#1 Edited by GalacticGravy (545 posts) -

NameMispronunciation
Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat)Shang Ta-Sung
Guile (Street Fighter II)Sonic Boom (We didn't even try)
Regen (Final Fantasy)Reagen (As in Ronald)
Fatal Fury (Fatal Fury)Fatal Furry
Elvoret (Final Fantasy VIII)Evelort

I really can't believe I didn't get "regen." I mean...it REGENerates your health. It has nothing to do with the 40th president of the United States. Weirdly, also, is that I know multiple friends who made the same mistake.

#2 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1539 posts) -

Pretty much everyone pronounces Pokémon wrong, which is funny considering they went out of their way to accent the "é".

#3 Posted by biscuitsandtim (23 posts) -

Right there with you with "regen" haha. It seems so obvious now but it took me until I was about 17 to realize it.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36090 posts) -
#5 Edited by Brodehouse (9640 posts) -

FF6. My friend adamantly attempted to convince me that Sabin is pronounced Say-been rather than Say-bin. And that Cyan was See-in and not Cayenne, his Japanese name.

Gau. Which I pronounce Go but is likely Gow.

When I was young I used to pronounce reagent with a hard G and no syllable for the a. So Ronald Reagan't.

#6 Posted by Bobbyr (79 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden immediately comes to mind

#7 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4605 posts) -

A couple of my childhood friends would call Guile "Guy-Lee". I always knew it was just Guile, but that fucking name stuck with me. There are occasions to this day where I still think of him as "Guy-Lee" instead of Guile.

The other obvious one in my mind is Ninja Gaiden. Always pronounced it Gay-Din.

#8 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

It's hard to remember now. But since english isn't my native language, I assume there was a loooooot of things being said weirdly when I was younger.

Hell for all I know, I'm still mispronouncing something.

@bobbyr said:

This one was never a problem since gaiden is a lot easier to say with swedish pronunciation.

#9 Posted by TheDew (109 posts) -

Ryu. My world turned upside down when I heard the proper pronunciation

#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

I pronounce Chocobo Ch-CO-bo. I pronounce Ifrit just like it's spelled instead of like Ifreet. I didn't pronounce Quezacotl right, but anyone who says they did is lying (they didn't even spell it right). Ryu I pronounce Ree-yu. I'm still not consistent with how I say Hwoarang. I don't even know where to begin with Dynasty Warriors.

Outside of video games I'm even worse about it. Wheel of Time has a pronunciation guide, but if someone corrects the way I pronounce Moiraine, I will fight them.

#11 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2990 posts) -

Quetzacolt comes to mind.. Ninja Gaiden.. Ryu.. used to say reegen rather than regen.

#12 Posted by Zeik (2260 posts) -

I still find myself calling Regen "Reagan" sometimes.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10552 posts) -

Pretty much everyone pronounces Pokémon wrong, which is funny considering they went out of their way to accent the "é".

I don't care what Nintendo says, it'll always be "Poke-E-mon" to me!

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36090 posts) -

Ryu I pronounce Ree-yu.

That's actually closer to the correct pronunciation than you give yourself credit for. It definitely isn't Rye-You.

#15 Edited by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

Ryu I pronounce Ree-yu.

That's actually closer to the correct pronunciation than you give yourself credit for. It definitely isn't Rye-You.

Indeed, though I believe the correct pronunciation has a less pronounced Ree.

#16 Posted by SgtSphynx (1272 posts) -

I didn't pronounce Quezacotl right, but anyone who says they did is lying (they didn't even spell it right).

Or you know how the word it is based on is pronounced.

Anyway, I will always say Tie-dus and Rye-you.

#17 Edited by Vuud (1943 posts) -

I still think it's "kokobo" it just sounds right.

#18 Posted by Spoonman671 (4565 posts) -

I didn't mispronounce any names. Everybody totally mispronounces them now though.

And fuck people who say Tee-dus. When deciding how to say Tidus, did it not occur to anybody that Tie-dus is an actual fucking name? Oh, we're going to name this character Joe, but it's going to be pronounced Joo-ee. Kiss my ass.

#19 Edited by crithon (3081 posts) -

Kung Fu, "Syliva" I mispronounced that name as "Saliva"

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36090 posts) -

@hunter5024:

If we're going correct pronunciation, then we might want to throw more L and a little bit of D into the first letter. 日本語, bitches!

#21 Posted by punkxblaze (2961 posts) -

When I was a kid, I consistently pronounced 'Echidna' Eh-cheed-nuh.
Knuckles the EhCheedNuh.

#22 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1539 posts) -

NameMispronunciation
Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat)Shang Ta-Sung
Guile (Street Fighter II)Sonic Boom (We didn't even try)
Regen (Final Fantasy)Reagen (As in Ronald)
Fatal Fury (Fatal Fury)Fatal Furry
Elvoret (Final Fantasy VIII)Evelort

I really can't believe I didn't get "regen." I mean...it REGENerates your health. It has nothing to do with the 40th president of the United States. Weirdly, also, is that I know multiple friends who made the same mistake.

I still say "Fatal Furry" cause, let's be honest.

#23 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I was well until my 20's before I realized that regen was just short for regenerate.

There was a period of time where I thought options was pronounced optations (op-tay-shuns). I had no rationale behind that. You look at that and you think, how can you possibly arrive at that extra syllable there? And the answer is, i dunno. I was seven. ._.

When I read the Lord of the Rings, I thought Frodo was pronounced froy-do.

On the topic of Bravely Default, I would like to bring attention to the way Agnes is pronounced in the english version. I WILL NOT pronounce a character's name wrong just because the Japanese people who originally made the game took an english name and mispronounced it themselves. Egg-ness, goddamnit! That is what the name is. That is how it is said,.

#24 Edited by Itwongo (1132 posts) -

Nothing, never. Closest I got was calling Chain Chomps dogs because I didn't know their actual name. I didn't even get Quezacotl wrong because I knew about the dinosaur, and figured they spelled it wrong. But everybody and their mother said Zee-lotts when talking about StarCraft.

#25 Posted by Nightriff (4923 posts) -

Deus Ex as Do-ece Ex in 2011. Had such a hard time pronouncing that word for basically the whole year

#26 Posted by GalacticGravy (545 posts) -

@thedew said:

Ryu. My world turned upside down when I heard the proper pronunciation

Yes this too. We said Rai-You instead of Ree-You

#27 Posted by rachelepithet (1350 posts) -

@punkxblaze: You mean its not ee-chidd-na? Is it eck-Edna or Eh-kiddin-ya?

What about game titles. Of course Day us Ex pronounced like Goose Eggs (or Dew Sex)

#28 Edited by iragequit (334 posts) -

I went to grade school with a kid who was convinced that chocobo was pronounced "cock-a-boo". Someone must have pulled one over on him. I told him he was an idiot but he didn't relent.

#29 Posted by ajamafalous (11869 posts) -

@bobbyr said:

I still instinctively say gayden in my mind and then have to immediately correct myself.

#30 Posted by HatKing (5836 posts) -

I found out my friend and his brother mispronounce the fierce deity character from Majora's Mask as "fierce diet-y".

#31 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6103 posts) -

I still butcher Suikoden as "Sew-coy-den." I don't particularly give a wet fart.

#32 Posted by ch3burashka (5017 posts) -

S.N.E.S. as "snesssss".

Come at me, bros.

#33 Posted by punkxblaze (2961 posts) -

@punkxblaze: You mean its not ee-chidd-na? Is it eck-Edna or Eh-kiddin-ya?

What about game titles. Of course Day us Ex pronounced like Goose Eggs (or Dew Sex)

I feel like there is a joke to be had with 'eh-kiddin-ya'. Unless that is the joke and I have MISSED IT WILDLY. Yeah, it turns out it's Eh-Kidna.

I think. This is making doubt myself. I need an Australian, they would know.

#34 Edited by Hamst3r (4458 posts) -

Let's see...

The obvious Rye-you nonsense.

M. Bison was Mr. Bison.

Mega Man's very own Dr.Willy.

Wolfensteen... (Do you also say "Froaderick"?)

Faxanadu, pronounced Fax-Anna-Dew. Apparently it's pronounced Fah-Zanna-Dew.

Ys AKA: Wise / Whys / Y's. Oh, it's "ease"? Okay.

And for the longest time, I couldn't decide if it was "Cat Trap" or "Cat Rap"... or "Ca-Trap". Thanks, Catrap.

#35 Posted by GearSol (26 posts) -

@vuud: I did the same thing with Chozo, I guess since it might've looked Greek in origin to me.

That's the only instance I can think of off the top of my head, though... unless you want to get in a fight about how Samus Aran is pronounced.

#36 Posted by SgtSphynx (1272 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

Wait, what? I refuse to believe it's Fah-Zanna-Dew, it has been and always will be Fax-Anna-Dew

#37 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

It's pronounced "Pacman"

#38 Posted by Slag (4075 posts) -

yeah Ninja Gaiden for me as well

and I pronounced Suikoden as Sue-e Koh Din for years. And now apparently I know I've been mispronouncing Faxanadu.

One I did get right that all my friends always got wrong was Magneto.

#39 Edited by Damodar (1303 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

Wait, what? I refuse to believe it's Fah-Zanna-Dew, it has been and always will be Fax-Anna-Dew

Yeah, it's Fah, because it's a sequel in a series of games just called Xanadu. But yeah, eff that noise, it's Fax-anna-doo always.

@slag said:

and I pronounced Suikoden as Sue-e Koh Din for years. And now apparently I know I've been mispronouncing Faxanadu.

Well that's pretty much it, it's Soo-ee-koh-den.

I feel like there is a joke to be had with 'eh-kiddin-ya'. Unless that is the joke and I have MISSED IT WILDLY. Yeah, it turns out it's Eh-Kidna.

Yeah, it's Eh-Kid-Na or Ee-Kid-Na. Thongs are fine and fuck Sydney/Canberra.

#40 Posted by GalacticGravy (545 posts) -

Want to throw these in. While I never said these, and I wasn't technically a kid, back during vanilla WoW I had guildmates say Hearthstone "Heerthstone", Scholomance "Show-low-mance", and C'Thun "See-Thun".

Boiled my blood right the fuck up every time. SKOL-O-MANCE. It's a magician's SCHOOL. SKOOL. Get it? And C'Thun being a play on Cthulhu and all.

#41 Edited by Scrawnto (2435 posts) -

I pronounce Chocobo Ch-CO-bo. I pronounce Ifrit just like it's spelled instead of like Ifreet. I didn't pronounce Quezacotl right, but anyone who says they did is lying (they didn't even spell it right). Ryu I pronounce Ree-yu. I'm still not consistent with how I say Hwoarang. I don't even know where to begin with Dynasty Warriors.

Outside of video games I'm even worse about it. Wheel of Time has a pronunciation guide, but if someone corrects the way I pronounce Moiraine, I will fight them.

I wanted to be a paleontologist as a kid. There was a pterosaur called Quetzalcoatlus, so I learned how to pronounce Quetzalcoatl at a rather young age. To be fair, the truncated Quezacotl in Final Fantasy is missing some key letters that would help you pronounce it correctly.

I definitely pronounced Ryu "Rye- you" for a long time. Gaiden was "Gay-den."

#42 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2232 posts) -

For a long time, I didn't know how to say Deus Ex. Yes, I was one of those, except I never called it "Do Sex" I called it "Douche Ex"

#43 Posted by Elwoodan (775 posts) -

The Chao (Chaos?) from Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Still not 100% on the correct pronunciation. also it's not a game, but I hate how Eureka is said in Eureka 7 (something like 'A-O-wreka').

#44 Posted by punkxblaze (2961 posts) -

@damodar said:

@sgtsphynx said:

@hamst3r said:

Yeah, it's Fah, because it's a sequel in a series of games just called Xanadu. But yeah, eff that noise, it's Fax-anna-doo always.

@slag said:

Well that's pretty much it, it's Soo-ee-koh-den.

@punkxblaze said:

Yeah, it's Eh-Kid-Na or Ee-Kid-Na. Thongs are fine and fuck Sydney/Canberra.

Thank you, these are the things I needed to know and you exceeded my expectations. I appreciate your country and its backwards toilets.