This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by mracoon (4967 posts) 9 months, 23 days ago

Poll: Game of the Generation Preliminaries: Some DS games (219 votes)

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors 18%
Elite Beat Agents 12%
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective 25%
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations 16%
The World Ends With You 18%
Professor Layton and the Curious Village 11%

Main thread here.

This is a slightly of a weird preliminary. I want another DS game in the bracket. I think it should be one of these games. They're all passionately loved by their fanbases and cover somewhat of a similar niche. Of course none of these games are likely to get far but by including them it should make the bracket a bit more fun and varied. I'm sure there's several other DS games of the same ilk that could be up here too but at some point we need to actually start the main bracket and these seem the to have most support in the GB community. Feel free to complain, though.

And yes, I know Trials and Tribulations came out originally on the GBA but that was only in Japan and it's first non-Japanese release was on the DS, so I'm going to count it. Also, I picked Trials and Tribulations because it seemed the most popular Ace Attorney game but if it wins and people really want a different entry in the series then I'll hold another poll for that. Same goes for Professor Layton. This poll ends at 2am GMT/ 6pm PST so make sure to vote before then.

#1 Edited by vikingdeath1 (953 posts) -

I'll vote for TWEWY because everyone's gonna pick ghost trick or elite beat agents.

oh man... that ending of 999 though...... Best DS Moment?

#2 Posted by RazielCuts (2950 posts) -

I think I'd pick any of those 6 over Dragon Quest IX personally as they each did something uniquely different. And I'd throw my hat in the ring for Hotel Dusk: Room 215.

As it stands though I picked Ghost Trick because that game doesn't get enough love. (Which I fully admit probably isn't in the spirit of Game of the Generation but yeah, for the same reason I think 999 will win just because of the fervour it had on the site).

#3 Posted by mosespippy (4119 posts) -

Professor Layton is so damn good and yes, Curious Village is the best in the series.

#4 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

Wow, I really don't use my DS very much. I play a lot of games, but the only one on that list is Prof. Layton. Luckily, I really liked it, so it get's the nod

#5 Posted by ThunderSlash (1685 posts) -

Wow, this generation has been going on for so long that I wasn't aware that I played the Ace Attorney games all in this gen. The Ace Attorney games are damn good.

#6 Posted by Hailinel (24409 posts) -

God damn, this is a tough choice, but I'm throwing my vote behind TWEWY.

I think I'd pick any of those 6 over Dragon Quest IX personally as they each did something uniquely different. And I'd throw my hat in the ring for Hotel Dusk: Room 215.

As it stands though I picked Ghost Trick because that game doesn't get enough love. (Which I fully admit probably isn't in the spirit of Game of the Generation but yeah, for the same reason I think 999 will win just because of the fervour it had on the site).

Dragon Quest IX deserves to be in the bracket, as well. Also, as of right now, Ghost Trick is actually in the lead by a substantial margin.

#7 Posted by LackingSaint (1788 posts) -

Aren't all of those games really good? Seems a little unfair to make them all duke it out right here just because they're on handheld platforms.

#8 Edited by MX (228 posts) -

Those are all amazing games, and eliminating all but one in a single poll, kind off doesn't feel right

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

oh man... that ending of 999 though...... Best DS Moment?

#10 Edited by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -

The World Ends With You. Probably in my top 25 games of all time.

#11 Posted by L1GHTN1N (448 posts) -

You people not picking Elite Beat Agents are terrible people! TERRIBLE!

#12 Edited by BeachThunder (11847 posts) -

Ghost Trick for me. Everything about that game was spot on. You know a game is great when the most negative critique I have is that one of the animations seemed too rigid.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (24409 posts) -

@l1ghtn1n said:

You people not picking Elite Beat Agents are terrible people! TERRIBLE!

I'm sorry. I'm so, so, sorry. :( Blame @mracoon. He's turned this into Sophie's Choice, but without the threat of a child's death.

#14 Edited by Animasta (14673 posts) -

this actually was the hardest one I had to vote on but it can't be anything but ghost trick.

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (11847 posts) -
#16 Posted by Guesty_01 (340 posts) -

999 was great, no doubt. But the answer is Elite Beat Agents. That game was fun as hell, fuck the haters that pretended to turn their noses up at the song choice or praised the Japanese version instead. It was an absolute joy to play through.

#17 Posted by Krataur (357 posts) -

@mx said:

Those are all amazing games, and eliminating all but one in a single poll, kind off doesn't feel right

I agree, but the bracket's full of more deserving games already. Like...Deadly Premonition!

/sarcasm

#18 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5428 posts) -

My vote went to 999, but they're all really great games.

#19 Posted by mosespippy (4119 posts) -

@krataur said:

@mx said:

I agree, but the bracket's full of more deserving games already. Like...Deadly Premonition!

/sarcasm

Yeah, in reality there is enough deserving games for a 128 game bracket.

#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11626 posts) -

Ghost Trick might have a pretty dumb ending twist, but man did I like that game anyways.

#21 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3228 posts) -

Ghost Trick really surprised me. Funny enough the first time I played it was on iOS. And hooo boy let me tell you - comparing Ghost Trick to the games on iOS is fucking staggeringly HILARIOUS.

#22 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

Gotta go with Ghost Trick.

#23 Edited by jeffrud (382 posts) -

I'm calling MONSTERS on everybody choosing games not called ELITE BEAT AGENTS.

#24 Posted by AlisterCat (5532 posts) -

That is the best phoenix wright game in the whore series. I had to choose it over ghost trick which is a shame.

#25 Posted by Flappy (2198 posts) -

No Radiant Historia? Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshit!

Elite Beat Agents gets my vote in its place.

#26 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (264 posts) -

Ghost Trick > Phoenix Wright, but not by much.

I lovez me some Elite Beat Agents though. That would be my runner-up.

#27 Posted by Milkman (16664 posts) -

Elite Beat Agents is LAST?! You're all giant assholes. Every single one of you.

#28 Edited by Mezmero (1870 posts) -

This is a hard one but I'll ultimately give it to Ghost Trick. 999 blew my goddamn mind but it was pretty lacking in the game play department. Ghost Trick is fantastic and really should be played before anyone retires their DS. Luckily it's on iOS and it's great there as well. I personally would've put Picross 3D on the list but that's mostly tilt and Ghost Trick is still better.

#29 Posted by daveleclair--defunct (8 posts) -

Looking back at Elite Beat it doesn't seem impressive, but at the time I remember thinking it was the best thing ever so I gave it my vote.

#30 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

I think Phoenix Wright, Layton and Ghost Trick should all be on the list.

#31 Edited by civid (414 posts) -

Yoshi's Touch and Go fuck everything else! :D

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Ghost Trick for me!

#33 Posted by mrfluke (5130 posts) -

oh damm ghost trick leading

i was originally gonna go with phoenix wright, but yea ghost trick.

#34 Posted by joshth (505 posts) -

At least personally, 999 has the single best ending to any game I've ever played. Ever.

#35 Posted by mracoon (4967 posts) -

Going to close this a bit early so I can finalise the bracket. Ghost Trick wins with 26% of the vote and 155 votes cast.