• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 34baxter (5 posts) -

Does anyone else here feel like the top 10 game of the year lists are a little too much? I'm a fan of the bomb, but i just feel like this content is not very interesting, at least to me anyway. It's hard enough sitting through one list, but then we have to do it 5 times. Is that really necessary? I feel like this content needs to be condensed, at the very least. Seems like a waste of production time and effort to produce subpar content.

Giantbomb is kind of garbage this time of year, in my opinion. We have to put up with 3 weeks of bad content for some game of the year lists that nobody cares about.

I hope i'm not being a penis, this is my first post on this site. I just wanted to put my opinion out there and see if you guys agree or if i am just a douche. This game of the year stuff is just not the type of content i personally visit this website for.

The format needs updating.

#2 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

@34baxter said:

I hope i'm not being a penis, this is my first post on this site. I just wanted to put my opinion out there and see if you guys agree or if i am just a douche. This game of the year stuff is just not the type of content i personally visit this website for.

Well then don't read it, ya penis. No one cares that you don't like it.

Plenty of other people are interested in what the crews favorite games of the year are.

#3 Posted by MB (12055 posts) -

you're boring

#4 Posted by Empirepaintball (1393 posts) -
#5 Posted by 34baxter (5 posts) -

The last quicklook was posted on Dec. 17 - 2 weeks ago.

Game of the year lists essentially boil down to a list of about 20 games, but WE PLACE THEM IN DIFFERENT ORDERS. How is that interesting content at all?

#6 Edited by crithon (3081 posts) -

I'm not sure I fallow, the last 3 hour show is the game of the year, the other 4 podcasts are debates on other categories. And two what games are boring? I don't mind the nerd rant aganst Gone Home or Brothers not being a real games, but Zelda and AC4 are well worth talking about. Is this your first time listening to giantbomb's game of the year debates?

#7 Posted by Hunkulese (2652 posts) -

@34baxter: You don't have to sit through anything. If you don't enjoy it, don't watch or listen to it. Pretty simple really.

Games aren't released in December so they're not really missing anything. I guess they could have just played Windjammers for a week.

#8 Edited by bigjeffrey (4809 posts) -

you're a penis

#9 Edited by Brendan (7696 posts) -

I skim through the written lists more quickly than I used to, but I enjoy the retrospective discussion and debate in the podcasts.

#10 Posted by Gamer_152 (14054 posts) -

I don't think you're a douche, but I strongly disagree. I think it's some of the most interesting content the site produces and I think the production time and resources are well-spent on it.

#11 Edited by Dalai (7002 posts) -

News and releases are dead this time of year so the Game of the Year stuff is there so there is content this time of year. Plus, they need a break for the holidays like everybody else.

#12 Posted by MetalBaofu (1353 posts) -

@34baxter said:

You want them to work during Christmas/New Year?

As for the GotY podcasts, I don't care much about the list itself, but I do enjoy listening to them discuss stuff and make their decisions.

#13 Posted by wjb (1639 posts) -

Stop being such a penis, penis!

#14 Posted by PandaBear (1310 posts) -

@34baxter said:

Does anyone else here feel like the top 10 game of the year lists are a little too much? I'm a fan of the bomb, but i just feel like this content is not very interesting, at least to me anyway. It's hard enough sitting through one list, but then we have to do it 5 times. Is that really necessary? I feel like this content needs to be condensed, at the very least. Seems like a waste of production time and effort to produce subpar content.

Giantbomb is kind of garbage this time of year, in my opinion. We have to put up with 3 weeks of bad content for some game of the year lists that nobody cares about.

The format needs updating.

Not to be that guy, but you have two posts and you're bashing the site for something that has been going on for years. And you expect the guys to come into the office everyday over the Christmas break and make content? AND I'm pretty sure they've crunched the numbers and seen how many clicks they get and know it's worth it.

Giant Bomb is an opinionated website and forcing the guys to rank their games in order of 10 to 1 helps cut through the noise and gives a clear picture of what they think of the year of gaming. If you don't care, fine, but it's an easy way to make content over a dead time of year. It's a week or two out of 52 a year... #dealwithit

#15 Posted by Evilsbane (4542 posts) -

You don't seem like you trying to troll and I am sure a few would agree with you but, your kinda being a penis.

#16 Posted by adam1808 (1386 posts) -

Matt Rorie sez you're a penis.

#17 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

They do look pretty similar, like those were the only games all game critics had time to play and love. I am not saying there are better games out there, but it seems like every year most game critic for the most part have very similar lists.

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6343 posts) -

See, you keep saying things like "We have to put up with" and "nobody cares". Clearly people do care about it. You're just not one of them.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I never gave a damn about Daily Dota, myself. But me not liking it doesn't mean nobody does, and I don't expect the site to change because of one thing I personally never watched. That would be ludicrous.

#19 Edited by djm389 (92 posts) -

Yes, many of these lists look the same, but what I like about Giant Bomb in all things is the personality involved. That really shines in Game of Year time. They have those weird videos (you're a weird video), a variety of lists from non-Bomb people that are often not the normal cliched stuff, and a half of a day's worth of discussion that could probably be dissected by a Sociology study to determine the intricacies of human behavior. That is a lot different than the other game sites. Yes, some of the lists did have similar games, but each list had something weird in a weird position for weird reasons.

Also, what other website would give a 2013 award to a twenty year old NeoGeo video game that few people have actually played.

#20 Posted by BigSocrates (291 posts) -

@34baxter said:

You mean like most people do? They're not in college. There's no winter break for most workers. They do take one, and that's fine, that's how their company's set up and we'd all take it if offered, but it's not exactly absurd to expect people to work during this period. Most people do. Maybe not on the holidays themselves, but even then cops, firefighters, doctors, air traffic controllers...you get the gist.

#21 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I hate when I wake up sometimes and I'm a penis

#22 Edited by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

Seems like a perfect opportunity to post this.

#23 Posted by Random45 (1061 posts) -

We need an updated form of a top 10 list...

I suggest instead of top ten lists, they do top ELEVEN lists. It would spice things up, and it would be a nice change.

#24 Posted by MetalBaofu (1353 posts) -

@bigsocrates: Last time I checked "video game website dudes" wasn't a job that was 100% needed at all times like cops, firefighters, doctors, etc, so those are not good examples. Anyway, I wasn't comparing their job to any other job. What other people do at other jobs doesn't matter, they don't have those jobs. When I referred to Christmas and New Year it was because of what that time usually means for video games. There are damn near zero games released at this time, so they might as well use the time as vacation.

#25 Edited by HatKing (5833 posts) -

Garbage? That's a bit harsh. I think that guest lists are pretty entertaining. I think there could be a lot done with them to make it more interesting. But I certainly don't think they should be scrapped. I mean, how else would I know that John Carpenter thinks I should play Dead Space 3?

Maybe they could work something out in the future to make the lists feel a bit more organic or cohesive rather than just a bunch of separate posts on the front page. But, it'd be really hard to get some of these people to do much more than give them a list of games in an email.

#26 Edited by marc (492 posts) -

@34baxter said:

Game of the year lists essentially boil down to a list of about 20 games, but WE PLACE THEM IN DIFFERENT ORDERS. How is that interesting content at all?

There also haven't been new games coming out as of late. There never are this time of year. If you don't like their lists, then pay no attention of them. When there are new games to talk about and quick look, they will be right on that. The guys are on holidays. You can't expect them to cater to your every need. Talk about first world problems.

Hell, they took time out of their lives to give us a video podcast today. They didn't have to do that, but they did it for us. Be thankful.

#27 Edited by LucidDreams117 (378 posts) -

Ummmm. What?

Are you kidding? You must be new here. This is how it works. Ever heard of holiday break? Been like this for while now. I personally enjoy the game of the year stuff. Sure I may not agree with it all. (GTAV for the win and all that) But if you don't like, don't watch/read/hear it? It's also the norm with a LOT of other sites too. Tis that time of year.

I for one love the content and am really enjoying the production values on this recap videos. (shhh don't tell me anything. I'm only just on Day 5) thanks for thru hard work guys. And also thanks for the VIDEO!!! podcast :)

Happy New Year everyone!!

#28 Posted by djm389 (92 posts) -

@marc: Heck, Jeff may write a review of "Halo: Spartan Assault" using his free time just so everyone will know for certain that that game is atrociously bad. To me, that is true dedication.

#29 Edited by LucidDreams117 (378 posts) -

@djm389: wait, what? Bad? Nah. Ive played that on both Xbox One and Surface. It's fun. I like it. Fits well into the Halo universe. It may not be everyone cup of tea but I doubt it's atrociously bad.

Then again, it's Jeff. He's not a Halo fan I've noticed. Plus this past year, his opinions and mine have wavered greatly where as I used to always most resonate with him.

#30 Posted by djm389 (92 posts) -

@luciddreams117: I've never played the game and will have no way to do so, so I have no opinion. I just found Jeff's strange crusade to spread his dislike of it rather amusing. What I am referencing pops up near the end of the newest Bombcast.

By the way, I recommend watching the new one instead of listening to it. It is quite the VinnCo experience visually.

#31 Posted by LucidDreams117 (378 posts) -

Oh for sure. I've already downloaded it. Gonna watch it after I'm done Day 5. :)

#32 Posted by Kolonel_Kool (327 posts) -

@34baxter said:

Well then don't read it, ya penis. No one cares that you don't like it.

Plenty of other people are interested in what the crews favorite games of the year are.

The old censorship argument! If you don't like it, make your own conscious decision to avoid it. I hope one day people will realize that imposing their views to entice change is morally presumptuous.

#33 Edited by Fattony12000 (7088 posts) -

"You're a wasteland."

#34 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@dixavd said:

You should play The Last of Us

#35 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

The reason I come to Giantbomb is very simple. It's because of Jeff. Because of Parrick. Because of Brad, Vinny, Alex, Drew and everybody else working here.

When Brad started talking about Brothers, I knew I'd love it just the same. This is because over the course of a number of years, I feel like I've got to know these people, what kinds of games they like to play and how that relates back to my own interests.

With that said, reading about the guys' top ten games of the year helps to reinforce my idea of what to expect from them. It helps to create a more fleshed out perception, to then better help me form my own opinion based upon theirs.

Plus, the lists are just damn entertaining in their own right, too. :)

#36 Posted by mrfrox250 (61 posts) -

You're a Boring -_-

#37 Edited by HH (599 posts) -

i love goty lists, i find it's the best opportunity for getting into new stuff. any goty list will do, even yours OP, so if you're not too busy being a grouch, i'd like to see it.

#38 Edited by Shortbreadtom (688 posts) -

I love the GotY stuff because I love hearing people argue about games in a funny, respectable manner.

#39 Posted by McLargepants (361 posts) -

I love the GotY stuff because I love hearing people argue about games in a funny, respectable manner.

That's pretty much it. I find it amusing to listen to 6 extremely opinionated dudes argue about what the best things of the year were. Its fun, and worthwhile to get more in depth opinions out of them.

#40 Posted by Hamst3r (4456 posts) -

@34baxter: Games aren't released in December

Aww hell naw, dawg. I need my Woodcutter Simulator 2013 quick look! There's also a holiday version of Viscera Cleanup Detail in which you mop up blood in Santa's workshop, some game called Shady's Poopong in which a disembodied monkey head is volleyed over a toilet bowl by two pieces of puppy, Hooked on Bass Fishing for 3DS, and Motor Rock the Russian Rock and Roll Racing rip-off! There's even an air combat game for Drew and Vinny entitled Cold Alley, because Flight Club is awesome.

Not to mention a handful of other games that actually look good, but I want the bad stuff.

#41 Posted by Zrais (143 posts) -

This is my favorite content of the year actually..so..go away.

#42 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

I'll be honest, as much as I still enjoyed the content this year overall I do miss the video top tens from the staff this year that we got previously, I know they kind of did that in their daily videos anyway but they weren't as polished as those other videos (I'm talking specifically about when they say their top ten games, the different eras of giant bomb parts were fantastic) I guess the written lists were basically that anyway and they would have probably pretty much read those out but it's still kind of a shame in my opinion, though I can understand that this year has been a more difficult one (to say the least) than usual and they've done a remarkable job in terms of the guest tops tens and the production quality in the daily videos they did put out.

I really enjoy the game of the year week though, the podcasts especially are a lot of fun and remind me of games I may have forgotten during the year (considering all the festive sales it's pretty good timing for that too)

#43 Posted by joshwent (2143 posts) -

@34baxter said:

Exactly. Don't they get a damn break?

Jeff has made it clear multiple times that part of the benefit of the whole GotY thing is that they can still have new content when 1) They are all physically not in their office due to the holidays, and 2) There is practically nothing going on in the wider world of games... due to the holidays.

If they're taking a break, and you don't like what's up on the site, maybe you should take a break too, and just come back when all of the wonderful (FREE, because you're not a subscriber) content is back.

(not to mention, that they just did a fucking podcast from their respective homes. What more do you want?!?)

#44 Edited by VeggiesBro (117 posts) -

I enjoy the content Giantbomb puts out this time of year. It's funny, opinionated, in-depth and just fun overall.

#45 Posted by Brodehouse (9624 posts) -

Sounds like you're being a penis. No offense.

#46 Posted by Superkenon (1396 posts) -

Listen to the podcasts if you haven't. That's where the action is.

I actually found myself missing the usual list format from the last few years. Listening to the dudes perform their little monologues for each game in their list is always fun.

#47 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@dixavd said:

You should play The Last of Us

I know! I will I promise. My Dad's already said he's fine with me borrowing it at some point, it's a matter of 'when' not if. (It does look impressive though - something I actually didn't expect).

#48 Posted by 34baxter (5 posts) -

You people do realize that most of the working population in the United States does work around the holidays, right? Are you all middle school kids that get two weeks off?

Besides, its not like the content couldn't be recorded beforehand and then released periodically throughout the holiday season. That's an option as well.

Who gives a shit if new games are not being released? Sometimes the best quicklooks are quicklooks of shitty games. Not every quicklook needs to be the latest AAA blockbuster to be entertaining.

Top 10 lists are garbage, the discussion it produces is garbage, yet somehow every fucking gaming outlet feels the need to shit out a fucking list as if it is quality content.

Every single list is (mostly) the same. OH YOU THOUGHT BIOSHOCK WAS NUMBER ONE???? I THOUGHT IT WAS NUMBER FOUR HAHAHAH! fucking fascinating. its shit content that produces shit discussion.

I think most of the people that care about giant bomb enough to actually post on the giant bomb forums are just too blinded by their fandom to actually produce a compelling argument against anything i've said. Giantbomb can put out anything you want and you will lap it up and ask for more.

Demand quality.

#49 Posted by HH (599 posts) -

dude... in my Top Ten New Posters of 2013 who turned up Purely to Spew Bile, you're in with a pretty good chance of taking it all on the last day of the competition. congratulations.

#50 Posted by djm389 (92 posts) -

@34baxter: Yes, it could be a a giant fanboy conspiracy to actively like all content without discretion. Or maybe... just maybe... we feel that this is quality content and unique compared to other sites. Personally, the Giant Bomb top ten is the only top ten that I read. They actually show how the sausage is made, which to me, is the fascinating part.

So, whatever, we have a difference of opinion and you'll never think this is good content. That's fine. Everyone has their own opinions and hooray and all of that good stuff. I just want to defend the guys because you are insinuating laziness and phoning it in when the Game of the Year stuff is certainly not that. It seems like super hard work. I mean, they post MORE content than usual, not less like you are implying. There are twelve hours of podcasts, an hour and a half of videos (including videos that actually require production [despite still being super silly]), AND the normal podcasts, quick looks, and Professional Fridays. Plus, Patrick and Alex put a lot of hard work into getting those guest top ten lists.

So, it may not be content you like, but I would like to stress they still put a lot of effort behind it. Have you tried listening to the podcasts? It is a heck of a lot more than arguing about position. Its more of a "year retrospective" than anything else. Heck, they don't even approach the main top ten list until the last two hours. Plus, your argument about them taking a break is super weird to me. ALL internet websites take a break around this time. There isn't much going on. There are like five garbage games coming out. So, they would do five quick looks... and then what? Sit around and twiddle their thumbs?

I really should stop putting so much effort into replying to things like this. But I will demand quality as you suggested. So, I will demand they keep doing this every year because I really look forward to it.