• 76 results
#1 Edited by Shadz (200 posts) -

There's no doubt in anyone's mind that 2008 is a great year for gaming.  There have already been so many amazing games released, and that's only the start. If all the hype surrounding the games releasing this fall is met, this could possibly be the best year of gaming yet, trumping other great years such as; 1998, 2004, and 2007. With all of the great titles released this year, which do you foresee taking the crown that is Game of the Year? My guess would be either Fallout 3 or Left 4 Dead. If I left out any big titles, please let me know (by big titles I mean a game that would have a good chance of winning this award).

Grand Theft Auto 4
SSB: Brawl
Metal Gear Solid 4
Rock Band 2

Dead Space
Fable 2
Far Cry 2
LittleBigPlanet

Resistance 2
Gears of War 2
Left 4 Dead
Fallout 3

Guitar Hero World Tour
CoD: World at War
Mirror's Edge
Tom Clancy's EndWar

#2 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

GTA4. I don't like it very much, but a lot of other people do. I would say my GOTY will be Fallout 3. Here's to not flopping, eh?

#3 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

I dont think GTA IV is that good, but in my opinion i think it'll be Little Big Planet

#4 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Probably Fallout 3. LBP is just a platformer, and L4D is just a zombie shooter. Neither of them have enough depth. As for the rest... yeah. No.

#5 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -

Having Dead Space, Fable 2, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, World at War, Mirror's Edge and EndWar on that list is just wrong.

#6 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Personally, i'd add Braid and Geometry Wars 2 to that list, but yeah, with so much to come, it's far too early to judge.

#7 Posted by Shadz (200 posts) -
Demilich said:
"Having Dead Space, Fable 2, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, World at War, Mirror's Edge and EndWar on that list is just wrong."
Yeah, I figured a few of those shouldn't be on there, but there's no way of really knowing until we've played them. 
The only real sense of what's going to be good is from what the press has to say about it.
#8 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

I think we all know what the real game of the year will be.

#9 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Still early to say. RB2 has no chance. SSBB won't be it either. Right now, it's definitely between GTAIV and MGS4. I think a few of your listed games don't have much of a chance. LittleBigPlanet could do quite well, and I think Far Cry 2 will impress a lot of people. Fable II, Gears 2, Resistance 2, and Fall Out 3 could all be pretty big contenders, but considering GTAIV and MGS4 got a whole lot of perfect scores, it's gona take a whole lot for them to be able to nab the top spot.

#10 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -

I personally think MGS4 and L4D will be the best 2 games of the year, but with critics it'll probably be the mega boring GTAIV or mega rehash Gears 2.

#11 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Amen, Seinfeld.

#12 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

My GOTY will be Gears 2 but the critics will probably choose MGS4 or GTA IV.

#13 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

In my opinion, I have a feeling it will boil down to GTAIV, Gears of War 2, and MGS4. But here is how I'd like to see it:

GTAIV
Gears of War 2
LittleBigPlanet (Winner)
Far Cry 2 (Runner-Up)
Mirror's Edge

That is how I'd love to see it, and yeah, I'm probably crazy for picking LBP over Far Cry 2, but all of the games listed look awesome.

#14 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -
Karmum said:
I'm probably crazy for picking LBP over Far Cry 2, but all of the games listed look awesome."
Crazy for picking 2 games that haven't been released...
#15 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

It has to be Little Big Planet.  That game is not only looking set to revitalise the platform industry, but also provide features that you'll see carrying over into all the other genres.

#16 Posted by Cribba (293 posts) -
LBP, it's the only game that stands out as something different and unique. But not only that, it seems like everyone who's played it goes on and on about how great it is, I've never heard anyone say anything negative about it.
#17 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

Fallout  or Fable, if they live up to expectations.

#18 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -

LBP has a 59% chance to flop while L4D stands at 6% and Fallout 3 at 19%.

#19 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -
Demilich said:
"LBP has a 59% chance to flop while L4D stands at 6% and Fallout 3 at 19%."
Anyone can pull random numbers out of the air.
#20 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -
SamStrife said:
"Demilich said:
"LBP has a 59% chance to flop while L4D stands at 6% and Fallout 3 at 19%."
Anyone can pull random numbers out of the air."
But only Demilich can do it accurately.
#21 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -

I'm frighteningly good at detecting flops. You'll see when Mirror's Edge is shit.

#22 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -

I'm predicting Left 4 Dead.

#23 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

I suggest you throw The World Ends With You into the discussion.  Such an awesome game.  Also, LOL at Far Cry 2 and another Tom Clancy game being mentioned in this category.  The music games too, as well as Brawl don't belong here.

#24 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -
KingBroly said:
"I suggest you throw The World Ends With You into the discussion.  Such an awesome game.  Also, LOL at Far Cry 2 and another Tom Clancy game being mentioned in this category.  The music games too, as well as Brawl don't belong here."
And I "LOL" at you thinking Far Cry 2 shouldn't be up there. Have you seen any of the previews? The map editor?
#25 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -

Far Cry 2 won't be GOTY. Not even close, sorry bubs.

#26 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -
Demilich said:
"Far Cry 2 won't be GOTY. Not even close, sorry bubs."
caption

#27 Posted by demonbear (1877 posts) -

Well if we take a look at what happened at E3, Fallout 3 seems to have impressed many people who played it. Can't wait to get the final product.

#28 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -

Wait and see. I'm right about this shit.

#29 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -
Demilich said:
"Wait and see. I'm right about this shit."
What do you think will be the GOTY?
#30 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Well, I liked GTA 4 so I think that will be a major contender.  However, MGS4 was great but the upcoming Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, and Gears of War 2 are going to be hopefuls.  Not Fable 2 though.

#31 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -
twenty0ne said:
"Demilich said:
"Wait and see. I'm right about this shit."
What do you think will be the GOTY?"
Well seeing as there is no single GOTY, I'm going to say GTAIV, Gears 2 and a few retarded websites/magazines will go with Rock Band 2.
#32 Posted by mracoon (4979 posts) -

I'll wait until the year ends before I make my decision.

#33 Edited by SpinCookie (680 posts) -

I think it will either be GTA 4, MGS 4, or maybe Fallout 3 (we'll see how it plays, even though I have faith).  The Nintendo fanboy in me desperately wants another Nintendo win at IGN like Galaxy last year, even though Smash bros is the only thing that came close, and while it was awesome, it was essentially a gamecube game.

Out of what I played I pick Metal Gear Solid 4, that game was incredible.

edit: Also Little Big Planet has some huuuuuuuge potential, that's my number 2 pick right now, even though I haven't played it yet.

#34 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

left 4 dead.

#35 Posted by Oni (2114 posts) -

Where the shit is Braid in that list?

And yeah, I'm serious.

#36 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

Braid is GOTY.  By far.

#37 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -

Braid confirmed for HSOTY.

#38 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -
Demilich said:
"Having Dead Space, Fable 2, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, World at War, Mirror's Edge and EndWar on that list is just wrong."
They are all games that you havent played yet so how could you know?
#39 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -

Read rest of thread.

#40 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
Demilich said:
"Karmum said:
I'm probably crazy for picking LBP over Far Cry 2, but all of the games listed look awesome."
Crazy for picking 2 games that haven't been released..."
I'm going to enjoy them immensely whatever the reviews say, so yes, it could make sense that haven't been released.
#41 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1549 posts) -

How could we even determine GOTY if not all of the games listed have been released?  

#42 Posted by Demilich (2598 posts) -
Karmum said:
"Demilich said:
"Karmum said:
I'm going to enjoy them immensely whatever the reviews say, so yes, it could make sense that haven't been released."
I didn't say they'd be bad. I think LBP will be good and FC2 will be great, just not on the same level as certain others.
#43 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -
Demilich said:
"Karmum said:
"Demilich said:
"Karmum said:
I'm going to enjoy them immensely whatever the reviews say, so yes, it could make sense that haven't been released."
I didn't say they'd be bad. I think LBP will be good and FC2 will be great, just not on the same level as certain others."
Yea. This years game of the year will be crazy anyway. There will be a lot of games that could get it. Ultimately it doesnt matter though
#44 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6401 posts) -

I'm really hopeful Fallout 3 will smoke the competition, but for games that are already out, I think it's between Grand Theft Auto IV and Metal Gear Solid.  I'm not sure which - both are amazing.

Moderator Online
#45 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

The year isn't over. It's an impossible question to answer.

#46 Posted by Nik_NYG (558 posts) -

Everyone always names games that haven't come out yet . Just wait to see if it's actually good before you call it GOTY. Out of the game currently out I enjoyed GTA4 the most but I think MGS4 has yhe best shot of being GOTY

#47 Posted by jonnyp (194 posts) -
mracoon said:
"I'll wait until the year ends before I make my decision."
i second that
#48 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

gears 2. cuz... PEOPLE IT HAS A CHAINSAW ON A GUN LAWLZ

#49 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

gears 2. cuz... PEOPLE IT HAS A CHAINSAW ON A GUN LAWLZ

#50 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
Demilich said:
"Karmum said:
"Demilich said:
"Karmum said:
I didn't say they'd be bad. I think LBP will be good and FC2 will be great, just not on the same level as certain others."
I know, but I was giving my GOTYs, not what the official ones would be. >_>