32 Edited by BeachThunder (11990 posts) -

Portal 1 was 'perfect', but Portal 2 had a greater scope and was much more fleshed out. So, unfortuanely, I'm going with Portal 2.

I am still incredibly grateful for Portal 1 for sparking up mainstream interest in puzzle games.

#33 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

Portal was just so out of nowhere I have to go that, with respect to 2 and that it is also great.

#34 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11796 posts) -

Portal 1 does a great job at doing more with less... but it also created and popularized the "Cake is a Lie" meme that was quickly run into the ground circa 2008.

So Portal 2 by default.

#35 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (293 posts) -

I liked Portal 2, but definitely liked the humor and tone of Portal 1 much more. Portal 2 got a little too wacky and over-the-top.

#36 Edited by AngriGhandi (779 posts) -

These poll results are crazy talk.

Portal 1 is important. Portal 2 is not.

Portal 1 is both a subversive commentary on games, and also a great game that innovated for the entire medium. Portal 2 is only a great game. (With some extra pandering thrown in.)

Portal 1 will be looked at for years to come for the impact it had on pretty much everything, while still being fantastic in its own right. Portal 2 is just another Portal-style game. (But longer.)

We're talking Die Hard versus Die Hard 2 here. There's just no question which one matters more, and deserves more praise and acclaim-- both for what it is, and for what it did.

COME ON.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#37 Posted by Milkman (16846 posts) -

Portal 1 is more "important" but Portal 2 is undeniably better.

#38 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@milkman said:

Portal 1 is more "important" but Portal 2 is undeniably better.

My feelings as well.

J.K. Simmons, you guys!

#39 Edited by Kidavenger (3569 posts) -

I really can't believe the results of any of these polls, AC2 robbed at the last minute, ME2 had better game play but that's it, everything else about it doesn't compare to the first one, I haven't played New Vegas yet so i'll shut up about that one...

Portal was an event in gaming, it was a revelation, Portal 2 was a great game, I think it was my game of the year the year it came out, but it's not Portal.

#40 Posted by tourgen (4515 posts) -

2 compromised gameplay just a bit by factoring in the imprecision and general slowness of gamepads into the puzzle designs. I think it made up for it in other areas: more gameplay features, an editor, more depth to the setting.

#41 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11129 posts) -

I think Portal was cool, Portal 2 was disappointing.

#42 Posted by Demoskinos (14878 posts) -

Portal 1 man. I thought 2 was great but it got you wrapped up in dragging you through awfully boring areas for narrative reasons. The first with its subtle narrative and much more distilled focus on puzzles was much more appealing to me.

#43 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1771 posts) -
@historyinrust said:

Huh. I guess I shouldn't be super surprised by this outcome.

Portal 2 clearly has more to offer. It actually spins that familiar atmosphere into something still alien and intriguing. Wheatley is an obvious highlight. Potato Glados, another. Also, that ending.

All that aside, I much prefer the knowing, minimalistic concision of the original. That's a game whose creators knew when their welcome had been fully worn. During my experience with Portal 2 the game became, after a certain point, a little tiresome, mechanically. And while I appreciated that the humor and writing had shouldered its way with brute force to the forefront of Portal 2's experience, I lamented (and, perhaps, understood) the suddenly evanescent magic of feeling like I'd accidentally stumbled upon some darkly humorous undercurrent. It was right there. Handed to me. A big, angled, neon arrow pointing straight down at it to waypoint its location.

Voting for the original. Will be sad to see it lose.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. I much prefer the sensibilities and brevity of the original over "IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE SHE'S A POTATO, RIGHT!?"

#44 Edited by mikey87144 (1781 posts) -

You can't beat the cake is a lie. That moment of absolute surprise when you realize this game is more than what you think it is. You can't beat it.

#45 Posted by NTM (7411 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

portal 2 by far,

I was just saying that exact same thing, and it's the first comment.

#46 Posted by Buneroid (428 posts) -

Portal 2 because I played co op with a friend and it was fucking hilarious. Also:

You fire a portal at the moon.

#47 Posted by Hunter5024 (5707 posts) -

You guys are crazy.

#48 Posted by Wuddel (2094 posts) -

Portal 2 was much better, but that reveal in 1 was great. They really are one thing IMHO.

#49 Edited by Pr1mus (3934 posts) -

Portal is a nice idea but playing Portal 2 was magical.

#50 Posted by TheHT (11376 posts) -

Portal 1 was an incredible game. Being dropped into a strange place and developing an understanding of the world and essentially what kind of game you're playing only to have that all completely subverted was one of the most unforgettable experiences of this generation.

Turning that corner and seeing the flames, the cold tone of GLaDOS shifting from sarcastic to nefarious, seeing Black Mesa all over power-point presentations, finding out what GLaDOS did to the facility and why. Valve took a neat idea, made a little game showcasing that neat idea, and then half-way through turned it into something you were suddenly deeply invested in. It exceeded all expectations.

Portal 2 was well made, had some great writing, built upon the portal mechanic (while also restricting it), but felt like a real by-the-numbers sequel. Personality spheres, closing song, GLaDOS being GLaDOS. It did nothing special.