#1 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Anyone else watch it? If so what did you think about it?

I thought it was pretty good. Pretty fateful recreation of the source material down to a lot of specific lines of dialogue. Also I think that most of the characters are spot on (with the exception of Sansa and Robert). I'm certainly looking forward to the next episode.

#2 Edited by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

I searched for this before creating my own.

GOD ITS AWESOME.

This week's was even better!

That chick that is playing Daenerys is pretty hot!

My only 2 beefs so far are Robb and Jon are too old.  Robb is 14 in the book, and so is Jon.  They have beards on the show.

And Catelyn Stark is too old as well.

#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I haven't watched it yet, I decided to cancel my cable. I keep hearing good things so far, though.

#4 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Haven't read any of the books but I liked the first episode. Going to watch the second episode now.

#5 Posted by ajamafalous (11996 posts) -

I keep hearing about this; someone give me a rundown. What is it? Sell it to me in two sentences.

#6 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" I keep hearing about this; someone give me a rundown. What is it? Sell it to me in two sentences. "
Two words.

Boobs, fucking.

I haven't seen it, but that's what I heard. Need to watch it.
#7 Posted by Shard (106 posts) -

only watched the first episode, its not bad, high production value.  Check out the books if your have the time, they are worth the read.

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (11996 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" I keep hearing about this; someone give me a rundown. What is it? Sell it to me in two sentences. "
Two words.Boobs, fucking.I haven't seen it, but that's what I heard. Need to watch it. "
Well shit, count me in.
#9 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
It's what Dragon Age was trying to be.

I read the books, though, and some of the casting seemed really weird to me, so I shall abstain from watching it for the time being.
#10 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

The first episode is on my computer waiting to be watched. :)

#11 Posted by armaan8014 (5404 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @Claude said:
" @ajamafalous said:
Two words.Boobs, fucking.I haven't seen it, but that's what I heard. Need to watch it. "
Well shit, count me in. "
Im in
#12 Posted by armaan8014 (5404 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" @ajamafalous said:
It's what Dragon Age was trying to be. "
Im DOUBLE in
#13 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@ajamafalous: @armaan8014:

Straight from this melcene's blog.

HBO's Game of Thrones premiered last night.  It should be no surprise, given that it's an HBO series, that there were lots of boobs in the episode, and some straight-up, no-doubt-about-it fucking.  But for anyone who's read the books, the show follows them quite well so far.  I'm still not terribly keen on Lena Headey as a blonde, but at least she's a good actress.
#14 Edited by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

Don't have HBO, and even if I did, I still have the entirity of The Wire too get through on DVD.

I'll give it a shot in a year or so. Quick question though, is Sean Bean a good or bad guy?

#15 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Vonocourt said:
" Don't have HBO, and even if I did, I still have the entirity of The Wire too get through on DVD.I'll give it a shot in a year or so. Quick question though, is Sean Bean a good or bad guy? "
Good.
#16 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@Vonocourt said:
" Don't have HBO, and even if I did, I still have the entirity of The Wire too get through on DVD.I'll give it a shot in a year or so. Quick question though, is Sean Bean a good or bad guy? "
Good. Too good in fact...
#17 Edited by Einherjan (588 posts) -

Sean Bean is actually pretty good in the show. So far, I don't know if you can say that any of the characters are truly bad-- with an exception or two. You just got a lot of dudes vying for the throne. I want to read the book now.

Still thinking The Borgias is a better show right now, though.

#18 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

It's almost as if no one here has heard of the internet. I don't even own a TV these days and I've seen both episodes of Game of Thrones.

#19 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Einherjan said:
"The show's pretty good. Kinda wanna read the book, or the series?"
The new book is (finally) coming out in just a few months.  I'd recommend starting now so you can be part of the zeitgeist!
#20 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@Einherjan said:
" Sean Bean is actually pretty good in the show. So far, I don't know if you can say that any of the characters are truly bad-- with an exception or two. You just got a lot of dudes vying for the throne. I want to read the book now. Still thinking The Borgias is a better show right now, though. "
#21 Posted by Einherjan (588 posts) -
@Enigma777: Yeah, I am going into the series pretty blind. Haven't watched the second episode yet.

@EvilTwin: Thanks for the info.
#22 Edited by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@Einherjan: Fair enough. It's a pretty fantastic story in my opinion and I highly recommend it. 
#23 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Einherjan:  Anything to earn a new convert. :P
#24 Posted by NukePuke (31 posts) -

I liked it but was disappointed when they cut away right before the barbarian guy was about to mount the cute blonde.

#25 Posted by JillSammich (105 posts) -

I'll wait for it to come to Netflix.  I need to watch the first episode.  My friends are raving about it.

#26 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (500 posts) -
@NukePuke: so you didn't see the second ep then?

This show is awesome.
#27 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Episode 2 was great, I honestly wanted to punch that little blonde bastard.

Arya is awesome!

#28 Posted by Jimbo (9813 posts) -

I've only seen the first episide and thought they did a good job for the most part (I've read the books).  Arya is awesome.

Not convinced Cersei is hot enough to sell the character though - parts of the story rely on her possessing an almost Helen of Troy level of beauty, but imo she actually looked a bit rough around the edges in the first episode.

#29 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

The show is excellent, it is very faithful to the source material as well.  It almost screamed "HBO make a show out of me!!!" because believe it or not if anything they are likely to tone down not add in "adult" content.  As for evil characters there is only.... two who have been introduced so far that I would literally call "evil" people.  Not that there isn't a ton of others.  Technically I think they showed a third but he was so lightly touched on if you didn't know the books you would have no idea who the dude was anyway.  The series has very few real "bad guys" in it.  The Stark family is definitely the protagonists though.

I agree the casting is a little tough but face it.  If they had used people of the correct ages (Daenerys (sp) is supposed to be 14 too...) people would either fail to relate to the characters, say it is too unrealistic, or you couldn't air the show to begin with due to underage content.  The only one that really bothers me is Catelyn cause she is definitely too old, but you know what?  She has performed her role in excellent fashion so far so who cares?  Not me.

#30 Posted by Wilcox (8 posts) -

I'm loving the series and have been  listening to the audiobook as a supplement to the show . I must say they are suprisingly true to the book. I've gotten about as far in the book as they are in the show so i can't wait to know more. Great show!

#31 Posted by NukePuke (31 posts) -
@Scarlet_Rogue: Not yet. I have episode 2 on my dvr. But if you're hinting that it shows the cute blonde girl gets sodomized then I'm watching it first thing tonight.
#32 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (500 posts) -
@NukePuke: Sodomy plus good man. Sodomy plus.
#33 Posted by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

The youngest Stark girl and the Dwarf saved this show for me. I've watched both Ep1 and Ep2 now and so far it seems very boring except these two mentioned characters. I'm sure it picks up, but slow start indeed.

#34 Posted by GunstarRed (5188 posts) -

I found the first episode to be pretty boring but I'll still watch the second episode when it's on tonight to give it more of a chance. Some of it looked lovely like the snowy forest at the beginning and other parts looked like something out of Hercules or Xena. I found a ton of the acting and dialogue to be really wooden and kind of misplaced especially everytime they said "fuck".
#35 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @ajamafalous: @armaan8014:

Straight from this melcene's blog.

HBO's Game of Thrones premiered last night.  It should be no surprise, given that it's an HBO series, that there were lots of boobs in the episode, and some straight-up, no-doubt-about-it fucking.  But for anyone who's read the books, the show follows them quite well so far.  I'm still not terribly keen on Lena Headey as a blonde, but at least she's a good actress. "
Thanks for the nod.

Yeah, I'm still definitely enjoying this.  But I often have faith in HBO's ability to bring books to life.  I don't really have a problem with the casting too much, although as someone else mentioned, the casting for Arya and Tyrion so far have been the best of the bunch.  And I'm growing to like Lena Headey as Cersei.

My husband's never read the books, and he's enjoying the series too.  It's not terribly difficult for someone with half a brain to follow along with.  My husband already even figured out (after last night's episode) a plot device that will be used later in the Daenerys story.
#36 Posted by NukePuke (31 posts) -
@Scarlet_Rogue said:
" @NukePuke: Sodomy plus good man. Sodomy plus. "
Indeed.

#37 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

It definitely has me interested. After episode 2 I'm really looking forward to Sunday. I just hope it doesn't turn out like True Blood, a show I was interested in for a handful of episodes until it became so ridiculous I'd feel shame when watching it.